Issue 129 Review

* * * * * 1 Rick The Walking Dead Reviews Horny Carl Anna Andrea 129 ThatEpicBeast U Know is the best You know it

farswell7

farswell7

Biter

• Members
  • LocationThe Land of Lincoln

I love this comic but I feel like lately the writing is that of a 10 year old. The dialogue is cringeworthy and the actions of some of the characters are so WTF.

Mr. NomNom

Mr. NomNom

Biter

• Members
  • LocationOhio

it isn't Rick's fault Magna is hyper suspicious for no reason. He told her what she asked him. He told her there was was one man in prison for life and he was dangerous. He offered to let her meet him as soon as he finished his business. The man isn't a butler for newcomers. That isn't moronic just because he didn't outline the history of there life up to that point. He already trusted them. This is all on Magna.

I think i would want to know if a lunatic lives within 100yds from me.....just sayin.

ThatEpicBeast U Know

ThatEpicBeast U Know

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationVermont

I'm not sure if anyone said this already, but what if Carl accidentally switched letters with Alex?  Heh, Alex gets a steamy, sexual letter with a handrawn nude of Anna while Carl gets a drawn dick pic of Jesus :ohmy:

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube....suSrDxf3qF6z34w (Epic A)

john5xc

john5xc

Infected

• Members

I think i would want to know if a lunatic lives within 100yds from me.....just sayin.

Exactly why he told her he was there...

Reavesfilm

Reavesfilm

Infected

• Members
  • LocationLos Angeles

If their only basis for freeing Negan is "because he says so", then yes, they'd have to be pretty stupid to do it, given that one would expect a prisoner in for life to say anything in order to get free. Add in the fact that Negan doesn't appear to have been mistreated and that Rick was open about the jail and didn't try to hide it (both of which don't apply to your hypothetical Woodbury scenario) and they have absolutely no reason to believe anything he says.

This is my only criticism of the possible future storyline.  Magna and co. come into a HUGE community with tons of happy people; Rick is honest with her and tells her it's a jail; Magna finds ONE DUDE in the jail who claims they're all monsters... If she releases him, it'll be the single stupidest thing Kirkman has done with the book.  One dude says that the community that locked him up are monsters... Typical. Kirkman isn't that bad of a writer, he can't do that... Can he?

"I believe in Rick Grimes."

8-Ball

8-Ball

Lurker

• Members

just finished 129...i'm really hoping this comic doesn't continue to follow a predictable story line. i was semi excited to give the time jump a shot, but so far this arc just feels like a rehash of rick's introduction to the ASZ

The Walking Shooter

The Walking Shooter

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationJupiter
People will believe what they want to believe. That's how Magna is suspicious in the first place.

Rick's group came in their horses, and because of that a member of their group got killed. Magna shrugged it off, but she took into account that some of her group didn't see it that way.

They were told to be interviewed to guarantee their stay in the community. When you have a snarky bitch doing the interviews, things get a little tense to say the least. Magna's first impressions aren't a good one.

There are many happy people, yes. But Rick believed the same thing as well when he first arrived, or rather most of his group did. It felt too fake after all the things they've been through. Magna and her group have been out there for at least four years. She hasn't had a proper chance at home excluding a retirement one in the first one or two years. She will think they are covering something.

From her POV, Rick could have been lying about the jail centre since she asked him about it. For all she knows he's got a house full of tortured victims and is preparing to eat them alive. She just doesn't know. So when she and her fellow men sneaked in to find out, and see a guy chained up claiming that Rick and his group are animals, she is going to believe him.

And why? Because like I said, people believe what they want to believe. Magna wants to believe that this place is dangerous, hostile, not what it seems. She thinks she has found her evidence to back up her paranoia, something that Rick never did at Alexandria.

Is it stupid? Probably, but you can never be too careful in a zombie apocalypse. Is it predictable? Most definitely, I had a feeling this would happen since last issue. So long as Kirkman makes it so that Negan makes a convincing sob story (leader of a group saw them all die! killed his wife Lucille) and puts the tears at work, then Magna is going to buy into that BS because she doesn't have the knowledge the readers have.

theblackboxlies

theblackboxlies

Top of the Food Chain

• Members
  • Locationಠ_ರೃ

Also, some of the artwork was kind of cringeworthy. Two panels in particular were straight up meme-worthy

055bea7fb09bfe7cfc2eeeaadfcc7dc0.png

06fb3bac31b63951f589dbb9480767e8.png

lol. Creeper Status Unlocked.

I_Follow_You_Axel

I_Follow_You_Axel

You Follow Me?

• Moderators
  • LocationWhere Dave Met Tony

I agree with most posters here, that the storyline is getting predictable. With Magna arriving, Rick seeming to be Douglas 2.0, and Negan claiming to be an innocent, tortured prisoner, we can all figure where this is going.

The one thing that seems a little forgotten is those two idiots from Hilltop. This has to be related to Rick freaking out on Benjamin from the Kingdom. The two Hilltop riders got into trouble and couldn't keep their territory clear, so roamers got into Ben's area, where Rick happened to be. Ben took the Douglas-on-Heath-after-asking-about-Davidson style beating because that guy fell off his horse. This will all come together somehow.

Magna frees Negan, just in time for a giant herd to slip through the gap in security and wreak havoc on the new civilization. Negan runs off, slips back into the Sanctuary, kills Dwight, takes over, and we've got All Out War 2!

...though it would be awesome for Negan to tell his sob story, beg to be let out, only to have Magna say no. That would be a total Kirkman-swerve-troll....or is it a Kirkman-troll-swerve?

"I ain't walking out to the woods to get my pecker bit off by a roamer, you follow me?"
- Axel (Who else, really?)

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

Hallelujer! Im STILL Alive!

• Members

...though it would be awesome for Negan to tell his sob story, beg to be let out, only to have Magna say no. That would be a total Kirkman-swerve-troll....or is it a Kirkman-troll-swerve?

I think this is what will happen. No doubt Negan will cause trouble again, but to escape 3 issues after he was locked up? That's bad writing, no matter how he gets out

I think Negan could end up being like Magneto from the new X-Men movie. At some point, Rick needs him (maybe Dwight is starting shit and he wants Negan to try to sway the Saviors) but Negan ends up betraying Rick and goes on his own agenda (NOT All Out War Part 2)

Also, am I the only one who is unusually invested in the survival of Marco and Ken? I feel like we got a brief bit of characterization from their small amounts of dialogue and I actually felt sorry and scared for them when their horse ran away. It must suck to try so hard to survive for four years and have it end up being all for nothing

Imagine a group of a hundred motorcycles driving down a freeway. Eventually, they hit a junction. One road goes northwest and the other goes northeast. So one guy, we'll call him S, says, "Let's go northwest!" A mile past the intersection, a semi careens into the group and kills ninety of them. Ten are wounded, but they survive and keep going. Eventually, they hit 10,000 miles. S suddenly has his consciousness thrown into his past body right before the junction. Now, he says, "Let's go northeast!" All 100 bikers survive. Happily ever after, right? But what about the ten, no nine, who went northwest and survived? What happens to the reality they were living? Does it just disappear now that S has changed the past? It's not like only bad things happened on that 10,000 mile journey. Maybe one of them fell in love with a gas station attendant and got her pregnant or maybe one adopted a homeless kid that joined the adventure. That 10,000 mile journey would be full of stories. Romances, farewells, friendships...the loss of those ninety lives is horrible and unfortunate, but what would rewriting their history mean? The nine who survived lived full lives and did the best they could with the hand they were dealt. How could it be right to just erase all that? Isn't that worth something? Is there a point to a world where everything is happy? Are people who struggle for a better life just idiots? Being human is about fighting even when it seems hopeless and finding happiness in a world that hates it. Are you saying that's worthless?

The Walking Shooter

The Walking Shooter

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationJupiter

Also, am I the only one who is unusually ingested in the survival of Marco and Ken? I feel like we got a brief bit of characterization from their small amounts of dialogue and I actually felt sorry and scared for them when their horse ran away. It must suck to try so hard to survive for four years and have it end up being all for nothing

Nope, I actually like them despite them only appearing for a couple pages in the last two issues. Which is rare for me because I usually wait to judge newbies. I think them being stranded and on the run could inject some horror into the story.

On a reread, I notice the Rick/Carl fighting the zombies mirrored their scenes back in issue49 (?) when they ran into that zombie at the store. Rick was heavily injured at the time, and could barely fight. Just before he lost balance and got killed, Carl shoots the zombie causing the trouble. Just an interesting thought since Kirkman likes to do these now apparently.

Sgthewolverine

Sgthewolverine

Lurker

• Members

That is an awesome notice on the jail thing. Thanks for bringing that up.

I don't think kirk is going on the road. he spoke of alternating issues for each community post AOW and rebuilding has always been the goal and he finally set it up. Trouble is coming but he isn't going to tear them down permanently imo.

i don't see the collapse of the civilization for a long time if ever. Like rick, kirkman has worked way to hard to get to this place...long haul guys. On a side note I can't even begin to imagine what the show will look like if it gets this far!

The Walking Shooter

The Walking Shooter

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationJupiter

i don't see the collapse of the civilization for a long time if ever. Like rick, kirkman has worked way to hard to get to this place...long haul guys. On a side note I can't even begin to imagine what the show will look like if it gets this far!

I hope the civilisation aspect does go on for several volumes, but I can see Kirkman cutting it short in case of backlash. I think he should follow his vision though, because he has stated several times he would like to get to this point.

AMC will need to increase the budget big time for the show if they get to this point (I say if due to it getting cancelled/finished or completely diverts from the show). All those extras, multiple regular characters, sets, zombies, etc. will add up. Since we know that they are greedy cow milking bitches, we'll either get a complete travesty or it will divert. This is going to be only take on that subject though.

I wonder how different the Hilltop will be, or does anybody think it will be pretty much the same?

I_Follow_You_Axel

I_Follow_You_Axel

You Follow Me?

• Moderators
  • LocationWhere Dave Met Tony

Kirkman really seems to be sitting on the whole "where the hell is Michonne" issue. He was asked about it in several letters this month, and avoided it completely. In 128, I thought it was her saving the fallen rider. He's going to leave us hanging on this for a while...

"I ain't walking out to the woods to get my pecker bit off by a roamer, you follow me?"
- Axel (Who else, really?)

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

• Members
It would be a pretty big twist if she died or deserted everyone

Imagine a group of a hundred motorcycles driving down a freeway. Eventually, they hit a junction. One road goes northwest and the other goes northeast. So one guy, we'll call him S, says, "Let's go northwest!" A mile past the intersection, a semi careens into the group and kills ninety of them. Ten are wounded, but they survive and keep going. Eventually, they hit 10,000 miles. S suddenly has his consciousness thrown into his past body right before the junction. Now, he says, "Let's go northeast!" All 100 bikers survive. Happily ever after, right? But what about the ten, no nine, who went northwest and survived? What happens to the reality they were living? Does it just disappear now that S has changed the past? It's not like only bad things happened on that 10,000 mile journey. Maybe one of them fell in love with a gas station attendant and got her pregnant or maybe one adopted a homeless kid that joined the adventure. That 10,000 mile journey would be full of stories. Romances, farewells, friendships...the loss of those ninety lives is horrible and unfortunate, but what would rewriting their history mean? The nine who survived lived full lives and did the best they could with the hand they were dealt. How could it be right to just erase all that? Isn't that worth something? Is there a point to a world where everything is happy? Are people who struggle for a better life just idiots? Being human is about fighting even when it seems hopeless and finding happiness in a world that hates it. Are you saying that's worthless?

john5xc

john5xc

Infected

• Members

This is my only criticism of the possible future storyline.  Magna and co. come into a HUGE community with tons of happy people; Rick is honest with her and tells her it's a jail; Magna finds ONE DUDE in the jail who claims they're all monsters... If she releases him, it'll be the single stupidest thing Kirkman has done with the book.  One dude says that the community that locked him up are monsters... Typical. Kirkman isn't that bad of a writer, he can't do that... Can he?

Kirkman isn't stupid because he made a character stupid. It's an important distinction. But we still don't know what she does.

The Walking Shooter

The Walking Shooter

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationJupiter
On Michonne, I do hope she isn't dead or something as crazy as that. She's too important a character to die off screen. Most likely she is shacked up with Ezekiel and probably has a family (wouldn't that be shocking. Mini Michonne's!). It does seem too good to be true that after two years of complaining about being alone and always fighting for her life and being under appreciated, she manages to get the opposite of all those things. Most likely she will end up dead with the next threat.

I can buy her leaving the communities though. She never really recovered from the things she went through and could never function in a normal place (as evidenced at blowing up at Barbara). Maybe at issue200 if she did abandon our group, she reunites with who ever is still standing at that point in time.

ThatEpicBeast U Know

ThatEpicBeast U Know

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationVermont

On Michonne, I do hope she isn't dead or something as crazy as that. She's too important a character to die off screen. Most likely she is shacked up with Ezekiel and probably has a family (wouldn't that be shocking. Mini Michonne's!). It does seem too good to be true that after two years of complaining about being alone and always fighting for her life and being under appreciated, she manages to get the opposite of all those things. Most likely she will end up dead with the next threat.

I can buy her leaving the communities though. She never really recovered from the things she went through and could never function in a normal place (as evidenced at blowing up at Barbara). Maybe at issue200 if she did abandon our group, she reunites with who ever is still standing at that point in time.

Holy shit.  Mini Michonne's?!?! I'm in!  I pretty sure we got a preview of what they might look like from the The Walking Dead vinyls...

samus88

samus88

Lurker

• Members

The fuck's wrong with some of you people? The book is predictable? 4 issues ago everyone thought Negan was going to be killed by Rick. It didn't happen. Rick has changed a lot with the timejump, no one predicted that. People predicted tons of deaths in the war, but very few people died. Sorry but the problem isn't it's predictable. You just don't like the story at all. Stop complaining.

Neganite

Neganite

Biter

• Members
  • LocationNewcastle England

When something is predicted on mass like Magna/Negan people focus on that side of things and not all the things that have been unpredictable like you have said. But that is true of pretty much any fandom I can think of, for some reason we like to complain about the things we love because nothing is perfect and theres always something you dislike or would personally do differently.

On the whole im really enjoying the new direction of the comic and have trust in Kirkman to steer the ship in the right direction, im along for the ride.

The truth is though this is a discussion board and varied opinions is all part of the fun, if we all agreed and joined hands around a campfire praising our God Kirkman it would be nauseous.

I would however like to throw out my Robert Kirkman ReHash browns for the Douglasesque flipping out with Rick

PorkTornado75

PorkTornado75

• Members
  • LocationAlexandria Safe Zone with Spencer`s pool table.

The fuck's wrong with some of you people? The book is predictable? 4 issues ago everyone thought Negan was going to be killed by Rick. It didn't happen. Rick has changed a lot with the timejump, no one predicted that. People predicted tons of deaths in the war, but very few people died. Sorry but the problem isn't it's predictable. You just don't like the story at all. Stop complaining.

You picked the wrong place to tell people to stop voicing the opinions they have whether you agree with them or not.

Sorry but this forum is for bitching and complaining also praising the book..............deal with it.

Deal-with-it-chuck-norris-gif.gif

"Yeah, let's fuck this dog."

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

• Members
He's not complaining about people complaining. He's complaining that the people calling it predictable are the same people who did not predict the direction of All Out War

PorkTornado75

PorkTornado75

• Members
  • LocationAlexandria Safe Zone with Spencer`s pool table.

. You just don't like the story at all. Stop complaining.

Sounds like he is complaining about people complaining to me.

"Yeah, let's fuck this dog."

ThatEpicBeast U Know

ThatEpicBeast U Know

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationVermont

He's not complaining about people complaining. He's complaining that the people calling it predictable are the same people who did not predict the direction of All Out War

Yup...

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

• Members

Sounds like he is bitching about people complaining to me.

It sounds to me like he's saying, "Stop complaining about it being predictable because it isn't. The reason you guys are complaining is because you don't like the story" (and he didn't say you couldn't complain about not liking it)

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!