Issue 126 Review

- - - - - Review

Athena Alexandria

Athena Alexandria

Infected

• Members

I also wonder if others saw the smoke by ASZ, it would be kind of cool if another place was close by, and they go to check it out and run into rick and the gang and offer to help build.

Hi everyone. I'm new to these boards, but not to the comic.

This made me think: after all Rick's talk about the end of war and the dawn of a new civilization, wouldn't it be funny if they got back to Alexandria and another group (like the one on the covers) had taken it over? So they had to decide whether or not to go to war again to get their town back...

Seriously, though, I see something like this happening at some point. Maybe not right away, but eventually. As excited as I am about the next arc, it would be naive to think they can live in peace forever.

omegaman

omegaman

Roamer

• Members

Ok so elaborate please how do you feel it is different?

Only difference i see is Ben being a child and the fact Rick wants to set a new "standard" moving away from you kill you die.

A character having one instance of killing someone when in an extraordinary circumstance is interesting. It gives that character something to regret, something to move on from and to grow. I can understand killing Ben and I'm glad Carl showed some remorse after. If Carl had just shot Negan in the head, after Rick and the group talking and agreeing to let him live is not and extraordinary circumstance; it's a serial pattern. Carl can be redeemed from killing Ben. He'd be lost if he then killed Negan in my opinion.

DHeav60

DHeav60

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

I think my first reaction to the end of #126 was similar to many of the views expressed here - I was disappointing that Negan wasn't killed.  After re-reading the issue, and doing some analysis, I think I understand why. 

First off - I'm pretty sure my disappointment comes not just from the fact that Negan didn't die, but I thought I had accurately predicted what would happen (Knife was poisoned, Negan's army falls apart around him, Dwight kills Negan w/ Lucille).  We all know that Negan deserves death - and we all want to see Lucille get a taste of Negan. 

However - I do understand why Kirkman kept Negan alive:

1.  Keeping TWD unpredictable.  Not that it's impossible to correctly predict what will happen... but I think most of us thought that either Negan or Rick would die and that would be the end of the war.  It was hard to imagine the war ending WITHOUT a major death as in what happened in #126. 

2.  Negan is a great character.  Very entertaining, and even if you think The Governor is a better villain - Negan still should get credit for being very fun and interesting.  Keeping him alive gives us the opportunity to A) learn more about his backstory (which we all want to know about), and B- opens the door for great character interaction in the future.  I want to see what Negan's WIVES have to say, now that they are free from his grasp.  It would be great to see a conversation between Sherry and Negan (I think that will be in the works) now that the war is over. 

3.  It actually DOES play into Rick's plan of reconstruction.  

Negan has been cut off from the Saviors, and they don't even know if he survived.  As far as the Saviors are concerned, Negan's rulebook has been thrown out.  Sure - Negan is still dangerous and may try to escape, but I believe that his real power lies in his leadership capacity.  Since he has no one left to lead - his power has been nullified. 

Also, even though Negan will be locked up - he can still be useful.  Despite being a monumental prick - Negan is incredibly smart and has lots of survival information/tactical knowledge that Rick can use... if he can find a way to get to it.

Reavesfilm

Reavesfilm

Infected

• Members
  • LocationLos Angeles

A character having one instance of killing someone when in an extraordinary circumstance is interesting. It gives that character something to regret, something to move on from and to grow. I can understand killing Ben and I'm glad Carl showed some remorse after. If Carl had just shot Negan in the head, after Rick and the group talking and agreeing to let him live is not and extraordinary circumstance; it's a serial pattern. Carl can be redeemed from killing Ben. He'd be lost if he then killed Negan in my opinion.

I have to jump in here and say that maybe we don't WANT Carl to redeem himself, haha He's become the dark side of the group, and he's only a kid... I think that's an awesome storyline.  I WANT Carl to be a ruthless killer (on the side of ASZ) since apparently no one else in the group can do anything anymore, haha

I think my first reaction to the end of #126 was similar to many of the views expressed here - I was disappointing that Negan wasn't killed.  After re-reading the issue, and doing some analysis, I think I understand why. 

First off - I'm pretty sure my disappointment comes not just from the fact that Negan didn't die, but I thought I had accurately predicted what would happen (Knife was poisoned, Negan's army falls apart around him, Dwight kills Negan w/ Lucille).  We all know that Negan deserves death - and we all want to see Lucille get a taste of Negan. 

However - I do understand why Kirkman kept Negan alive:

1.  Keeping TWD unpredictable.  Not that it's impossible to correctly predict what will happen... but I think most of us thought that either Negan or Rick would die and that would be the end of the war.  It was hard to imagine the war ending WITHOUT a major death as in what happened in #126. 

2.  Negan is a great character.  Very entertaining, and even if you think The Governor is a better villain - Negan still should get credit for being very fun and interesting.  Keeping him alive gives us the opportunity to A) learn morearrow-10x10.png about his backstory (which we all want to know about), and B- opens the door for great character interaction in the future.  I want to see what Negan's WIVES have to say, now that they are free from his grasp.  It would be great to see a conversation between Sherry and Negan (I think that will be in the works) now that the war is over. 

3.  It actually DOES play into Rick's plan of reconstruction.  

Negan has been cut off from the Saviors, and they don't even know if he survived.  As far as the Saviors are concerned, Negan's rulebook has been thrown out.  Sure - Negan is still dangerous and may try to escape, but I believe that his real power lies in his leadership capacity.  Since he has no one left to lead - his power has been nullified. 

Also, even though Negan will be locked up - he can still be useful.  Despite being a monumental prick - Negan is incredibly smart and has lots of survival information/tactical knowledge that Rick can use... if he can find a way to get to it.

I really, really like this analysis.  There have been similar ones like this, but I think you hit the nail right on the head.  Negan IS a great character, and yeah, all bad guys die in this comic book... So RK really did throw us for a loop by keeping him alive.  I wouldn't HATE seeing Negan turn good and start helping Rick... Though I don't think we could ever REALLY trust him.  

"I believe in Rick Grimes."

JackStraw

JackStraw

Infected

• Members
Rick went all emo...then slashed Negans throat. You cant plan something like that as a "flesh wound" - carotids way to close. So tell me why the sudden noblesse? How does that wash? if rick really believed what he's now peddling he should have stood there all emo-eyed right up until Lucille split his skull... but for sake of argument, remember negan was seemingly "getting it". again why the vicious throat slash then? or did a mere compound leg fracture change everything? becomes a bit of a plot hole, no?

Negan still needs to die, and i still think rk is gonna do it in 127 after showing us how ricks lapse of reason cost them someone big.

The Walking Shooter

The Walking Shooter

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationJupiter

Hi everyone. I'm new to these boards, but not to the comic.
This made me think: after all Rick's talk about the end of war and the dawn of a new civilization, wouldn't it be funny if they got back to Alexandria and another group (like the one on the covers) had taken it over? So they had to decide whether or not to go to war again to get their town back...
Seriously, though, I see something like this happening at some point. Maybe not right away, but eventually. As excited as I am about the next arc, it would be naive to think they can live in peace forever.

I think at this point Rick would welcome this group into their larger world (if they weren't hostile). He wants to rebuild civilisation, so he needs to trust people more (unless they prove otherwise).

Dead Gov Walking

Dead Gov Walking

Roamer

• Members

Rick went all emo...then slashed Negans throat. You cant plan something like that as a "flesh wound" - carotids way to close. So tell me why the sudden noblesse? How does that wash? if rick really believed what he's now peddling he should have stood there all emo-eyed right up until Lucille split his skull... but for sake of argument, remember negan was seemingly "getting it". again why the vicious throat slash then? or did a mere compound leg fracture change everything? becomes a bit of a plot hole, no?

Negan still needs to die, and i still think rk is gonna do it in 127 after showing us how ricks lapse of reason cost them someone big.

Because Kirkman needed a cliffhanger that'd sucker people into thinking something exciting was going to happen this issue.

JackStraw

JackStraw

Infected

• Members

Nice to see a fellow historian on the pages. :)

likewise and roll crimson tide "call me deacon blue" ...

JackStraw

JackStraw

Infected

• Members

Because Kirkman needed a cliffhanger that'd sucker people into thinking something exciting was going to happen this issue.

Great point and Occam's Razor FTW!

The Walking Shooter

The Walking Shooter

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationJupiter

This is the same world in which you can survive a gunshot that takes out half your face and live with limited consequences, and to be horribly mutilated and survive due to dumb luck and a little slice of Bob Stookey's forty year old healing skills. It doesn't phase me in the least that Negan survived a throat slash haha.

Neganite

Neganite

Biter

• Members
  • LocationNewcastle England

Yea you have to take serious injuries with a pinch of salt in TWD world, I mean I wouldn't have been surprised if Glenn had stood up and been fine after getting his face smashed in.

The Walking Shooter

The Walking Shooter

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationJupiter

Yea you have to take serious injuries with a pinch of salt in TWD world, I mean I wouldn't have been surprised if Glenn had stood up and been fine after getting his face smashed in.

Maggie and Glenn on the Jeremy Kyle show: "My husband had an affair with Lucille. Can I forgive him".

Negan could also be brought in as well as the offer herself, Lucille.

thelastpaul

thelastpaul

Biter

• Members
  • LocationCalifornia

The people that are whining about Rick not killing Negan:

You realize that Rick being a cop in the past may simply believe this to be a much worse punishment for Negans crimes than simply killing him? A lot of people feel that having someone rot in jail/prison until they die miserable, broken, and alone, is much worse than being put to death.

Bit > Lurker > Roamer > Put down by Scott Gimple. Goodbye R&L

The Walking Shooter

The Walking Shooter

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationJupiter

You realize that Rick being a cop in the past may simply believe this to be a much worse punishment for Negans crimes than simply killing him? A lot of people feel that having someone rot in jail/prison until they die miserable, broken, and alone, is much worse than being put to death.

But in this stage of the game Negan could easily break out and kill people. What room are they exactly going to hold him in for this jail.

I do see Rick's point of view though, as much as I disagree with it. He wants a life that is normal, and that normal includes a prison I guess. But Negan is a madman, a dictator if you will. Being put to death is the only punishment that excludes another threat to the survivors.

PorkTornado75

PorkTornado75

Hallelujer! Im STILL Alive!

• Members
  • LocationAlexandria Safe Zone with Spencer`s pool table.

"You kill you die" - Rick Grimes

"I will kill you" - Rick Grimes

"Do not worry Maggie i will get revenge for Glen" - Rick Grimes

"Yeah, let's fuck this dog."

The Walking Shooter

The Walking Shooter

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationJupiter

"You kill you die" - Rick Grimes

Kirkman shouldn't have included this line in the beginning of AOW if he had planned on Negan staying alive. It just makes Rick's development look inconsistent.

Neganite

Neganite

Biter

• Members
  • LocationNewcastle England

Maggie and Glenn on the Jeremy Kyle show: "My husband had an affair with Lucille. Can I forgive him".

Negan could also be brought in as well as the offer herself, Lucille.

'While my daughter and I watched'

Jeremy Kyle should be introduced as the next big bad. He's even more of a monstrous cunt than Negan.

aahe42

aahe42

Lurker

• Members

I personally don't like Negan being alive no matter what the reasons for Kirkman keeping him around. I can't stand lingering imprisoned bad guys that have a chance of escaping likes some comic super hero villain.(although I have a feeling hes going to reform himself)

But one thing I know for sure is that Negan was keeping the Saviors in check I bet there are many rapist, murders and vile people in his group which were kept in line by order, discipline and rules now hes gone. Is Dwight going to be able to establish order and keep all the normal citizens of the Sanctuary safe, keep the women safe from being abused? I think Negan might be used to help keep order. Dwight is strong but it seems like Negan built his empire from the ground up for it to work Dwights just claimed leadership to a broken group of saviors his leadership won't last.

The Walking Shooter

The Walking Shooter

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationJupiter

'While my daughter and I watched'
Jeremy Kyle should be introduced as the next big bad. He's even more of a monstrous cunt than Negan.

Yeah he really exploits the mentally ill I think. And he has no right to go on about other people's problems because he himself is a gambler. Really can't stand the man.

Dead Gov Walking

Dead Gov Walking

Roamer

• Members

Re-reading issue whatever when Carl snuck into Sanctuary. Negan had him take his bandages off.

How fucked would it be if Carl dies from an infection because he did that and never put em back on lol

edit: and this is when I still liked Negan's character. He was still vulgar as hell, but also really intimidating. He didn't treat everything like one big fucking joke

Koibito

Koibito

Biter

• Members
  • LocationIn a Gangsta's Paradise ♪♫

Re-reading issue whatever when Carl snuck into Sanctuary. Negan had him take his bandages off.

How fucked would it be if Carl dies from an infection because he did that and never put em back on lol

edit: and this is when I still liked Negan's character. He was still vulgar as hell, but also really intimidating. He didn't treat everything like one big fucking joke

And now that he doesnt have anythign left, he cant treat everything like that.

That last page....Negan might've just been tired (he did say that he was in and out of it), but his face....his expression had something sad....over it.....Something abit like regret. I think that despite the anger he showed in the fight...the speech hit Negan deep. 

Negan cant and wont be that cocky fucker he was when he led the Saviors now when he is in prison. That'd be ridiculous.

Hopefully Kirkman can make him..a bit more humble. Gentle....more open, and not just brash, and show.

Because the only reason Negan could act intimidating and be the dick that he was...was because he had power. Respect.

Now he aint got nothing.

bd629b0375becac7160e1d2f9cb1fae26e9b1917

The Walking Shooter

The Walking Shooter

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationJupiter

That would be too realistic for this world haha. It would be pretty un expecting if that happened and I doubt too many people will be pleased lol.

CrusherDestroyer

CrusherDestroyer

Infected

• Members
  • LocationEarth

my initial reaction to this issue was utter disappointment. really!? your gonna slash Negan's throat, have him break your leg, and then demand that he be kept alive? talk about turning the other cheek

i really really was hoping for Negan to be killed this issue and have Glenn's death be avenged. however, now that ive had a few days to think on it im starting to come around on the idea of Negan staying in jail. if rick wants to rebuild society and make the world better than it was, hes got to lead by example. and that starts by not giving in to his initial need to kill him.

all in all it opens up a lot of possible future story lines with having him escape/be busted out. also the survivors eventually needing Negan's help down the road would also be interesting.

theblackboxlies

theblackboxlies

Top of the Food Chain

• Members
  • Locationಠ_ರೃ
Im gonna go out on a limb and say It seems like Negan is to Rick as Vegata is to Goku. Especially if he turns a new leaf somehow and helps Rick in the future. Haha.

jbhutto

jbhutto

S-mart Employee

• Members

What Rick mean was, "You kill, you die........inside"

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!