I Want To Kill My Laptop

- - - - - What is CACHE?!

Ryan_Dead

Ryan_Dead

Biter

• Members

Hi all, I got a new laptop for my birthday which was in January and ever since I have had it there has been a continuous problem with it. I have tried looking for a solution but there has been no luck.

I'll try to explain the problem...

• The laptop is a Toshiba Laptop and it has Windows 8.
  • I have both Google Chrome and Internet Explorer and I tend to use Internet Explorer more.
  •  I was using Internet Explorer and everything was fine until I went on Youtube. Whenever I went on Youtube and tried to play a video the page would freeze, the mouse would stutter, the video would play audio but that's all etc. It just was going bad. The same happened when I was on a site which had an instagram video of the new X-men movie. So I thought it was to do with flash maybe.
  • Because I was having problems with Internet Explorer I decided to use Chrome but that would take ages to load. Usually it pops straight up. When it eventually did load I would go on some sites but every so often I would get "Not Responding, Kill this page?"
  • So basically Internet Explorer was being a pain, I couldn't watch any videos. And Chrome takes ages to load and when it does I have to keep killing a load of websites.
  • I searched for answers and I learned that deleting history including cache would help. I did this and Internet Explorer & Chrome was fine for awhile. However, I had to keep doing this every 3-4 days otherwise the same problems would start again. Now I have to keep clearing my cache everyday! I don't know why. I am hardly on my laptop.

Does anybody know what is the problem with my laptop? Why do I have to keep clearing cache for everything to work? It is not our home internet because my sister's internet and chrome works fine, it must be my laptop.

This is driving me crazy. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. 

deahmed

deahmed

Infected

• Members
  • LocationDenmark

Download a program named CCleaner. It will clean you're computer. I've used myself and my computer is running better than before.

(ccleaner is free)

Steph

Steph

So who talks first? You talk first? I talk first?

• Administrators
  • LocationThe Tardis
What other websites are you going to that you're not mentioning? Sounds like malware, and/or something is running (that you can't see) from whatever website you've visited. 

I'd run a malware scan (malwarebytes is good.) Start with that and go from there.

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

Hallelujer! Im STILL Alive!

• Members

Unfortunately, computers are inanimate objects so they can't be killed

You probably need to do a virus scan, as others have suggested. If your computer is just running slower than it usually does, that happens with all computers over time. Fortunately, there's a solution to fix that. This can apply to everyone, and not just Ryan_Dead

http://www.reddit.co...e_of_my/cf2fcyp

Imagine a group of a hundred motorcycles driving down a freeway. Eventually, they hit a junction. One road goes northwest and the other goes northeast. So one guy, we'll call him S, says, "Let's go northwest!" A mile past the intersection, a semi careens into the group and kills ninety of them. Ten are wounded, but they survive and keep going. Eventually, they hit 10,000 miles. S suddenly has his consciousness thrown into his past body right before the junction. Now, he says, "Let's go northeast!" All 100 bikers survive. Happily ever after, right? But what about the ten, no nine, who went northwest and survived? What happens to the reality they were living? Does it just disappear now that S has changed the past? It's not like only bad things happened on that 10,000 mile journey. Maybe one of them fell in love with a gas station attendant and got her pregnant or maybe one adopted a homeless kid that joined the adventure. That 10,000 mile journey would be full of stories. Romances, farewells, friendships...the loss of those ninety lives is horrible and unfortunate, but what would rewriting their history mean? The nine who survived lived full lives and did the best they could with the hand they were dealt. How could it be right to just erase all that? Isn't that worth something? Is there a point to a world where everything is happy? Are people who struggle for a better life just idiots? Being human is about fighting even when it seems hopeless and finding happiness in a world that hates it. Are you saying that's worthless?

Ryan_Dead

Ryan_Dead

Biter

• Members
Thanks for all the replies! Getting direct responses is much better than reading a random article off the internet.

I don't really go on any unusual sites. Just tend to stick to fb, youtube, ign, sites for college work etc.

I do have an anti virus thingy. A year subscription to mcfee. I thought that would aleart me of any viruses?

Anyhow, thanks again all. I'm going to try everything you all said and hopefully fix this extremely annoying problem

Steph

Steph

• Administrators
  • LocationThe Tardis

If you have it set up to do scans automatically, then you would get an alert. If not, you need to run the scans yourself. Also, even though your laptop is fairly new, have you run updates for it? If you use Windows, I know there were just updates for that recently. I have my laptop set up to run updates automatically upon shutdown so I don't have to worry about it.

Mcfee isn't the best virus scan program, but it's better than nothing. I'd run a full scan of your computer, and also do the malware scan I suggested. That is a free program you need to download, but it's a safe and reliable program. 

Ryan_Dead

Ryan_Dead

Biter

• Members

I've done scans with both McFee and malwarebytes and they did not detect any viruses, yet my problem still remains the same. Arghhhhh! 

Steph

Steph

• Administrators
  • LocationThe Tardis

And you ran updates for Windows? 

Ryan_Dead

Ryan_Dead

Biter

• Members

And you ran updates for Windows? 

How exactly do you do check if there are any updates needed? I'm not quite sure where to check

Ansceniiiic

Ansceniiiic

Zombie Herder

• Members

One thing you could try is checking for plugin updates on Chrome to see if that works.  Another thing you could try that might help would be to type in chrome://plugins/ in the address bar and look for where it says Adobe Flash player (2 files). When you have found that, click on the +details hyperlink on the right hand side which should bring down two Shockwave Flash files. After that, disable the first file at the top and then restart Chrome. I had a similar problem before where Youtube videos crashed my browser constantly, and that method seemed to fix it. If the problem still persists, then uninstall Chrome and then do a reinstall. My advice is steer clear of Internet Explorer as it is one of the slowest internet browsers around, so maybe download Firefox as a backup. 

Ryan_Dead

Ryan_Dead

Biter

• Members
Thanks Ansceniiiic, I'm currently trying to reinstall google chrome using internet explorer (So I'm on my phone to use this site). It's taking a while but I'll wait it out.

I have a feeling internet explorer isn't going to let me download it though. It won't let me do anything. I cannot use youtube or even do little things like comment on Roamers & Lurkers at all.

It's currently been on "Downloading Google Chrome..." for about 15 minutes

Ansceniiiic

Ansceniiiic

Zombie Herder

• Members

Thanks Ansceniiiic, I'm currently trying to reinstall google chrome using internet explorer (So I'm on my phone to use this site). It's taking a while but I'll wait it out.

I have a feeling internet explorer isn't going to let me download it though. It won't let me do anything. I cannot use youtube or even do little things like comment on Roamers & Lurkers at all.

It's currently been on "Downloading Google Chrome..." for about 15 minutes

You could try a system restore from a previous date to when the computer was running fine, then go through the Chrome settings and fix it that way. Here's a guide to restoring your computer if you don't know how.http://www.eightforu...indows-8-a.html

zack

zack

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationThe Other Side

I'd run a malware scan (malwarebytes is good.) Start with that and go from there.

I've had gorillaprice (malware) on my computer for several weeks.  McAfee scan didn't get rid of it, and even bought a program online trying to get rid of it, no luck. Downloaded and ran malwarebytes, the free version.  It worked!  Thanks!

I think I got it when searching for Walking Dead spoilers.  So, another reason I won't search for spoilers!   ;)

"I don't believe that things happen for the best. I do believe, however, that it is possible to make the best of things that happen."

Steph

Steph

• Administrators
  • LocationThe Tardis

I've had gorillaprice (malware) on my computer for several weeks.  McAfee scan didn't get rid of it, and even bought a program online trying to get rid of it, no luck. Downloaded and ran malwarebytes, the free version.  It worked!  Thanks!

I think I got it when searching for Walking Dead spoilers.  So, another reason I won't search for spoilers!   ;)

Glad that site helped! I had downloaded a program a while ago that worked fine with no issues, then it had an update. Suddenly, my computer was all messed up and thank god for malwarebytes! My husband worked in IT so I'm lucky to have him around when bad things happen to good computers. :P 

Ryan, to look for updates go to Start -->type in "updates"-->click on "check updates" and follow the instructions. Some updates take a while to run, so be patient. Also, when they're done, do a restart on your computer. 

The Microsoft Security Essentials is a good free program for scanning for viruses too.

laughingdead

laughingdead

S-mart Employee

• Members
Backup up stuff and reinstall. After you get it working protect it from the start. Logon as a normal user and you will be better off.

Clidna

Clidna

Biter

• Members
  • LocationThe Great White North

Do we have a thread like this for Macs? I want to punch my Mac in the mouth most of the time...

gallery_29714_88_586.png

Coloured by Koibito (R&L Walking Dead in Colour)

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

Hallelujer! Im STILL Alive!

• Members
Check the link I provided. It's PC advice but the bottom of the post gives the same advice for Macs

Imagine a group of a hundred motorcycles driving down a freeway. Eventually, they hit a junction. One road goes northwest and the other goes northeast. So one guy, we'll call him S, says, "Let's go northwest!" A mile past the intersection, a semi careens into the group and kills ninety of them. Ten are wounded, but they survive and keep going. Eventually, they hit 10,000 miles. S suddenly has his consciousness thrown into his past body right before the junction. Now, he says, "Let's go northeast!" All 100 bikers survive. Happily ever after, right? But what about the ten, no nine, who went northwest and survived? What happens to the reality they were living? Does it just disappear now that S has changed the past? It's not like only bad things happened on that 10,000 mile journey. Maybe one of them fell in love with a gas station attendant and got her pregnant or maybe one adopted a homeless kid that joined the adventure. That 10,000 mile journey would be full of stories. Romances, farewells, friendships...the loss of those ninety lives is horrible and unfortunate, but what would rewriting their history mean? The nine who survived lived full lives and did the best they could with the hand they were dealt. How could it be right to just erase all that? Isn't that worth something? Is there a point to a world where everything is happy? Are people who struggle for a better life just idiots? Being human is about fighting even when it seems hopeless and finding happiness in a world that hates it. Are you saying that's worthless?

Clidna

Clidna

Biter

• Members
  • LocationThe Great White North

Bah - I checked and it's showing my computer is only running two programs on startup. BOLLOCKS.

gallery_29714_88_586.png

Coloured by Koibito (R&L Walking Dead in Colour)

Frank_Discussion

Frank_Discussion

Infected

• Members
  • LocationUp the old dirt road

The problem is not your laptop and is not your browser. The problem is that Flash is a pile of shit. Eventually flash will be replaced by html5, for now you can use the html5 version of youtube with chrome or firefox: https://www.youtube.com/html5

I dont know if IE supports html5 yet.

D_Piece

D_Piece

Biter

• Members
  • LocationIn your pantry being fat

The problem is not your laptop and is not your browser. The problem is that Flash is a pile of shit. Eventually flash will be replaced by html5, for now you can use the html5 version of youtube with chrome or firefox: https://www.youtube.com/html5

I dont know if IE supports html5 yet.

Under no circumstances is it ever okay to use IE....ever.

"Are you a human being? Then you are beautiful."

theblackboxlies

theblackboxlies

Top of the Food Chain

• Members
  • Locationಠ_ರೃ
I recently made the switch to google chrome. Way better than Safari (I'm a Mac guy)

D_Piece

D_Piece

Biter

• Members

Yeah, you and your iphone conformity.

GirlsDeadMonster

GirlsDeadMonster

Biter

• Members
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

I feel your pain, my HP laptop crashed this morning. I had to restore it back to a save point. That seemed to work. Sorry I don't have much for you but I'd like people's opinion on Mac vs. PC, do Mac laptops have any problems with crashing? Thinking of making a switch.

I don't have to outrun walkers, I just have to outrun you!
Highschool Of The Dead full 240316

DeadCave

DeadCave

Resident Scribe

• *Members*
  • LocationUtah

Laptop suggestion. 

hast-du-schon-versucht-es-aus-und-wieder

69% of the people find something dirty in everything they read.  http://http://www.gofundme.com/c66cv4

D_Piece

D_Piece

Biter

• Members

people's opinion on Mac vs. PC, do Mac laptops have any problems with crashing? Thinking of making a switch.

Oh god.... don't ask that!!!!

Here is my very short opinion. Macs are severely over priced for their specs. There are so many different pc brands, quality varies wildly. If you need a laptop, go for something on the relatively cheap side and back up your important info on an external hdd/ssd. Laptops have shitty lifespans. 

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!