Five Symbolic Things That Rick Did During S-4

- - - - - Rick Carol Governor Pigs Carl Symbolism

DeadCave

DeadCave

Resident Scribe

• *Members*
  • LocationUtah

This article is an interesting read. Worth discussing I think. Symbolism is rife among the zombie genre. Romero used it to great effect with his Dead series. Our gluttonous consumerism, greed, selfishness and sense of self-preservation comes to play during these and other zombie flicks/shows. The Walking Dead apparently is no exception. Kirkman recognizes the undertones of the whole survival affair. 

These examples are directly from the article but I have my own thoughts. Love to see what others think as well. 

1. Rick plants seeds: Get it? SeedsHe was putting down roots, actual roots, in the hopes of his small seeds sprouting into something bigger: A peaceful civilization behind the prison walls. Hey, Carl even started raising pigs for food. This is going great!

The metaphor of seeds is widely spread throughout literature and does promise new growth, hope and life. Hershel working to get Rick to understand and appreciate that (evident from the flashbacks at the season finale). 

2. Rick kills the pigs: Oof. The pigs were part of Rick's grand plan for creating a new, autonomous society. But Rick and friends also discovered one of the drawbacks of close quarters when a virus swept through the prison. Rick blames the pigs, and has to kill them, one at a time, sullenly.Because he is also killing his dream.

Graduates of Mr. Bland's ninth-grade English class at Dodson Junior High — hi, Mr. Bland! — will recall that killing the pig in “Lord of the Flies” represented a descent into savagery. For Rick, it's a little more complicated. The pig-killing is part of a one-step-up, two-steps-back attempt to climb out of savage desperation.

This (and other) point(s) makes me wonder if the author actually watched the show. The pigs are symbolic in the representation of the health of the community. It also is a metaphor for wealth. However when the walkers were "storming the fences" Rick had realized that sacrificing the pigs by wounding them so that they'll draw the walkers away from the fence, giving them enough time to effect repairs or shoring the fence up. Yes, they were likely the cause of the flu but it wasn't THE reason for Rick killing them, only part of the reason. 
This likely is a catalyst for Rick's descent back into savagery (remember Tomas). At least he's a (self) controlled savage and still holds on to his morality... to an extent. 

3. Rick finds bullets in the garden. Violence will also intrude on domesticity in the world of “The Walking Dead.” This was probably the most subtly effective scene of the season.

This is another point that makes me wonder if the author had watched the show as closely as authors of these types of articles should. After the Governor's (first) attack, is when Rick went full out farmer and was hoeing the ground to plant new seeds. He discovered a GUN (a 1911 .45 cal. The same one that he switched out his Python for at the finale), not bullets. Perhaps there were bullets IN the gun but not apart from them. Or maybe I need to watch it again. But I definitely recall the mud/dirt encrusted gun. 

4. Rick shows Carl how to set a trap. This was another case of very nice, effective foreshadowing. Rick shows Carl how to catch a rabbit for meat. Later in the episode, the Terminus gang uses almost exactly the same technique on Rick and Carl, along with almost everyone else in the cast.

Yeah that symbolism wasn't lost on anyone I think. But hopefully it'll teach Carl how to do the same thing with marauders, hunters and groups like Joe's. 

5. Rick bites Claimer Joe in the neckRick borrows a page of the zombies to protect his son and Michonne. Mr. Bland would have loved this one: Man's inhumanity to man, descent into savagery, the living become the dead, etc. This was the most very heavy-handed symbolism of the season, but it worked.

Thus the infamous comic quote: (spoiler??) "We are the walking dead!" 

It goes on to ask what other meaningful symbols the show has represented. I can only think of a couple at this moment but I'm sure others (here) would be able to point out some subtle and glaring points. 

Killing Lizzy I think brings Carol full circle with the loss of her daughter Sophia. Her self-percieved idea that she failed to protect Sophia from harm and then with Mika's murder and now executing Lizzy which constitutes another failure on her part as a mother. 

69% of the people find something dirty in everything they read.  http://http://www.gofundme.com/c66cv4

ZedHead

ZedHead

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationStill waiting on a bus.
I know this is a little off topic, but the pigs reminded me of the sickness that took most of the prison extras. Would the prison have won the fight if they didn't lose so many before the governor attack?

Officer_Friendly

Officer_Friendly

Roamer

• Members

I know this is a little off topic, but the pigs reminded me of the sickness that took most of the prison extras. Would the prison have won the fight if they didn't lose so many before the governor attack?

Probably not due to the fact that The Governor had a tank. Once the prison fences went down, it was all over.

slimymeteor

slimymeteor

Biter

• Members
  • LocationOhio

Probably not due to the fact that The Governor had a tank. Once the prison fences went down, it was all over.

I think you're right.  If the Governor's militia started losing the battle, they'd have taken down the fences anyway.

Mac Tire

Mac Tire

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationTownsville, Queensland, Australia.

There was the fairly obvious burning of the house that represented Daryl's past, and flipping off the burning wreckage.

I think Carl eating the pudding could be construed as symbolic, as well. Were it any other food, it probably wouldn't have this symbology, but it was a food representing a treat, or a food that's meant for enjoyment, not sustenance, and given that Carl was attempting to emancipate himself in a way from his father, the pudding could represent the sweet taste of freedom that doesn't really last very long and sours soon after when you realize what that 'freedom' consists of. Once he thought Rick was a walker, he gave up. He didn't need Rick to survive, but he couldn't survive without him.

"Honour comes easy when there is no cost to duty."

DeadCave

DeadCave

Resident Scribe

• *Members*
  • LocationUtah

There was the fairly obvious burning of the house that represented Daryl's past, and flipping off the burning wreckage.

I think Carl eating the pudding could be construed as symbolic, as well. Were it any other food, it probably wouldn't have this symbology, but it was a food representing a treat, or a food that's meant for enjoyment, not sustenance, and given that Carl was attempting to emancipate himself in a way from his father, the pudding could represent the sweet taste of freedom that doesn't really last very long and sours soon after when you realize what that 'freedom' consists of. Once he thought Rick was a walker, he gave up. He didn't need Rick to survive, but he couldn't survive without him.

Excellent. It's also that bit of show of rebellion that no self-respecting parent would allow their kid to scarf down 116 ounces of pudding at once. That indulgence that rebellion brings and it being out in the open, and "out of reach" of the parental hand. 

69% of the people find something dirty in everything they read.  http://http://www.gofundme.com/c66cv4

DeadCave

DeadCave

Resident Scribe

• *Members*
  • LocationUtah

Oh and the tank talk isn't exactly derailment but it's a great topic and deserves one of it's own. A great defense and counter attack discussion. Sort of a what if? 

Crazy town wonderer

Crazy town wonderer

Infected

• Members
Did notice how when they had the pigs rick said to not name them as so not to be attached when they use them for food.

Gareth called rick, Daryl and micchone the leader the bowman and the samurai. Are they to meet the same fate as the pigs would have?

Lurwalker

Lurwalker

Biter

• Members
  • LocationLouisiana
Symbolism of Carol's speech to Rick in the house when they were looking for drugs when prison peeps were sick. She told him you can be a farmer but you Can't just be a farmer. Even though Rick was helping save his sanity, his son, plant roots and begin sustaining life at the prison, he was choosing to ignore the rest of life evolving around the community at the prison. He should've been on the counsel and helped lead in security issues to protect what they were creating. By ignoring it you are almost inviting the one thing in to destroy it.

Corvus1970

Corvus1970

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Excellent. It's also that bit of show of rebellion that no self-respecting parent would allow their kid to scarf down 116 ounces of pudding at once. That indulgence that rebellion brings and it being out in the open, and "out of reach" of the parental hand. 

You are SO off base here!

It was 112 ounces of pudding, not 116! ;) *runs away cackling*

DeadCave

DeadCave

Resident Scribe

• *Members*
  • LocationUtah

You are SO off base here!

It was 112 ounces of pudding, not 116! ;) *runs away cackling*

I hang my head in shame and turn in my Walking Dead fan club membership card to be ripped to pieces and burnt to ashes. 

Damn, I suck at this.

michaelmyers

michaelmyers

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationLouisville Ky

The 112 ounce pudding was symbolic indeed................ they should be looking for a Sam's club or Costco. Bigger is better in the zombie apocalypse.

Corvus1970

Corvus1970

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

I hang my head in shame and turn in my Walking Dead fan club membership card to be ripped to pieces and burnt to ashes. 

Damn, I suck at this.

I love it when I'm being a goof, and people go along. You're alright in my book, DeadCave! :D

DominusPisces

DominusPisces

Biter

• Members
  • LocationFlorida
The most obvious one. The chess piece when 'Brian' was teaching Penny 2.0.

You can loose allot of soldiers but still win the game.

He lost his knights, rooks and bishops, but he was able to drum up a few pawns and a queen (Tank) and fight to a draw.

Even though he and his new group died, he still forced Rick out. ( In effect... he didn't lose, nor did he force Rick into Check. He forced Rick into a position that no matter what move he made, he put himself in check, and thus forced a draw. )

Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray thee Lord these bites aren't deep.
Should I die before I wake, I pray thee Lord, my skull they break.

DeadCave

DeadCave

Resident Scribe

• *Members*
  • LocationUtah

The most obvious one. The chess piece when 'Brian' was teaching Penny 2.0.

You can loose allot of soldiers but still win the game.

He lost his knights, rooks and bishops, but he was able to drum up a few pawns and a queen (Tank) and fight to a draw.

Even though he and his new group died, he still forced Rick out. ( In effect... he didn't lose, nor did he force Rick into Check. He forced Rick into a position that no matter what move he made, he put himself in check, and thus forced a draw. )

Very nicely done. Good symbolism there. It was indeed a chess match between Rick and the Gov. Apparently however the object of the game is to "capture/kill" the king. Michonne being the "white queen" killed the Governor, I say white because her Katana is wrapped in white leather along with the scabbard. His own piece finished him off is irrelevant because Phillip/Brian/Governor was dead anyway with that sword thrust through the chest. 
I'll argue that the tank was more like the Rook/Castle because of it's power and straight line movements. 

DominusPisces

DominusPisces

Biter

• Members
  • LocationFlorida

Very nicely done. Good symbolism there. It was indeed a chess match between Rick and the Gov. Apparently however the object of the game is to "capture/kill" the king. Michonne being the "white queen" killed the Governor, I say white because her Katana is wrapped in white leather along with the scabbard. His own piece finished him off is irrelevant because Phillip/Brian/Governor was dead anyway with that sword thrust through the chest.
I'll argue that the tank was more like the Rook/Castle because of it's power and straight line movements.

With its sheer power and ability to fire in any direction i think it counts as a queen lol. Being that michoone hops out of no where she's a knight. Tee hee a black knight. Technicly white moves first and TG did make the first move. Sides the irony is great being that TG painted Rick's group as evil.

DeadCave

DeadCave

Resident Scribe

• *Members*
  • LocationUtah

With its sheer power and ability to fire in any direction i think it counts as a queen lol. Being that michoone hops out of no where she's a knight. Tee hee a black knight. Technicly white moves first and TG did make the first move. Sides the irony is great being that TG painted Rick's group as evil.

Ok, I said that I suck at this... Very good evaluation on the pieces and who was what. +1 for you. 

DominusPisces

DominusPisces

Biter

• Members
  • LocationFlorida

Ok, I said that I suck at this... Very good evaluation on the pieces and who was what. +1 for you.

Nah... I just like being argumentative sometimes. You're point is just as good.

Ciupy

Ciupy

Infected

• Members
  • LocationRomania
Very interesting article! I really love symbolism, it can add depth to the story. I need to rewatch an episode in order to put two and two together and understand the real meaning of these details.

DeadCave

DeadCave

Resident Scribe

• *Members*
  • LocationUtah

Symbolism is of course is in the eye of the beholder. Some are pretty obvious and others (well written) would be subtle but noticeable to those seeking it or having a frame of reference in their personal lives that a connection is made. 
Rick, does have a lot of symbolism with his story. Knowing there is much more ahead and hopefully under Gimbal's direction/production the symbolism will appear throughout. 
Anyone else notice anything symbolic about what Rick had done this past season? 
What about his little act of burying the guns and putting his python in the bag? Sure it was to ensure that they have a hidden cache of weapons to draw upon should things go wrong (boy did they ever), but it also (to me anyway), is symbolic in putting away the instruments of death that would otherwise mar the potential peace between him and the Terminus group. Showing up armed to the teeth is not a good way to begin a good relationship. 
Of course his action proved correct in that things did grow sour and there never was going to be any peaceful existence between his group and the Terminus folks. 

Anyone else? 

Chinghis

Chinghis

Biter

• Members
{snip}

This is another point that makes me wonder if the author had watched the show as closely as authors of these types of articles should. After the Governor's (first) attack, is when Rick went full out farmer and was hoeing the ground to plant new seeds. He discovered a GUN (a 1911 .45 cal. The same one that he switched out his Python for at the finale), not bullets. Perhaps there were bullets IN the gun but not apart from them. Or maybe I need to watch it again. But I definitely recall the mud/dirt encrusted gun. 

{snip}

Yeah, I'm late, but, yeah, it was a gun, not bullets. I think this is my favorite observation, though, that he buried the Python and took the .45. But was it the same gun, or just the same model? Either way, that's interesting.

The Walking Shooter

The Walking Shooter

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationJupiter
Michonne's relationship with Carl was symbolic of the one she had lost with her child, and represented hope. Whilst Carol struggled to cope after Sophia's death (and I think she still does in a way. She wanted to fix her mistakes with Lizzie and Mica, but she was so focused on them surviving she ignored the alarm bells Lizzie was sending off as well as Mica's innocence)., Michonne gave up for a whole until she met Andrea, Rick, Carl and the others. Thus she had something to live and fight for with Carl. IMO

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!