The Difference In Evil: Negan Vs. The Governor

- - - - - Negan The Governor Rick Grimes Communities Comic Issue 126 Issue 48 Death

stephanmurillo

stephanmurillo

Infected

• Members

From thewalkingdead.com

Feat-NegGov2.png

Hey everyone! This week we asked our fantastic new intern Stephan to write a post for the site, and man, did he deliver! Check out his comparison of The Walking Dead’s two greatest villains, and how Rick dealt (or would have dealt) with each:

Last week we wrapped up the “All Out War” story arc, but there are still plenty of unanswered questions. Is Rick making the right decision? Will Negan rise to power again? Will Carl “Bust-A-Carl” and do what he thinks is right? Although all of these will be answered in the future, some other interesting, less definitive questions come to mind in the aftermath of this power struggle. Why did Rick allow Negan to live? Would he have allowed the Governor to live given the opportunity? Were Negan’s atrocities less than the Governor’s? Did he pose less of a threat? Or was he a different kind of threat?

Full article:

http://www.thewalkin...s-the-governor/

The Walking Shooter

The Walking Shooter

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationJupiter
After the prison battle and if Rick found himself face to face with the Governor, I have no doubt that he would have a put a bullet Inbetween the eyes. Lori and Judith were killed by him, not to mention the countless horrors that he had committed (rape of Michonne, killing the helicopter people).

If Negan had ended up indirectly or directly killed Carl, I have a feeling Rick would have killed him. Despite the talk of rebuilding civilisation, Rick isn't the type to let something like that go.

Obviously madmen like the Governor need to be out down like rapid dogs. But IMO Negan is just as bad as him. He created a society in which he personally dictated everybody under his control and had the fake image of free will. He would have punished those who disobeyed him , and flaunted this fact to them over and over again (Sherry's tits comment to Dwight for example)

Not to mention the fact that he had the chance to actually do something with the zombie threat with his numbers. He had the other communities under his control due to his promise to clear them out, but he shouldn't have done that. I'm pretty sure Gregory and Ezekiel would have been happy to corporate with him if he had out those numbers to use instead of threatening them.

The Governor only had a small town, which could have easily been overrun. It was fear and desperation that drove the Governor to do half the things he did (the other half is unforgivable, but part of the reason he attacked the prison was because he felt it had better Walls. Most of it was revenge, but you could understand why somebody so desperate for a better sanctuary would do that).

However Negan had everything all under control apparently. A new community emerged and he is already calling shots, taking out their best men (Abraham and Glenn) and taking their supplies. But the time and energy to doing this would have been a lot more effective if he actually corporates with the people and expanded their communities. In doing so they would have achieved every survivor's wet dream of rebuilding civilisation, but again didn't because he liked having control.

And that is what it boils down to in the end. Both Negan and the Governor are completely different as characters, but they both share the same desire to have control over people's lives. Negan might be more classier in his approach, but he is just as selfish, evil and full of himself as the Governor.

Good article by the way.

I_Follow_You_Axel

I_Follow_You_Axel

You Follow Me?

• Moderators
  • LocationWhere Dave Met Tony

Interesting article. Rick's decision to allow Negan to live has not been a popular one among the fans on this Forum, but I understand why he's made it. He wants to build a new world, without violence and bloodshed, and he wants Negan to see that it can be done that way. The Governor was more self-serving; he had a Messiah complex, whereas Negan is more of a dictator, as mentioned in the article.

I assume you're the lucky intern at thewalkingdead.com, Stephan? Congratulations on getting published, and welcome to the Forum!

"I ain't walking out to the woods to get my pecker bit off by a roamer, you follow me?"
- Axel (Who else, really?)

PorkTornado75

PorkTornado75

Hallelujer! Im STILL Alive!

• Members
  • LocationAlexandria Safe Zone with Spencer`s pool table.

The differance between the two is one(Gov) had a really great arc behind them the other(Negan) not so much...............

"Yeah, let's fuck this dog."

Mr. NomNom

Mr. NomNom

Biter

• Members
  • LocationOhio

The differance between the two is one(Gov) had a really great arc behind them the other(Negan) not so much...............

I agree

The Walking Shooter

The Walking Shooter

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationJupiter

I think Negan's storyline had the potential to be greater than the Governor's, they just overhyped it and executed the end of the storyline pretty badly.

Duffy Duck

Duffy Duck

Biter

• Members
  • Location413
Technically negans story isn't finished yet

Duffy Duck

Duffy Duck

Biter

• Members
  • Location413
And back in the day the prison war was hyped up too I think aow was good and all just didn't feel the struggle as they did with the gov.

The Walking Shooter

The Walking Shooter

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationJupiter

And back in the day the prison war was hyped up too I think aow was good and all just didn't feel the struggle as they did with the gov.

Whilst I've never read the comics in their initial publishing I did see some of the posters and covers that had "Anybody could die" around Made to Suffer. The thing was Kirkman actually went through with that and killed off half the cast. He then went on to say that AOW would have a much major impact than Made to Suffer but it was really another arc to me. The first half was excellent but the second let it down.

Canon_108

Canon_108

Lurker

• Members
AOW had the lowest quality writing the comic has ever seen...

Duffy Duck

Duffy Duck

Biter

• Members
  • Location413
I will say the prison arc really hit home but negan is still alive and it did change the game even though it was wishy washy. So there could still be more to come. I think of negan kinda like ricks joker, since batman couldn't kill him either, and vice versa.

The Walking Shooter

The Walking Shooter

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationJupiter

AOW had the lowest quality writing the comic has ever seen...

Nah I would say Days Gone Bye and Miles Behind Us was the lowest point in the comics. They weren't terrible per day but they really didn't grab my attention. Safety Behind Bars was the hook that got me addicted to the comics. If it hadn't I doubt I would have continued on.m

The Walking Shooter

The Walking Shooter

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationJupiter

I will say the prison arc really hit home but negan is still alive and it did change the game even though it was wishy washy. So there could still be more to come. I think of negan kinda like ricks joker, since batman couldn't kill him either, and vice versa.

Oh I agree he definitely has Storylines ahead of him. But right now he seems to be stuck in an endless loop in which he swears, plots out his master plan which fails, retreats, swears, plots out his master plan etc.

It's a shame because Kirkman could have made him so something completely different before he got captured. Whilst he can be a good character he doesn't hold a candle to the Governor, he just doesn't seem to have made a huge impact for the story in the grand scheme of things so far. And I'm not even taking about the amount of kills under his belt, because the Governor was a scary dude even when he wasn't doing something fucked up.

Xtracate

Xtracate

Lurker

• Members

Great article, I think it points out some really interesting things. 

The more I think about it, it seems clear to me that Negan is a much bigger threat, unless we believe he did have a change of heart there on the battlefield.  The Governor was bat-shit crazy and you can’t fix that, there isn’t even the possibility of treatment in the ZA so he had to be put down.  So while he did horrific things, being insane gives a bit of a pass at least in understanding why the evil things were done and offers a clearer conclusion. 

While Negan is a bit of a megalomaniac and has some other issues (bat envy anyone?) he is not insane that makes him far more dangerous, he is calculating and can seem reasonable and would be able to bide his time if he needed too, which is what I am expecting to happen over the new few issues.  I think he is more dangerous simply because he could appear to go along with the program when he is only looking for a way out.  While I can maybe see why wishy washy Rick would let him live, I expect it to be a huge mistake in the end.

The Walking Shooter

The Walking Shooter

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationJupiter

The more I think about it, it seems clear to me that Negan is a much bigger threat, unless we believe he did have a change of heart there on the battlefield.  The Governor was bat-shit crazy and you can’t fix that, there isn’t even the possibility of treatment in the ZA so he had to be put down.  So while he did horrific things, being insane gives a bit of a pass at least in understanding why the evil things were done and offers a clearer conclusion. 

While Negan is a bit of a megalomaniac and has some other issues (bat envy anyone?) he is not insane that makes him far more dangerous, he is calculating and can seem reasonable and would be able to bide his time if he needed too, which is what I am expecting to happen over the new few issues.  I think he is more dangerous simply because he could appear to go along with the program when he is only looking for a way out.  While I can maybe see why wishy washy Rick would let him live, I expect it to be a huge mistake in the end.

I have a feeling Rick will come to regret his decision down the road. Negan could possibly convince several people (Gabriel, some saviours) to help him escape and plan a mutiny. I was just recently playing "The Last of Us" and a similar plot arised when

Spoiler

Mr. NomNom

Mr. NomNom

Biter

• Members
  • LocationOhio

The more I think about it, it seems clear to me that Negan is a much bigger threat, unless we believe he did have a change of heart there on the battlefield. The Governor was bat-shit crazy and you can’t fix that, there isn’t even the possibility of treatment in the ZA so he had to be put down. So while he did horrific things, being insane gives a bit of a pass at least in understanding why the evil things were done and offers a clearer conclusion.

While Negan is a bit of a megalomaniac and has some other issues (bat envy anyone?) he is not insane that makes him far more dangerous, he is calculating and can seem reasonable and would be able to bide his time if he needed too, which is what I am expecting to happen over the new few issues. I think he is more dangerous simply because he could appear to go along with the program when he is only looking for a way out. While I can maybe see why wishy washy Rick would let him live, I expect it to be a huge mistake in the end.

If this happens, i will be done. Having negan escape and then attack with some savoirs would be idiotic. Though it seems that's what they could go for so Rick will once again go back to pissed off Rick. Then kill him.

deahmed

deahmed

Infected

• Members
  • LocationDenmark

Guvenor had no reason to do what he did, but Negan had a reason to do what he did.

The brutal one: Guvenor (YOU KILLED TYRESSE!!!!)

I think the reason behind so much hate to Negan is because he killed Glenn! Damn you Negan!

The Walking Shooter

The Walking Shooter

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationJupiter

Guvenor had no reason to do what he did, but Negan had a reason to do what he did.

The brutal one: Guvenor (YOU KILLED TYRESSE!!!!)

I think the reason behind so much hate to Negan is because he killed Glenn! Damn you Negan!

There was no reason for either of them, only lame excuses.

The Governor granted had a mental disorder. In the novel
Spoiler
. But overall what he did was purely because he loved having control and revenge, although a tiny part of that was to find a better haven for his people as well.

Negan works under the guise of having a reason: new world order. In actual fact he is holding five women as his wives under the guise of free will punish those who disobey him in extreme matters, batters the fuck out of a young man to prove a point, makes a fool out of a young child with one eye, guts a man, kills countless people, uses a walker bomb in the form of Holly to explode a community, destroys the Hilltop's defences and uses a new weapon to infect people faster.

Sure most of that was during a war, but the point is Negan is pretty fucked up in the head and only did this stuff to have his own comfortable and luxurious lifestyle. Not to create a new society.

deathraygun

deathraygun

Infected

• Members
  • LocationAustin, TX
The problem with Negan, is that the entire AOW arc was trying to top the Prison arc. I think the guv was more sadistic, and Negan comes off (or at least started to) as a bully. I had high hopes for Negan after Glenn, but I'm still waiting for the "a-ha!" Moment when He released Carl back to Rick. The guv never would've done that, at least not without having a plan to inflict maximum pain and carnage.
Fire walk with me.

FearTheHunters

FearTheHunters

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationOn my way to Canada

There was no reason for either of them, only lame excuses.

The Governor granted had a mental disorder. In the novel

Spoiler
. But overall what he did was purely because he loved having control and revenge, although a tiny part of that was to find a better haven for his people as well.

Negan works under the guise of having a reason: new world order. In actual fact he is holding five women as his wives under the guise of free will punish those who disobey him in extreme matters, batters the fuck out of a young man to prove a point, makes a fool out of a young child with one eye, guts a man, kills countless people, uses a walker bomb in the form of Holly to explode a community, destroys the Hilltop's defences and uses a new weapon to infect people faster.

Sure most of that was during a war, but the point is Negan is pretty fucked up in the head and only did this stuff to have his own comfortable and luxurious lifestyle. Not to create a new society.

holly did not explode last i checked....

FearTheHunters

FearTheHunters

Roamer

• Members

i'm seeing a lot of joker-batman comparisons between rick and negan, but maybe it's the other way around and rick is really negan's joker? since negan is the only one with a bat, he is the only one worthy of the title of batman.

Duffy Duck

Duffy Duck

Biter

• Members
  • Location413

i'm seeing a lot of joker-batman comparisons between rick and negan, but maybe it's the other way around and rick is really negan's joker? since negan is the only one with a bat, he is the only one worthy of the title of batman.

if I could +1 this I would. But I've been saying this the whole time

The Walking Shooter

The Walking Shooter

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationJupiter

holly did not explode last i checked....

Wouldn't that be a sight. But seriously she was used as an distraction (but Denise) and then Negan used that opportunity of surprise by throwing grenades into Alexandria (killing several Redshirts and taking off Heath's leg).

FearTheHunters

FearTheHunters

Roamer

• Members

it'da been funny if they used a red shirt to tie off heath's leg... not sure that would work out in b&w though..

Guest_CraigTNelsonMandela_*

Guest_CraigTNelsonMandela_*
  • Guests

it'da been funny if they used a red shirt to tie off heath's leg... not sure that would work out in b&w though..

if they did it sin city style

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!