Episode 5: No Going Back Review ( And Season 2 Review Thread)

review

nazacuckoo

nazacuckoo

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationTo your left

I got another one: you can kill Mike when he tries to escape with Arvo.

Whoa shit, really? I knew about Bonnie as my friend got her killed, but damn. Mike, too?

"There's no "I" in team" 

"Yeah, there's no "U" either. So I guess if I'm not on the team, and you're not on the team, nobody's on the God damn team. The team sucks!"

Neganite

Neganite

Biter

• Members
  • LocationNewcastle England
Agh this is bullshit, episode 5 is still not up for me!!!!

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Ad Victoriam!

• Moderators
  • LocationThe Prydwen

Wow, what an episode. The emotional impact, the writing, its such a legitimate artform this game and the story is as good as the Comics and better than the TV imho.

That's how I felt in season one, but season two moved the game to the bottom of the list, at least for me.  For me at least, the game seems to keep following the same blueprint with different characters. 

it just felt samey and needs some overhauling for the new series.

Same here. 

In fact, because of this game, the whole Walking Dead universe started  feeling samey, to me at least.

The group escaped Carver after the total collapse of his compound,  only to encounter a group of hostile Russians, who they dealt with quickly and  brutally. 

Sound familiar? 

Kinda like fleeing a  prison after it  collapses, and then running into a group of cannibals?  

Shield yourself from those not bound to you by steel, for they are the blind. Aid them when you can, but lose not sight of yourself. 

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

Hallelujer! Im STILL Alive!

• Members

Whoa shit, really? I knew about Bonnie as my friend got her killed, but damn. Mike, too?

Mike dying is a bug only left in the PS3 version. It's not canon in any version of the story

Imagine a group of a hundred motorcycles driving down a freeway. Eventually, they hit a junction. One road goes northwest and the other goes northeast. So one guy, we'll call him S, says, "Let's go northwest!" A mile past the intersection, a semi careens into the group and kills ninety of them. Ten are wounded, but they survive and keep going. Eventually, they hit 10,000 miles. S suddenly has his consciousness thrown into his past body right before the junction. Now, he says, "Let's go northeast!" All 100 bikers survive. Happily ever after, right? But what about the ten, no nine, who went northwest and survived? What happens to the reality they were living? Does it just disappear now that S has changed the past? It's not like only bad things happened on that 10,000 mile journey. Maybe one of them fell in love with a gas station attendant and got her pregnant or maybe one adopted a homeless kid that joined the adventure. That 10,000 mile journey would be full of stories. Romances, farewells, friendships...the loss of those ninety lives is horrible and unfortunate, but what would rewriting their history mean? The nine who survived lived full lives and did the best they could with the hand they were dealt. How could it be right to just erase all that? Isn't that worth something? Is there a point to a world where everything is happy? Are people who struggle for a better life just idiots? Being human is about fighting even when it seems hopeless and finding happiness in a world that hates it. Are you saying that's worthless?

nazacuckoo

nazacuckoo

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationTo your left

So here are my thoughts on each of the endings

Shoot Kenny/Forgive Jane/Let the family In

Making the decision to shoot Kenny was a difficult one, but I just figured that even if he lived, the man had nothing left. He had absolutely nothing else to fight for in his life. He was pretty much an animal at that point and needed to be put down. His death is actually really sad in this one because he realized how terrible he's been lately and the fact that he doesn't want to die. This is, of course, before the revelation that the baby is actually alive. I see Clementine forgiving Jane more a decision out of Clementine's desperation to not be alone anymore. That also stems her decision to let the family in

Shoot Kenny/Forgive Jane/Don't Let the Family In

Clem gets a badass line. That's all there is to say. Though, I do like how Jane says, "Do you really wanna go through all of this again?" I don't, Jane. I really, really don't

Clementine Ends Up Alone

Clem not forgiving Jane/Kenny or killing both of them lead to this path. This one is kind of stupid, because a baby wouldn't not cry in a herd

Let Kenny Kill Jane/Enter Wellington

This one got to me quite a bit. Kenny's just been fighting for safety this entire time. He obviously values others but he decides to sacrifice companionship to keep Clementine and the baby safe. He's going to be alone for the rest of his life, but he can still smile thinking about how he kept Clementine safe. Also, his monologue to convince Clem to stay is really sad

Let Kenny Kill Jane/Leave With Kenny

I really like this one. Clem just decides it's not worth living if she can't be with who she cares about and I like to think that deep down, Kenny is glad that Clem decided to stay with him. He might miss Duck a lot, but Clementine gives him a reason to live

Anyway, what I can conclude from all these endings (besides one) is that Season 2 was not about Clementine, it was about Kenny. I never thought I'd like someone as much as Lee

So wait, is it Kenny that you like as much as Lee? Or Clementine?

"There's no "I" in team" 

"Yeah, there's no "U" either. So I guess if I'm not on the team, and you're not on the team, nobody's on the God damn team. The team sucks!"

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

• Members

Kenny

To be honest, playing as Clementine in Season 2 feels like a huge missed opportunity. A child in the ZA has loads of potential but the characters just treated her like an adult and she acted like one

Imagine a group of a hundred motorcycles driving down a freeway. Eventually, they hit a junction. One road goes northwest and the other goes northeast. So one guy, we'll call him S, says, "Let's go northwest!" A mile past the intersection, a semi careens into the group and kills ninety of them. Ten are wounded, but they survive and keep going. Eventually, they hit 10,000 miles. S suddenly has his consciousness thrown into his past body right before the junction. Now, he says, "Let's go northeast!" All 100 bikers survive. Happily ever after, right? But what about the ten, no nine, who went northwest and survived? What happens to the reality they were living? Does it just disappear now that S has changed the past? It's not like only bad things happened on that 10,000 mile journey. Maybe one of them fell in love with a gas station attendant and got her pregnant or maybe one adopted a homeless kid that joined the adventure. That 10,000 mile journey would be full of stories. Romances, farewells, friendships...the loss of those ninety lives is horrible and unfortunate, but what would rewriting their history mean? The nine who survived lived full lives and did the best they could with the hand they were dealt. How could it be right to just erase all that? Isn't that worth something? Is there a point to a world where everything is happy? Are people who struggle for a better life just idiots? Being human is about fighting even when it seems hopeless and finding happiness in a world that hates it. Are you saying that's worthless?

nazacuckoo

nazacuckoo

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationTo your left

Kenny

To be honest, playing as Clementine in Season 2 feels like a huge missed opportunity. A child in the ZA has loads of potential but the characters just treated her like an adult and she acted like one

True, I guess.

I also want to mention again, on a completely different note, how painful Luke's death was.

He was a really nice guy, and he just lost all his friends over like, the last two weeks. Then he dies in a really awful way. I kinda wish that he got a more peaceful death,

or something action-packed and heroic like Kenny's "death" in season one. Such a pity. I really thought he was going to have a huge part in the finale, although

his death stung the most to me, so I guess that is a pretty big part.

"There's no "I" in team" 

slimymeteor

slimymeteor

Biter

• Members
  • LocationOhio

I would like to know if this is true and how you can get Mike killed. I threatened him with the gun when I had the option, but then Clementine just nervously drops the gun after that.

nazacuckoo

nazacuckoo

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationTo your left

I would like to know if this is true and how you can get Mike killed. I threatened him with the gun when I had the option, but then Clementine just nervously drops the gun after that.

JM said that it's a bug in the PS3 version. They probably planned on adding it but decided not to, for some crazy reason.

It would have been cool to have the option, even though I'd only kill Mike on my second save file (Where I purposefully be an asshole at every opportunity).

"There's no "I" in team" 

Pickles312

Pickles312

Lurker

• Members

The one gripe I had was the ice scene. Everyone and their grandmother knew something would go wrong as they "had to" walk across that ice. It's like the balcony collapse in season 1 with Ben.

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Ad Victoriam!

• Moderators
  • LocationThe Prydwen

The one gripe I had was the ice scene. Everyone and their grandmother knew something would go wrong as they "had to" walk across that ice. It's like the balcony collapse in season 1 with Ben.

Based on what I saw, it was a lake and they could have simply walker around it.  

Is saving time worth the risk of death by drowning or hypothermia? 

Shield yourself from those not bound to you by steel, for they are the blind. Aid them when you can, but lose not sight of yourself. 

Pickles312

Pickles312

Lurker

• Members

Based on what I saw, it was a lake and they could have simply walker around it.  

Is saving time worth the risk of death by drowning or hypothermia? 

Perhaps hypothermia was an issue, but just the fact that the scene was at all in the plot, I knew somebody was dying there the minute they started walking.

wyrd

wyrd

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationSevilla

Finished it yesterday and loved it.

I had no idea of how many different endings you could get (I ended up with Jane and let the family in). But it was tough to get rid of poor Kenny...

And seeing Lee was really really emotional! :--(

Make love not war!

deadhead216

deadhead216

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • Locationcleveland
Did anybody choose the option to ask about Christa at the wellington gates? I'd like to hear that bit of dialog

nazacuckoo

nazacuckoo

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationTo your left

Did anybody choose the option to ask about Christa at the wellington gates? I'd like to hear that bit of dialog

I did. Clem says "Is there someone named Christa here?" and then Edith says something like "I don't think so, sorry". Clem then makes a sad face.

So maybe Christa will appear next season? Her and Lilly could maybe meet up with the new group of characters... That is, IF the next season is with a new group of characters.

"There's no "I" in team" 

NiallC

NiallC

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationManchester, England.
It's possible but I don't think she will. I watched an interview with two of the developers where they said they like things to be unfinished, nothing closed ended, because that's how life is. Which is why they decided not to bring Lilly back, why Molly would never turn up again and why it is unlikely we'll see Christa again. She's more likely than the previous two because she was heading in the same direction and has a lot more of a history with Clem, but I don't think it will be enough.

"Get one thing straight. You're staying? This isn't a democracy anymore."

deadhead216

deadhead216

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • Locationcleveland

I did. Clem says "Is there someone named Christa here?" and then Edith says something like "I don't think so, sorry". Clem then makes a sad face.
So maybe Christa will appear next season? Her and Lilly could maybe meet up with the new group of characters... That is, IF the next season is with a new group of characters.

Thanks. As for her coming back though since it wasn't hinted at wellington I doubt she'll make a return. Who knows though telltale has surprised me plenty of times so far and anything is possible.

nazacuckoo

nazacuckoo

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationTo your left

Thanks. As for her coming back though since it wasn't hinted at wellington I doubt she'll make a return. Who knows though telltale has surprised me plenty of times so far and anything is possible.

True. I hope she returns though, because I liked Christa way more than Lilly and Molly.

I mean, I bet they'll have at least one returning season 1 character next season.

"There's no "I" in team" 

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

• Members
Something I didn't like about this episode was that everybody kept talking about Alvin like he was a great man but nobody actually knew him well enough and I don't think we as an audience could get attached to him either. Kenny tells Clem to make sure AJ knows about his parents and I'm not so sure since I hated Alvin. It'd actually be a kind of middle finger to AJ to let him know the dipshit of a father he had

The zombie Flanders

The zombie Flanders

S-mart Employee

• Members

Something I didn't like about this episode was that everybody kept talking about Alvin like he was a great man but nobody actually knew him well enough and I don't think we as an audience could get attached to him either. Kenny tells Clem to make sure AJ knows about his parents and I'm not so sure since I hated Alvin. It'd actually be a kind of middle finger to AJ to let him know the dipshit of a father he had

Clem sits next to AJ.... "Well, when I first met your mother, she wanted to throw me out into the forest to fend for myself, even though I had been bitten by a dog and was in desperate need of medical attention... and your father, when we came across a little house and needed food, he sat on his ass outside and sent me in to search the place on my own." Clem pauses....   "Now... let me tell you about your REAL father...."

nazacuckoo

nazacuckoo

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationTo your left

I liked Alvin, never really had a reason to dislike him. What does everyone hate about him?

"There's no "I" in team" 

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

• Members
Copying and pasting from another post:

"Alvin is terrible. I do admit that his episode 3 death scene redeemed some of his character for me but he was so useless and annoying as shit for the rest of the season (he didn't give me the bandages and juice box in mine). He let his wife walk all over him, he was completely spineless, told Clementine to check out a possibly zombie infested cabin by herself (his excuse being that he needed to sit down), and then told Clementine to hide food from the rest of the group. Fuck this guy. Seriously"

Dead Gov Walking

Dead Gov Walking

Roamer

• Members

Not sure if anyone caught it/already posted about it, but it sure looks like Arvon and co. were turned away by wellington too.
Didn't notice until the second playthrough that they're bags are the same that Edith was handing out

Neganite

Neganite

Biter

• Members
  • LocationNewcastle England

Oh god that was emotional, don't know if I made the right choice, the amount of endings makes me wonder how season 3 can possibly play out.

My choices were.

I protected the baby during the gunfight.

I went to help Luke unsuccessfully :(

I shouted for Kenny and Jane to help when those backstabbing bastards tried to leave with all our supplies.

With a heavy heart I shot Kenny, he was unstable and had nothing left anyway.

I forgave Jane mainly because I didn't want to be alone, we went back to Carvers old place and invited in the family.

Only 36% of people had that ending with Jane and the family though which worries me. Maybe I should have gone to Wellington who knows :/

nazacuckoo

nazacuckoo

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationTo your left

Oh god that was emotional, don't know if I made the right choice, the amount of endings makes me wonder how season 3 can possibly play out.

My choices were.

I protected the baby during the gunfight.

I went to help Luke unsuccessfully :(

I shouted for Kenny and Jane to help when those backstabbing bastards tried to leave with all our supplies.

With a heavy heart I shot Kenny, he was unstable and had nothing left anyway.

I forgave Jane mainly because I didn't want to be alone, we went back to Carvers old place and invited in the family.

Only 36% of people had that ending with Jane and the family though which worries me. Maybe I should have gone to Wellington who knows :/

Glad you got the episode :)

Don't worry about your ending, I ended my game walking off into the distance with Kenny, and only like 21% of people got that ending.

Since there's so many, the amount of players that get each ending is split up a lot. 

"There's no "I" in team" 

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!