Issue 125 Review

- - - - - review

groovemachine

groovemachine

Infected

• Members

The knife was infected - looked pretty clear to me.  And Rick could've slashed Negan's throat much worse... why didn't he?  He want's Negan and the Saviors to know that Negan is doomed.  That's all part of it.  Do you think the Saviors will continue to follow Negan's orders now that they know he's finished?  Rick's speech was not only meant to distract Negan, but I think he was using it as an opportunity to speak to any Saviors/Hilltop/Kingdom members within earshot (which is pretty much the entire comic cast) and show that he is the one that should be leading things.  Rick doesn't necessarily want all the Saviors to die.  He wants as many defectors as possible to help him rebuild once the war is over. 

This was a great issue.  The infected knife was just icing on the cake.  Truly brilliant and surprising.  Also agree with JM - quite poetic.  Negan will suffer the fate that he wished upon Rick, and dealt to Nicholas. 

This post is the first one to articulate my feelings on what's going on with this issue and what Kirkman is doing.  Rick didn't just turn "evil".  Rick just spoke out loud to all the Saviors letting them hear his perspective on rebuilding vs. Negan's ways of rebuilding.  Rick knows there are plenty of Saviors that have a personal beef with Negan and also knows that multiple Saviors were involved in helping Eugene and crew escape.

Rick smells mutiny in the air if he can just convince them to not fear and see that there can be something better on the other side.  This brings us full circle on the whole "Something to Fear" arc that introduced us to Negan and the Saviors.  So, yeah...  My opinion is that Rick isn't talking to Negan or trying to reason with him.  Rick is distracting and disorienting Negan, but he's really talking to the Saviors and explaining his vision.

I have a feeling rick just sacrificed himself to kill negan. Like the all say no one can get close enough to do it without getting killed. These panels with Andrea and Carl kinda got me on edge.

I believe Rick knows anything could happen when he steps outside to face Negan.  That's why the hug with Andrea and Carl is emotional and why he peps them up with the "we don't die!" line.  I believe Rick would be willing to sacrifice himself, but I don't think he's going out there to die.

If Kirkman really wants to shake things up, then yes...126 should be a bloodbath with both Rick and Negan dead at the end of it.  Then we find the regular folk from the Saviors' camp wander in for 127 wondering why no one came back and hooking up with whoever is left to carry on Rick's vision.  This is the spot for the Euge to take over as leader.

But, I expect that Rick will live and carry on the work himself and that most of the Saviors will be happy to join in the effort to rebuild and grow trade between the communities.  I don't expect to see Negan getting his head bashed in page after page in a retaliatory spirit if Rick is truly trying to demonstrate that he can lead and rebuild civilization.

Chryz707

Chryz707

Lurker

• Members

This post is the first one to articulate my feelings on what's going on with this issue and what Kirkman is doing.  Rick didn't just turn "evil".  Rick just spoke out loud to all the Saviors letting them hear his perspective on rebuilding vs. Negan's ways of rebuilding.  Rick knows there are plenty of Saviors that have a personal beef with Negan and also knows that multiple Saviors were involved in helping Eugene and crew escape.

Rick smells mutiny in the air if he can just convince them to not fear and see that there can be something better on the other side.  This brings us full circle on the whole "Something to Fear" arc that introduced us to Negan and the Saviors.  So, yeah...  My opinion is that Rick isn't talking to Negan or trying to reason with him.  Rick is distracting and disorienting Negan, but he's really talking to the Saviors and explaining his vision.

I believe Rick knows anything could happen when he steps outside to face Negan.  That's why the hug with Andrea and Carl is emotional and why he peps them up with the "we don't die!" line.  I believe Rick would be willing to sacrifice himself, but I don't think he's going out there to die.

If Kirkman really wants to shake things up, then yes...126 should be a bloodbath with both Rick and Negan dead at the end of it.  Then we find the regular folk from the Saviors' camp wander in for 127 wondering why no one came back and hooking up with whoever is left to carry on Rick's vision.  This is the spot for the Euge to take over as leader.

But, I expect that Rick will live and carry on the work himself and that most of the Saviors will be happy to join in the effort to rebuild and grow trade between the communities.  I don't expect to see Negan getting his head bashed in page after page in a retaliatory spirit if Rick is truly trying to demonstrate that he can lead and rebuild civilization.

I couldnt agree more, He had dwight there listening so there must be some truth to it.  I actually thought that Negan might have tried to stab rick the way he did Spencer when Negan was looking like he had the epiphinany.   But I think so far there really hasnt been any real major character deaths...  Lets see what the conclusion brings in 2 weeks...

StarkExpanse

StarkExpanse

Lurker

• Members

To think, all it took was Negan realizing that he's a hoarding leech on these communities instead of an organizer of societal interaction and progress. The system he has in mind isn't bad in principle, except for the utter lack of power the other communities are given and the extreme amount of resources he takes. They clear the zombies out for protection, but who can't protect themselves this far into the ZA? Apparently, he was being too much of a self-absorbed prick to notice. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the first time he's heard that, due to everyone being afraid of him or being forced to respond to his constant douchebaggery. Who has the courage or time to debate to debate with his personality?

That, or he was going to take a nice swing at Rick's skull in the next few moments. That'd Negan for ya.

StarkExpanse

StarkExpanse

Lurker

• Members
One other thing.

I think that Negan, while he doesn't enjoy killing, enjoys violence. And that all kind of gets displaced in Lucille, so he can feel unattached to what he's doing and enjoy the violence without bearing the responsibility of mudering someone himself. It was't him, it was "The Rules" and Lucille. His constant jokes also kinda suggest at how unattached he is to everything around him. Everything is just business or a joke, so it's all okay.

Chryz707

Chryz707

Lurker

• Members

One other thing.

I think that Negan, while he doesn't enjoy killing, enjoys violence. And that all kind of gets displaced in Lucille, so he can feel unattached to what he's doing and enjoy the violence without bearing the responsibility of mudering someone himself. It was't him, it was "The Rules" and Lucille. His constant jokes also kinda suggest at how unattached he is to everything around him. Everything is just business or a joke, so it's all okay.

This is what makes Negan a perfect psychpath!

StarkExpanse

StarkExpanse

Lurker

• Members
Evidently, he has this reality to built in his head where he is justified in whatever horrible things he does to people, because that enables him to create and conflict and commit acts of violence without guilt. He doesn't just enjoy violence, he's drawn to it and his whole system is designed to gratify that urge. "The Rules" are cruel and painful because he likes that. He's a douchebag because he likes it when people bite back. However, different form the Governor, he doesn't consciously indulge it and going out of his way to. The reality in his head tells him he's just doing what he has to, when he's actually only doing what he likes to.

Rick calls attention to this contradiction of his supposed goals and his actions, and utterly rips him for that fact this the war, from hoarding excesses of supplies, murdering innocents and forcing people to live in grief and fear and desperation, and not providing crap in return to boot, in a world where there are very few people left... IS his fault. He deserves all the blame because he could have done everything better the entire time. He's a total, self-absorbed idiot (or subconscious violence-monger, as I see it) that contradicts his own goals.

Everything they have has been screwed up and it's his fault. Not "The Rules", not Lucille, and not necessary sacrifices. It's Negan; a psycho with a barbed baseball bat that's threatening, depriving, and killing everyone for no good reason. Rick forces Negan to face and consider that fact, and that is what humbles him and results in an epiphiny for him. You can tell he's sort of in a frustrated introspection by his face when the conversation kicks off and Rick is digging into him, then he tires to save himself with another "you need me" excuse, and Rick calls him on it again. Then he seems to be accepting of it when Rick offers a new plan, realizing how his won't work. That's my interpretation of the charcter now, anyway.

Also I think he's so concerned and caring for Lucille because it's the psychological tool he uses to retain his sense of innocence.

cactuszach

cactuszach

Infected

• Members

And he fulfilled it. Regardless of whether or not Negan dies immediately from the wound, he's out. Should Rick have waited for Negan to have a "cooler" death? Hell no. He had a chance and he took it. I don't think Maggie will have any complaints

This hits the nail on the head for me. Rick didn't take chances here like he did with The Gov. He had a chance to end it and he took it. Quite villainous of Rick indeed, but how many times has a situation come up in comics, movies, tv, etc where they can take the bad guy out but they don't? That's unrealistic to me. Rick took a chance to finish this.

I will say though I expect a "Carl just lost an eye and not half his face" type moment here. Im sure Negan just got scratched and his real death will be next issue. In looking at the art again there isn't a clearly drawn wound.

PorkTornado75

PorkTornado75

Hallelujer! Im STILL Alive!

• Members
  • LocationAlexandria Safe Zone with Spencer`s pool table.
Whoever said the covers happen in the comic is just wrong. Andrea is on the cover holding a sniper rifle that never happens in the comic.

"Yeah, let's fuck this dog."

westerman13

westerman13

Infected

• Members
  • LocationEast Texas

The knife Rick used is not serrated, but it does look like it's covered in some gunk. Negan's blood is at the top and there's some other gunk at the bottom, but who knows.

FearTheHunters

FearTheHunters

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationOn my way to Canada

for a split second I thought they were heading down an inoculation route, so I was a little happy when he bite it. But there is a definite lack if stash now...and if rick lives I bet he shaves soon.

funny how that's kind of a big deal to readers haha

Sunshine

Sunshine

Infected

• Members

Evidently, he has this reality to built in his head where he is justified in whatever horrible things he does to people, because that enables him to create and conflict and commit acts of violence without guilt. He doesn't just enjoy violence, he's drawn to it and his whole system is designed to gratify that urge. "The Rules" are cruel and painful because he likes that. He's a douchebag because he likes it when people bite back. However, different form the Governor, he doesn't consciously indulge it and going out of his way to. The reality in his head tells him he's just doing what he has to, when he's actually only doing what he likes to.

Rick calls attention to this contradiction of his supposed goals and his actions, and utterly rips him for that fact this the war, from hoarding excesses of supplies, murdering innocents and forcing people to live in grief and fear and desperation, and not providing crap in return to boot, in a world where there are very few people left... IS his fault. He deserves all the blame because he could have done everything better the entire time. He's a total, self-absorbed idiot (or subconscious violence-monger, as I see it) that contradicts his own goals.

Everything they have has been screwed up and it's his fault. Not "The Rules", not Lucille, and not necessary sacrifices. It's Negan; a psycho with a barbed baseball bat that's threatening, depriving, and killing everyone for no good reason. Rick forces Negan to face and consider that fact, and that is what humbles him and results in an epiphiny for him. You can tell he's sort of in a frustrated introspection by his face when the conversation kicks off and Rick is digging into him, then he tires to save himself with another "you need me" excuse, and Rick calls him on it again. Then he seems to be accepting of it when Rick offers a new plan, realizing how his won't work. That's my interpretation of the charcter now, anyway.

Also I think he's so concerned and caring for Lucille because it's the psychological tool he uses to retain his sense of innocence.

I meant to UP vote your comment but my stupid iPad caused it to down vote...it won't let me undo it, sorry! I agree and love what you said.

FearTheHunters

FearTheHunters

Roamer

• Members

as soon as i saw the panel where rick takes a step toward negan, i knew he was getting stabbed. it looks almost exactly like the scene where rick stabs shane in the show. talking him down, trying to reason with him, just long enough to get close enough for the kill

FearTheHunters

FearTheHunters

Roamer

• Members

I have a feeling rick just sacrificed himself to kill negan. Like the all say no one can get close enough to do it without getting killed. These panels with Andrea and Carl kinda got me on edge.

good point, there was also the line a couple issues ago where rick told ezekiel something to the effect of: "there won't be any need for a grand sacrifice, at least not yet", maybe he saw it as now being at that point.

jbhutto

jbhutto

S-mart Employee

• Members

Negan's just a big ol' kid in the ZA Sandbox, Rick is a jerk.

westerman13

westerman13

Infected

• Members
  • LocationEast Texas
It may or may not be the same knife, but they did say the saviors did leave quite a few weapons that were gunked up! I am almost certain (99.9%) that Rick's knife had to be purposely tainted! He saw what it does & he definitely had a plan when he went out to talk with Negan. And there's also a possibility that several deserving people might get their swing of Lucille on Negan! It did take 2-3 hits before Glenn was gone! Then Dwight pissing on his dead body at the end! LOL! You never know! Two more weeks we'll find out!

Carliskindofcool

Carliskindofcool

Infected

• Members
IMO its the knife Jesus and michonne found i sat there comparing the knives last night but in 125 its kinda poorly drawn but you see its serrated with black handle and the same shape..i mean why wouldn't he grab the exact knife they left why would he not use something contaminated long after learning about the saviors doing it.. Also i cant find it to quote it but someone mentioned the blacksmith and what he might be working on this was a great catch cause didn't rick say he could make all kinds of useful things and then in the middle of a war this guys just at work? Whoever this was i completely agree!! Maybe the April fools 129 cover wasnt to much of a trick maybe it showed they might take ideas from the show i.e Merle dixons arm piece wich to me bumps rick up a few tough points

I_Follow_You_Axel

I_Follow_You_Axel

You Follow Me?

• Moderators
  • LocationWhere Dave Met Tony

Isn't that knife the mucked-up one that Jesus and Michonne found? 

Pretty sure Negan's screwed no matter how deep Rick cut into him.

It's pretty obvious that it's the infected knife. When I said "Negan's not dead," I meant "Negan's not dead yet." He'll live long enough to realize that he's going to die within a day, He'll live long enough to see many of his men turn on him when they realize he's a goner. And he'll live long enough to turn, when Maggie is able to bash his skull in with Lucille.

"I ain't walking out to the woods to get my pecker bit off by a roamer, you follow me?"
- Axel (Who else, really?)

DHeav60

DHeav60

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

It's pretty obvious that it's the infected knife. When I said "Negan's not dead," I meant "Negan's not dead yet." He'll live long enough to realize that he's going to die within a day, He'll live long enough to see many of his men turn on him when they realize he's a goner. And he'll live long enough to turn, when Maggie Dwight is able to bash his skull in with Lucille.

I agree with everything except the last part, which I fixed  :)

Kursk

Kursk

S-mart Employee

• Members
Negan does have traces of a child-like bully nature but he's also a murderer and oppressive tyrant. A few stray comments comparing this to the Gov death no, this is much better. Now we get to see Negan die the same degrading humiliating death he gave Nicholas. I bet he'll bust out crying and such.

Z-murdock

Z-murdock

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationMI

"we don't die"

back in 113 I took that line as cheesy and cringe worthy. within the pages of this latest installment I have chose to take it a much different way. its perfect, and sends chills down my spine...

great issue, proving kirkman is back on his game with the story and realisticness we haven't seen since volumes 1-11 in my opinion...

GREAT!

agrassfedcomic.com

gypsyrose

gypsyrose

Biter

• Members
  • LocationHolly's room

bvbu :2206_mourning_over_dead_friend:  :smiley-confused002:  :zombie02:  :reganani:  :capt:  :rabbit:  :rabbit:  :rabbit:  :jasonani:  :otis:  :zombietongueout:  :angelkitty:  :whip2:

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

• Members

Whoever said the covers happen in the comic is just wrong. Andrea is on the cover holding a sniper rifle that never happens in the comic.

-The majority of times the cover is correct

-Everything else on the cover was correct. Would Andrea holding a sniper rifle for one panel really add anything to the issue?

-The covers for All Out War are more like posters anyway

-These covers were made long before the issues were fully written, so stuff got moved around a lot. It's possible part of the next issue was originally part of this one

Imagine a group of a hundred motorcycles driving down a freeway. Eventually, they hit a junction. One road goes northwest and the other goes northeast. So one guy, we'll call him S, says, "Let's go northwest!" A mile past the intersection, a semi careens into the group and kills ninety of them. Ten are wounded, but they survive and keep going. Eventually, they hit 10,000 miles. S suddenly has his consciousness thrown into his past body right before the junction. Now, he says, "Let's go northeast!" All 100 bikers survive. Happily ever after, right? But what about the ten, no nine, who went northwest and survived? What happens to the reality they were living? Does it just disappear now that S has changed the past? It's not like only bad things happened on that 10,000 mile journey. Maybe one of them fell in love with a gas station attendant and got her pregnant or maybe one adopted a homeless kid that joined the adventure. That 10,000 mile journey would be full of stories. Romances, farewells, friendships...the loss of those ninety lives is horrible and unfortunate, but what would rewriting their history mean? The nine who survived lived full lives and did the best they could with the hand they were dealt. How could it be right to just erase all that? Isn't that worth something? Is there a point to a world where everything is happy? Are people who struggle for a better life just idiots? Being human is about fighting even when it seems hopeless and finding happiness in a world that hates it. Are you saying that's worthless?

Euron

Euron

Infected

• Members

It would be really, really amazing if Rick's speech actually reached through to Negan, it would make the entire AoW arc so much more rewarding if all this time he was willing to change  We may never know, though, but there's nobody whose backstory I want to see more than his, as it could reveal so much about his character... Negan may have just been a reasonable man after all.

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

• Members

It would be really, really amazing if Rick's speech actually reached through to Negan, it would make the entire AoW arc so much more rewarding if all this time he was willing to change  We may never know, though, but there's nobody whose backstory I want to see more than his, as it could reveal so much about his character... Negan may have just been a reasonable man after all.

That's what I want to believe

Imagine a group of a hundred motorcycles driving down a freeway. Eventually, they hit a junction. One road goes northwest and the other goes northeast. So one guy, we'll call him S, says, "Let's go northwest!" A mile past the intersection, a semi careens into the group and kills ninety of them. Ten are wounded, but they survive and keep going. Eventually, they hit 10,000 miles. S suddenly has his consciousness thrown into his past body right before the junction. Now, he says, "Let's go northeast!" All 100 bikers survive. Happily ever after, right? But what about the ten, no nine, who went northwest and survived? What happens to the reality they were living? Does it just disappear now that S has changed the past? It's not like only bad things happened on that 10,000 mile journey. Maybe one of them fell in love with a gas station attendant and got her pregnant or maybe one adopted a homeless kid that joined the adventure. That 10,000 mile journey would be full of stories. Romances, farewells, friendships...the loss of those ninety lives is horrible and unfortunate, but what would rewriting their history mean? The nine who survived lived full lives and did the best they could with the hand they were dealt. How could it be right to just erase all that? Isn't that worth something? Is there a point to a world where everything is happy? Are people who struggle for a better life just idiots? Being human is about fighting even when it seems hopeless and finding happiness in a world that hates it. Are you saying that's worthless?

PorkTornado75

PorkTornado75

• Members
  • LocationAlexandria Safe Zone with Spencer`s pool table.
Yea Negan is such a reasonable guy.......just forget if he irons your face off while he bangs your wife.

"Yeah, let's fuck this dog."

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!