Issue 125 Review

- - - - - review

CarlsRightEye

CarlsRightEye

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationVancouver
Id like to believe Negan was bating Rick by feigning belief in his new world vision, but that spread with Negan saying just "Fuck.", leads me to believe Negan was honestly having an epiphany. I wouldn't go as far as to say Rick has outright become the villain now, theres just no way after all this that Negan and Rick would ever actually work together so one of them, or both by the end of this, had to go. What was it Negan was saying in 124 or 123? "Every drop of blood gets us closer to putting this nasty business behind us." Presumably getting back on track to reforming civilization? I mean, thats what the past 30 plus issues have been dealing with. But to me it seems its already back on track... humans have been starting wars and killing eachother over land for... well, ever.
"Can a man still be brave if he's afraid?" – Bran Stark
"That is the only time a man can be brave." – Eddard Stark

Carliskindofcool

Carliskindofcool

Infected

• Members

The ending could also be a sort of ironic callback to a line Negan said to Rick way way back.

Spoiler

I thought of this issue also,glad you put it up,i think this is exactly how it goes.. Going into the ending of this story arc i was convinced rick wouldn't die,that he would win and build an insane fortress and unite a strong community then after a couple years would come the next group that would kill rick immediately and Carl could then avenge his father and a new story begins.. But how do you top negan, the governor was a great first villain a guy who was just that,a guy who survived in the appocolypse..rose to power and started trippin..power trippin haha.does everything he can to overtake the prison only to destroy it and also be killed and lose what was left of his community.. Enter the hunters( maybe my favorite story) a quick villainous group that rick destroys becoming a hardened leader realizing its ok to be ruthless. Then negan,the guy that brings rick back down to earth the guy that truly is better than rick(IMO) negan is/was 'something to fear' how do you top it,what can a new villain do that hasn't been done,how can we be shocked again,made to beleive there is no hope for these survivors..regardless of the 127 and 128 cover and there ''new begining'' all i can picture is a group finding a lone survivor Carl next to a dead rick amidst a battlefield of dead bodies,and they leave and something new starts and i really just cant even imagine what's next..i think this ending was great i thought i had a pulse on the books( haha pulse) all in all im excited for April 23rd :)

moop420

moop420

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationInside Andrea's Short Shorts

I have to say that everything that happened from the point where Negan showed up to call for the Hilltop's surrender to the end is among my favorite sequences in the whole TWD series. I thought there was a lot of tension and that it wasn't anticlimactic at all.

Loved the whole Rick/Negan conversation and I believe that Negan was genuine when he said to Rick "I've had it all wrong." And it was consistent with Negan's character. Being a villain I was always uncertain if he was telling the truth but Negan had me convinced at the end.

But Rick made the right move. Even if Negan was being honest he and Rick could never trust each other. Negan had to go regardless.

I was even sad to see Nicholas go.

DaneBramage

DaneBramage

Biter

• Members
  • Location16 National Championships NCAA Div I Football

It's a bad ink job on the serration Leela. I think it's supposed to look like the mucked-up K-Bar that Jesus showed Rick. ;)

"(When/If) You come at the King, you best not miss"- Omar Little

HolySock

HolySock

Infected

• Members

There is nothing more official than wiki.

You misunderstand. The only evidence that this is the same knife is that one page. It looks similar but we cannot 100% confirm. So if it's on the wiki it means nothing more than someone felt like updating the wiki at put up that information based on that page as their evidence.

The wiki is a thoroughly sourced resource but it's not an official resource. I mean, the wiki said this issue would have at least 8 extra pages but it was the same length as any other issue.

PorkTornado75

PorkTornado75

Hallelujer! Im STILL Alive!

• Members
  • LocationAlexandria Safe Zone with Spencer`s pool table.

Wikis have to be the most unreliable resource there is .......... i can log in an change anything on that site not the best place for the most accurate information. 

They also are notorious for posting things before they are know as fact.

"Yeah, let's fuck this dog."

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

• Members
It would be really cruel irony if the knife slashed Negan's vocal cords and he can't say, "fuck" anymore

Imagine a group of a hundred motorcycles driving down a freeway. Eventually, they hit a junction. One road goes northwest and the other goes northeast. So one guy, we'll call him S, says, "Let's go northwest!" A mile past the intersection, a semi careens into the group and kills ninety of them. Ten are wounded, but they survive and keep going. Eventually, they hit 10,000 miles. S suddenly has his consciousness thrown into his past body right before the junction. Now, he says, "Let's go northeast!" All 100 bikers survive. Happily ever after, right? But what about the ten, no nine, who went northwest and survived? What happens to the reality they were living? Does it just disappear now that S has changed the past? It's not like only bad things happened on that 10,000 mile journey. Maybe one of them fell in love with a gas station attendant and got her pregnant or maybe one adopted a homeless kid that joined the adventure. That 10,000 mile journey would be full of stories. Romances, farewells, friendships...the loss of those ninety lives is horrible and unfortunate, but what would rewriting their history mean? The nine who survived lived full lives and did the best they could with the hand they were dealt. How could it be right to just erase all that? Isn't that worth something? Is there a point to a world where everything is happy? Are people who struggle for a better life just idiots? Being human is about fighting even when it seems hopeless and finding happiness in a world that hates it. Are you saying that's worthless?

samus88

samus88

Lurker

• Members

I absolutely loved Rick and Negan's exchange. But the highlights of the issue were the minor things. "This escalated quickly", "Let me put this in words you'll understand. Fuck you" and Negan's instant comment to Dwight when RIck showed up were hilarious.

Shiva

Shiva

Infected

• Members
This ending reminded me of the HP Deathly hollows ending. Voldemort showed up thinking the main character was dead, demanded their surrender, but then BOOM! Main character is actually alive and then kills the villain

badass316

badass316

Infected

• Members

Uhhh... I thought this was supposed to be a 30 page issue. I counted 22... I honestly didn't like the ending, especially the way Negan seemingly flipped his whole character. I think Fat Jesus fucked up on this one. 

Edocil

Edocil

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationGreendale

You misunderstand. The only evidence that this is the same knife is that one page. It looks similar but we cannot 100% confirm. So if it's on the wiki it means nothing more than someone felt like updating the wiki at put up that information based on that page as their evidence.

The wiki is a thoroughly sourced resource but it's not an official resource. I mean, the wiki said this issue would have at least 8 extra pages but it was the same length as any other issue.

you misunderstand... that wasn't sarcasm at all.

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

• Members

Uhhh... I thought this was supposed to be a 30 page issue. I counted 22... I honestly didn't like the ending, especially the way Negan seemingly flipped his whole character. I think Fat Jesus fucked up on this one. 

Am I Fat Jesus?

Imagine a group of a hundred motorcycles driving down a freeway. Eventually, they hit a junction. One road goes northwest and the other goes northeast. So one guy, we'll call him S, says, "Let's go northwest!" A mile past the intersection, a semi careens into the group and kills ninety of them. Ten are wounded, but they survive and keep going. Eventually, they hit 10,000 miles. S suddenly has his consciousness thrown into his past body right before the junction. Now, he says, "Let's go northeast!" All 100 bikers survive. Happily ever after, right? But what about the ten, no nine, who went northwest and survived? What happens to the reality they were living? Does it just disappear now that S has changed the past? It's not like only bad things happened on that 10,000 mile journey. Maybe one of them fell in love with a gas station attendant and got her pregnant or maybe one adopted a homeless kid that joined the adventure. That 10,000 mile journey would be full of stories. Romances, farewells, friendships...the loss of those ninety lives is horrible and unfortunate, but what would rewriting their history mean? The nine who survived lived full lives and did the best they could with the hand they were dealt. How could it be right to just erase all that? Isn't that worth something? Is there a point to a world where everything is happy? Are people who struggle for a better life just idiots? Being human is about fighting even when it seems hopeless and finding happiness in a world that hates it. Are you saying that's worthless?

badass316

badass316

Infected

• Members

Am I Fat Jesus?

No,sorry. Fat Jesus would be Kirkman. 

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

• Members

Best part of the issue....?

The Rick, Carl, Andrea group hug. FUCK YEAH!

Also, fuck Rick for not being more relieved or happy that Eugene made it back alive. The Eugene being willing to blow his brains out to protect the group? Fucking A...this guy is my hero. If Rosie doesn't hop on his PorterStick, I'm going to lose my shit.

I think there's a nice contrast between Rick and Eugene. During No Way Out, Rick left all of his friends in ASZ (though he did say he'd get them back later...). Eugene left no man behind

badass316

badass316

Infected

• Members

Am I the only one who thinks Negan was full of shit?

They were both full of shit, but Rick drew first. 

Agreed. That's the only way it makes sense. I honestly don't buy Negan's psychotic ass to suddenly pull a 180. 

8-Ball

8-Ball

Lurker

• Members

just finished reading 125. good issue. i was a little confused by negan letting his guard down, but like other posters stated, it makes sense. Negan wants the communities to coexist because it means more supplies for him. He's only told rick a million times he doesn't want to have to kill him.

Can't wait for the last issue. I hope that blade rick cut negan with has the zombie gunk on it. maybe after negan turns rick will let maggie get a couple cracks in with lucille.

mokie

mokie

Infected

• Members

I stand firm that i liked the issue alot, as a long time reader and not someone who just read through #125 issues since the TV Show stopped airing season 4, I thought it was cool how some things came together from the past to present yet again in the story, some of you are already talking about these subjects: this is just my .02!

1. )

How Rick KEPT his promise

( Issue #100 - Post - Glens Ultimate Fuckin' Brain Bash Party! )

Spoiler

2) for all you gore-fiends, i mean this issue seems like a leadup to what would be the wrestlemania of walking dead human fights!

NO tanks, NO prison to hide behind, just all out war-fare outside hilltop in the forest!

(and i think the saviors may have a few tricks up their sleeves too, remember negan always has additional groups hiding out in the forest, and they were the most difficult task to plan for tactically SEE ISSUE #112!)

3) THE KNIFE IS INFECTED (?)

I think it is.

Look closely and compare.

It is vague as it should be....but come on since when does Rick carry a serrated knife longer than the width of his hand commonly?

Coincidence or usual Adlard similarities?

As a HUGE Negan fan i think he was just letting Rick play his hand out and probably didn't expect rick to have that in him

I think the knife is infected and we will see a slightly cut, but TICKING TIME BOMB NEGAN in #126 and that sounds f*cking amazing!

One last thing for the TV viewers who turned to the comic after the fact,

How has NOBODY CAUGHT THIS RESEMBLANCE?!

https://www.youtube....iJH6400UQ#t=193

moop420

moop420

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationInside Andrea's Short Shorts

Personally I think the Saviors die with Negan. A few true-believers like Mop Top might fight on but I think it has also been made very clear that a large portion of Negan's people aren't thrilled with his rule.

I'm still going with Jesus as the surprise death in 126.

Dead Gov Walking

Dead Gov Walking

Roamer

• Members

I'm still going with Jesus as the surprise death in 126.

Don't get my hopes up

jbhutto

jbhutto

S-mart Employee

• Members

I dunno why people feel like that, tbh.  Others have laid it out but basically:

1) Negan killing Glenn was purely retaliation for Rick killing his men.

2) He wasn't really killing anyone unless they went against his rules.

3) Had Gregory stabbed, cause y'know, Gregory is a douche.

4) Gutted Spencer because he was attempting to backstab Rick.

5) Let Carl off the hook even after Carl killed a handful of Saviors. 

6) Paraphrasing here but Jesus said "He has weird rules but he can be reasoned with" (a cue Rick never picked up on, er maybe he did and used it against Negan)

7) Stopped that bald guy from raping Holly (okay so he zombified her soon after, but I think he still gets some points here)

deathraygun

deathraygun

Infected

• Members
  • LocationAustin, TX

I have to agree with Leela, and others - I just don't believe the whole Negan realizing the error of his ways that quickly.  And I think it's a possibility that Negan lives until the next issue.  I mean, all it took was Rick talking to him and for him to let his guard down and a knife to the neck?  Dwight could've pulled that shit off a long time ago.  I guess I find it hard to digest that this was "it".  I wanted Rick's revenge for the killing of Glenn to be a bit more epic and brutal.

Fire walk with me.

Nick_FM

Nick_FM

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationU.S.A.

I don't think Negan was going to accept any truce, Rick just stabbed him before Negan had the chance to do it to him first.

If some psychotic tyrant was forcing me to give him half of my scarce supplies in an apocalyptic world under threats of violence, I'd want him out of the way too. I got a full boner when I saw Rick slice Negan.

DHeav60

DHeav60

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

If it really is infected, this is really ridiculously stupid on Rick's part

"HAHA TASTE OF YOUR OWN MEDICINE! NOW YOU'RE GONNA DIE LATER! AND I'M most likely going to get gunned down immediately, leaving my son without any family and my people without a leader. Probably gonna get a lot of people killed by doing this, too BUT WHATEVER! REVENGE! THIS PLAN IS FLAWLESS"

The knife was infected - looked pretty clear to me.  And Rick could've slashed Negan's throat much worse... why didn't he?  He want's Negan and the Saviors to know that Negan is doomed.  That's all part of it.  Do you think the Saviors will continue to follow Negan's orders now that they know he's finished?  Rick's speech was not only meant to distract Negan, but I think he was using it as an opportunity to speak to any Saviors/Hilltop/Kingdom members within earshot (which is pretty much the entire comic cast) and show that he is the one that should be leading things.  Rick doesn't necessarily want all the Saviors to die.  He wants as many defectors as possible to help him rebuild once the war is over. 

This was a great issue.  The infected knife was just icing on the cake.  Truly brilliant and surprising.  Also agree with JM - quite poetic.  Negan will suffer the fate that he wished upon Rick, and dealt to Nicholas. 

jbhutto

jbhutto

S-mart Employee

• Members

I have to agree with Leela, and others - I just don't believe the whole Negan realizing the error of his ways that quickly.  And I think it's a possibility that Negan lives until the next issue.  I mean, all it took was Rick talking to him and for him to let his guard down and a knife to the neck?  Dwight could've pulled that shit off a long time ago.  I guess I find it hard to digest that this was "it".  I wanted Rick's revenge for the killing of Glenn to be a bit more epic and brutal.

Spoilers maybe but didn't someone say that everything that is shown on the 126 issue cover actually happens / is in the issue?  So yeah, it looked sort of bad but I don't think that's the case.

Duffy Duck

Duffy Duck

Biter

• Members
  • Location413
I have a feeling rick just sacrificed himself to kill negan. Like the all say no one can get close enough to do it without getting killed. These panels with Andrea and Carl kinda got me on edge.

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!