Describe Your Bug Out Bag

- - - - - survival gear

Kursk

Kursk

S-mart Employee

• Members

So what's your bug-out-bag (and contents) look like.

I have a big hiking backpacking. It has 5 compartments: front pouch, 2 sides, top pouch, and big middle. Visually it looks very similar to the red one carried by Dead Hitchhiker and now by Glenn.

Advantages:
-Very large. Sturdy, has deep cargo capacity
-Its the only suitable BOB I personally own

Disadvantages:
-Very large. Heavy and bulky to transport. At my size and strength I can still carry it and manage a brisk jog if needed
-The color red. It's bright and achieves the exact opposite of camoflauge

Contents:

Front pouch has: Emergency weather poncho, survival field manual, small deck of cards, claw hammer. small binoculars and emergency thermal blanket

First side has: 2 small bottles bactine, bottle of acetaminophen

Second side has plastic large water bottle

Top pouch has: standard first aid kit

Big middle has (deepest items listed first): ziplock of toothpaste/deoderant and a toothbrush. Small pillow and thin blankets. 4 rolls toilet paper. various ziplocks with med/antibiotic supplies. plastic bag with many food bars

Goals:
-to condense majority of my survival useful goods into one mobile unit
-to transport a diverse range of useful goods while staying as lean as possible

Other items I still need to integrate. Most of these are things I use for daily/useful purposes and it'd be more hassle than its worth to pack em up right now:

big bottle of hand soap
big bottle of hand sanitizer
various other meds
4pack rechargeable batteries x2
random batteries
flashlights
various melee
scissors and other tools

And that still leaves me with a decent amount of spare capacity.

Discussion:
-What's your bug out bag all about (real/existent, or ideal/speculative)?
-Any feedback on my BOB? What else does it need, other essentials, anything that should get discarded.

wasp

wasp

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationBay Area CA

I keep 2 kits ready at all times. One large kit in my shed with food and water, medical supplies, eating utensils, TP, bleach, rubbing alcohol sleeping bags, a tent, tarps and rope, cat and dog food. Cast iron cookware, portable grill, lanterns Too much to list really.

The second one in my truck is a bit easier to document.

I carry all of this in a US army ALICE bag. It is full frame, and holds about 85 pounds worth of supplies.

Off the top of my head this is what I got:

Poncho

Aluminum space blanket

Light weight hammock, the entire pack about the same size as the poncho all balled up.

Sling shot with hundreds of lead musket balls, rocks or marbles would work ok too.

A magnesium fire starter

Strike anywhere matches in waterproof case

Buck knife, full tang, none of that hollow handle shit. The hollow handle seems cool, but it is not sturdy

Rice and dried beans

Army rations with a 3 or 4 year shelf life and water in pouches, can be bought online or surplus store

300 feet of Paracord, this is very versatile with high tensile strength

Machete

Hatchet

Toilet paper

Rags

Off bug spray

Benadryl

Tylenol

Asprin

Toothbrush

Baking soda

Freeze dried coffee

gauze

A full change of clothing in a separate back pack, the second pack can be used to lighten my pack if someone else is with me

Maglite with batteries

Crank operated light and radio

DC power inverter, can use a car battery to power 3 or 4 110 outlets

Surgeons tool kit, scissors, scalpels, little scissor like clamps

A few various freeze dried soup mixes

50 quart size ziplocs and 50 gallon sized bags, containers are very important

Life straws, have 3 or 4 of these

Small candles

Lamp oil

Tea bags

Chewing tobacco

few packs of cigs

Feminine supplies

Small tarp

Light weight collapsible shovel

Aluminum water bottles

carabiners

Old swiss army type knife with built in fork and spoon

leatherman multi tool

Latex gloves, leather gloves, and work gloves made of a mix of materials

A compass

US army survival manual (I also keep a second in the house and read it occasionally to keep the info fresh in my mind)

There is a bit more, but I can't remember it all without going through it.

In my truck I also carry a sleeping bag, tent, gas, water, car fluids and some other miscellaneous items.

That is all I can think of off the top of my head. Some items are redundant, some I may not need, or I could use as trades. Some have multiple uses. Luckily I have a truck with a camper shell that I keep my pack in. I also keep that pack wrapped in 4 garbage bags to protect it from moisture. I also keep a second set of truck keys in a hidden place.

All of this may seem overkill, but the San Andreas Fault is less than 1/4 mile from my house. A quake like the recent Japan event, a level 9 will take out everything in my area. So I may very well need this eventually. I also had friends that were in LA when Katrina hit, the stories they told me about having to survive were an eye opener. Think about what you need for your specific area. Most things are universal, but you may need specialized items depending on climate.

Depending on where you live a .22 rifle would make an excellent addition to your pack. In CA, you cant always carry in your car. But other states are not as strict as CA. .22 ammo is lightweight and can take most small game. I have made sure to have a gun for each family member, and made sure they know how to use them in case I am not around to help.  If looking for a good survival gun go with a .22. For something bigger go with 9mm luger, or 5.56 NATO, both of these calibers are used by our armed forces, so you can replenish your stock easier than the less common calibers.

Hope this helps in some way.

This is a Lying Cat, and Lying Cats always play by the rules...At least they're supposed to.

wasp

wasp

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationBay Area CA

To keep it leaner look at items that have multiple uses. Iodine can be used as disinfectant, water sanitizer, and a few other uses.

Rubbing alcohol can be used to start fires, disinfect, sanitize surfaces and more.

There are many more items like this. Other sites have tons of info on this subject.

Also think about what creature comforts you will have to abandon, I will miss deodorant and laundry detergent, but can live without it. We did fine as humans for thousands of years before most of the shit we think we need was invented.

This is a Lying Cat, and Lying Cats always play by the rules...At least they're supposed to.

wasp

wasp

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationBay Area CA

Oh, forgot the fishing line, hooks and other supplies for fishing. I keep a reel without a rod, you can make a rod.

Also think of things you can make yourself. You don't need to pack a spear, but with a broken knife or chunk of metal, some duct tape, paracord and tree branch one can be made.

Don't forget a few rolls of duct tape and garbage bags too. I may add more stuff I keep in the bag I have forgotten.

I R Biter

I R Biter

Biter

• Members
  • LocationSpace City

Always bring a towel.

Crossbow on the EL

Crossbow on the EL

Infected

• Members

I am retired Army, and I have a Sandpiper of California Bug Out Bag, I have had it for years and it went to AFG twice and not a dent.  I have seen two natural disasters, luckily I only saw the aftermath and know enough that keeping a bag full of supplies is not a bad idea.  People never think about it until it is too late.    :srug:

Rule #32 Gotta Enjoy the Little Things

guessit

guessit

Infected

• Members

It MUST have a frame, so that the weight is transferred to your hips. It must have a padded hipbelt and padded shoulder harness, with a chest strap, and quick release closures.  Keep the weight at no more than 25% of your body weight, including your weapons. , or it will soon result in your injury/illness to carry it.

You won't be up against ignorant, nomadic barbarians, who were no threat if you had cover, and kept  10 yds of distance, or 30 yds without cover. you'll be subject to being sniped by people 1/2 mile away from you, that you had no idea were present.

stick to either thick cover or dakness. Have a solar battery charger for your night vision goggles. You'll be many times safer. have silencers on your guns. Don't send up smoke in daylight, never show a light at night.

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!