Beth, Better Than Ever

- - - - - Beth Greene Rick Grimes Carl Grimes Sheriffs hat badass Hershel Greene Daryl Dixon crossbow

Soaked_Pancakes

Soaked_Pancakes

Biter

• Members
  • LocationCanadensis, Pennsylvania

It seems the back-half of Season 4 did some subtle setting up for Beth. When (if?) she returns, will she come back as a badass?

We saw Daryl teaching her how to use his crossbow, and Beth seemed quite eager to finally be able to hold her own.

In the Hershel flashbacks during the season finale, A, Rick takes his sheriff's hat off of Carl, and plops it onto Beth, declaring her "the new sheriff in town." Sure, Beth didn't play that role yet, but the timing of when we saw this in the narrative seems like fairly strong foreshadowing to me.

But then there was also her vow to Daryl that she'll soon be dead...

Alternatively, you could also just call me Soiled_Panties, on account of how pissy I can be.

Aolain

Aolain

Roamer

• Members
Until this season, Beth was, to me, a non entity. This season she came into her own as a real character.

Zombie chick

Zombie chick

Lurker

• Members
I doubt it. I'm not sure how being with Daryl a few days would suddenly turn her into a warrior. Maybe it's because I've never warmed up to Emily Kinney and her Beth character, if anyone gets killed next season I hope it'd be her. Sorry Beth fans.

michaelmyers

michaelmyers

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationLouisville Ky

This is why I don't believe she is dead or that they intend on killing her.  They have plans for her character.  I don't believe they would be grooming her for badassery for no reason.  Someone mentioned in another thread the possibility of making her into the 'Andrea of the comics' and I thought that could be the plan they are building up to and if so she would need to have a part in helping with the escape.  So we've seen her develop some backbone and get some survival skills in the woods plus weaponry.  I'm interested in seeing where they take her character now.  Just please no more singing it bores me.

ceb364

ceb364

Infected

• Members

I agree, I think she will be the resident female badass, especially one they kill off Maggie/Carol.

moop420

moop420

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationInside Andrea's Short Shorts

She's going to come back as Negan.

carlstheshit

carlstheshit

Infected

• Members
  • LocationCanada

I think she is definitely returning. 

I wonder if she was kidnapped by Terminus people and because she doesn't know any better, becomes part of the Terminus crew? Then once Rick and them find out and vice versa, badass Beth would be a good one to have on the inside when/if everyone decides to escape.

I F D A R Y L D I E S W E R I O T

Xtracate

Xtracate

Lurker

• Members

Sorry can't see her going from sheltered dimwit to badass with one day of lessons.  I am torn between hoping she has a tragic death soon and hoping she makes it and they develop her into an interesting adult character.  However I don't see any reason to expect that when we next see her she will be a superhero that would be way to big a personality shift. 

I R Biter

I R Biter

Biter

• Members
  • LocationSpace City

Depends on who kidnapped her, and why.....

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators

Sorry can't see her going from sheltered dimwit to badass with one day of lessons.  I am torn between hoping she has a tragic death soon and hoping she makes it and they develop her into an interesting adult character.  However I don't see any reason to expect that when we next see her she will be a superhero that would be way to big a personality shift. 

So much this!

This talk of Beth being a badass completely baffles me.

Zombie chick

Zombie chick

Lurker

• Members
If there's going to be a new female badass I'd rather see Tara turn into one than Beth tbh.

Creeper

Creeper

Biter

• Members
  • LocationCanada

I agree, I think she will be the resident female badass, especially one they kill off Maggie/Carol.

I think it'd be a real shame to kill off either of those women in favor of turning Beth into a "badass" *snicker*, when unfortunately, EK can't act half as well as they can. 

Dead

Dead

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Beth, Bethier Than Ever.

She's going to come back as Negan.

Hell yes!

344eatt.jpg

Lioness

Lioness

Biter

• Members

I think they need to keep shopping for an actress who can play the Andrea type role convincingly. So far, none of the women on the show with the exception of Maggie and possibly Sasha come even remotely close. Beth as a bad ass after one lesson with a crossbow where she missed the target? Please. I know Daryl is that good but even he can't turn that sheltered little girl into a kick ass character in two days. The actress just doesn't have the gravitas. 

Putting out fire with gasoline.

Xtracate

Xtracate

Lurker

• Members

I think Sasha or Tara would make a great comic Andrea, that would be worth seeing. 

QueenQueso

QueenQueso

Infected

• Members
  • LocationIndiana

Lol. I thought they included her in the flashbacks so no one would forget about her. :wink:

I kinda like her character and I really hope they do something awesome with her next season. I don't read the comics, so I can't weigh in on whether she might be out to replace Andrea, but I don't see her becoming a BAMF until at least a whole season has gone by during which she grows emotionally. I also can't imagine that wherever she is and whoever has her has anything at all to do with Terminus.

shrike

shrike

Roamer

• Members

The reason for all this speculation about her is partly because out of all the characters we don't really know where she'll be psychologically and physically.  For example even though we don't know where Tyreese and Carol are , their story arcs for now have concluded in a way that we have a good who they are even if not where.

We don't even know for sure if she's been abducted, if so by whom?  Did she escape?   What kind of experiences will she have and how will it change her?  Is she in the for darkest path of them all?  Who knows and I'm predicting we'll be left hanging for quite a while.

walkerwinch

walkerwinch

Infected

• Members

I think they need to keep shopping for an actress who can play the Andrea type role convincingly. So far, none of the women on the show with the exception of Maggie and possibly Sasha come even remotely close. Beth as a bad ass after one lesson with a crossbow where she missed the target? Please. I know Daryl is that good but even he can't turn that sheltered little girl into a kick ass character in two days. The actress just doesn't have the gravitas. 

She doesn't have the upper body strength for a crossbow. Have you ever tried to do it? I like Beth fine. Why would you think she would have to fill the Andrea role? Andrea is dead....god rest her.

Corvus1970

Corvus1970

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

The reason for all this speculation about her is partly because out of all the characters we don't really know where she'll be psychologically and physically.  For example even though we don't know where Tyreese and Carol are , their story arcs for now have concluded in a way that we have a good who they are even if not where.

We don't even know for sure if she's been abducted, if so by whom?  Did she escape?   What kind of experiences will she have and how will it change her?  Is she in the for darkest path of them all?  Who knows and I'm predicting we'll be left hanging for quite a while.

Well said. Her character is the one I'm most concerned for at this moment, because I'm confident that Rick and Company will handle the Terminus situation pretty well when its said and done. Beth, however, who knows exactly what the hell is happening to her.

Lioness

Lioness

Biter

• Members

She doesn't have the upper body strength for a crossbow. Have you ever tried to do it? I like Beth fine. Why would you think she would have to fill the Andrea role? Andrea is dead....god rest her.

I absolutely do not think she could fill Andrea's shoes. Trust me on that. The Andrea type role seems to be (not a comic reader so this is what I have gleaned from here) a female sharpshooter and a BA. So far, nobody who is female fills that role. Michonne is not a sharpshooter because she used the sword. 

Since the show tries to be true to its origins in the comic it is entirely possible there will be another Andrea type to fill the bill. Sasha could be, because she does shoot and apparently very well. She'd actually be great with a little more development of her character. We have yet to see her experience a great loss. Maybe it will be Ty. I don't know. 

Actually, I have shot a bow but not a crossbow but I would not surprise me if it required more strength than Beth has. I am not a Beth fan, well, I don't mind the character but the actress leaves a lot to be desired. She is not convincing in any role other than the babysitter. Sorry if you like her but that is my opinion.

Putting out fire with gasoline.

Singlyme

Singlyme

Biter

• Members
  • LocationPA

I'm among those who can't picture Beth as a badass.  Not unless she steps from behind the person between her and danger.  Her role as an immature and helpless female was too real.  Way too feminine for the ZA.

Tara, on the other hand, was a cop, was she not?  In her, I see the greatest potential for a new badass.  She can shoot; she's proven she's brave; and she's loyal.  She was willing to sacrifice herself for Glenn to escape the tunnel. 

Lurwalker

Lurwalker

Biter

• Members
  • LocationLouisiana
Beth is no badass, a bratty ass yes, but no where near a badass but I do think that the writers are taking this opportunity to shake her world up a bit. Her world is gone, everyone she knew is gone, she's been kidnapped and no telling what has happened to her. I still think it's possible that Beth is in the other Boxcar and may have been one to scream out for help. We were shown one warehouse at Terminus where they can store a vehicle (they closed the bay door when Rick/Michonne were running through) and it's likely they use a vehicle to put all those survive/community signs out to draw people in. I think it is possible thatTerminus group may be using the black car with cross to lure people into a sanctuary scenario. People who are on their own may come out if they see a vehicle with someone driving it that looks like a preacher = they are using it as a lure on the runs to put out the signs. They then grab the person, tie them up and before they know it their at Terminus. I'm just saying this is a possibility. Either way, I think that the writers want to advance Beth and one of the things they have to do is begin to get the bratty out of her. I don't want to see her die though so I hope that they will advance her charater.

Blasko_Z

Blasko_Z

Biter

• Members

I'm among those who can't picture Beth as a badass.  Not unless she steps from behind the person between her and danger.  Her role as an immature and helpless female was too real.  Way too feminine for the ZA.

Tara, on the other hand, was a cop, was she not?  In her, I see the greatest potential for a new badass.  She can shoot; she's proven she's brave; and she's loyal.  She was willing to sacrifice herself for Glenn to escape the tunnel. 

Tara was not a cop. It was a lie she told to threaten intruders and newcomers.

nazacuckoo

nazacuckoo

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationTo your left

Beth is the next antagonist... OoOoOoOoOoOoOohh!!! I said it! You heard it here first ;)

"There's no "I" in team" 

"Yeah, there's no "U" either. So I guess if I'm not on the team, and you're not on the team, nobody's on the God damn team. The team sucks!"

Mar22

Mar22

Infected

• Members

I really don't see Beth as a badass.  Besides, between Rick, Daryl, Michone, Abraham, Maggie, Sasha and Tyrese, don't they have enough badasses?  Hershel wasn't a badass and he was an amazing character regardless.

If they find Beth again, she will become the moral compass of the group.  And she probably will sing again at some point (brace yourselves :)

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!