- - - - - rock and a hard place fanfiction

GirlsDeadMonster

GirlsDeadMonster

Biter

• Members
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

The next installment....enjoy!

The Wall Thirteen

Council Head Grimes paced back and forth in his office. Reports have been coming in from the outer districts of a possible breach and walkers inside the city. Rick already ordered the NCD out to take care of the problem but hasn’t heard anything back.

“Hudson, any word?” Rick as desperately.

“No, sir. I’m sure the situation is not as serious as the reports are making it out to be. The people are just scared. They haven’t had to deal with walkers for decades because of your heroism in establishing this city.” Troy heaped on the compliments.

“Hudson, I’d prefer that you get your head out my ass and find out where my daughter is. One walker inside the wall is serious. The people are looking to us for help.” Rick stared out his massive window at the peaceful garden beyond; with the sun shining and pedestrians walking calmly in the streets, you would never think there was a crisis.

“Of course they are. The NCD are doing all they can to contain the situation. The Dead Heads are pretty bold to try this. Perhaps we should expand our efforts to find their leader and take the head of the snake, so to speak.” Troy suggested hiding a smirk.

“We’ll worry about that after we clear any remaining walkers. And find my daughter goddamn it!” Rick was losing his patience; his blue eyes lit with anger.

“Of course, sir.” Troy backed out and left the office closing the doors behind him. He learned long ago when Grimes reached his breaking point, better not push him any further. Troy heard stories of what he was like before the city was established and it was enough to make his skin crawl. He spotted Councilman Betty Patterson standing in an alcove of the main hall.

“Betty, how are you?” Troy plastered a practiced smile on his face.

“Troy, walk with me.” Betty spoke in the soft tones that make men weak. Her long chocolate brown hair smelled of lavender when she pass by him, Troy inhaled deeply. “I heard there are walkers in Columbus Square, is that accurate?” She asked with feigned concern.

“Reports are conflicting but,” Troy was interrupted.

“Cut the shit Troy, you’ve been a bad boy haven’t you?” A knowing smile spread across her red lips.

“If all goes well we can clear out the poor from the outer ring and topple the Grimes dynasty all the while blaming the Dead Heads for the suffering and the untimely death of our benevolent leader.” Troy spoke in low tones.

“Does he know you’ve closed the gates to both walls?” Betty asked.

“He knows nothing. He’s so absorbed in his own problems that he doesn’t see much else.” Troy assured.

“What about the project? Has Subject J accomplished the mission?” Betty glanced around making sure no one was close enough to hear. Because they were in plain sight, the casual onlooker would think that two council members were simply conducting small talk.

“J has come into contact with the Dead Heads but lost the target after a fight.” Troy informed.

“A fight?” Betty turned to face him, cool gray eyes meeting deep black. “Idiot! We need her alive, you moron!” Betty raised her voice unintentionally, her words echoed in the wide hall.

“I understand. I will informed Major James to send more NCD to,” Troy was interrupted again.

“No! You’ll see to this yourself, Troy. This project is very important to me and I’ll not see it destroyed by the Dead Heads or your incompetence.” Her rose lips twisted into a snarl as she forced her words past clenched teeth.

“Me? I can’t go out there! I’ve lived in Charleston my whole life even before the Wall. I haven’t gone outside the inner gates in years…” Troy pleaded.

“Shit man grow some balls. Listen Troy, if you’re going to play in my sandbox, you’d best be prepared to get dirty. Now you’re going, I’ll notify Major James to expect you in an hour. You find that girl and bring her back to me now or I’ll make you sorry you were ever born.” Betty’s sing song voice was dripping with venom.

Across the city a small group slowly make their way into the maze that is the outer Wall. Hank took up point holding his borrowed pistol firmly in front of him.

“Take this next left.” Carl spoke softly directed behind Hank. The group moved swiftly keeping noise down to a minimum. Hank came to a stop just outside a closed door marked ‘Armory’.

“There is usually four guards on duty, two forward by the door, one in the weapon’s cage and one positioned on the second level landing. Our goal is to take the two front guards and the one on the landing, if we don’t get him he can take us out from above. Last is the guard in the weapons’ cage but we’ll burn that bridge when we come to it. Ready?” Carl laid out the plan quickly and everyone knew their role.

Jen and Trinity will hang back with Marla until the all clear was given. Daryl stepped up to the door, arrow already loaded.

“I’ll take the bird’s nest.” The three men nodded acknowledgement and Carl reached for the door. He knew once he opened it a firestorm will erupt. Taking steadying breaths Carl twisted the knob and threw the door open with a loud thud, staying low to the ground he raised his weapon to cover Daryl as he ran further into the interior.

No bullets met them, no alarms sounded, no men yelled for back up. Hank, Carl, Daryl and Jason stood in an empty armory with four dead guards; all shot in the head execution style. Their hands and feet bound behind them, their eyes blindfolded.

Along the far wall was a message written in black paint. Scrawled on the wall was, ‘There is no life behind the Wall, Dead Heads.’ The weapon’s cage was bare, the wall racks looted; some clips and bullets littered the floor as if someone emptied the cache in a hurry.

“What the hell?” Daryl exclaimed as he read the message. “They did this. They did this to make it look like it was us!” He kicked an empty clip against the wall in anger.

“Gone, everything…taken.” Jason spoke solemnly.

“My God, I can’t believe they would do this. That they would go so far…killing their own guards?” Marla spoke in disbelief. Even when Carl explained to her that the New Charleston government was responsible for the walker bomb days ago and that they have been leading a campaign of scare tactics to blame the Dead Heads she still couldn’t believe him.

“So you all didn’t do this. The government did? But why, what’s their purpose of scaring people like this?” Hank asked as he walked around looking for any weapon they might have missed.

“Because people who are scared are easy to control. They just want to be safe, you tell them what you need to do to keep them safe and the people will fall in line.” Carl explained unsure how his father could do this. He’s seen his father do terrible things to keep him and Judith safe but this wasn’t making sense. There is another reason for this but Carl didn’t want to say until he knew for certain. He had to get to the inner wall, he had to see for himself.

“We did this.” A small voice spoke from the doorway. Hank’s daughter Jen was there but she too looked to her left and the speaker.

“We did this. Me and Jiff and Kay and Connor. We were hired to do this, it’s why I didn’t say anything earlier.” Trinity walked out of the shadows and into the glare of all in the room. Carl reached her in few steps grabbing her shirt at the collar.

“Who? Who told you to do this? Who was it!?” He yelled, his spittle hitting her face.

“I don’t know his name, I swear. We got our orders from a Major something. He got his orders from a councilman I think. Honestly that’s all I know. Kay did most of the negotiating.” Trinity gripped his wrist trying to wriggle her way loose.

“Carl!” Marla roared at him to let her go. Carl put Trinity back on her feet.

“And what did you get out of it? What was the deal, girl?” Daryl spoke as he circled her, pacing back and forth. When Trinity didn’t answer Daryl stepped in front of her, loaded and arrow, and place the tip to her forehead in one fluid movement. “You better say something.” He warned.

“Daryl, wait.” Marla tried to deescalate the situation. “Maybe she really doesn’t know, okay. Killing her solves nothing.”

“Daryl, stand down.” Carl said calmly. Daryl didn’t hesitate, at Carl’s command he lowered the bow and returned the arrow to the quiver on his back. “We need to keep moving. We’re going to one of our safe houses, there’s food and water and some weapons. But there’s a whole army of walkers between us and it.”

“Then what?” Hank asked.

“Then we go to the inner Wall. There’s someone I need to visit.” Carl’s tone is steady and methodic.

To continue…

I don't have to outrun walkers, I just have to outrun you!
Highschool Of The Dead full 240316

the Walkin Dude

the Walkin Dude

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationSouthern Md. Chesapeake Bay

excellent, great job.

Roll outta my coffin Drink poison in my chalice Pride begins to fade And y'all feel my malice

lone star walker

lone star walker

Biter

• Members
  • Locationroaming the prairie
Strong story with strong characters!

BitBrit

BitBrit

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationNorth West England
Another interesting twist.

GirlsDeadMonster

GirlsDeadMonster

Biter

• Members
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Don't forget you can read all my fanfiction and more on my blog http://lolitalynn.blogspot.com/

Please enjoy and leave a comment. I would love to hear what you think. Thanks!

The Wall Fourteen

“This isn’t right, Rick! You can’t do this! This is not you, man.” Glenn yelled, his voice echoing in the underground facility.

“Don’t you see, Glenn? This research will help us all. To be able to save those who have already been turned? How can we not act on that? The vaccine didn’t work, all it did was accelerate the change. But this…this is different.” Rick pointed his gun at Glenn, preventing him from reaching her. Maggie lay strapped to an exam table, her baby crying in the adjacent crib.

“I won’t let you do this. You can’t have my daughter!” Glenn screamed as he rushed towards Rick. The two wrestled for the gun and fell to the floor.

“Glenn, don’t make me kill you!” Rick roared as he kneed Glenn in the ribs.

“Please stop! Please…my baby! My baby!” Maggie cried helpless to stop them from killing each other. She couldn’t understand how their group got to this point. They were so close until founding this city. A disagreement in how to run it caused this fracture that Maggie feared would never heal. Now, after weeks of being experimented on Maggie could feel the change start. Her body was dying but all she cared about was her family.

Her eyes began to blur and it became difficult to breath. The sounds of her baby’s cries and her husband’s struggle pierced her failing brain. “Glenn, save them. Please…save them.”

Rick was knocked unconscious no longer able to keep up with the younger man. Glenn pointed the gun at his head. How could he do this to them? They were a family, how could he? Maggie’s voice stopped him. She was turning and he would have to end her. The facility around them was on fire, the Dead Heads accomplished their mission of stopping the experiments but for how long.

Even if Rick died someone like Betty “the Bitch” Patterson will just take his place. Rick can still be reasoned with, Glenn thought he wasn’t too far gone. He dragged Rick’s unconscious body outside the room, leaving him in the hall for his people to find. Glenn could hear their boots on the staircase. He turned back to the inferno and his dead wife. Maggie clawed at him as he walked closer; the love of his life looking at him with dead eyes. In the crib, their baby girl Beth cried for her mother.  

“Glenn!” Carl yelled as he ran from the hole made in the floor that lead to the sewer system. “We need to go! Now!” Carl grabbed Beth and wrapped her in a blanket. The smoke began to choke him.

“You go, keep her safe…please. They’ll be looking for her.” The fire raged behind him.

“No, no. Don’t do this. She’ll need you, come with me.” Carl pleaded.

“No, she’ll have you to protect her. Go Carl. I want to be with my wife.” Glenn’s eyes never left her face as he spoke and Carl knew he couldn’t convince him. He started back for the opening in the floor. He had to get Beth out of here before they realized she was still alive.

Glenn smoothed back Maggie’s hair. He lowered his face to meet hers, she tried to bite him. “Maggie, I love you so much. Our daughters will be safe, we’ll watch over them together. I love you.” He kissed her cold forehead and squeezed the trigger, blowing her brains out the side of her head. Glen cried as he lifted the gun to his temple. The fire lapped at his heels but he couldn’t feel it; he was numb. Her face was the last thing he saw, he squeezed her hand and felt the ring there as he pulled the trigger and everything went black.

Carl woke up on the sofa in the safe house. The dream lingering in his mind as he rose to meet the day. It took their group two exhausting days to cross the lower quadrants of New Charleston to get here in one piece. Much of the food and water stock piles were gone, ransacked by looters. The weapons cache didn’t fare much better; only a few guns and ammo were left, stored in secret compartments in the bathroom.

Carl watched Marla as she slept on the loveseat unsure if he should tell her what really happened to her parents or her sister; a sister she has never known of for both their safety. Marla didn’t even know her mom was pregnant again. Beth is about two years old now and living in secret outside the Walls of New Charleston.

“Carl, when should we get underway?” Daryl asked him wide awake since taking the early morning watch. Carl checked his watch, it’s just about 4AM; the sun had yet to peek over the horizon.

“Give them another 30 minutes, then we set off.” The group was fatigued and it wouldn’t do any good to start the long trek to the inner wall exhausted. Hank and his daughter both lay on the floor on a mattress. Trinity sprawled across an armchair. Daryl nodded and went back to his post. Carl fought off sleeping again and instead went upstairs to an empty room with a wooded desk and chair. He pulled out his journal; well-worn leather and many creases with yellowing pages and a leather strap to close it. He smiled as if getting a visit from an old friend.

He started journaling when their original group was still on the road as a way to get his thoughts out and reflect on what this new life is about. Now in his late thirties he found that journaling is also a great way to document Dead Head strategies and maneuvers. Carl wrote about what happened at the outer wall, Trinity’s confession, and the status of Safe House 11.

Before returning the journal to its place in his inner pocket, Carl flipped to an earlier entry involving Maggie and Glen’s deaths then Marla walked in. Carl quickly closed the journal.

“Couldn’t sleep?” Marla asked. She pulled her hoodie tighter against the chill of the early morning air.

“I’m normally up at this time. You?” Carl asked.

“Nightmare. I just…can’t believe this is really happening. I thought that life of running and hiding was finally over.” Marla sat on the twin cot against the far wall.

“That life would never be over, Marla, not as long as there are walkers. You can’t let your guard down, ever. That’s what people in New Charleston are guilty of. Forgetting the world they live in.”

“Or just wanting to relive the world they lost. There’s nothing wrong with wanting a normal life Carl. Growing up and only having to worry about grades and boys and clothes.” Marla fantasied.

“But you didn’t live that life. You have no memories of that kind of life.” Carl scolded her and immediately regretted it when he saw that fanciful look fade from her eyes. Marla wanted that life, one she would never have. It just doesn’t exist anymore.

“Why do you think I read so much? I’m not stupid Carl, I know that world is gone but do you always have to remind people how messed up this world really is?” Her voice cracked with emotion.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to…” Now was the perfect time to tell Marla the truth and in knowing what he knows perhaps she’ll understand. “Marla, I need to tell you about something. A secret that I’ve been keeping for a while now, even from you only for your safety.”

Marla leaned in, Carl has always been an introverted leader. Cool under pressure, decisive but aloof almost to the point of being perceived as emotionless. He doesn’t impart secrets to just anyone, only those in his inner circle.

“It’s about Beth.”

“My aunt? What secret do you have about her?” Marla was confused.

“No not your aunt. Your sister. Two years ago, your mom gave birth to a baby girl they named Beth, shortly after that your parents died. I took Beth outside the wall to live and be safe. She’s the key.” Carl was vague but could see Marla was trying to let everything sink in.

“Where is she? Who has her?” Marla stood up.

“She’s with Michonne.”

To continue….

the Walkin Dude

the Walkin Dude

Roamer

• Members

WOW Excellent, Great Job

Roll outta my coffin Drink poison in my chalice Pride begins to fade And y'all feel my malice

lone star walker

lone star walker

Biter

• Members
  • Locationroaming the prairie
Fantastic! You are one creative writer!

BitBrit

BitBrit

Survivor

• Members
Another interesting twist!

GirlsDeadMonster

GirlsDeadMonster

Biter

• Members
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Welcome to the conclusion of The Wall story line of the Rock and a Hard Place series. Its been a long road but I finally finished and I hope you enjoy the last installment as much as I enjoyed writing it. As always please leave your comments and let me know what you think. Thanks for sticking with it! You can find this series and more on my blog at http://lolitalynn.blogspot.com/

The Wall Fifteen

Year 23, August, Early Morning:      Glenn and Maggie are dead. They died together. We were not able to go back and retrieve their bodies. At least Rick gave them a proper burial; one of the few considerate things he’s done in recent years. I don’t think I can forgive him for this. I don’t think I can even call him Dad anymore. We’re so different and yet…so much the same. We want the same things but go about it in different ways. Rick believes in ultimate control to protect those you love. I don’t. Building a wall will not keep the dead out. Scanning patrols, assigning jobs, making people “earn” their place will only bring about one thing…revolution.

One silver lining is Beth. She’s beautiful; she has Maggie’s eyes. Marla is leaving the Dead Heads, she can’t forgive what happened to her parents. I sent them on this mission and they didn’t come back from it. She blames me and I can understand it. I won’t tell her about Beth….not yet. I don’t want Marla to do something that would endanger herself. She wants to blend in with the people of New Charleston. I can at least help her with that.

New name, new identity, new start. We should all be so lucky. I’ll keep an eye on her though. One day, we’re going to need her. I sent Michonne outside the wall with Beth. No one must know she survived the fire.

Dr. Hopkins analyzed Beth’s blood. I can’t really say exactly what she said with all her technical talk but in laymen’s terms; she’s special. Because she was exposed to the walker virus while still in the womb the virus and her DNA are coexisting somehow. Doc called this Chromosome Fusion? Not sure what that really is but she’ll continue to work on it for the foreseeable future. Not only that, Beth may be the key to even curing this thing. Unfortunately there is also a side effect of changing some walkers into something else. Something…more dangerous. Could this be what Rick wanted? Create an army of controllable walkers? If it is, then the Dead Heads are going to have to act soon. We’re preparing now…for war.

-Carl Grimes

Carl closed his journal after reading the old entry. Marla knows about Beth and he feels a weight lifted off his shoulders. Marla wants to see her, he can’t allow that, not now. New Charleston is in turmoil, the lower ring is flooded with walkers and the survivors are in disbelief. The NCD has yet to make an appearance of at least trying to contain the walkers which leads Carl to believe that they are all hiding behind the inner wall waiting for the inevitable to happen.

The city is not lost, not entirely. After hours of walking with the occasional Zeek to put down the group finally made it to the inner wall. From their hidden vantage point, Carl observed the NCD patrolling the top walkway.

“So here’s where all the forces are. Why am I not surprised?” Daryl spoke as he squatted low out of sight.

“Unbelievable. You have innocent people dying in the streets and the NCD does nothing but patrol a wall?” Hank spoke incredulously.

“Of course, all the big shots are behind that wall. All the assets, or as I like to call them, the assholes.” Trinity kneeled beside Jen. The group crouched unaware of the elite squad of NCD bearing down on their position.

Councilman Troy spoke the Major James sitting in the truck beside him. “Now remember James, we want these Dead Heads alive. You can shoot them but don’t kill them. They have valuable information that we need.” Troy smirked as he watched the group on the security camera.

“Oh they’ll give us a fight, Councilman. More than likely one of those Dead Heads in the leader and a pain in my ass for several years now.

“Don’t worry Major, I have a feeling they won’t put up much of a fight.” Troy’s smirk turned into a full grin as the NCD converged on them.

Carl spoke to Daryl trying to plan their infiltration of the Inner Wall when a feeling struck him. He stopped talking midsentence. “Carl? You alright?” A single bullet hit the concrete wall in between the two sending rocks flying. The group turned drawing their weapons.

“I wouldn’t do that if I were you.” A male voice crackled over a loud speaker. “You are surrounded. If you want to die then please by all means try to shoot your way out of this but I’m sure you want to live so drop your guns now.” The voice said sarcastically.

“Don’t do it.” Daryl spoke softly. “We can’t be taken. If some of us can make it out, I’d rather take that chance.” Daryl fingered the trigger on his bow.

“Stop it! Please, please stop.” A female voice now pleaded on the loud speaker. A familiar female. “Please, don’t hurt them.”

“I should have known you were a part of them. I’m glad I had you followed to confirm my suspicions.” Troy spoke. “Drop your weapons or Judith will die.”

Carl’s heart sank, in a split second he was thrilled to know his baby sister was still alive but now devastated with the reality that she was taken. “Put down you guns.” Carl commanded. No one hesitated, the Dead Heads were not going to win this standoff.

“That’s good. I’m glad I finally caught the mysterious leader of the Dead Heads. Isn’t that right Carl? I should have known that also. Take them!” NCD dressed in black gear descended on them, efficiently taking them down with blows to the back of the head. Carl watched his people being tied up as he was hit and the lights went out.

As the NCD gathered what was left of the Dead Heads into a truck for transport beyond the inner wall a lone walker viewed them. It didn’t attack but turned away and rounded a corner to shamble out of sight. Its dead legs carried it along the inner wall to a point where the patrol on the top thinned out.

The walker reached its hand up and grasped a piece of cement jutting out; it haul its frail frame up the wall hand over hand. It didn’t care that its fingers cracked; it felt no pain and left a trail of blood in its wake. Some entrails splattered on the ground as it lifted itself up and over. It simply stepped over the organs and ambled to the singular guard pissing over the wall unawares.

It grabbed his neck and dug its teeth into the flesh, the guard only able to let out a gurgled scream. The walker dropped the body not intending on feasting but needing this guard to turn and join him. The walker moved on to the next one.

The truck carrying Carl and the group moved through the inner gate into the heart of New Charleston to the well-guarded holding cells. It was here where they locked up citizen who break the rules but most were here simply to be experimented on.

Betty Patterson started the experiment program two years ago under the nose of Head Councilman Grimes who wanted to shut the whole thing down; the fool. If only they could have saved the infant or even retrieved the body the project would be much further along than it is now.

Betty paced her lounge with the two way mirror into the holding cells and labs. She wanted to be able to see the testing without the subjects seeing her. She would never admit to anyone the rush she feels when watching the subjects suffer. She felt almost God-like to have such control over their lives. Her lounge was fully appointed with a Persian rug, satin chaise lounge chair, velvet pillows, a sparkling crystal chandelier, and expensive turn of the century art stolen from some of the more prestigious museums.

A new group a test subjects were being dragged to their cells. This was a special group, the remains of the Dead Heads and their leader. Carl Grimes was just waking up as Betty sipped her glass of merlot and sat down to watch.

Daryl kicked at the closest guard’s legs causing him to fall. He was not going to be put in a cage. Two more guards wrestled him down to the floor kicking him in the sides and cracking a rib.

“Be easy, they won’t make good candidates if they’re injured.” A man’s voice spoke in the darkness. Troy Hudson stepped forward hauling a struggling Judith with him.

“If you hurt her, it will be the last thing you ever do.” Carl threatened, his eyes locked on Troy.

“Empty threats Grimes, you’re locked up and can’t do a goddamn thing.” To prove his point, Troy violently twisted Judith’s arm behind her back, she let out a painful scream. Carl flinched as if in pain himself upon seeing his sister hurt. “You’ll do well to listen to what we say from now on, if you want to survive this.”

“Stop bullshitting us. You’re not going to keep us alive.” Daryl said leaning against the bars of the cell he was thrown in. “The people who come in here don’t make it out.”

“Clever. You know you’re not as dumb as you look.” Troy looked behind him at the mirror knowing Betty was watching. She liked to watch and he wanted to put on a show for her. Carl flicked his eyes to the oversized mirror and quickly back again noting it. “So doctor, which do you want?” Troy asked the shadows.

The click of heels on the floor sounded as a woman stepped forward with a clip board. Carl recognized her immediately. “I’ll take this female and this male.” She spoke pointing to Trinity and Jason.

“Aww hell no!” Jason yelled as he was yanked to his feet, hands still tied behind his back. Trinity was lifted too but didn’t say anything. She simply looked at Jen as if to say goodbye.

“No! Trinity! Jason!” Jen yelled as they were escorted out of the room. Hank was placed in the adjoining cell to Daryl while Jen was place in the cell directly across with Marla.

“Dr. Hopkins. I was wondering where you had gone off to for the last few weeks. Didn’t know you were ‘sleeping with the enemy’ so to speak.” Carl ground out the words with venom. He was tired of people he trusted turning on him.

“I’m sorry Carl, but you tasked me with finding out how the walker virus can live in a healthy person and the facilities you provided were inadequate. Not to mention the benefits Councilman Hudson promised me outweighed what the Dead Heads could offer. I’m so close Carl, can’t you see? I’m so close to solving this thing. I’m going to save the world, just like you wanted.”

“Or destroy it.” Carl added.

“No…” Dr. Hopkins whispered, she wanted Carl to understand. “The world didn’t end when the dead started to rise up. This is just the next evolutionary stage of mankind’s existence. We have to evolve too. Our DNA is made up of 20,000 genes, do you know that 97 percent of that is not used at all. It’s inactive…97 percent. How have we risen to the dominate species on Earth without using more of our DNA? The 3 percent that control our physical makeup, our hair color, how tall we are, our intelligence is called Exons while all that wasted space is called Introns.

“I’ve found that test subjects that have a genetic mutation of using more than 3 percent of their DNA, the Exons, are what we need for Chromosome Fusion. Remember Carl when we talked about that? Chromosome Fusion is when the walker virus and normal human DNA can live together.”

“That’s why you have the scanners! They’re not testing for the infected, they were testing for the subjects you need.” Hank put two and two together.

“Brilliantly deduced Mr. McAdams. You and your daughter carry those genetic mutations too with high potential. I’ll be saving your testing for last in this grouping.”

“The man at the Processing station. The one that was taken away when the scanners showed he was infected. He wasn’t was he? Jen asked.

“Of course not, and he actually saved the two of you that day. I only needed one more subject and since he scanned positive first, he was taken. Your scans were noted and saved in the system for pick up later. The frequent scans are so we can keep track of you and your movements throughout the city.”

“How can you do this Beverly? How can you turn people into monsters?” Carl asked her.

“I was hoping you would understand Carl. I need to go now, my subjects are probably prepped and ready for me.” Dr. Hopkins turned on her heels and walked out of the room leaving Troy to speak with Carl.

“I think I’ll hold on to Judith here. In case you try anything…stupid.” Troy forced Judith out of the room and slid the metal door closed behind him.

Betty enjoyed that display and she now moved down to the next window to peer into the adjoining room where Trinity and Jason were strapped to metal tables. She took another sip of wine.

“Please, please don’t do this.” Jason pleaded straining against his wrist straps.

“Jason, I’ve always liked you. You made me laugh.” Dr. Hopkins smiled remembering how they joked with each other as she prepped a syringe with bright pink fluid and a very long large needle.

“I can make you laugh some more just please, please let us out of here. You don’t have to do this. This guy said I don’t even have that, that...mutation thing.” Jason tried to reason with her.

“No you don’t but a good scientist always has a control subject. Now, I have to say the quickest way to get this into your brain is to go through your eye socket. It will be painful but that won’t last long because when your brain begins to die that will be excruciating.” Dr. Hopkins said with all the emotion of a science teacher about to dissect a frog.

“No! No please God no!!” The guard strapped his head down and Dr. Hopkins positioned the needle at the corner of his left eye. He screamed as the metal syringe plunged into his flesh drilling its way through the eye wall and into the brain. Dr. Hopkins pressed down on the plunger and push the concentrated pink fluid into the brain. Blood tears ran down his face.

Trinity closed her eyes and tried to drown out Jason’s screams with thoughts of her sister. Her twin waiting for her on the other side. Her skin was clear of open wounds, her jaw was back into place; she looked as she did before she was bitten. That’s how Trinity wants to remember her, smiling and happy. Jason’s screams were replaced by the groans of the undead. Trinity made the mistake of opening her eyes to see a large syringe hovering over her right eye. She thought of her sister again.

“Trisha….I’ll see you soon.” Trinity whispered as the syringe entered her eye. Betty behind the mirror took her last sip of wine with satisfaction. She left her lounge to find Troy. It was time they let Councilman Grimes in on the secret that his son is the leader of the Dead Heads.

“We need to get out of here.” Daryl spoke from his cell.

“Already working on that.” Jen said as she attempted to squeeze her body through the bars on her cell.

“Jen, what the hell are you doing? You won’t fit.” Marla urged her to stay inside.

“I’m not that big, I can slip through and get help, maybe find the keys.”

“No it’s too dangerous.” Hank yelled.

“Hank, I think it’s more dangerous to stay put.” Carl said solemnly. Jen continued to wiggle her way out while in the next room a groaning Jason lay next to a still Trinity.

“Umm, perhaps I was wrong about this one. But the scan showed she had the potential right?” Dr. Hopkins asked the guard. “Let me see those scans again.” As Dr. Hopkins reached over to take the scanning unit Trinity’s arms shot up breaking the wrist restraints and grabbing the doctor by the head. In a quick motion, Trinity snapped her neck easily. The guard had no time to react as Trinity sat up and captured both his wrist in a vice like grip. She popped his arms from his torso as if he were a Ken doll. The guard screamed in pain as he fell to the floor in a wet thud.

The thing that was Trinity stepped off the metal table and looked at the thing that was Jason clawing to get free. Trinity ripped the wrist restraints off him and allowed him to leave with her.

Jen bent her leg in an odd angle and fell to the floor outside the cell. “I’m out.” She said as she rubbed her thigh.

“Good, now I want you to take a metal bar and throw it through that mirror.” Carl commanded.

“The mirror? Why?” Jen asked

“It’s a two way mirror. I’m sure of it.” Carl responded.

“You mean someone could be watching us right now?” Marla asked concerned.

“I doubt it, there would alarms by now or guards rushing in.” Daryl pointed out.

Jen grabbed the bar when a sound from the sliding metal door grabbed her attention. Jen could see Trinity through the glass but she wasn’t Trinity anymore. She’s infected. Knowing she couldn’t get through the door, Jen turned back to her task when the click of a latch drew her attention back to Trinity. The door slid open slowly and Trinity stood in the doorway glaring at her through blood red tears. She would have to kill her friend just as Trinity had to kill her sister. It was the only way.

“No Jen, don’t go near her. She’s not like the other infected.” Hank warned. At that point Trinity rushed in going for Jen. “NO!” Hank yelled helpless shaking the bars through clenched fists.

Jen swung the bar at Trinity’s head but she ducked out of the way. She clipped Jen at the legs knocking her off balance and to the floor. Jen brought the bar up as Trinity rolled on top of her holding the bar and pressing it down.

Jen felt cold metal touch her neck and pain radiated downward. It was getting harder to breath as the pipe cut off her air. Trinity growled as she pressed down harder. Jen’s lungs burned for air and finally she kicked her bottom half up throwing Trinity off her. Trinity held onto the bar and wielded it like a weapon. Jen was on her feet and dodged the first swing.

“Keep moving Jen, keep moving! Stay on your feet!” Hank coached from the cell.

“You got this Jen. You’re a strong girl.” Marla encouraged all the while her heart was racing with fear.

Jen dodged the second swing but the third caught her in her gut knocking that precious air right back out of her. Her vision blurred as she fell to her knees. Trinity set herself up for another swing to Jen’s head but Jen fell back as the pipe caught the very top of her head causing it to bleed. Trinity swung down and Jen caught the pipe in her hands. Placing her foot in Trinity’s belly Jen used her momentum to through Trinity up and over her.

Jen spun to her feet and brought the pipe down on Trinity’s head with a heavy thud. She did it again and again until her face was completely smashed in.

“You did it Jen.” Hank assured. She looked at her father, she saw the pride in his eyes. But just to make sure, Jen slammed the pipe down on her head again sending bone fragments and coagulated blood flying.

“Quadruple tap. Nice.” Daryl approved. Jen walked to the mirror and sent the pipe flying through. On the other side was a very expensive looking but empty room. Jen crawled through the opening and found a table stand with a set of keys in it.

“Hank, you need to take your daughter and Marla and get out of here. I’m not sure how much longer this city is going to last now. We’re going to find Judith…and my father.” Carl instructed.

“No, we’re going to help you end this. These experiments can’t continue; we need to stop it here and now. No matter what.” Hank stated with confidence. The group left the holding cells picking off weapons from down NCD agents.

“Trinity must have taken them out.” Hank observed.

“Not all of them. There must be more.” Carl stated ominously.

“Shit’s hitting the fan, big time.” Daryl added. The Dead Heads nor the NCD knew that the inner wall was filling with the dead as Troy forced Judith down the corridor.

“Judith?” Rick came upon them in the hall.

“Dad!” Judith cried out but Troy stopped her from running to him.

“Troy! What the hell is this? You let her go!” Rick instinctively reached down to his hip only to grasp air. He hasn’t had to wear his gun in years but never missed it more than now.

“Councilman Grimes, I’m actually glad you’re hear so I can tell you that we finally found the leader of the Dead Heads. He’s in a holding cell now but your daughter here, Judith is also one of them.” Troy laughed.

“What? Judy is this true?” Rick asked.

“Daddy, please.” Judith pleaded.

“Yes, your son is the leader. He’s the one that has been sabotaging New Charleston for years.”

“Liar!” Carl burst through the double doors and yelled. “You’re the one sabotaging New Charleston. Making these super walkers, experimenting on people like Trinity and Maggie.”

“What? I told you to stop those tests. I told you I didn’t want to do that anymore. You bastard.” Rick advanced on Troy but a bullet fired through his right shoulder sent him to the ground.

“Dad!” Judith cried out.

“You sentimental old fool.” Betty Patterson emerged from the alcove pointing a gun at them. “You never really embraced the progress we were making.”

“You bitch. You killed them. I was trying to save them and you killed them.” Rick accused.

“No. You killed Maggie when you approved of the testing.”

“That was a mistake. I never should have…”

“Well we can’t change the past Rick. Only move forward and I think new leadership is in order perhaps….” Betty’s words stopped as a walker plunged its abnormally long forearms through her abdomen. Betty looked down to see the arms dangling through her expensive Dior dress but all she could manage to say was “son of a bitc-“ as the arms pulled apart and ripped her in two.

“Betty!” Troy let go of Judith and pointed a gun at the walker. Its neck was unusually long and its mouth was ripped open from ear to ear in a grisly permanent smile. The thing dodged Troy’s bullets, none hitting their mark and it slammed its mouth down on Troy’s neck lifting him off the ground.

“GO!” Carl yelled as the group ran down the corridor. Carl held out the bag he picked up from a dead guard; inside were grenades. Daryl and Hank fired their weapons back at the creature but it did nothing to slow it. It ran for them on all fours like an animal with its bobble head bouncing on its long lanky neck.

Carl pulled the pin from a grenade and sealed it in the bag. He sent the bag flying back into the corridor. Daylight peeked from ahead; the main doors to city hall was slightly ajar. Daryl and Hank forced the tall heavy doors open enough for the group to squeeze through and they slammed it shut just as Carl exited.  

“Fire in the hole!” Carl yelled as the group took cover. The massive explosion sent glass and debris flying in all directions knocking everyone to the ground. The heavy doors contained the initial blast but not the residual ones. They came flying off the building and into the sky; sailing overhead. City hall, the centerpiece of New Charleston came crashing down.

“Holy shit!” Jen exclaimed.

“Is everyone alright?” Carl asked. Judith helped Rick to his feet. Hank lifted Marla up as she dusted cement from her clothes. Daryl’s focus was ahead of them to the inner wall.

“What do we do now?” Marla asked. “I need to find my sister.”

“Sister? Beth’s alive?” Rick asked Carl surprised.

“Yes, and so is Michonne.” Carl closed his eyes and breathed deep relived to know that his father wasn’t the cause of all this suffering. That people he trusted betrayed him. They would have to have a long talk eventually.

Rick also breathed a sigh of relief trying to contain his emotions. He’s had to be strong for so long that he leaned on Michonne and Carl when it got to be too much. Thinking Michonne had died was devastating and driving his son away made it worse.

“Yeah, but first we gotta get through that.” Daryl said as he pointed to the inner wall and the hundreds of former NCD agents were now shambling out as walkers.

“With this group, I think we can handle it.” Carl spoke as a leader. Daryl loaded another arrow in his bow, Hank cocked his Glock back filling the chamber with another round, and Marla held Judith’s hand as they pulled out their weapons.

“Dad, you’ll need this.” Carl handed Rick the heavy silver Colt Python. Its barrel gleamed in the sunlight.

“You had this? I thought…” Rick asked his son.

“Thought you might want it back someday.” Carl smiled as they looked to the wall and the charging walkers. They readied their weapons, took aim, and began to fire. They were free and they would have to continue to fight for their freedom still but when they made it out of New Charleston they’ll find a new home. One without walls.

The End.

the Walkin Dude

the Walkin Dude

Roamer

• Members

Wow GDM, super like, have been following your story since the beginning. All i can say is outstanding.   Thank you for all your hard work.   Loved it , Thank You.   So many stories get started in this thread but never end.    Great ending, plus you have room for a sequel.    Which I hope you decide to write some day.    I would read it in a heartbeat.

GirlsDeadMonster

GirlsDeadMonster

Biter

• Members
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Thank you so much for your support. I really enjoyed writing this story and reading what you all had to say. On one hand I'm glad this particular chapter came to a conclusion but on the other hand I'm sad to see it end. I loved craving out the characters and their personalities and integrating them into the Walking Dead universe. I will continue the Rock and a Hard Place short stories saga and if you're interested in reading my writing including other stories not set in TWD universe please visit my blog page  http://lolitalynn.blogspot.com/Again, thanks all!!

BitBrit

BitBrit

Survivor

• Members
Just caught up. Interesting ending and as walkin dude said - the chance of a sequel! Great writing. Thanks.

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!