The End Of The World As We Know It.

* * * * * 1 zombie apocalypse survival

Neganite

Neganite

Biter

• Members
  • LocationNewcastle England

CHAPTER I

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An alarm clock rang loudly bringing me out of the dream I was having, I flailed aimlessly with my hand trying to find the button that would make it shut up, finally succeeding. I opened my eyes and rubbed them hard, my vision returned and I watched the ceiling fan turning slowly overhead. I climbed out of bed and pull on a pair of jeans and a shirt for work. Leaving my untidy room I head down the hall to the bathroom, kicking my room mates door on the way.

'Get up Matt!' I shout.

I brush my teeth and stare at the face before me in the mirror. My name is Dan Brooks, im 25 with brown hair and a beard, my blue eyes shining amidst my hairy face is the one feature that I somewhat like. I turn on the tap and splash water on my face and run fingers through my hair.

'Last chance Matt, every day we go through this shit.' I say.

I grab a glass and fill it with icy water and head to Matts still shut door. I creak it open to see him slumped unmoving in his bed.

'Did you die in the night or are you just a lazy fat shit?' I ask expecting a reaction of some kind.

I turn the light on which causes a groan from Matt, edging closer I hover the glass over his head and tip the water all over his mop of curly blonde hair. He explodes out of the bed dripping wet, confused and angry.

'Lazy fat shit it is then' I laugh.

Matt shakes like a shaggy dog and grabs a towel off the floor off his floor and rubs his head with it.

'Well that was unnecessary you dick head.' croaks Matt.

'I gave you so many chances to get up yourself, well more than one chance anyway.' I say arms folded across my chest

Matt glances at the clock on his wall before frantically springing into action grabbing jeans and whatever other clothes he can find on his floor and shoving them on.

'Were going to be late.' says Matt.

'Yup that has been my concern for a while now mate.' I reply.

Matt grabs the car keys off the counter and heads into the hall.

'Come on then, ready when you are.' He says rubbing his face.

'Teeth.' I suggest.

'Thanks dear.' He says running to the bathroom.

'Shut up.... Dick.' I say before walking to the door and heading outside.

The sun was shining brightly, a shocking sight for London, an even more shocking sight for London in April.

'Is it raining?!' Matt shouts from inside.

'Yea, badly!' I shout back.

Two minutes later Matt comes rushing outside in a raincoat looks at the sky takes it off and throws it in the hallway, shuts and locks the door.

'You are such a dickhead.' He says pushing past me to the car.

'What I like your anorak, it keeps you dry but gets the ladies wet,' I laugh.

'Yup, regular Casanova me, you know that', he jokes back.

The shit mobile as Matts car was christened was a blue Fiat Cinquecento, we climbed in and it started first time which was as surprising as the sunny weather.

'Wow, what a day, your car works.' I quip.

As we head closer to the centre of London from our flat on the outskirts the traffic gets worse, we work in a general shop that sells pretty much everything, from necessary to utterly useless. Matt once got in trouble after the boss heard him tell a customer 'we sell everything from carpet cleaner to condoms'. Apparently that's not the moniker the owner wants for his shop. The traffic at rush hour on a Monday is usually bad but we are now at a total standstill. Gridlock as far as the eye can see.

'Ahhh shit, any chance of getting to work on time are well and truly gone now.' Matt says.

'I know, we really tried today as well, well more than usual at least.' I reply.

'We'll do it tomorrow Dan, I have faith.' he says.

'You said that yesterday.' I remind him.

Sirens can be heard in the distance now and people have started getting out of their cars to try and see the cause of the chaos.

'For Gods sake why do people always insist on getting out, what are they expecting to see. They will be taking their 'OMG look at me in traffic selfie' next.' Matt complains.

'You are so easily annoyed aren't you.' I say.

'People are annoy....', Matt begins.

A soul piercing scream cuts Matt off mid sentence before several others join, the car horns, sirens and now the screams made for a deafening cacophony of sounds. Matts face turns from mild annoyance to utter shock and fear as he slowly opens the car door and pokes his head out.

'Oh you're getting out now are you? I ask.

'I'm an enormous hypocrite get over it,' he says.

Matt climbs out of the car and on to the bonnet straining his eyes to see and cupping above his eyes to block the sun. I get out of the car too and look ahead to the growing masses of people gathered on the road, I look behind at the few cars behind us, our lateness has put us near enough at the back of the jam.

'Can you see anything?' I ask.

'Not much, I think people are running,' He replies.

'Running? Where?' I ask.

'Umm, this way, I think maybe we should drive away.' Matt says growing concern in his voice.

'Fine by me, this is fucking weird lets get out of here.' I agree.

As Matt climbs down off the bonnet and heads back to the drivers seat the screams get closer and I too can now see hundreds of people frantically running towards us, I swear a lot of them look like they are bleeding badly, its hard to tell from as far away as we are but several seem to be fighting each other. I climb quickly back into the car as does matt, he puts it in reverse and slams hard on the accelerator, crashing into a car behind.

'Shit, sorry mate!' Matt shouts.

But the man behind seems already over it as he too reverses and drives off the other way, now with more room Matt manages to turn the car round and we put some distance between us and the screams. The roads are manic with cars darting everywhere, we see several minor collisions and two very bad head on collisions that I can only assume nobody survived. We didn't have time to check as we continued speeding away from the city.

'LOOK OUT!!' I scream as a person darts in front of our car.

But its too late, he came out of nowhere and we were going far to quickly to stop in time, the man looked to be in his late 40s and had a bloody mouth and arm, that's all I noticed in the few seconds we had before we crashed hard into him, his legs crumpled and he crashed onto the bonnet and was gone over the roof leaving blood splattered up the windscreen. Matt and I sat in horror mouths gaping.

'SHIT, shit shit shit I killed him, is he dead?!' Matt shouted in a blind panic.

'You couldn't have possibly stopped, there was nothing you could do, this isn't your fault you hear me!' Im shouting louder than I intended to but adrenalin is pumping through my veins and my heart is thundering. 'I cant see, he's not moving, we have to check.'

Matt and I cautiously get out of the car and head towards the broken body of the man lying 20 feet behind where the car stopped. As we got closer we saw he was still moving, as we were off the main road now the cars speeding past were less often.

'Hes moving, hes still alive,' I say. 'WERE GOING TO GET YOU HELP JUST STAY STILL!' I shout to the man in the road.

'I have no mobile reception,' Matt says holding his phone in the air trying to get signal.

'You don't need reception for emergency services just try it.' I reply.

'Oh yea, shit. I cant think straight,' Matt replies

Matt holds the phone in his shaking hands, keying in 999 and clutching the phone to his ear. He tries again and again for several minutes with no response. We're on our own we both realise at the same time. Our focus then goes back to the man who has now turned and is crawling in our direction, as we get closer it doesn't seem possible that he is still alive. He is covered head to toe in blood and it looks like both his legs and one of his arms is broken.

'Dan? You seeing this, this, this isn't right. He doesn't even look like he's in pain.' Matt stutters.

I move closer to the writhing body until I can finally see his face close up. Large gashes cover his face from forehead to chin and a large section of his cheek has been ripped clean off revealing all of his teeth on the left hand side of his face, the teeth that are snapping closed and jerking open again as if operated by a spring rather than human muscles. When I finally draw my eyes away from the gore I notice his eyes, the outlines of the iris and pupil can still be seen but all colour has gone, the entire eye is white. But not dead and still, there are swirls of cloudy grey giving the eyes more life than the obviously dead corpse we are looking at. He's dead, that's the realisation that suddenly overcomes me, there is no life left here, no remains of the human who had put on that white t-shirt and shorts this morning. The man suddenly starts thrashing his arms out trying desperately to grab us, guttural moans come from his mouth as his teeth continue snapping open and closed.

'We. Should. Go.' I just manage to stammer as I inch backward towards Matt who is frozen in place.

'Y*cough* Yea,' Matt attempts to say.

We both climb back into the car, Matts hands are thundering against the wheel as his entire body shakes.

'Il drive,' I tell him helping him out of the car and into the passenger seat.

I climb into the car and drive away from the most terrifying thing I have ever seen in my life.

'It.. was a zombie,' Matt says as colour is slowly returning to his face.

'Don't be stupid,' I say as if convincing myself more than him. 'We don't know what it was but lets not get ahead of our selves, lets just focus on getting away from here.'

We drove for miles away from the city centre until we see a collection of cars parked haphazardly around a 24 hour garage which has the shutters drawn closed. I slowly drive closer looking left and right for any more of those things out there, but we haven't seen any since the first.

'What do you think,' I ask Matt as we get closer to the garage.

'I think we need supplied and this looks as good a place as any,' he replies.

'Agreed, we don't even have any weapons though what if we get attacked again?' I ask.

'Check the back.' Matt says.

We exit the car several yards before the garage and opened the boot, inside was a crowbar and Matts golf clubs.

'Better than nothing, Matt says.

Matt picks up his driver club and swings it a couple of times before shrugging and walking back round  to the passenger side. I pick up the crowbar and shut the boot before joining matt.

'Leave the engine running just in case we need to make a quick getaway,' I say.

'Good call,' He replies.

We head to the garage and do a check all around its perimeter, there is nothing here. At least not on the outside, we silently head to the door also with its shutters down. I exchange a look with Matt and back at the car, making it clear, if anything happens, run! I raise my hand to the shutter and after a brief hesitation bang on it 3 times. I hear a shuffling inside. One way or another there is someone or something inside.

'WE'RE ALIVE, WE'RE HUMAN, IS ANYBODY IN THERE?' I shout.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

END OF CHAPTER I

Koibito

Koibito

Biter

• Members
  • LocationIn a Gangsta's Paradise ♪♫

You write very nicely. I myself cant really write from an 'Me' perspective (I find it difficult), but you have a firm grasp on it. Very good

I'm liking Matt. (Although I think you missed a more close description on him. I mean..is he blonde, redhead, etc etc? Is he old? You describe the MC's look, but not really Matt I noticed.)

So I'm just curious as to what he looks like. 

Also, a word of advice.....telling people about the fanfic in threads that doesnt have anything to do with it.....it can get troublesome. I advice either putting a link in your sig, or to PM some friends you think might like it instead. 

Either way, looking forward for more.

bd629b0375becac7160e1d2f9cb1fae26e9b1917

Neganite

Neganite

Biter

• Members

I was supposed to describe him but seemed not to for some reason.

Matt is somewhat overweight but not hugely fat, he has curly blonde hair, and brown eyes, he and Dan are both 25. His and Dan's friendship and back and forth humour/shorthand with each other is something I enjoy doing because its a similar relationship me an my friends have.

The next chapter we will meet more characters il be sure to better describe them.

As to the spreading the word thing I agree I didn't really know how best to do it, so I only put it in the threads ive started and the two most recent issue threads. But good idea on the sig.

Thank you for the feedback, I really enjoy writing and I do it for fun but this is the first time iv really posted something, so cheers.

the Walkin Dude

the Walkin Dude

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationSouthern Md. Chesapeake Bay

Nice start Neganite.

Roll outta my coffin Drink poison in my chalice Pride begins to fade And y'all feel my malice

Neganite

Neganite

Biter

• Members

Thanks mate, hopefully chapter 2 will be up tomorrow.

Neganite

Neganite

Biter

• Members

CHAPTER 2.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The silence that followed seemed to last forever, I was sure I had heard moving inside but the shuffling had now stopped and we couldn't risk standing around in the open much longer, I look at Matt whose eyes are darting around the seemingly desolate road that spans as far as we can see to the North and South. To the West stretching out from the back of the petrol garage is a large fence blocking us from what looks like a housing estate on the other side, more importantly blocking us from whatever is now living there, Distant groans suggest more of the same as what we found on the road out of the city. Zombies is what Matt had suggested, it is crazy right? To the East is a large stretch of grass with a motorway in the distance, I can see smoke rising to the sky in the horizon. We're not in immediate danger I assess as long as we can get inside.

'What do you think?' I ask Matt, 'I definitely heard something moving in there.'

'Hey, do you have any Ginsters Pasties left i'm fucking starving!' shouts Matt.

'Really?' I say.

'What, I'm hungry and you weren't getting us in.' Matt says.

'Look I know you're scared but hell so are we and we are the ones stuck outside, please we're normal, just let us in. Please.' I plead in a last ditch effort.

'We aren't Zombies!' Says Matt.

I groan at Matts incessant use of the word but I can hear hushed whispering inside.

'How do we know that?!' A male voice shouts back.

'Umm we're talking to you,' replies Matt.

'We don't know the science behind this, maybe your a different kind.' the unknown male responds.

'Oh for fucks sake this is stupid, move out of my way,' a female voice says.

The metal shutter grinds and slowly rises upwards, revealing a group of four people crowded around the tight doorway, a feeling of relief floods my body as the girl who took control opens the door.

'Quick get in!' She says practically pulling us through the door.

Once we are inside she closes the door and brings the shutter back down. She appears to be in her early 20s with mousy brown straight hair and hazel eyes. Her cheekbones and nose are covered in light freckles. Wearing a white vest, leather jacket with tight jeans and converse she looks beautiful despite the dirt smeared across her face.

'Thank you, I started to doubt what I heard,' I say gratefully to the mystery girl. 'What's your name?

'Jessica,' she replies, 'this is Holly, Brian and Nick.'

The trio approach to introduce themselves Holly shakes my hand first she looks to be in her 30s and is wearing a smart suit, she has blonde flowing hair and glasses, she runs a manicured hand through her hair and moves on to Matt. Brian, the man who was reluctant to let us in clasps my hand next nearly breaking my fingers in his strong grasp, he's at least 6'3, an inch taller than I am and has long hair tied back, he smiles broadly showing his pearly white teeth, when he shakes Matts hand he gives him a hard pat on the back that makes Matt make a noise I've never heard him make before. Finally Nick a short black man in maybe his late 50s wearing casual clothes comes over and gives me a brief hug which was unexpected.

'Nice to meet you all, I'm Dan and this is Matt' I say.

'So you all made it here from London?' Matt asks

'Yes, I was driving into work when it all started.' Holly replies, 'I'm a personal assistant to a businessman or at least I was, he was a dick. When it all started the roads were chaos, I'm sure you already know that. I saw Jessica running down the road and stopped to let her in, that was before id seen one of those things, other wise I probably would have just carried on driving... Sorry.'

'Its alright I wouldn't have blamed you, but you didn't, you stopped. I might have died if it wasn't for you.' Jessica replies putting a hand on Holly's shoulder. 'I was walking my dog, a lab, he went crazy barking which he never does, I lost grip of the lead and he ran off. Then the screams started and people started running my way, I just joined the rabble not knowing what was happening. But then a group of those things intersected us, it..... it was awful. They were eating them in the streets.'

Jessica sat down staring blankly ahead her eyes slowly filling with tears Holly returned the favour and placed a caring hand on her shoulder telling her its ok, I just listened not sure what to say. Then Nick stepped forward to share his story.

'I'm a taxi driver, Brian here was in my cab when it all started, we decided our best course of action was to get out of the city, but I was low on petrol so stopped here to fill up, it was a wonderful coincidence we happened to find other survivors here.' Nick says.

'Are we done with the bullshit?' Brian said from behind us all. 'In case you forgot, we still have to deal with Bill.'

'Bill? Who's Bill?' Matt says looking around.

'Bill works here, he was bitten,' replies Jessica.

We followed Jessica who led us through the garage to the counter I grabbed my mouth at the sight of the body motionless on the floor, the door to the counter had been slammed shut on his head crushing it, the body had since been pulled clear of the counter leaving a trail of blood. There slouched in the corner against the wall was an elderly man with a bloody bandage on his arm. His breathing was laboured and shallow and his eyes flickered open and closed. I approached and knelt down in front of him. His eyes focused and he looked into mine, his face looked gaunt and drained of colour.

'What happened?' I ask him.

'I was working here when reports started on the news of mass riots in London.' Bill coughs and wipes his forehead with a shaking hand. 'The TV stopped working a half hour later, and twenty minutes after that a car came crashing into the wall outside. A man came staggering inside, soaked in blood, I grabbed the first aid box and started trying to stop the bleeding.' Bills coughing continues but a look of determination crosses his face, he wants to finish his story, the final story he will tell. 'He bled out quickly, it only took a couple of minutes after his death for him to lunge up and bite my arm. I staggered back looking at his rabid face. I hit him with my stick several times but he didn't flinch. Well.... you saw how I finally stopped him.' Bill coughed again and closed his eyes resting.

'What do we do?' I ask turning to look at the grave faces of the group.

'We kill him before he kills us, so far the rules we know from zombie movies seems to be true, destroy the brain, don't get bit, yada yada yada.' Brian replies.

'We aren't murderers, he is still one of us,' snaps Holly.

'For now,' says Brian annoyed.

Brian stomps off, grabbing some snacks off the shelves and helping himself. His attitude is worrying, Bill is not dead yet and he'd already planning on bashing his head in, also we don't know what this is yet, what if we can save him somehow, but looking down at Bill I know there's no way he's surviving. A microwave pings in the corner and we all swing round to see Matt taking a Ginsters Pastie out and blowing it before eating it eagerly. I signal for Jessica to join me for a private word.

'So what do we do?' I ask.

'If he dies then we will do what we have to, but until then he's fine where he is,' Jessica replies.

Jessica's pragmatic attitude calms me especially in contrast to Brian's erratic one, I trust her instinctively, maybe that's naïve but I cant help but believe she knows what she's doing, as much as any of us can in this situation.

'Fair enough, the way he is I don't think he has lo...' I start.

'HELP!!' Holly shouts from behind the counter.

We all rush around to Bill and Holly. Bill has stopped moving and based on Holly's reaction I guess stopped breathing too. Nick steps forward and helps Holly up leading her cautiously away from the body of Bill.

'He's dead,' cries Holly clutching onto Nick for support even though he looks quite unsteady himself.

Bills fingers twitch and his neck jerks left cracking loudly, then he slowly raises his head gazing straight through the six of us opening his mouth eagerly. Nobody is stepping forward but when I see Brian begin too I cut him off. I don't trust him.

'Il do it I say, everyone move away, there's no reason to see this,' I say.

Brian smirks, slaps me on the back and goes back to what he was doing. One by one the group walks away until its just me and the man who was once Bill. I step forward and hold my crowbar against his temple.

'I'm sorry Bill,' I choke.

I raise the crowbar as high as possible and bring it crashing down with all my strength onto Bills head, his skull cracks and blood spatters. Bills body, lifeless for the second time slouches against the wall. I stagger backwards a few feet before vomit forces its way out of my mouth. I wipe my mouth clean as I feel a hand on my back, I stand up and turn around to see Jessica holding out a bottle of water, I take it and have several small sips, slowly I start to feel better. We lock the counter down and draw the shutter, it blocks it off and that will have to do for now. We join the rest of the group who are sat down in a circle on the floor discussing what to do next.

'So where do we go, its not safe here,' says Holly.

'Prison? Shopping Centre? Pub?' Matt suggests.

'You watch a lot of movies don't you,' Holly says with a smirk.

'You watch a.... you... shut up,' Matt fumbles.

We spend the next few hours discussing our options, various places we could hole up. Places with plenty of food and water, weapons is another big priority, guns ideally but i've never even seen a gun in England and have no idea where to get one. Matt suggests we go and live in Buckingham palace which is quickly dismissed, he was only joking anyway but he was taken seriously because who else but Matt would joke in a situation like this. That's Matt though, humour is his thing, he uses it when people have a go at his weight, so I suppose its as good a defence mechanism as any in this new hell as well.

The conversation is broken by a loud whirring sound, we all get up and run for the door, pressing our ears against it trying to locate the noise.

'What is that?' says Nick.

'It sounds like a helicopter, open the shutter slightly just so we can see outside,' says Jessica.

Brian raises the shutter only about a foot, Matt gets down on his knees and looks outside, after signalling that there is no zombies out there Brian raises it all the way. We all rush outside looking up trying to locate the whirring, in the distance we see it, its definitely a helicopter. As we look up at the helicopter in the distance its intercom system cracks into life, before booming a message across the skies.

'To any survivors, there is a rescue site on the outskirts of Reading, we have signs in place directing you to safety.....'

That's all we hear as the helicopter continues flying towards the centre of London. We all stare silently after it before looking to each other clearly wondering what to do.

'Its a long way on what I assume will be blocked roads, but I think its worth it, what do you guys think,' I say.

'I say we go for it, its rescue! Why wouldn't we, come on its better than living in a garage,' says Matt.

'I agree, we should load up as much food and water as we can here and head off,' Jessica adds.

'I'm with you, its best if we all stick together,' Nick says.

'Lets do it,' says Holly joining our growing group.

'Well it seems like the decision is made so who cares what I think, its better than being alone I guess, lead the way Lieutenant Dan seems like you already are anyway,' says Brian.

'I was asking what everyone thought, calm down. Nicks right we are stronger together, Bill was alone and look what happened. Together we can survive this I just know we can. There is rescue! We are going to be just fine.' I say.

We spend the next 2 hours loading up all the cars with water, food and filling as many petrol cans as we can so we don't run out. With our cars all loaded up but early evening approaching and considering the exhausting day we have had we decide to sleep in the garage for the night and set off first thing in the morning. Matt is setting up two makeshift beds in the corner for us both from whatever he can find when Jessica taps me on the shoulder.

'You shouldn't tap people like that you scared the shit out of me,' I say with a tired smile.

'Sorry, force of habit I guess, thanks for stepping up with the Bill situation, I don't know if I could have done that. I'm glad I let you and Matt in. Two more for team alive right,' she chuckles rubbing her dirty face with her hand.

'Yea, thanks for that. Hey here I found some wet wipes, your face is dirty,' I say handing her the box.

'Thanks,' she takes two and wipes the grime and muck off her face, 'nice beds, you make a cute couple,' Jessica laughs.

'Shut it you,' I smile. 'Matt! Jess here is complimenting your bed making skills.'

'That's right i'm a fucking Womble, now stop flirting and go to bed im so tired I could cry,' Matt grumbles.

'I wasn't flirting, he's a dick.... Goodnight.' I stutter.

'It's fine... see you tomorrow Dan,' Jessica says before turning and heading to her own makeshift bed.

I crawl into bed and am asleep before my head even touches the ground. The next morning Brian shouts us all awake, we double check we have everything we need and head outside. Our group of three cars heads out in search of rescue. Matt and I in Matts Fiat leading the pack followed by Nick in his taxi with Brian, Jessica and Holly follow behind in Holly's Peugeot 308. None of us know what we will find, but all we can hope is that its better than what we've been through so far.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

END OF CHAPTER 2.

the Walkin Dude

the Walkin Dude

Roamer

• Members

Good job neganite i am liking this.

Roll outta my coffin Drink poison in my chalice Pride begins to fade And y'all feel my malice

Neganite

Neganite

Biter

• Members

Thank you im really enjoying doing it, im pleased people are reading it.

The Walking Shooter

The Walking Shooter

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationJupiter
Finally got around to reading it and I'm enjoying. I like the banter between Dan and Matt, and I'm loving Jessie. Don't really like Brian though I have a feeling we are not supposed to haha.

My only gripe would be how quickly the shit hit the fan, and how everybody seemed to just turn in a matter of seconds. But that's always my problem with zombie stories that start at beginning.

Keep up the good work :)

Neganite

Neganite

Biter

• Members

Thanks, will hopefully get round to posting chapter 3 today.

I agree shit always hits the fan fast but I kinda feel it has to if its going to believable that the situation couldn't be contained.

lone star walker

lone star walker

Biter

• Members
  • Locationroaming the prairie

Good Story!  I like the fast paced start to things.  I'll keep up with this one for sure.

Neganite

Neganite

Biter

• Members

Thanks very much

Neganite

Neganite

Biter

• Members

CHAPTER 3

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The journey to Reading is 40 miles, with traffic it would usually take an hour. I'm nowhere near that confident today though. We left the garage half an hour ago and progress has been painfully slow, we have covered maybe 4 miles. We decided it would be best to avoid the big roads and motorways as they would most likely be jammed with cars and crawling with Zombies, guess I'm calling them that too now. I just hope this is worth it, what happens if we get there and we're already too late, or worse yet die trying. Maybe we should have just stayed where we were, there was plenty of food and none of the Zombies had found us, except Bill.

'Ah shit not again, couldn't people have crashed in a more orderly fashion,' says Matt as more cars block our path.

'Forget the cars, how many of them do you see, I count five,' I say pointing to the small group surrounding a crashed Jeep on the left hand side of the road.

'Where did you learn to count, there's six, another crawling over there on the right,' Matt replies.

'Still we can handle that, six of us, six of them. Piece of cake,' I say pulling the car to a stop several yards from the group of zombies who seem preoccupied with the Jeep.

'Do you think Holly and the others can handle it?' asks Matt.

'Holly.... and the others, huh', I reply.

'Oh shut it that's not what I meant,' Matt says defensively.

'Knock yourself out, doesn't bother me,' I say with a smile.

'I didn't mean that, but still between you, the arrogant arsehole and the cabbie I'm probably above average in the looks department these days,' Matt says. 'Plus the only reason you don't mind is because you're attention is on someone else.'

'Yea your right, Nick and I are pretty close,' I deflect. 'Come on lets get on with it while they're distracted.'

Matt and I get out of the car and wave to the rest who have parked close behind, they get out and come join us. They all have bits of wood or shelving in their hands from the garage as weapons, its hardly the best protection, Matt realises this too and sighs opening the boot of the car reluctantly.

'You'll just get yourself killed with those shitty things as weapons, so fuck it help yourselves,' Matt says gesturing to the golf clubs in the boot of the car. '£250 they cost me, only got to use them twice, fucking typical.'

'Thanks Matt, can I have the 9 iron that's the one I was best with the few times I played,' asks Holly.

'Yea, that's my best one too, not to brag but I'm pretty good,' Matt says handing her the club.

'Hmm that's funny, I seem to remember beating you,' I reply before heading back to the front to keep an eye on the Zombies.

'He's lying, he couldn't hit anything if he tried,' Matt says.

'Right we sorted,' Brian says pushing past and picking up a club at random, 'lets kill these fuckers and get out of here.'

I feel a familiar tap on my back as the rest of the group joins me at the front of the car lead by Jessica. The five Zombies on the left are still trying to get into the back of the Jeep and the one on the right crawling slowly to join them.

'What's the plan then?' Jessica asks.

'We take out one each, Nick I was thinking you could take the one crawling by itself over there if you could handle that, while the rest of us take on the group' I reply.

'I appreciate that Dan thank you, I'm sure I can manage him, just pretend he's my ex wife and I'm sure I'll find the strength to finish it,' Nick says with a small chuckle.

'Ok and the rest of us stick side by side and take them out,' I say. 'Sound  good?'

'Fine by me, lets do it,' says Holly taking a practice swing of her new club.

'Lets do this,' Brian says before turning and running to the group of Zombies.

'Brian wait!' I shout.

Brian runs ahead as we chase to catch up, he takes a huge swing at the closest Zombie to him sending teeth and blood flying into the air and the body falling backwards over the bonnet of the car next to the Jeep. We catch up just as he is swinging for the second. Jessica singles out a female Zombie coming at her from the left, she swings her club hard upwards catching it square under the chin, it falls backwards flailing wildly. Jessica cautiously steps closer to its head and finishes it off with a blow that cracks it's skull open like a melon. Matt and Holly are stood side by side as Matt with all his strength swings his club at the incoming Zombie, his aim isn't great though as he hits it in the neck. The Zombies head twists to an unnatural angle its neck badly broken as Holly steps up and sends her club crashing down onto its skull and knocking it down to the ground. It isn't hard enough though as it reaches out desperately for Holly before Matt crushes its skull. The final Zombie is mine, I swing hard connecting with the creatures temple, it collapses immediately with my crowbar imbedded in its skull. I pull it out and swing my head around to check on Nick who has just brought his club down on the lone Zombie on the right killing it, he comes to join us wiping sweat from his brow with his sleeve. Brian has vaulted over the car bonnet to the finish off the first Zombie he hit which is still writhing on the floor. He brings his club down hard again and again and again, countless times he smashes his club down into the pile of mush that was once a human head.

'Its down, that's enough!' I shout.

'Just making sure boss,' Brian says dropping the bent and bloody golf club and resting against the car, 'I'll need another one of these pork chop.'

'What the fuck did you call me!' Matt explodes as Holly holds him back.

'Relax I'm only joking mate,' Brian laughs.

'And I'll be joking when I cut your stupid pony tail off you fucking prick, you look like a shit 70's porn star.' Matt says before turning and storming away.

'I'll check on him,' Nick says.

'Thanks, and good job Nick you did great,' I say still glaring at Brian who is laying back on the bonnet.

'Well that was intense wasn't it, I completely owned that one,' Jessica says pointing to the Zombie she took out.

'Yea, you sure you haven't killed someone with a golf club before,' I say finally turning away from Brian to Jessica which calms me down.

'Well don't tell anyone but an ex boyfriend really pissed me off, the clubs still buried in my garden,' she says with a wink.

'Secret safe with me... Psycho,' I say as we both start to laugh.

A knocking breaks us from the moment as we all look around for the source, it only takes a few seconds to realise its coming from the back of the Jeep we just cleared, Jessica and I nod to each other and slowly edge towards the Jeep clubs raised in the air, I slowly reach out for the button underneath the number plate to open the back.

'3...2...1' I whisper.

I press the button and open the back door wide Jessica and I are just about to bring our clubs crashing down on the two bodies inside when we realise they are human. A man and a woman covered in dirt slowly raise their arms in the air.

'We're not like those things, do you have any water,' the man says with a quiet and croaky voice.

'Of course, just hold on I'll be right back,' Jessica says running off to get water for the dehydrated couple.

'Here take my hand,' I say. 'It's ok you're safe now.'

The man leans forward and takes my hand as I help him from the jeep, his matted brown hair and face is covered in dirt, but his green eyes shine through. The woman shuffles forward next and I help her out, her legs are shaky as she struggles to stand. She is olive skinned and has wavy brown hair which is all over the place from her time cowering in the Jeep. She slowly moves over to the man and takes his hand. Jessica comes running back followed by Matt and Nick with water and the box of wet wipes I'd found.

'Here, take small sips, and wipe yourselves clean with these,' Jess says handing them to the couple.

They spend the next ten minutes slowly drinking the water and cleaning themselves. Now clean I can see them properly, they look to be in their late 20s and are clearly a couple as they tend to each other rather than themselves.

'What are your names,' I ask.

'I'm Lucy and this is Mike, thank you, they weren't going to leave. I thought maybe if we were quiet they might get bored and wander off... If you hadn't stopped them we would have died.' Lucy says.

'We're all in this together, its no problem,' I reply.

'We were heading to Reading when we crashed trying to avoid those things, there is recue there apparently,' says Mike.

'Yea we heard, we're on our way there as well,' Brian says.

'You're welcome to join us obviously,' says Holly.

'Lets get this road cleared and we'll be one our way,' says Matt who walks over to Brian and pushes a second club hard into his chest. 'You want to be a dick to everyone that's fine, but sooner or later people will stop giving a shit about you. If you break this one don't you dare ask for another.'

Brian takes it without a word but stares down Matt as he walks away. We spend the next hour and a half slowly clearing the road before finally creating enough space for our convoy to get through. Lucy and Mike have joined Jessica and Holly in their car, Matt complained that 'this new guy turns up and gets to ride with all the ladies.' Apparently my company isn't good enough. The journey continues much of the same for the next 30 miles, stopping and moving cars, clearing the few Zombies that are there, we take out 20 of them in total. It gives me hope how well we work together as a team, we might just make it out of this alive after all. All of a sudden the cars are no longer a problem, they have already been moved aside, the left and right of the road are littered with cars with the centre completely clear. We drive slowly down the road looking side to side for any Zombies. Then we see it, a sign draped over the bridge we are about to drive under.

'Rescue ahead, please follow the signs.'

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

END OF CHAPTER 3.

The Walking Shooter

The Walking Shooter

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationJupiter
I'm interested in seeing what happens next. I'm hoping the Government is still up and running this place so we can actually be on the inside when it gets overrun.

I'm predicting Brian's behaviour is going to get one of them killed, and he will no doubt outlive them to experience the guilt. Maybe Matt, and then Dan kills him ;)

There's also sparks between him and Jessie, so I'll wait and see if they do become a couple.

Good chapter. I'm loving it so far :)

Neganite

Neganite

Biter

• Members

Thanks WS, who knows you'll have to wait and see :P

Glad you're enjoying it!

the Walkin Dude

the Walkin Dude

Roamer

• Members

Definitely liking this Neganite, good job.  Keep them coming.

Neganite

Neganite

Biter

• Members

Thanks very much, the next 2 chapters are going to be pretty crazy, not so subtle tease there :P

Neganite

Neganite

Biter

• Members

Have had a long and busy day and only have the basic shell of Chapter 4 written, should be posted tomorrow.

ThatEpicBeast U Know

ThatEpicBeast U Know

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationVermont

Have had a long and busy day and only have the basic shell of Chapter 4 written, should be posted tomorrow.

Bro.  i love this.  Mind if i can turn this into a comic?  I'm bored as **** and can you just give me some face sketches of the characters so far shown and later characters that will appear so I know how they look?  Just email them to me at andygasal@hotmail.com and I don't need to if you don't want me too.  I won't cry...much.  I love this story and it'll be cool seeing them  in a comic.

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube....suSrDxf3qF6z34w (Epic A)

Neganite

Neganite

Biter

• Members

CHAPTER 4.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sign hanging over the side of the bridge is enormous and couldn't be missed, 'Rescue ahead, please follow the signs'. For the first time I am actually excited, up until now I had assumed the worst but I was actually starting to believe we are going to be rescued, we did it, we made it! I look at Matt who is grinning from ear to ear, clearly feeling the same way.

'We did it Dan, we fucking did it,' laughs Matt.

'I'll celebrate when we are on a helicopter and on our way out of this hell,' I reply.

The next signs tells us to turn left which our convoy does, we follow the signs for several minutes, winding around recently cleared roads, the occasional Zombie staggers around which unnerves me. Would there still be Zombies here if it was secured I wonder, its too late to turn around either way, we don't have much room to. We follow the road and follow the signs that's our only real option at this point but I cant shake the growing knot in my stomach. 'Rescue! One mile straight ahead'. Cars are littered everywhere at the side of the road we're driving down, blood splattered across the road, from the clean up I assume, I hope. Straight ahead is a huge metal gate which is wide open, we slowly press on, I tell Matt to keep his eyes open for anything unusual. As we drive through the gates into a wide open area lined with buildings and alleyways along all four sides. In the centre of this square is a lone building which has its own metal fence and gate surrounding it. Matt and I look around for signs of rescue, people, zombies... Hell anybody. Holly's Car pulls up along side us on the right and Nicks cab pulls up along side us on the left. We wind down our windows to talk over the situation.

'Not exactly what I was expecting, I was hoping for a red carpet,' says Holly.

'Well there's blood on the ground if that counts,' says Matt.

'What should we do,' asks Nick.

'I'm not sure it looks like whatever was here is gone, we could try and get in that fenced off building there, could have supplies inside,' I say.

'That's bullshit! Rescue is here they are in that building just waiting for us, lets get their attention,' says Brian.

'Yea maybe you're right lets go find out,' I reply.

'What's the point of getting out, I'm telling you they're inside lets stop all this talking shit and do what we came here to do and get rescued!' says Brian and leans over and slams his hand down on Nicks car horn.

'Brian NO!' I shout.

The car horn reverberated around the square, before any of us can react the square is no longer deserted, no longer empty and no longer safe. Zombies are staggering out from all the alleyways on all four sides of the square. Most worryingly the dozens coming from the alleys directly behind us quickly filling up the entrance to the road we travelled down. There's no way back that way I realise with a jolt. Similar roads to the one we came down are on each of the four sides of the plaza but they too are quickly blocked by Zombies, we could try to drive through them but if we get stuck we dead. There is only one option I can see to keep us alive.

'Get to that building NOW!' I scream to the others.

We all drive as quickly as possible to the building in the centre, our only hope. I slam the brakes on just in front of the gate as the other two cars follow suit. I grab my crowbar and get out of the car, Matt, Jessica, Holly, Brian, Nick, Mike and Lucy get out brandishing their golf clubs and form a circle as dozens of Zombies close us down.

'Keep them back!' I shout and run to the gate.

I take my crowbar to the thick chain and padlock that is keeping us from the building. The others are swinging at the approaching Zombies. Matt takes down two who get too close to our cars, Brian and Mike are standing side by side taking out as many as they can, Holly, Jessica and Lucy are working as a team to keep the Zombies at bay. I smash the padlock again and again.

'Just drive through it we're going to die!' Shouts Lucy.

'If I do that we all die anyway!' I shout back.

Come on! I hit the padlock with all my strength. Come on! I feel it starting to buckle but glancing round I realise we don't have much time. COME ON! With one final hit with all the strength and power I have in my body I smash the padlock one final time sending it crashing to the ground.

'Matt, Holly, Nick! Get in the cars and drive them through.' I say swinging the gate open.

They move quickly, jumping into the cars and driving through the now open gates while the rest of us back slowly through hitting the Zombies who now have us surrounded on all sides, I go through last just managing to swing the gate closed as dozens of Zombies reach it.

'MATT! Reverse the car against the gate I have nothing to lock it with,' I shout.

'You got it,' replies Matt gently reversing the car against the gate, securing it but being careful not to break it.

'Get inside,' I say.

Nobody has to be told twice as we all sprint to the building, I swing the doors open and run inside closing it behind us. The building has big skylights shining light down allowing us to see a little. We move in a group holding our weapons high in anticipation of more Zombies, but none come. The main atrium of the room is lined with empty bloody hospital beds and plastic sheeting blocking them from view. A set of stairs are in the far left corner and in the right corner a small room with a closed door.

'You are a fucking idiot!' Shouts Matt walking towards Brian.

'You talking to me you pig,' he says almost nose to nose with Matt.

'Who the fuck else, you moron, you caused all of that! If we just looked around we could have realised the place was overrun with enough time to get out. But no you decided to ring the god damn dinner bell,' Matt screams at Brian going red.

'Leave it Matt this isn't helping anything, we are here now and we need to work together or we aren't going to make it,' I say trying to defuse the situation.

'I'd say we already haven't made it, what can we do except wait for them to get in here, we've gone from hiding in a car to hiding in a building. We're no safer with you people,' says Mike sitting down.

'Lets everyone just calm down, we search this building for something to help us, right Dan,' says Jessica.

'She's right,' I say. 'We aren't beaten yet. This was a military run rescue site, there has to be something that can help us.'

'Ok, lets split up, half can check out that room over there and half check upstairs,' says Nick.

'Good idea. Nick, Brian, Mike and Lucy you take upstairs. Jess, Holly and Matt you're with me,' I say.

Our group splits off to search the seemingly deserted building. I lead our foursome to the door of the room and we raise our weapons as I silently count down from three. I open the door and we all look through. Matts hysterical laughter and Jessica's gasp sum up my feelings pretty well. The room has three tables inside pushed against the walls, the table straight ahead of us on the back wall has several guns the military left behind. The table on the right has ten or so boxes of ammunition, and the final table on the left is filled with bullet proof vests. We all walk into the room mouths open, we stand a chance I think.

'Hold on, do any of you actually know how to use a gun,' says Holly.

'Oh yea, we do, right Dan,' laughs Matt. 'Holiday to Prague, we went shooting.'

'Yes and you acted like a maniac and the instructor took your gun off you and made you sit in the corner,' I reply.

'So we're in safe hands then,' says Jessica.

'Remind me to keep my distance when you start shooting,' says Holly with a smile.

'I was just too good, the instructors didn't want to get upstaged,' Matt replies.

'Umm guys,' Mike says suddenly standing in the doorway. 'We found someone.'

'What, where?' I say.

We all head back out into the main lobby, where Nick, Brian and Lucy are stood around a man sat in a chair. As we get closer they move out of the way and I see the man more clearly. He is wearing a police uniform with long grey hair slicked back. He has deep lines etched into his hard face and looks to be in his 50s. But his body hasn't caught up as his toned body fills his uniform.

'So you're the stupid cunts who brought every flesh eater out there right to us,' the man says in a deep gravely voice.

'Mistakes we're made and I'm sorry about that, what's you're name?' I ask.

'Ken, these guys already told me everyone's names but frankly my memory is shit and I have already forgotten them,' says Ken.

'That's fine, it's not important right now. What is important is getting out, but first off you have to tell us what happened here,' I say.

'The military took control of all this shit as quick as they could, they built this place and got all the helicopters they had available here. Put up signs and secured the area. A shitload of people arrived in the first few hours, a lot were injured and the medics tried to fix them. But while the military tried to take control, they really didn't know shit about what this was or how it happened. The injured were bitten, as I'm sure you guessed and the bodies were taken out and piled outside. But as you know they don't stay down for long and before you knew it people were dying left and right. The pilots got as many people as they could into the choppers and flew off, id say five helicopter loads in total were 'rescued'. I was left behind, I cleared the building, closed the gates and hid, till you fuckers riled them up again,' says Ken.

'Those who got out, where did they go?' I ask.

''Queen Elizabeth II Barracks' its a military installation in North Yorkshire, but I have no clue if they got there, or if they secured it once they did. It could have ended up like this place for all I know.' says Ken.

'What do we do now?' Asks Nick.

'We show these fuckers that we aren't dead yet and we fight our way out or die trying,' says Ken.

'It's almost sunset, this will be hard enough in the daylight, I say we wait till morning, the fences seem secure enough and I think we stand a much better chance in daylight rather than firing blindly in the darkness,' says Jessica.

We finally agree to wait till morning and spend the next half hour stripping the beds of bloody sheets and flip the mattresses so we can sleep in comfort for the first time since this started. I curl up in my bed but can't sleep for Matt and Holly talking next to me.

'This is all Brian's fault, he's too rash, he doesn't think anything through,' says Holly.

'Don't have to tell me, that guys a problem and its a wonder he didn't get anyone killed, well he still might, we aren't out of here yet,' says Matt.

'We'll be fine, I just feel it. I'm so glad I found you all, I wouldn't have had the strength to get through this without this group. Dan is right when he says we need each other,' says Holly.

'I'm sure you would have been fine either way, you are tougher than you think, I saw the way you swing that golf club, I sure as hell wouldn't want to get on your wrong side,' Matt chuckles.

'I guess, its because I have people to fight for, we'll get through this together because that's what makes us better than those things. Friendship, love, emotion they don't have any of that. We have so much to fight for,' Holly says.

'Well tomorrow we fight for it,' says Matt.

'Yea, I'll let you sleep, big day tomorrow goodnight,' says Holly.

'Goodnight Holly,' Matt replies.

That was the last thing I heard before I fell into a deep sleep, my sleep was filled with nightmares no doubt caused by the knowledge that tomorrow would be our biggest fight yet.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

END OF CHAPTER 4.

The Walking Shooter

The Walking Shooter

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationJupiter
Good chapter. I had to laugh at their optimism of this being a safe and secure place. We all know they won't be like this sooner or later.

Ken seems intriguing as a character. I would like to see more of him.

Matt and Holly will hook up, I guarantee lol.

I think the next time Brian screws up, it will result in one of their deaths. I can have a feeling he will be the "Ben" out of the video game where he keeps screwing up and keeps getting people killed, but yet he outlives the majority of them.

the Walkin Dude

the Walkin Dude

Roamer

• Members

Good job Negan, will be interesting to see how the newbies adapt to guns

Neganite

Neganite

Biter

• Members

Thanks guys! The next chapter is the end of the first part of the story and the beginning of the next!

lone star walker

lone star walker

Biter

• Members
  • Locationroaming the prairie

Good characters!  Brian makes a great wild card kind of guy.  I was surprised to see more chapters up so soon.  Not that I'm complaining!  Do you completely write your stories before posting?

Neganite

Neganite

Biter

• Members
Throughout my working day I make notes in my notepad on iPhone, key events from the chapter, most of the funny (or attempting to be funny) dialogue is written in there when it comes to me.

When I get home I sit and write a basic shell of the story on paper using my notes.

Then I type it up adding details, leave it for hour or so then come back and read it through taking out or adding things. One final proof read then I post.

I'm several chapters ahead of what's been posted in my head but it's not written down, I just post when I can. Could be a day or a week later depends how busy I am.

Thanks for the support!

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!