Episode 4: Amid The Ruins Review

review

Macek11

Macek11

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationLA
I initially shot Rebecca to protect the baby, and kinda felt bad for starting that gunfight. I did it over just to see what would be different, even though I figured not much would change. Idk I kinda liked that since I didn't do it as Clem, Kenny went ahead and just did it. Kenny is so protective of this baby already, so I felt it made sense. I stayed with the 2nd choice. I was also surprised at the number of people who chose it as well.

Gravelord

Gravelord

Lurker

• Members

I liked this episode and am excited to see how TT cap off Season 2. I am awaiting the inevitable Kenny or Luke choice in episode 5. After this episode, I am convinced TT are trying way too hard to establish conflict between the two. 

Rudy5.png "Let the slaughter begin..."

The Walking Shooter

The Walking Shooter

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationJupiter

I liked this episode and am excited to see how TT cap off Season 2. I am awaiting the inevitable Kenny or Luke choice in episode 5. After this episode, I am convinced TT are trying way too hard to establish conflict between the two.

Yeah, I must admit the conflict between the two is pretty unnatural. They have good arguments against each other no doubt about it, but it really all started... Over Clementine choosing to sit with one and not the other. It will be traced back to the most hardest decision in the season, which is kinda sad when you think about it.

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

Hallelujer! Im STILL Alive!

• Members

I think a harder (and better) decision would be Luke and Kenny or Mike and Bonnie. I'd probably choose Mike and Bonnie. It's a sad moment when you realize your favorite characters in a Telltale game are the most expendable ones (and probably dead within the opening credits of the next)

Imagine a group of a hundred motorcycles driving down a freeway. Eventually, they hit a junction. One road goes northwest and the other goes northeast. So one guy, we'll call him S, says, "Let's go northwest!" A mile past the intersection, a semi careens into the group and kills ninety of them. Ten are wounded, but they survive and keep going. Eventually, they hit 10,000 miles. S suddenly has his consciousness thrown into his past body right before the junction. Now, he says, "Let's go northeast!" All 100 bikers survive. Happily ever after, right? But what about the ten, no nine, who went northwest and survived? What happens to the reality they were living? Does it just disappear now that S has changed the past? It's not like only bad things happened on that 10,000 mile journey. Maybe one of them fell in love with a gas station attendant and got her pregnant or maybe one adopted a homeless kid that joined the adventure. That 10,000 mile journey would be full of stories. Romances, farewells, friendships...the loss of those ninety lives is horrible and unfortunate, but what would rewriting their history mean? The nine who survived lived full lives and did the best they could with the hand they were dealt. How could it be right to just erase all that? Isn't that worth something? Is there a point to a world where everything is happy? Are people who struggle for a better life just idiots? Being human is about fighting even when it seems hopeless and finding happiness in a world that hates it. Are you saying that's worthless?

Gravelord

Gravelord

Lurker

• Members

I have a feeling that there may be a third choice involving Christa if she returns. Unlikely, but it seems like something Telltale would do. I honestly hope Mike and Bonnie stick around because I think they are good characters, but it is probable they will be stock deaths to make the final episode feel more jam-packed. I really am thinking the last episode should not be as predictable as episode 5 is feeling so far. I am hoping TellTale throws a curve ball of some form (please not Christa returning). 

Rudy5.png "Let the slaughter begin..."

DominusPisces

DominusPisces

Biter

• Members
  • LocationFlorida

I am sick of characters that could have died earlier simply being used as cannon fodder later. it makes the decisions mean nothing.

Everyone is dead from the Cabin except Luke. Wow. that went poorly.

Also wtf is with how fast these guys are turning! It took Sarita and Rebecca like 10 seconds! It used to take a couple of hours.

Shane turned within minutes
In the comic a woman was found reanimated after a herd had passed through. She was mostly intact so she had to have turned quickly upon death to get the Walkers to give up on her before she was devoured. 

Yeah I can't imagine running into a group of Russians in North Georgia. I doubt I would see a  Russian with shaved head  and tattoos all over his scalp armed with an AK-47. And I wouldn't expect them to be led by a kid with a leg brace, who feels like a Russian version  of Mr, Glass from from the movie  Unbreakable.

I think Arvo is the omega of the group. He's meek, doesn't strike me as smart enough to manipulate them ( As opposed to Eugene.) plus he's lame ( as in a lame horse... not uncool ) He might be kept around because the group aren't douchebags and he's their friend or maybe the brother of one of them. Or if they are assholes (More likely) He's good at getting potential marks to lower their guard for the poor cripple. He also seems to be the only one that speaks English. He'd be necessary if that's the case.

Im glad reading this that the episode ends with mass gunfire whether or not you choose to shoot Rebecca because when I shot her and everyone opened fired I was just like OH SHIT what have I done!

I had that moment. Granted... mine came out as a muttered Craaaaaaaaaaaap...

Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray thee Lord these bites aren't deep.
Should I die before I wake, I pray thee Lord, my skull they break.

KidSeventySeven

KidSeventySeven

Boomstick Commander

• Members
  • LocationPlatform 9 3/4

If Arvo doesn't get slaughtered in the first ten seconds of the game, I think maybe he might factor in more during the finale. I don't know, I've got it in my head that the reason he focused on the gun being taken from him is because he was trying to hide those meds for his sister and keep them a secret from his own group. At any rate, I think it would be strange to just kill him off with no explanation of what that was all about. If they do kill him off, maybe we'll meet his sister and she'll be the one to explain to Clem why he was doing what he did.  

As for Kenny and Luke, I'm living in my happy world right now and pretending they'll team up in the end instead of causing us to choose between them. Arguments against my happy world theory will be met with fingers stuck in ears and childish denial.  :lol: 

Jon is fine, dammit.

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

• Members

The most surprising way for the next episode to being would be if nobody but the Russians died (hopefully. I actually like everyone in the group right now). The first decision of the episode will probably be "What to do with Arvo?" I don't know where the rest of the episode will go. I have no idea what will happen

I think a cool twist would be if Clementine didn't steal the meds, Arvo leaves and then you find out later that Bonnie stole them (because of her addiction)

Imagine a group of a hundred motorcycles driving down a freeway. Eventually, they hit a junction. One road goes northwest and the other goes northeast. So one guy, we'll call him S, says, "Let's go northwest!" A mile past the intersection, a semi careens into the group and kills ninety of them. Ten are wounded, but they survive and keep going. Eventually, they hit 10,000 miles. S suddenly has his consciousness thrown into his past body right before the junction. Now, he says, "Let's go northeast!" All 100 bikers survive. Happily ever after, right? But what about the ten, no nine, who went northwest and survived? What happens to the reality they were living? Does it just disappear now that S has changed the past? It's not like only bad things happened on that 10,000 mile journey. Maybe one of them fell in love with a gas station attendant and got her pregnant or maybe one adopted a homeless kid that joined the adventure. That 10,000 mile journey would be full of stories. Romances, farewells, friendships...the loss of those ninety lives is horrible and unfortunate, but what would rewriting their history mean? The nine who survived lived full lives and did the best they could with the hand they were dealt. How could it be right to just erase all that? Isn't that worth something? Is there a point to a world where everything is happy? Are people who struggle for a better life just idiots? Being human is about fighting even when it seems hopeless and finding happiness in a world that hates it. Are you saying that's worthless?

KidSeventySeven

KidSeventySeven

Boomstick Commander

• Members
  • LocationPlatform 9 3/4

The most surprising way for the next episode to being would be if nobody but the Russians died (hopefully. I actually like everyone in the group right now). The first decision of the episode will probably be "What to do with Arvo?" I don't know where the rest of the episode will go. I have no idea what will happen

I think a cool twist would be if Clementine didn't steal the meds, Arvo leaves and then you find out later that Bonnie stole them (because of her addiction)

Wait, was/is Bonnie an addict? For some reason I have a really hard time remembering much about her...

Jon is fine, dammit.

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

• Members

No spoilers. Just multiple images

Spoiler

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

• Members

Wait, was/is Bonnie an addict? For some reason I have a really hard time remembering much about her...

She was. Leland mentions it in her 400 Days playthrough and if you let her go into the gift shop instead of Clementine, the zombie attacks her and Mike wants to check if she's bitten. She refuses because she's embarrassed by her track marks

KidSeventySeven

KidSeventySeven

Boomstick Commander

• Members
  • LocationPlatform 9 3/4

She was. Leland mentions it in her 400 Days playthrough and if you let her go into the gift shop instead of Clementine, the zombie attacks her and Mike wants to check if she's bitten. She refuses because she's embarrassed by her track marks

Ahh, gotcha. I chose Clem and I don't remember ever learning anything like that. Interesting.

Jon is fine, dammit.

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

• Members

On another note, here's cut dialogue from Episode 4 where Jane tells Clementine a joke

http://melsempi.tumb...ementine-a-joke

DarylDixonReedus

DarylDixonReedus

Infected

• Members

In my opinion, this was the worst episode of the entire series. 

The writing was really bad, the deaths were tasteless, and the determinant characters were handed horribly, and Arvo says you robbed him no matter what you choose, stupid as hell.

This season is really disappointing. only episodes i have like is Episode 1 and 2. Episode 3 and 4 aren't good at all, imo.

DarylDixonReedus

DarylDixonReedus

Infected

• Members

Episode Five should be promising, but I have my doubts.

SpaghettiTuesdays

SpaghettiTuesdays

Infected

• Members
  • LocationMoonstar Lodge, Virginia

1:18

"You don't just end it cause it's hard, you stick it out, and you help the folks you care about."

SpaghettiTuesdays

SpaghettiTuesdays

Infected

• Members
  • LocationMoonstar Lodge, Virginia

"You don't just end it cause it's hard, you stick it out, and you help the folks you care about."

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

• Members

There are no spoilers in the trailer if anyone's wondering

Also, release dates:

PC, Mac, PS3, Vita (NA)-8/26

PS3, Vita (EU), 360-8/27

iOS-8/28

Macek11

Macek11

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationLA
Man that was a short wait.

Lukey

Lukey

Biter

• Members
  • LocationCroatia

Improvement is noticable but I still got the problem as I had before with this game. Gameplay is pretty much non existent, might as well just watch a playthrough there would be no difference. I chose to steal from Arvo which led to him telling his friends hence the attack. From what I see here the same happens if you don't steal. Basically, the only gameplay element, which is decision making, doesn't even exist in this game anymore. Doesn't matter how you play the game, what you choose say to people or what decisions you make you always end up with the same scenario. Sarah dies, Jane leaves, Becca dies, Kenny hates you for killing that woman. Nothing is different, not even what people think about you. "story is tailored by how you play"...

nazacuckoo

nazacuckoo

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationTo your left

Nice trailer, like the scene at 

Spoiler

I hope this episode isn't a rush-job, considering the fact that it's coming out so soon. And believe me, I love the fact that it's coming out so soon, but...

I'm just worried about it.

"There's no "I" in team" 

"Yeah, there's no "U" either. So I guess if I'm not on the team, and you're not on the team, nobody's on the God damn team. The team sucks!"

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

• Members
I know you didn't play between Season 1 episode by episode, but the wait between episodes 3 and 4 and 4 and 5 were significantly shorter (and 4 was the longest of the season). It's been a month, which is a reasonable wait. It only feels rushed because we've suffered through unreasonable waits

Plus, Episode 5 of WAU came out after a month and that was the best of the season

Macek11

Macek11

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationLA

Nice trailer, like the scene at

Spoiler

I hope this episode isn't a rush-job, considering the fact that it's coming out so soon. And believe me, I love the fact that it's coming out so soon, but...
I'm just worried about it.

Yeah I'm worried too.. I think it will feel rushed but who knows, I hope it doesn't feel that way though. I mean, I'm not complaining though.. mainly because of some of the other waits between previous episodes. It makes sense though, I'm sure when they started making season 2 they mapped out where it was going to begin and end. They probably have known since the beginning where they'd be at the end of season 2, going into season 3.

Plus, now season 2 will be done and a finished product, leaving telltale to move onto other projects on their list. I don't know if it was you Jesus or somebody else who said this, but it felt like they were making it up as they went along somewhat.. They probably had the main parts figured out but in between it all, not quite. At least that's how it seemed at times.

nazacuckoo

nazacuckoo

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationTo your left

I know you didn't play between Season 1 episode by episode, but the wait between episodes 3 and 4 and 4 and 5 were significantly shorter (and 4 was the longest of the season). It's been a month, which is a reasonable wait. It only feels rushed because we've suffered through unreasonable waits

Plus, Episode 5 of WAU came out after a month and that was the best of the season

Cool, that's good to here, thanks. I'm not overly worried about length, (I am a little, but...) I was more worried about the story feeling haphazard and all that jazz. So thanks, that's good to hear :)

"There's no "I" in team" 

"Yeah, there's no "U" either. So I guess if I'm not on the team, and you're not on the team, nobody's on the God damn team. The team sucks!"

Macek11

Macek11

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationLA

Cool, that's good to here, thanks. I'm not overly worried about length, (I am a little, but...) I was more worried about the story feeling haphazard and all that jazz. So thanks, that's good to hear :)

Yeah that's what I'm worried about too. The fact that since they have the end in mind they can make a haphazard and shorter episode. Not criticizing episode 5 of season 1, but since Lee was going to die, I could see why they would think they could make a shorter episode and all that..
Because of the feels..

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!