Connection Between Bob And The Termites?

- - - - - Bob Termites

bsallada

bsallada

Infected

• Members

Did it seem like there was some kind of previous connection between Bob and the termites that started to come out last night?  Gareth mentioned that it was ironic that Bob was the one they caught.  We also don't know much of Bob's backstory, other than he had been with other groups and things had gone bad.  Could he have been with Gareth at some point?

Also, when Gareth was threatening Bob during the season premire, trying to get Rick to tell him what was in the bag, he used Bob's first name.  I'm not sure how he would have known that, because it seemed like they were giving all their prisoners nicknames.

Also, i think Bob's gonna die on Sunday.

Any thoughts?

slimymeteor

slimymeteor

Biter

• Members
  • LocationOhio

I don't think Bob was involved with Gareth or Terminus at all.  If he knew the place was bad, then why lead his new love there?  Why not tell any of them?  He'd know he was leading himself and his friends straight to their deaths.

We didn't see what happened with Bob and all of the others when they arrived at Terminus.  We didn't see how the whole situation went down between when they first arrived and when they were placed in a boxcar.  It's very possible that they all had introduced themselves at first before they were ordered into the boxcar.

And, yeah, I don't think there's any chance Bob will escape his current predicament alive.

Nemesis

Nemesis

Infected

• Members
  • LocationSouth Chicago Burbs
I know exactly what OP is talking about... It seemed like they had a connection from a previous relationship. I know we don't know much about Bob's back story, so maybe he knew Gareth from a previous camp BEFORE the termites made it to Terminus and settled in. If he split off from them long before they went cannibalistic, then he'd have no knowledge to warn our crew.

When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth...

Clidna

Clidna

Biter

• Members
  • LocationThe Great White North

I think he just meant it was ironic because Bob was the one trying to tell them they didn't have to do this, back at Terminus - "we can fix this." It seemed to me to be more of a jab at Bob's optimism and belief that people can still be good, than anything else. 

Anything else doesn't make sense, because Bob has already told us that literally everyone he hooked up with, died - this was the first group he'd been with that survived. 

gallery_29714_88_586.png

Coloured by Koibito (R&L Walking Dead in Colour)

DaniB7

DaniB7

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationOklahoma

I thought this too when I was watching last night but it wouldn't really make sense with the over all story that they've told for Bob.  It sure sounded to me that Gareth knew Bob though.

mosher

mosher

Biter

• Members
  • LocationOttawa

It's simply because Bob helped ruin Gareth's home. 

Gareth said they weren't looking for anyone in particular, just someone to eat. They happened to find Bob. Gareth felt that although it didn't matter who they ate, it was poetic that it should be someone responsible for ruining Gareth's home. That's all that Gareth meant.

DaniB7

DaniB7

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationOklahoma

Thanks Mosher, that makes sense.  I think it may be the way Gareth plays with his food that may be throwing us off.  LOL!

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators

Gareth said they weren't looking for anyone in particular, just someone to eat. They happened to find Bob. Gareth felt that although it didn't matter who they ate, it was poetic that it should be someone responsible for ruining Gareth's home. That's all that Gareth meant.

Gareth did say that, but it's not necessarily true. They are actively hunting Rick's group and looking for any opportunity they can to kill them. It wasn't just a coincidence that they found Bob.

mosher

mosher

Biter

• Members
  • LocationOttawa

I also think Gareth is looking for Rick. But the point is that he was not saying it because he knew Bob from before. He was saying it to show Bob that Bob means nothing to him. If Gareth let Bob know that he cared enough to track Rick's group, then that give's Bob the satisfaction of knowing he hurt Gareth. Gareth is basically saying that what Bob did sucked for Gareth, but really Bob's nothing more to him than a meal.

leegreenman

leegreenman

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationLong Island, NY
I don't think there is a previous connection but I can see the OP's confusion. Some of the verbiage in that scene was a little odd.

Boss

Boss

S-mart Employee

• Members

this is how i took it

StrollingDead

StrollingDead

Roamer

• Members

I think he just meant it was ironic because Bob was the one trying to tell them they didn't have to do this, back at Terminus - "we can fix this." It seemed to me to be more of a jab at Bob's optimism and belief that people can still be good, than anything else. 

Anything else doesn't make sense, because Bob has already told us that literally everyone he hooked up with, died - this was the first group he'd been with that survived. 

Course he could have been lying- it sounds better than "Yeah, I was with a group that got hit by another group, but I hightailed it and let them to die."

Blasko_Z

Blasko_Z

Biter

• Members

It wouldn't make sense, depending on the timeframe, because Bob would have warned the group about going to Terminus. If he was from there, and either left everyone to die, or saw what they become, he would have ample reason to avoid returning.

Aolain

Aolain

Roamer

• Members

Just wildly speculating: Perhaps Bob was part of the bad guys who terrorized the Termites before they went mad-dog mean? And he was the lone survivor of those guys.

Now that would be an ironic twist.

mosher

mosher

Biter

• Members
  • LocationOttawa

Just wildly speculating: Perhaps Bob was part of the bad guys who terrorized the Termites before they went mad-dog mean? And he was the lone survivor of those guys.

Now that would be an ironic twist.

If Bob was an unpredictable and violent drunk it would be great, but he isn't. He just fades away.

Also, he still would never have gone back. Bob first met Gareth when he walked into Terminus with Glenn and company. 

We do know that the Termites were polite and friendly with Bob's group at first. Abraham pointed that out in the first episode. 

So he may have talked for some time with Bob. The way Abraham said it was just time to go makes me think the happy chatter went on for awhile.

Aolain

Aolain

Roamer

• Members

Yeah. You are certainly right about that.

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators

Gimple also said on the Talking Dead that the Termites M.O. was to make people feel welcome, feed them and then after a day or two reveal what they have been eating. Their reaction determines whether they become the butcher or the cattle. I doubt if it will even be brought up again, but it could be likely that the first group did eat human meat. That would be another horror to think about as you were locked away in the boxcar.

mosher

mosher

Biter

• Members
  • LocationOttawa

Gimple also said on the Talking Dead that the Termites M.O. was to make people feel welcome, feed them and then after a day or two reveal what they have been eating. Their reaction determines whether they become the butcher or the cattle. I doubt if it will even be brought up again, but it coule be likely the first group did eat human meat. That would be another horror to think about as you were locked away in the boxcar.

They definitely ate human meat. But they were sequestered when Abraham chose to leave, not after balking at the food. But it's possible they will never learn that they did and can happily choose to believe they didn't.

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators

They definitely ate human meat. But they were sequestered when Abraham chose to leave, not after balking at the food. But it's possible they will never learn that they did and can happily choose to believe they didn't.

I'll have to rewatch that part again. What exactly did Abraham say about it?

mosher

mosher

Biter

• Members
  • LocationOttawa

I'll have to rewatch that part again. What exactly did Abraham say about it?

I had to re-watch it too, but I think someone posted a transcript somewhere. 

Without checking it was something like how they (Termites) were friendly and all, but it was time to go. It was just time to go.So he told them about Washington and then it was 'back to your regularly scheduled program'- meaning put in the train car. It will be online somewhere- if it isn't up here courtesy of someone else when I get back to the computer later I'll look it up for the exact wording.

mosher

mosher

Biter

• Members
  • LocationOttawa

This is what Abraham said in the train car at the beginning of episode 1: 

This is a transcript I found here: http://www.springfie...&episode=s05e01

I will assume it is correct, possibly pulled from a closed captioned reading, I didn't check. It is definitely what I remember Abraham saying. I must amend my earlier view about how long they were there before they were whisked away. Although Abraham is impatient so his reading of time might be off. Still, there may have been some positive interaction before they were locked up. 'Just got here' could mean 20 minutes or a day, who knows. We do know that Abraham believes in his mission and he very well may have told the Termites about Washington immediately, so maybe there were no Bob chats.

They seemed nice enough, but I was ready to go.
We just got here, but, damn, it was time to go.
When I told them about DC, a wink and a nod from the head asshole in charge, they pulled their guns and it was right back to our regularly scheduled shitstorm.

Clidna

Clidna

Biter

• Members
  • LocationThe Great White North

Could be Abe was feeling a tickle of something not quite right, too - I remember thinking when he was saying that, that he'd figured out that Mars was heaven.

gallery_29714_88_586.png

Coloured by Koibito (R&L Walking Dead in Colour)

Stinky3377

Stinky3377

Infected

• Members

I know exactly what OP is talking about... It seemed like they had a connection from a previous relationship. I know we don't know much about Bob's back story, so maybe he knew Gareth from a previous camp BEFORE the termites made it to Terminus and settled in. If he split off from them long before they went cannibalistic, then he'd have no knowledge to warn our crew.

Me2...maybe it was unintentional but it seems like something was up.  Also Bob has always seemed shady to me.

Nemesis

Nemesis

Infected

• Members
  • LocationSouth Chicago Burbs

Me2...maybe it was unintentional but it seems like something was up. Also Bob has always seemed shady to me.

Bob is definitely a shady guy... Something he did drove him to drink, we just don't know what. And there was just something in Gareth's tone... Could just be the irony that Bob was pleading to Gareth at the trough, or could be more. We'll see.

When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth...

DominusPisces

DominusPisces

Biter

• Members
  • LocationFlorida

Bob is definitely a shady guy... Something he did drove him to drink, we just don't know what. And there was just something in Gareth's tone... Could just be the irony that Bob was pleading to Gareth at the trough, or could be more. We'll see.

Don't know about you, but knowing every group I hooked up with died, and that I probably freaked and ran rather than stay and help would probably require me to drink until i passed out too. Bob's not guilty of anything 'sept maybe being a coward at first. Gareth and the rest of the Munchkiters may or may not have been looking specifically looking for Rick's group. Gareth was saying that he would have done the same thing to any group they came across. It was just good fortune that Rick's group happened to be the first. Hmm i wonder if Bob is so tasty cause of how pickled he is from the alcohol?

Also... did anyone else figure out exactly what was going to happen when we saw all those bubbles coming out of the water Bob was heading to?

Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray thee Lord these bites aren't deep.
Should I die before I wake, I pray thee Lord, my skull they break.

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!