Maggie Not Worried About Beth?

- - - - - season 4 twd the walking dead the walking dead season 4 spoilers maggie glenn beth

Lioness

Lioness

Biter

• Members

Okay. I'm throwing my two cents in. I am both a sister and have been married. I adore my brother and he loves me very much as well. However, I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that if a ZA happened, my brother would be worried about his wife and daughters, not me. During the Gov fight, Maggie left Glenn on the bus. She took care of Glenn first. THEN she went to find Beth. When both Beth and Glenn were gone, her first priority was Glenn and she focused all of her energy and will on finding him. Now that she has found him, she will focus on finding Beth.

Even before my divorce when things were definitely NOT good with my husband and me, I would have devoted my time to finding my husband, not my brother. I think that is just a mentality you have as a mother and spouse; your children, then your spouse, are your first concerns. Then your parents and siblings and friends. I think Maggie's obsession was very realistic.

I agree with what you are saying. Many people (my own brothers included) would go after their wife and kids before worrying about me. I would look for my husband and daughter first but then I'd be all over finding my brothers. They would never be out of my mind though and I am certain I would talk about them a great deal until I knew they were safe.

Putting out fire with gasoline.

Xtracate

Xtracate

Lurker

• Members

Okay. I'm throwing my two cents in. I am both a sister and have been married. I adore my brother and he loves me very much as well. However, I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that if a ZA happened, my brother would be worried about his wife and daughters, not me. During the Gov fight, Maggie left Glenn on the bus. She took care of Glenn first. THEN she went to find Beth. When both Beth and Glenn were gone, her first priority was Glenn and she focused all of her energy and will on finding him. Now that she has found him, she will focus on finding Beth.

Even before my divorce when things were definitely NOT good with my husband and me, I would have devoted my time to finding my husband, not my brother. I think that is just a mentality you have as a mother and spouse; your children, then your spouse, are your first concerns. Then your parents and siblings and friends. I think Maggie's obsession was very realistic.

I don't really question her going after Glenn first and with full focus, for this reason and because she had more reason to think he might have survived when he was not on the bus.  I still think when she found him she should have asked about Beth. 

Hialmar

Hialmar

Infected

• Members

I think they are so scattered and she was already getting reistance from Sasha on looking for Glenn that there might be a bit of hopelessness involved in ever finding anyone else from the prison.  I think if they had found some sort of sign to follow up on or an indication that someone else from the prison group was nearby they would have searched for them.

There is also a certain mindset where some folks would rather imagine the best outcome and not search for the truth and be disappointed. 

Frankly if any of the groups thought others had survived they would not just have kept running off and would instead would have stayed in the general vicinity of the prison and while staying in cover check the perimiter to see if they could find other survivors.  Clearly that battle was over and sounds of gunfire had died off pretty quickly, so no threat from the attackers and they could have probably still have avoided most of the walkers while in the woods.  The only one that did anything like this was Michonne and yet she still missed Glenn.

Jgreenwood

Jgreenwood

Roamer

• Members

My only thing is that Maggie left NOTES for Glenn to find her. You'd think she would have put Beth's name up there too or anyone else. I hope Maggie gets food poisoning from Beth.

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators

I don’t have any problem believing Daryl would react this way, Beth even points out that he has just shut down, its BS but it is how he is coping.   He has had enough, enough of losing everyone, in fact it might even make more sense of why he is ok with Joe’s group, besides the obvious better than being alone.  These are people he does not have to get attached to, he won’t be in danger of building friendship/loyalties, he is big on protecting kids and women that won’t be an issue with these guys, he can take them or leave them so no more getting hurt. 

Maggie and Tyreese are my biggest issues, she would have asked about Beth it’s just a jarring inconsistency.  But I suspect you are right Clinda, much of this has been cut for other reasons, like 30 minutes of wandering around the woods brooding, but one line each would have made it less annoying.

That's a very good point about Daryl being with a group he doesn't have to care about. It certainly fits with what we know about him.

I think Maggie is just too focused on finding Glenn right now. Some people will just box up awful trauma like that as they can't deal with it just yet. I've done this myself after a miscarriage. I spent two full weeks not even bothered by it, and like nothing bad had happened. Then boom, total meltdowns and it hit me very hard. I think it was just a defense mechanism kicking in. 

Anyway, changed the thread title to make it easier to find when searching for topics. :)

That's a good point, as well.

It has only been 4 or 5 days (we think) since the prison fell. No one even slept the night before the Guv attacked. They were too busy dealing with the sick and the fence. As I mentioned before I do think PTSD is playing a part in most of the characters behavior.

However, a line or two  questioning who ran off, who got shot, who saw Daryl, Carl, Judith, etc. would have gone a long way.

Clidna

Clidna

Biter

• Members
  • LocationThe Great White North

Nah, it's been longer than that. Just by Daryl's storyline:

Night one, sitting around with Beth @ campfire

Night two, in the trunk w/Beth

Night three, moonshine shack

Night four, @ mortuary

Night five, Beth kidnapped from mortuary

Nights six and seven, with Joe's crew.

And that's just what we've seen, assuming there are no time jumps - I personally think it's likely there was a night between the country club and the moonshine shack (the day they found the country club seemed to be a pretty full day), and there may have been a day or three between the shack and finding the mortuary, when Daryl was teaching Beth to track. My gut feeling is that it's been more like ten - twelve days since the prison was attacked. The signs for Terminus also had Maggie's group discussing that it was pretty far away.

gallery_29714_88_586.png

Coloured by Koibito (R&L Walking Dead in Colour)

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators

Nah, it's been longer than that. Just by Daryl's storyline:

Night one, sitting around with Beth @ campfire

Night two, in the trunk w/Beth

Night three, moonshine shack

Night four, @ mortuary

Night five, Beth kidnapped from mortuary

Nights six and seven, with Joe's crew.

And that's just what we've seen, assuming there are no time jumps - I personally think it's likely there was a night between the country club and the moonshine shack (the day they found the country club seemed to be a pretty full day), and there may have been a day or three between the shack and finding the mortuary, when Daryl was teaching Beth to track. My gut feeling is that it's been more like ten - twelve days since the prison was attacked. The signs for Terminus also had Maggie's group discussing that it was pretty far away.

I know it's hard to determine, but I don't think they spent a full night at the mortuary. It's hard to tell because of all the candles they had burning. In this scene, you can still see light coming in through the windows. I thought this was late afternoon.

2j3jjop.jpg

BitBrit

BitBrit

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationNorth West England
Its definitely confusing. I figured him carrying her in for the meal was breakfast the following day. Plus it was suggested he slept in the coffin the night she was playing the piano.

Xtracate

Xtracate

Lurker

• Members

Your right Serenity@sea it's full light outside and unless it is supposed to be summer and it's turned colder too quick for that, it could not be even late evening.  Yet another reason to be annoyed about burning all the candles, genius waste what you might need on ambiance. Stupid, stupid, stupid....

Singlyme

Singlyme

Biter

• Members
  • LocationPA

While I believe that finding Glenn would have been first priority, I can't imagine Maggie completely shutting out thoughts of her sister.  All that time walking down those tracks, no asking Bob and Sasha if they'd seen her sister run off in another direction at the prison?  If they saw her killed?  Seems unrealistic to me.  As someone else said, perhaps it was one of those off-camera conversations.

Not finding him on that bus gave her a confident hope that Glenn had made it, but I can't believe it's the only thought she's had in her head for all these days.  If so, that's some incredible focus.

Again, as someone else previously said, the only ones who've mentioned loved ones are Carl and Rick.  No one else has uttered the words, "Did you see if...."  Even Rick didn't ask Michonne about others in the group.

etphoto

etphoto

Biter

• Members

Good thread.  I agree with most of what everyone is saying. I just think the show (with all the dam commercials) is short enough and they don't want to waste airtime with the obvious. 

Bestrafen

Bestrafen

Roamer

• Members

I find it odd Maggie is getting all this criticism yet Beth has barely mentioned Maggie.  She'd rather go look for a drink than search for her or Glenn, her only remaining relatives.

Tyreese hasn't mentioned Sasha at all yet no one is saying anything about that either. 

Max_Brooks

Max_Brooks

Lurker

• Members

I find it odd Maggie is getting all this criticism yet Beth has barely mentioned Maggie.  She'd rather go look for a drink than search for her or Glenn, her only remaining relatives.

Tyreese hasn't mentioned Sasha at all yet no one is saying anything about that either. 

Beth had a long soliloquy that included Maggie when she was sitting on the porch drinking with Daryl.   She talked about how she had hoped to see Glenn and Maggie have a baby, and that her dad would be a grandpa and they would celebrate holidays and birthdays and have picnics.

At least Beth had some thought about her sister.   Same can't be said for Maggie.

Bestrafen

Bestrafen

Roamer

• Members

Beth had a long soliloquy that included Maggie when she was sitting on the porch drinking with Daryl.   She talked about how she had hoped to see Glenn and Maggie have a baby, and that her dad would be a grandpa and they would celebrate holidays and birthdays and have picnics.

At least Beth had some thought about her sister.   Same can't be said for Maggie.

While there is no concrete comparison, Maggie left Glenn on the bus and got seperated from him.  If it wasn't for Beth leaving the bus in the first place, the situation would have never happened to begin with.  Beth went to look for Judith but has never mentioned her either.  Tyreese grabbed her from the car seat in the middle of the courtyard; was Beth honestly not able to spot that from a mile away?

Additionally, Maggie did explain to Sasha and Bob that she lost sight of Beth and had no idea where to start looking but she had a fix on where the bus went.

Lioness

Lioness

Biter

• Members

Your right Serenity@sea it's full light outside and unless it is supposed to be summer and it's turned colder too quick for that, it could not be even late evening.  Yet another reason to be annoyed about burning all the candles, genius waste what you might need on ambiance. Stupid, stupid, stupid....

But...but...she needed the candlelight to set the mood for her playing. /

Lioness

Lioness

Biter

• Members

I agree with your first point. Beth seemed so convinced that people had to still be alive when she was carping at Daryl as they sat around the campfire. But her desire to get high seemed to have overwhelmed those concerns.

Tyreese has been criticized on another thread for his in depth lament about Karen yet failing to mention Sasha at all during a scene in The Grove. 

Bestrafen

Bestrafen

Roamer

• Members

I agree with your first point. Beth seemed so convinced that people had to still be alive when she was carping at Daryl as they sat around the campfire. But her desire to get high seemed to have overwhelmed those concerns.

Tyreese has been criticized on another thread for his in depth lament about Karen yet failing to mention Sasha at all during a scene in The Grove. 

True but the detraction Maggie has gotten in regards to Beth is not even close to the amount Tyreese has gotten in regards to Sasha.  I think it's all these Beth fans coming out of the woodwork complaining about how "no one cares about my character."  If individuals are going to complain about a certain situation, it should be done in a universal fashion. 

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators

True but the detraction Maggie has gotten in regards to Beth is not even close to the amount Tyreese has gotten in regards to Sasha.  I think it's all these Beth fans coming out of the woodwork complaining about how "no one cares about my character."  If individuals are going to complain about a certain situation, it should be done in a universal fashion. 

Well, that is a generalization. Did you read the first page of this thread?

That is definitely not my reason for complaining about it. I think it was a mistake by the writers for all the characters not to mention the other members, even if they thought they were all dead.

In Sasha's case, it was explained. She was afraid to find out what may have happened to Tyreese.

jayde

jayde

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationCanada

Beth has talked about Maggie and her father. She even mentioned Glenn and then talked about what she hoped to see in the future with her family. Beth is the only one out of everyone that considered that others from the prison may be alive and wanted to go find them. But apart from Maggie saying one short line that she couldn't find Beth, she hasn't mentioned her again.

Although none of the groups have really said much about the other prison survivors besides Beth and Daryl, I'm really annoyed by Maggie's complete and utter lack of dialogue about Beth. I get that she needed to find Glenn but she hasn't even mentioned her little sister or the death of her father. Daryl has showed more emotion for the loss of Hershel and the loss of the prison group and apart from Merle who barely did anything for him, he didn't even have any blood in that prison. I know she was getting grief from Sasha so it's possible that since they couldn't find Beth and she knew that Glenn was last on the bus, that she decided to go follow the path of least resistance and search for the one who had the better chance. I'm not sure Sasha would have agreed to go look for Beth AND Glenn when she clearly thought there was a good chance her own brother didn't survive.

So in that way I can understand her having tunnel vision and depending on finding at least Glenn but that doesn't explain why she hasn't even mentioned Beth. I expected her to ask him if he saw anyone else when they found each other but nope... who cares about my baby sister, lets just lay here and burn my photo because I think I look ugly in it... Right.

Maggie is going to feel like shit if and when she finds out that Beth was alive and was kidnapped. Daryl did all he could for her and if Maggie survives long enough to hear about it or see her, I'm not looking forward to the possible sniffling she's going to do about her sister she's barely mentioned.

It's odd to me that Tyreese hasn't mentioned his sister either but he's also been with three kids this entire time until Carol came along. Even if he does talk about her, he's in no position to go looking for her, even if the only child they have is Judith now. The other groups with the exception of Rick's because of his injury/illness, are the only ones capable of taking the risk to even consider going out and looking for others. Tyreese and Carol wouldn't be able to do that while still looking after any of the kids, it may lead to a death sentence for all of them. So in that regard, I can maybe see why he doesn't mention her if it's because there's nothing he can do about it anyway. Maggie, on the other hand, has had off and on support (and always had Bob in her corner) from her group and now has Glenn as well. There's really nothing keeping her from at least expressing worry over Beth compared to Ty's situation.

Bestrafen

Bestrafen

Roamer

• Members

Beth has talked about Maggie and her father. She even mentioned Glenn and then talked about what she hoped to see in the future with her family. Beth is the only one out of everyone that considered that others from the prison may be alive and wanted to go find them. But apart from Maggie saying one short line that she couldn't find Beth, she hasn't mentioned her again.

Although none of the groups have really said much about the other prison survivors besides Beth and Daryl, I'm really annoyed by Maggie's complete and utter lack of dialogue about Beth. I get that she needed to find Glenn but she hasn't even mentioned her little sister or the death of her father. Daryl has showed more emotion for the loss of Hershel and the loss of the prison group and apart from Merle who barely did anything for him, he didn't even have any blood in that prison. I know she was getting grief from Sasha so it's possible that since they couldn't find Beth and she knew that Glenn was last on the bus, that she decided to go follow the path of least resistance and search for the one who had the better chance. I'm not sure Sasha would have agreed to go look for Beth AND Glenn when she clearly thought there was a good chance her own brother didn't survive.

So in that way I can understand her having tunnel vision and depending on finding at least Glenn but that doesn't explain why she hasn't even mentioned Beth. I expected her to ask him if he saw anyone else when they found each other but nope... who cares about my baby sister, lets just lay here and burn my photo because I think I look ugly in it... Right.

Maggie is going to feel like shit if and when she finds out that Beth was alive and was kidnapped. Daryl did all he could for her and if Maggie survives long enough to hear about it or see her, I'm not looking forward to the possible sniffling she's going to do about her sister she's barely mentioned.

It's odd to me that Tyreese hasn't mentioned his sister either but he's also been with three kids this entire time until Carol came along. Even if he does talk about her, he's in no position to go looking for her, even if the only child they have is Judith now. The other groups with the exception of Rick's because of his injury/illness, are the only ones capable of taking the risk to even consider going out and looking for others. Tyreese and Carol wouldn't be able to do that while still looking after any of the kids, it may lead to a death sentence for all of them. So in that regard, I can maybe see why he doesn't mention her if it's because there's nothing he can do about it anyway. Maggie, on the other hand, has had off and on support (and always had Bob in her corner) from her group and now has Glenn as well. There's really nothing keeping her from at least expressing worry over Beth compared to Ty's situation.

Are we discussing dialogue or action?

If Tyreese was hamstrung by having children with him and couldn't actively go look for Sasha, he could at least mention Sasha.  Additionally, one must bear in mind that both Maggie and Glenn have barely had any screentime during the second half of the season.  Beth and Daryl were given an entire episode so the chance for her to actually speak about what's going on is substantially higher.  No one is going to be satisfied even if Maggie mentions Beth twice because it will ultimately be "why hasn't he mentioned her more than twice?" 

It's not even about siblings because I find that no one really discusses anybody in general. 

Tyreese hasn't discussed Sasha.  Glenn hasn't discussed Hershel.  Beth hasn't discussed Judith.  Daryl hasn't discussed Rick.  It's all over the place but I find it very odd that Maggie seems to be the only real focus of the criticism. 

Bestrafen

Bestrafen

Roamer

• Members

Well, that is a generalization. Did you read the first page of this thread?

That is definitely not my reason for complaining about it. I think it was a mistake by the writers for all the characters not to mention the other members, even if they thought they were all dead.

In Sasha's case, it was explained. She was afraid to find out what may have happened to Tyreese.

I'm speaking across all social media including Twitter, Tumblr, etc.

The fact of the matter is that Maggie is the focus of this "wrong" but the others seem to be mentioned far less by performing the same mistake.  Is there any way to say the word "most" these days without someone being accused of stereotyping or words with negative connotations such as "generalization?"

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators

I'm speaking across all social media including Twitter, Tumblr, etc.

The fact of the matter is that Maggie is the focus of this "wrong" but the others seem to be mentioned far less by performing the same mistake.  Is there any way to say the word "most" these days without someone being accused of stereotyping or words with negative connotations such as "generalization?"

I wouldn't have taken issue with your statement if you had specified that you have formed your opinion from reading social media.

I'm basing my opinion on what I am reading here and I don't feel that is the reason that Maggie is receiving the largest amount of criticism.

ETA: I didn't read the word "most' in your previous post. I read "all these".

TheLibrarian

TheLibrarian

Lurker

• Members

Seems everyone has forgotten about anyone in this show. 

Maggie doesn't mention Beth.

Tyreese hardly mentions Sasha. 

Daryl gives up searching for Beth. (though, I can't really blame him. He tried and came to a cross roads. He CAN'T do anything as he's with that dangerous group who may not even let him leave anyway.) 

Anyway.. yeah. 

I'm So Meta, Even This Acronym

jayde

jayde

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationCanada

Are we discussing dialogue or action?

If Tyreese was hamstrung by having children with him and couldn't actively go look for Sasha, he could at least mention Sasha.  Additionally, one must bear in mind that both Maggie and Glenn have barely had any screentime during the second half of the season.  Beth and Daryl were given an entire episode so the chance for her to actually speak about what's going on is substantially higher.  No one is going to be satisfied even if Maggie mentions Beth twice because it will ultimately be "why hasn't he mentioned her more than twice?" 

It's not even about siblings because I find that no one really discusses anybody in general. 

Tyreese hasn't discussed Sasha.  Glenn hasn't discussed Hershel.  Beth hasn't discussed Judith.  Daryl hasn't discussed Rick.  It's all over the place but I find it very odd that Maggie seems to be the only real focus of the criticism. 

Well that's why the first thing I said is that it's odd for Tyreese to not mention Sasha. I merely was saying that other groups like Rick and Tyreese's at least have been much more preoccupied with keeping themselves and their group safe to expect them to have much time to lament about their losses. Maggie is in the most able-bodied group. Their only weak point has been an injured Bob who still seems to do quite well. I'm not saying it isn't still weird that no one apart from Beth and Daryl has even talked about the fall of the prison, but this is about Maggie and Beth, not Tyreese or anyone else.

Maggie is getting flack for it because her and Glenn are the only ones with tunnel vision that have one goal - finding each other. No one else matters. Maggie has even jeopardized Bob and Sasha (and herself) a few times because she hasn't focused on anything else. I don't even really blame her, I'd want to find my husband, too. But to me it's ridiculous to see her acting so reckless, going off half cocked without considering anyone else but him, when she hasn't shown even half that much concern for her sister. If I was Sasha, I would have given Maggie a smack after killing all the walkers that came out of the bus. Not cool the way she put them in that position.

I don't know where you get the idea that no one would be satisfied if she mentioned Beth again. I would. Like you said, it's not as though they've had much screentime to get into it but that doesn't mean they can't throw at least one scene in about her concern for Beth. It'd be nice if she remembered she had a little sister.

It's funny that Ty is having nightmares about Karen enough so that he talks about her, but he isn't mentioning Sasha either. They were painted to be pretty close but now there's absolutely no talk of her. But he's also not running off like a nutjob saying he has to find Rick or something when he should be looking for his sister either. He's just not looking for anyone in general and is just trying to keep Judith safe and get to Terminus.

And Glenn has discussed Hershel with Tara. Shortly after they met she told him what happened. And to put that in perspective: Glenn and Tara have talked about Hershel if only just for a second. Maggie hasn't mentioned him at all.

Lioness

Lioness

Biter

• Members

Well, unless we are meant to believe that none of these characters gives a darn about their missing sisters, friends, co-survivors then I guess there is only one thing remaining and that is the writers are not writing dimensional characters. Almost nobody ever talks about people when they have died. There has never been one word mentioned about Andrea even when Michonne killed TG. I expected her to say, "That's for Andrea" or something, but nope. There may have been one mention of T-Dog but I am not sure. Rick over did the whole Lori thing but for everyone else otherwise out of sight out of mind. Merle who? 

Maggie, Sasha and Bob ought to be asking if anyone saw Rick, Michonne, Daryl, Tyreese, Carol (well not Maggie in that case) or anyone else. The children? Did the kids get out ok? Nobody seems to give a crap about them either. In R/L this would be a source of major discussions. Of course, in R/L these people would have a meeting place already pre-planned in the event of just this kind of thing. They obviously learned nothing from being split up after losing the farm.

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!