• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

Major Tom

Major Tom

Biter

• Members
  • 1,412 posts
  • LocationCommonwealth of Lower Alabama

In ep 5, Shane and Rick put their guns on the hood of a car after Hershel asked for everyone to be unarmed. Rick gave Otis his revolver before he left for the FEMA shelter. How does he now have his gun again? Shane must have returned it to Rick. Could Rick have never thought twice about it --" how did Shane get my gun? How could he have had time to get it from Otis if they were in such a predicament?"

If Shane returned it to me, I would have been a little suspicious since he said everything was happening so fast.

I am not one to over think things but I am coming around on this. Looks like a definite possibility.
For a reasonable fee, I will quell minor outbreaks, enforce quarantines, and dispatch infected relatives.

UniformSierra

UniformSierra

Lurker

• Members
  • 208 posts
Shane could have come up with something much better than that for his sake, but it's nice of him to screw himself over to make Otis look good.

Coulda said he found Otis dead after they split up and he stripped Otis' pack and guns before returning.

this_is_nascar

this_is_nascar

Infected

• Members
  • 50 posts
  • LocationGloucester City, NJ

The same thought occurred to me. Is this just another terrible plot hole?

One plot hole I like to mention as often as possible that's HUGE and could spell disaster for the Vatos gang is when Darly shoots the guy in the butt with a contaminated crossbow bolt he fired on a walker prior to that moment. I imagine the man turns and maybe kills all the Vatos?

Things like that and Rick's gun are starting to point at terrible writing, but I don't let it "bother" me beyond just a noticeable mistake.

Terrible writing is watching Shane pull 25-yards of rope to get Glen out of a well that was 12-15 feet down at the most.
"... it's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go."

Zprime

Zprime

Roamer

• Members
  • 712 posts
  • LocationKnoxville TN
The whole gun thing came to mind for me right when Rick pulled it out & laid it on the hood. I was so shocked last ep that I didn't even notice Shane taking the gun from Otis. I remember thinking "well there goes Ricks piece" when Shane left Otis to die. I'm glad to see it made it but the OP made some valid points that I hope the writers work into the story. So far theres starting to be a growing list of things that if thought on should be brought up. I know it's a show & some of the regular rules don't apply..and also there are some stupid people in this world who don't pick up on stuff right in front of them..but the list keeps growing and I'm hoping it's not plot holes thats coming about from poor writing.

Nocturne

Nocturne

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 162 posts
In the scene where Shane re-told the events at the funeral I did notice Dale's watchful eye but also the way Daryl was looking at him in the back of the scene, like he also suspected. I don't know that Daryl would challenge him though (not yet till he knows more) but I do feel this puts Dale in a lot of danger.

Edited by Nocturne, 08 November 2011 - 09:31 AM.

John_0515

John_0515

Infected

• Members
  • 34 posts
Hello everyone. I'm a "lurker" here, but felt I'd like to contribute to the great conversations about the show. Thanks to the people who maintain this website. It's an interesting place to be part of.

As for Rick's gun, I'm pretty sure that Shane pried it from Otis' hand right before their "scuffle" ended. That's how it got back to Rick. There's a second and a half or so showing that. The fact that no one has said anything (yet) hopefully opens up a plot point in the future.

Edited by John_0515, 08 November 2011 - 11:18 AM.

charchar

charchar

Infected

• Members
  • 55 posts

Hello everyone. I'm a "lurker" here, but felt I'd like to contribute to the great conversations about the show. Thanks to the people who maintain this website. It's an interesting place to be part of.

As for Rick's gun, I'm pretty sure that Shane pried it from Otis' hand right before their "scuffle" ended. That's how it got back to Rick. There's a second and a half or so showing that. The fact that no one has said anything (yet) hopefully opens up a plot point in the future.

That is what is driving this discussion. Shane said he left Otis to cover their rear and defend them. It seems that Dale is the only one picking up on the fact that Rick's revolver should still be with Otis.

Blasko_Z

Blasko_Z

Biter

• Members
  • 1,243 posts

Howdy, kind soul. Welcome to the forum! I am very new here myself, but you should still be greeted. :)

I agree that it will (hopefully) bring up a confrontation between Dale and Shane. I am really curious to hear how Shane justifies his actions when put on the spot.

iZombie v1

iZombie v1

Infected

• Members
  • 1 posts
How would Dale have even known that Rick had lent Otis his gun? Dale wasn't there when Shane and Otis left to get the supplies and didn't show up at the camp until well after Shane had returned. I guess someone could've mentioned it to him off screen, but it doesn't seem like it is something anyone would make a point to mention considering all the other events that have occurred. Based on what he knows about the incident right now, any doubt Dale has regarding Shane's story would have to be rooted in events that occurred in the series prior to Carl getting shot. Now, I could see someone mentioning the fact that Otis used up all of Rick's bullets or make some other off hand remark in a future episode, leading Dale to start connecting the dots in his mind. But based on what he knows right now as of this moment, Shane's story shouldn't really seem all that implausible.

Blasko_Z

Blasko_Z

Biter

• Members
  • 1,243 posts

How would Dale have even known that Rick had lent Otis his gun? Dale wasn't there when Shane and Otis left to get the supplies and didn't show up at the camp until well after Shane had returned. I guess someone could've mentioned it to him off screen, but it doesn't seem like it is something anyone would make a point to mention considering all the other events that have occurred. Based on what he knows about the incident right now, any doubt Dale has regarding Shane's story would have to be rooted in events that occurred in the series prior to Carl getting shot. Now, I could see someone mentioning the fact that Otis used up all of Rick's bullets or make some other off hand remark in a future episode, leading Dale to start connecting the dots in his mind. But based on what he knows right now as of this moment, Shane's story shouldn't really seem all that implausible.

Hmm, it seems I have gotten ahead of myself with my theories. You are right. Perhaps instead of Dale picking up on that particular detail during Shane's eulogy, he just sensed a sudden undeniable stench pouring from Shane's mouth. The stench of bullshit.

Cammi

Cammi

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 154 posts

I was thinking the same thing. At the funeral Shane stated that they were out of ammo on the rifles and down to hand guns. He further states that Otis told him to run and he would cover the rear. No one thought how Otis may cover Shane's butt without Rick's gun. Everyone is still reeling from the CDC, losing Sophia, being on the road, etc....I think Hershall will be the one to first suspect something is up.

Actually, I think it'll either be Rick or Dale (or both) that notice the holes in Shane's story and will bring it up later. I think things are still too "busy" for them to notice it now, but it will come up eventually.

xaviersaint

xaviersaint

A.W.D.N.

• Administrators
  • 1,891 posts
  • LocationColorado
Watch the episode again, it looks like Otis just puts it into the truck and doesn't ever actually put it on his person to use.
Angel: I stopped Acathla. That saved the world.

Spike: Buffy ran you through with a sword.

Angel: Yeah, but I made her do it. Signaled her with my eyes.

Spike: She killed you. I helped her. That one counts as mine.

Blasko_Z

Blasko_Z

Biter

• Members
  • 1,243 posts

Watch the episode again, it looks like Otis just puts it into the truck and doesn't ever actually put it on his person to use.

I see where you are coming from, but still, the family should know that Otis only owned one gun (given their policy on firearms and all). This makes the handguns they were down to, according to Shane's story, were Rick and Shane's. Someone soon is going to piece that together, in my opinion.

charchar

charchar

Infected

• Members
  • 55 posts

That is a very good point. I hadn't thought about Dale just arriving at the farmhouse.

xaviersaint

xaviersaint

A.W.D.N.

• Administrators
  • 1,891 posts
  • LocationColorado

I see where you are coming from, but still, the family should know that Otis only owned one gun (given their policy on firearms and all). This makes the handguns they were down to, according to Shane's story, were Rick and Shane's. Someone soon is going to piece that together, in my opinion.

Yeah are we dealing a plot hole or a plot device for later is the question right? I'd love this to be something that really stands out and brings Shane down.
Angel: I stopped Acathla. That saved the world.

Spike: Buffy ran you through with a sword.

Angel: Yeah, but I made her do it. Signaled her with my eyes.

Spike: She killed you. I helped her. That one counts as mine.

alwaysarmed

alwaysarmed

Infected

• Members
  • 46 posts
Even if Dale doesn't know that Rick lent Otis his gun he may still question Shane since he seems like one of the few people that do have an eye for details, and could smell something fishy in Shane's story.

It makes me wonder if Otis's death spurs the conversation between Shane and Dale shown in the preview where Dale says to Shane "I know what kind of man you are."

And certainly Rick or Hershel should eventually wonder how Shane ended up with the gun, especially since it was emphasized in the scene when Otis and Shane left that Rick gave him the gun. Otis made the comment that it was a nice weapon or something to that effect and then looked over at Hershel. That and the emphasis on them putting the guns on the hood makes me think the gun will be a plot point.
Girls can kill zombies too.

Blasko_Z

Blasko_Z

Biter

• Members
  • 1,243 posts

Even if Dale doesn't know that Rick lent Otis his gun he may still question Shane since he seems like one of the few people that do have an eye for details, and could smell something fishy in Shane's story.

It makes me wonder if Otis's death spurs the conversation between Shane and Dale shown in the preview where Dale says to Shane "I know what kind of man you are."

And certainly Rick or Hershel should eventually wonder how Shane ended up with the gun, especially since it was emphasized in the scene when Otis and Shane left that Rick gave him the gun. Otis made the comment that it was a nice weapon or something to that effect and then looked over at Hershel. That and the emphasis on them putting the guns on the hood makes me think the gun will be a plot point.

Yeah, they are giving one too many dialogue and visual clues about Rick's gun for it to just not come up at some point.

ellie

ellie

Infected

• Members
  • 36 posts

I was thinking the same thing. I think Dale will be the one who questions it. His ears perked up a little when SHane was retelling the story and he's really the only one to have any reason to suspect something is off with Shane (after what he witnessed in S1). I think the other people have so much on their minds and have a lot of trust for Shane that they wouldn't even be thinking about it.

Can you refresh my memory on what Dale witnessed in S1?

I completely agree that Dale caught on to something during the funeral. I also think that maybe Andrea knows what Shane is capable of after their discussion this episode, and she may side with Dale when it comes to light.

alwaysarmed

alwaysarmed

Infected

• Members
  • 46 posts
He saw Shane aim at Rick in the woods with his Rifle like he was going to shoot him, but then quickly lowered the gun when Dale walked up on him.
Girls can kill zombies too.

Blasko_Z

Blasko_Z

Biter

• Members
  • 1,243 posts

I completely agree that Dale caught on to something during the funeral. I also think that maybe Andrea knows what Shane is capable of after their discussion this episode, and she may side with Dale when it comes to light.

There was a scene where Shane has the bead of his shotgun right on Rick's back, and is visibly fighting the urge to pull the trigger. It's not clear exactly how much of that scene Dale sees, but his face makes it clear that whatever he saw was enough.

christhehunter

christhehunter

Infected

• Members
  • 160 posts

He caught Shane drawing a bead on Rick out in the woods.

Dale has been shown to be pretty observant with everyone. I think he'll put together that Shane may have a few holes in his story.

Zprime

Zprime

Roamer

• Members
  • 712 posts
  • LocationKnoxville TN
I hope Dale does start connecting dots here. Plus if you remember Andrea over heard @ least part of Shane & Loris convo in the 2nd or 3rd ep so the dots could really start falling into place if questions arise.

Danhra

Danhra

Infected

• Members
  • 4 posts

He saw Shane aim at Rick in the woods with his Rifle like he was going to shoot him, but then quickly lowered the gun when Dale walked up on him.

I just wanted to point out that Shane didn't lower the gun because Dale showed up. He lowered the gun on his own and then saw Dale standing there.

Also, I really like what the poster above pointed out about Dale not knowing anything about the Rick giving Otis the gun. I think this just explains why he hasn't addressed it. Dale would have had those pieces put together in no time had he known about the lending of the pistol lol.

I do still think that it will be Dale who figures it out though. Like many people said, the others are just too busy, but it's more than that. The others fully trust Shane; Rick/Lori/Carl from kknowing him pre zombies and the rest of them trust him bc he was basically their leader until Rick showed up. Why would anyone else be suspicious of him besides Dale. Hershel is a possibility too though for sure, he is uneasy about the group as it is.

Sam

Sam

Infected

• Members
  • 14 posts

Terrible writing is watching Shane pull 25-yards of rope to get Glen out of a well that was 12-15 feet down at the most.

I agree and noticed that right away. Ridiculous!

B10.haz.RD

B10.haz.RD

Infected

• Members
  • 81 posts
Hi Everyone!

Just wanted to say that I've been a big fan of this forum and have been lurking on it for a while. I've read lots of really good and insightful discussions about TWD and finally got the urge to sign up when I read this post, so I wanted to offer my own speculations based on what I've seen on the show and read on the forum so far about Rick's gun. Here goes nothing...

There are only 4 main people who witnessed the initial pistol exchange:

1. Shane

2. Rick

3. Otis

4. Hershel

We can eliminate Shane and Otis since one is the culprit and the other is dead.

That leaves us with Rick and Hershel. Both Rick and Hershel:

1. Witnessed the pistol being passed to Otis before the medical supply run to the FEMA shelter

2. Heard Shane's suspicious eulogy about being "down to pistols" in the zombie gun battle

3. Witnessed Rick's pistol placed on top of the car's hood when Hershel announced his "no firearms" rule.

Since Rick isn't all keen on the fact that he got his gun back, that really only leaves Hershel for being the first person to piece the puzzle together (as it was discussed in this forum that Dale was not present when the pistol was originally exchanged).

Here's my (speculated) spoiler synopsis:

Spoiler

Any thoughts, or am I way out of the ball park?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!