When Did Bob Become A Main Character?

- - - - - Bob main character walking dead season 4

kombat

kombat

Biter

• Members

I think he is a main character now because he survived the prison.  I kind of like him, was ticked at him for taking the alcohol, or what ever it was, from the vet school, but that seemed realistic.  He is shown to be a flawed character with believable weakness, we would all deal with the ZA in our own way and for an alcoholic it would likely be finding a drink.

It's also nice to have someone along who doesn't have to be center stage, he is not going to take over or be a threat to anyone and you need some filler, besides we have to keep finding new people sense they seem hell bent on killing all the old ones.   I think we might just being seeing him in a different light now because there are only the three of them so he might feel more comfortable in showing his personality, rather than being reserved.  Unless he was the cause of the deaths of the other groups I don't see that as an issue, even our group has lost a lot of people, it happens at the end of the world. 

That's what I was going to say to the question of when did he become a main character? When he survived the prison. :)

Singlyme

Singlyme

Biter

• Members
  • LocationPA

After seeing the posts from the comic readers, I think it's safe to say that while inspired by the comics, the show isn't actually following them to the letter.  Since I've never read one, it doesn't bother me in the least.

I was annoyed to see Bob reach for that bottle and bring down the shelves.  Further annoyed with him at the vet clinic.  But Bob seems into recovery now.  He may have been an alkie all along - or perhaps it was his way of dealing with the za - until he was completely addicted.  Anyway, I have no problem with the character he is now.

Question is:  Will he relapse and get himself (or someone else) killed?  There's no booze to be had right now and it should all be out of his system.  If he found a drink, would he take it?

lone star walker

lone star walker

Biter

• Members
  • Locationroaming the prairie
I like Bob. Not everyone can be a main character; not everyone can be walker fodder. He's a well written, well played mid-level character. Probably has a good backstory which we may or may not ever know. "Let Bob Be"

MisguidedRose

MisguidedRose

Infected

• Members

I don't dislike Bob at all and think they COULD go somewhere with his character. To me it seems as though they're suddenly pushing to make him more likable too quickly. It DID seem to go from "You're an alcoholic troublemaker" to "You're one of US and we love you" overnight, but I suppose surviving a horrific assault like The Guv brought to the prison will bring people together pretty quickly, too. 

I'm curious to see if they are making him more of an upper-B-list player in order to get a lot of viewers to like him and feel emotions when they kill him off, or if they're going to let him live until next season and develop his story, turning him into more of a core member to replace whoever "big" dies on Sunday.

I, for one, would like him more if I could see the back story - why is he the sole survivor when two entire other groups were apparently wiped out? What's his history with the Army? Did alcohol get him kicked out, DID he even get kicked out, or did the alcohol come much later? 

Right now, as it stands for me, I wouldn't be devastated if Bob was a casualty by the end of the season. I'm not invested enough in him, yet, to really give a crap. But that's just me.

Lurwalker

Lurwalker

Biter

• Members
  • LocationLouisiana
He grew on me when he was on the road with Maggie and Sasha and then eventually made the decision to find Maggie and attempt to keep their small group together. I didn't like his sort of shady character as he was sort of first presented but having a bit of the backstory about him being alone and an alcoholic and realizing that he needs to be around people improved him. As others have stated he also isn't really a threatening character to anyone else so I am okay with him.

NaarioDaharis

NaarioDaharis

Lurker

• Members

My deal with the abs was that they HAD to have a scene with his shirt off so that they could show he had them.

It took me out of the show and made me think this was a ploy to say "Hey, this is a character you should get into now. We want you to like this character. Abs are hot. This actor has well-toned abs. He's sexy girls. Like him!"

And that once again made me very aware I was watching a "show." 

Before someone says, "Well, sorry to tell you honey it is a show." Yea, duh its a show but a good show makes you forget you are watching a bunch of overpaid actors on a screen doing fake stuff with stunts and camera crew and extras.

This show breaks the fourth wall constantly by catering to the audience when what they should be doing is developing a great story. Characters like Bob are the failure on the part of the writers to have anything else do to. They are attempting to convince the audience that there is no longer any obvious "zombie fodder" and that every character really matters, when they don't.

They even hinted at Daryl now being attracted to Beth. That will never happen, but it distracted you from the fact that nothing was going on with the story.

I do apologize as that was getting off topic, but its one of the things that has contributed to my dislike of the character.

I know this show has not focused at all on any of the "nit-picking" realities of an apocalyptic world, but no way does anyone have a six-pack (meaning abs, not beer) in a world where everyone is assumable undernourished.

This was a lot to go on about a set of abs, but its really about more than that. Its about the sloppy writing that begs the audience to focus on unimportant characters who we all know will be dead soon just for the sake of filler.

Either Carol or Tyreese at the least will outlive this season, so why not focus on them? I forget Tyreese exists most of the time. I'm not even sure what his character is. But that is a topic for another time.

Anyways, this turned into a rant, but had a lot of points I wanted to bring up.

Blasko_Z

Blasko_Z

Biter

• Members

I don't think you know what breaking the fourth wall is...

And Bob removed his shirt  because they had to apply new bandages to the bullet wound in his shoulder, and the bandages ran down his side. I would be curious how you expected them to do that without removing his shirt. 

You seem pretty entrenched in your side of this argument, so I doubt anyone here is going to be able to convince you otherwise. Suffice to say, I disagree with almost every point you brought up in your last post, but that isn't going to matter to you.

NaarioDaharis

NaarioDaharis

Lurker

• Members

I don't think you know what breaking the fourth wall is...

And Bob removed his shirt  because they had to apply new bandages to the bullet wound in his shoulder, and the bandages ran down his side. I would be curious how you expected them to do that without removing his shirt. 

You seem pretty entrenched in your side of this argument, so I doubt anyone here is going to be able to convince you otherwise. Suffice to say, I disagree with almost every point you brought up in your last post, but that isn't going to matter to you.

Sure do.

I know why he had his shirt off.

I am entrenched. You can't win an argument of opinion.

It's alright to disagree with an opinion, but calling someone's opinion wrong because its not yours is egotistical.

I asked "Who likes him and why?" Nobody who I personally know really cares for him. I get that he's a new face, but his character is not going to go anywhere, so I'd rather spend time with Tyreese, Carol, Tara, or any of these new characters who seem like they will be going somewhere.

Bob is ultimately a glorified red shirt. If he turns out to be someone interesting, I'll be proven wrong. I just think wasting time on characters like him is one of the things that brings this show down.

Again, maybe I'm wrong. Probably not. We'll see on Sunday.

mosher

mosher

Biter

• Members
  • LocationOttawa

Assuming that Bob is merely redshirt fodder, which I don't, than isn't it better to have redshirts who offer more than a body for killing? I like knowing the story, to whatever small degree, of everyone on the show. It does humanize their deaths.

I like Bob, I like that he has demons to wrestle that extend beyond mere apocalyptic survival. I don't agree that they forgot about it. 

Breaking the fourth wall specifically refers to looking at the audience when on film, but I do accept your definition as close enough, and I know what you mean. Most shows fail in that area from time to time. I never noticed the shirt thing, I have no idea what your talking about. But I've had other moments take me out of the show. They're annoying. Most shows have them, even great shows. I get over it pretty quick.

NaarioDaharis

NaarioDaharis

Lurker

• Members

Assuming that Bob is merely redshirt fodder, which I don't, than isn't it better to have redshirts who offer more than a body for killing? I like knowing the story, to whatever small degree, of everyone on the show. It does humanize their deaths.

I like Bob, I like that he has demons to wrestle that extend beyond mere apocalyptic survival. I don't agree that they forgot about it. 

Breaking the fourth wall specifically refers to looking at the audience when on film, but I do accept your definition as close enough, and I know what you mean. Most shows fail in that area from time to time. I never noticed the shirt thing, I have no idea what your talking about. But I've had other moments take me out of the show. They're annoying. Most shows have them, even great shows. I get over it pretty quick.

I do agree with that. It is better to actually develop characters some. They are improving.

It still was a pretty big 180. I was under the impression he was disliked by the prison group and very much out for himself. The sudden character transition did not show the middle part where he is transforming from a loser to a winner. He just suddenly was.

I'm a fitness guy myself and I know how difficult it is to actually gain a prominent six-pack, so it always bothers me when every single character in what is supposed to be a realistic world has one. Its not normal to have a six-pack. You're actually kinda not supposed to, but chicks and Ryan Seacrest like it so whatever.

Right, I was using liberal meaning of the fourth wall. Whenever the show reminds the audience that it is just a show I consider it to be breaking the fourth wall.

My gripe was that the "reason" his shirt was off was to bandage his wound. The "point" of the shot was to display the actor's well-toned physique. Get what I mean?

Like in the first episode of Game of Thrones when Theon, Robb and Jon are all getting a haircut with their shirts off. The "point" of the scene was to show girls watching three attractive, well-toned bodies. I can't really decide why they needed their shirts off to get a haircut, especially since its freaking cold up there.

TangoJ

TangoJ

Biter

• Members
  • LocationNortheast Texas

Like in the first episode of Game of Thrones when Theon, Robb and Jon are all getting a haircut with their shirts off. The "point" of the scene was to show girls watching three attractive, well-toned bodies. I can't really decide why they needed their shirts off to get a haircut, especially since its freaking cold up there.

Not trying to be devil's advocate here, but assuming you are male, does it still take you out of the story when a show focuses on ridiculously perfectly proportioned nude female bodies?  ;)

"Yeah, well, it could be a flower."

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators

Sure do.

I know why he had his shirt off.

I am entrenched. You can't win an argument of opinion.

It's alright to disagree with an opinion, but calling someone's opinion wrong because its not yours is egotistical.

I asked "Who likes him and why?" Nobody who I personally know really cares for him. I get that he's a new face, but his character is not going to go anywhere, so I'd rather spend time with Tyreese, Carol, Tara, or any of these new characters who seem like they will be going somewhere.

Bob is ultimately a glorified red shirt. If he turns out to be someone interesting, I'll be proven wrong. I just think wasting time on characters like him is one of the things that brings this show down.

Again, maybe I'm wrong. Probably not. We'll see on Sunday.

Most of the time, people react to the delivery of a post. A lot of your posts are coming off as argumentative. It's why you are getting so many negative responses and why your posts are being voted down.

Blasko stated that he disagreed with your opinion. There is nothing egotistical about that.

Steph

Steph

So who talks first? You talk first? I talk first?

• Administrators
  • LocationThe Tardis

Most of the time, people react to the delivery of a post. A lot of your posts are coming off as argumentative. It's why you are getting so many negative responses and why your posts are being voted down.

Blasko stated that he disagreed with your opinion. There is nothing egotistical about that.

Took the words right out of my mouth. 

It's okay to have an opinion, but to join a forum like this just to bash a certain character, and argue with everyone right out of the gate over said character, doesn't give a good first impression. I'm not saying someone can't come to start a thread asking about a character, but when it's so defensive and combative, it doesn't come of very well. 

NaarioDaharis

NaarioDaharis

Lurker

• Members

Not trying to be devil's advocate here, but assuming you are male, does it still take you out of the story when a show focuses on ridiculously perfectly proportioned nude female bodies?  ;)

No, that is a good question.

I'm trying to think. I honestly haven't ever been taken by Maggie's allure until that scene with Sasha where it seemed like she was ready to take their friendship to the next level after they fought off the zombies at the ice cream truck.

Has there been anyone else? TWD wise?

Game of Thrones wise, my question actually is "Are all the women of the noble houses super hot besides Arya?" I don't really know when they've shown an unattractive female (old ladies don't count).

Even Brienne is attractive.

I accept it when they do have these attractive characters though because they are described that way in the book. Except Brienne. 

I do wonder where all the unattractive women are in TWD as well. Apparently they didn't survive. Carol is old enough to not count.

NaarioDaharis

NaarioDaharis

Lurker

• Members

I get it.

What do the votes do?

I sure did come to bash because this character annoys the heck out of me.

You were kinda smart in your first response to me. I didn't vote you down though because you did have some good points.

I agree this has gotten really argumentative. I just intended it as a rant, but then people were like "what are you talking about?" so I extrapolated.

Also, I do have strong, usually extreme opinions and do what some people call "over-analyzing." But hey, the show has taken crap from the reasons I brought up. I know most of my friends don't watch it now because things seem so pointless. Its a show of filler. Last season was filler for the last episode. The Governor coulda come in the first episode an wrecked the place and it wouldn't have made a difference.

Clidna

Clidna

Biter

• Members
  • LocationThe Great White North

It still was a pretty big 180. I was under the impression he was disliked by the prison group and very much out for himself. The sudden character transition did not show the middle part where he is transforming from a loser to a winner. He just suddenly was.

My gripe was that the "reason" his shirt was off was to bandage his wound. The "point" of the shot was to display the actor's well-toned physique. Get what I mean?

Quite honestly, I didn't even notice his abs during that scene, and I usually would notice - I was trying to check out his wound to see if he'd actually been bitten.

I think I might know what's going on with your impression of Bob though - everybody was treating him decently at the prison until the scene where Daryl discovers he has the booze. I think (and I may be wrong) what may have happened is that you assumed that the others at the prison knew about that, but they didn't - only Michonne, Tyreese, and Daryl knew about it, and that's why everyone else it treated him like a hero (for treating the ill with the meds after they returned). Am I possibly on to something here? It may simply have been a misinterpretation of the followup to that scene.

gallery_29714_88_586.png

Coloured by Koibito (R&L Walking Dead in Colour)

NaarioDaharis

NaarioDaharis

Lurker

• Members

Quite honestly, I didn't even notice his abs during that scene, and I usually would notice - I was trying to check out his wound to see if he'd actually been bitten.

I think I might know what's going on with your impression of Bob though - everybody was treating him decently at the prison until the scene where Daryl discovers he has the booze. I think (and I may be wrong) what may have happened is that you assumed that the others at the prison knew about that, but they didn't - only Michonne, Tyreese, and Daryl knew about it, and that's why everyone else it treated him like a hero (for treating the ill with the meds after they returned). Am I possibly on to something here? It may simply have been a misinterpretation of the followup to that scene.

That could be it. I actually don't even remember the treating of the infected. I'm pretty sure no one infected except Glenn survived anyway.

The whole disease thing was just the Sophia of the season. All it did was exterminate the extras and provide filler for the last episode. I just talked about that so I won't again.

Clidna

Clidna

Biter

• Members
  • LocationThe Great White North

Sasha survived, as well as Lizzie, and other citizens (extras) who ended up on the bus during the big battle. They didn't survive that bus ride, though :(

gallery_29714_88_586.png

Coloured by Koibito (R&L Walking Dead in Colour)

KidSeventySeven

KidSeventySeven

Boomstick Commander

• Members
  • LocationPlatform 9 3/4

I'm trying to think. I honestly haven't ever been taken by Maggie's allure until that scene with Sasha where it seemed like she was ready to take their friendship to the next level after they fought off the zombies at the ice cream truck.

Wait, wut?

Jon is fine, dammit.

That Guy

That Guy

Biter

• Members
  • LocationBumfuck, Nowhere

Sorry, as someone obsessed with his body I just can't let this 'perfectly toned abs' thing go. Is this seriously what passes for 'perfectly toned abs' these days? If so, why do I even bother with all this bodybuilding crap. I might as well just eat whatever the hell I want and stop lifting heavy because apparently all you need to be 'fit' is around 15% bodyfat that lets a vague outline of abdominal muscles poke through when you sit hunched over. 

Okay, I'm done ranting now.

NaarioDaharis

NaarioDaharis

Lurker

• Members

Sorry, as someone obsessed with his body I just can't let this 'perfectly toned abs' thing go. Is this seriously what passes for 'perfectly toned abs' these days? If so, why do I even bother with all this bodybuilding crap. I might as well just eat whatever the hell I want and stop lifting heavy because apparently all you need to be 'fit' is around 15% bodyfat that lets a vague outline of abdominal muscles poke through when you sit hunched over. 

Okay, I'm done ranting now.

Ehh, that doesn't make it as big a deal as I'd thought. He does kinda have just a generally fit person body. 

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators

I get it.

What do the votes do?

I sure did come to bash because this character annoys the heck out of me.

You were kinda smart in your first response to me. I didn't vote you down though because you did have some good points.

I agree this has gotten really argumentative. I just intended it as a rant, but then people were like "what are you talking about?" so I extrapolated.

Also, I do have strong, usually extreme opinions and do what some people call "over-analyzing." But hey, the show has taken crap from the reasons I brought up. I know most of my friends don't watch it now because things seem so pointless. Its a show of filler. Last season was filler for the last episode. The Governor coulda come in the first episode an wrecked the place and it wouldn't have made a difference.

Most of the time, people upvote a post when they agree with that persons POV or that poster has articulated their point very well. It's a way of showing your overall reputation around here.

For the most part, most of our members don't down-vote a post just because they don't agree with that poster's opinion. Again, usually it's all in the delivery and people respond in kind.

Generally, we don't have a problem when someone presents constructive criticism of the show. I love a good debate. I especially love it when someone insights cause me to see something in a different light.

NaarioDaharis

NaarioDaharis

Lurker

• Members

Most of the time, people upvote a post when they agree with that persons POV or that poster has articulated their point very well. It's a way of showing your overall reputation around here.

For the most part, most of our members don't down-vote a post just because they don't agree with that poster's opinion. Again, usually it's all in the delivery and people respond in kind.

Generally, we don't have a problem when someone presents constructive criticism of the show. I love a good debate. I especially love it when someone insights cause me to see something in a different light.

I guess I'm going more from an outside of the show looking in. Not necessarily concerned about what is going on with the characters as I am why they are being shown in the first place.

If Bob has any lasting effects past his death, I will be proved wrong. But I am become annoyed when I have to watch scenes with him and Sasha. I don't know that either of them are characters who will come to anything lasting in the show.

People still mention Andrea and others from the old group. I've been sad that she's not a part of things. She was one of my favorite characters, but apparently most people hated her.

I did like Bob's view of "ok, then what?" when he was talking with Sasha. That was a good moment and was insightful to the events going on.

If he becomes something of a guru for the group, like Dale and Hershel, that will be satisfying.

If he dies next episode, I would rather have spent more time with Tyreese. They stuck him in the show super late and haven't really given him the screen time he deserves.

That is my gripe. I think they spend too much time on unimportant things for the sake of filler.

Blasko_Z

Blasko_Z

Biter

• Members

I guess I'm going more from an outside of the show looking in. Not necessarily concerned about what is going on with the characters as I am why they are being shown in the first place.

If Bob has any lasting effects past his death, I will be proved wrong. But I am become annoyed when I have to watch scenes with him and Sasha. I don't know that either of them are characters who will come to anything lasting in the show.

People still mention Andrea and others from the old group. I've been sad that she's not a part of things. She was one of my favorite characters, but apparently most people hated her.

I did like Bob's view of "ok, then what?" when he was talking with Sasha. That was a good moment and was insightful to the events going on.

If he becomes something of a guru for the group, like Dale and Hershel, that will be satisfying.

If he dies next episode, I would rather have spent more time with Tyreese. They stuck him in the show super late and haven't really given him the screen time he deserves.

That is my gripe. I think they spend too much time on unimportant things for the sake of filler.

At this point, though, you are judging the character based on something that might happen. We have no idea how long Bob will be around. He might be killed next episode, but he also might be one of the last survivors on the show. Since none of us (that I am aware of) are clairvoyants, we just don't know.

DominusPisces

DominusPisces

Biter

• Members
  • LocationFlorida

At this point, though, you are judging the character based on something that might happen. We have no idea how long Bob will be around. He might be killed next episode, but he also might be one of the last survivors on the show. Since none of us (that I am aware of) are clairvoyants, we just don't know.

It is a shame that, since this is T.V. using actors that a character's lifetime doesn't always last until their arc is done. Sometimes actor's have creative differences and want to leave or something better for their career comes up and they need to be written off the show, like Dale was. I mean, what happens if Yun's contract is up and he gets offered a sweet deal on a different show? They'll have to kill of Glenn. On the flip side, if they get an A-list actor that brings the actor's fans to the show, what happens when that character lasts waaaaay too long.

At least with the comics the character lasts as long as it takes for their story to be told.

Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray thee Lord these bites aren't deep.
Should I die before I wake, I pray thee Lord, my skull they break.

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!