Quality Drop Since 108

- - - - - All Out War Comics Ezekiel Negan

Dead Gov Walking

Dead Gov Walking

Roamer

• Members

Am I the only one who thinks the quality of the comic has taken a sharp nose dive ever since issue 108?

The dialog has been bad to flatout cringe-worthy

• "I BELIEVE IN RICK GRIMES"  (really any and all Rick Grimes d**k suck fest lines uttered) 
  • Just about every other line Negan says. When he first appeared, I found him to be really interesting, but lately, mostly during All-out War, his lines have seemed just soooo out of place, and sometimes really forced, like kirkman is trying to be all "LOOK GUYS! LOOK HOW WACKY AND ZANY NEGAN IS!" 
  • Pretty much a nitpick, but everytime someone says war. Really, the "WE'RE GOING TO WAR" and the "WAR IS HELL" type lines. They just don't sit right with me.

Zombies are pretty much no longer a threat. Really? A herd of zombies is just a slight f***in inconvenience now? (sanctuary attack). Sigh....

"but what about Denise and Shiva? ZOMBIES GOT THEM" 
Well that leads me to...

Characters. (Granted, this really goes back to when they first arrived at ASZ) Kirkman has too many characters on his plate, and he's not really fleshing any of them out. There's really not a single person from ASZ or Hilltop that I care anything about. Sure, there are a couple I'd like to learn more about/have Kirkman explore more like the Hilltop doctor whose brother is with the saviors, the lady who comforted Maggie in (I believe) issue 110, and Negan (up until recently, anyway). But other than that? Olivia, Zeke, Jesus, etc?

I feel like I'm coming off as waaay too negative lol.

I mean, I love the series and I'll continue to read it (though maybe not as long as I'd like, should the rumors of 127 starting things anew be true) but it's just not as good as it used to be. Not even close.

Officer_Friendly

Officer_Friendly

Roamer

• Members

While The Walking Dead may not be as good as it once was, I, for one, have thoroughly enjoyed All Out War thus far. Personally, I think it is the most interesting arc we've gotten in a long time, and I can't wait to see how it all ends.

HolySock

HolySock

Infected

• Members

I gotta disagree. I just reread March to War in one sitting and it's a pretty good read.

With the ASZ characters I think Kirkman killed off the some of the more interesting ones during No Way Out but didn't really develop the survivors after volume 15.

I think this is partly because of the introduction of the Hilltop, the Saviours and Ezekiel. The book suddenly became quite plot heavy and focused on the conflict with Negan. Unfortunately some of Kirkman's secondary characters have taken a back seat.

Maggie and Eugene are really the only two characters who have come into their own since the beginning of Negan's storyline.

Holly, Denise, Heath, Gabriel, Nicholas, Aaron, Eric, Rosita, Olivia. They all haven't had much to do so when All Out War rolls around the deaths don't sting like they did during the Governor's attack.

Fortunately Kirkman's acknowledged this in the Letter Hacks and starting with All Out War he seems to be giving a few of his secondary cast more screen time.

I think this will certainly continue after All Out War.

I also think a problem for some people has been catching of with TWD in larger sittings then switching to monthly issues. You seem the same with popular television programmes.

So where the quiet moments and sparse secondary character moments worked within collections, they become painfully obvious month after month.

So a very quiet issue can elicit a negative response. And people may have forgotten about smaller character moments or character development from only 4 or 6 issues ago. Nothing in a collection but that's 4 or 6 months in real time.

StarkExpanse

StarkExpanse

Lurker

• Members

They've been doing a good job with Ezekiel. Even being a relatively new character, he's easily one of the more developed characters and is quickly approaching the level of the main cast. His backstory and characterization have gotten some pretty generous screen-time.

But other than that? Olivia, Zeke, Jesus, etc?

Learning more about them may not interest you, but I and many others here will disagree on that. Didn't you say you wanted characters to be more fleshed out? That's how them becoming interesting has to start and that's still possible, as long as they're still alive.

Cthulhu42

Cthulhu42

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationR'lyeh
I agree on a few of those criticisms, like that a lot of the newer characters aren't very interesting (I can't say I really care about a single one of the Hilltop characters), and I do feel that AOW has been rather hit-and-miss so far, but overall I don't agree that the comic's quality has hit a low since 108. The three or four issues immediately preceding AOW are actually some of my favourites.

If there's any era of the comic weaker than the rest of the series, I'd say it's the early ASZ period (volumes 12-14).

HolySock

HolySock

Infected

• Members

I agree on a few of those criticisms, like that a lot of the newer characters aren't very interesting (I can't say I really care about a single one of the Hilltop characters), and I do feel that AOW has been rather hit-and-miss so far, but overall I don't agree that the comic's quality has hit a low since 108. The three or four issues immediately preceding AOW are actually some of my favourites.

If there's any era of the comic weaker than the rest of the series, I'd say it's the early ASZ period (volumes 12-14).

Really? I thought they were pretty great. Really showcased how detached, unhinged and crazy some of our characters had become. Especially Rick. A sort of PTSD.

I also thought Douglas was a pretty interesting character. Unfortunately he was a little underused.

And No Way Out was a genuinely exciting part of the story.

Neganite

Neganite

Biter

• Members
  • LocationNewcastle England

I think the comics been more interesting now than it has been in a long long time.

You want quality drop read 70-90, to me that was when my patience was tested the most with the comic, I think Kirkman is doing a great job with all out war and issue 100-114 build up was pretty great too. Il  be interested to see where the comic goes from 127 onwards.

HolySock

HolySock

Infected

• Members

I must be the only one who really liked Rick going crazy, No Way out, and Nicholas' little coup d'état.

NAGILLUM

NAGILLUM

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationCanada, eh!

I thought TWD has had a slight drop in quality during Volume 18, but I have to disagree with the two most recent volumes; March To War and All Out War part one. I've enjoyed AOW so far and it could be better, but it's definitely not bad.

Volume 19 has also been one of my favourites, so many good moments came from that volume.

- Negan holding Rick and co. captive outside Alexandria.

- Andrea vs Connor.

- Kal's Betrayal (Showed just how scared people are of Negan just be the mere mention of him)

- Spencer's Death (Obvious reasons lol)

But I have to disagree with a drop in quality since 108. I think it had one before 108, but not now.

Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past, or the present, are certain to miss the future.

Dead Gov Walking

Dead Gov Walking

Roamer

• Members

I was thinking about making this just about the 2 most recent volumes (mostly All Out War, March to War was pretty aiight) but then I thought I'd stretch it back to 108 because there were enough things to bother me to warrant it.

I guess I should have titled this "Inconsistent Quality since 108" lol

StarkExpanse

StarkExpanse

Lurker

• Members

I thought the series had it going very consistently good until around 105. Granted, I started the serise by marathoning the Compendiums and remaining Volume around the time Issue 100 was released. I thought the ASZ arc was very interesting and I liked everything about the cast having to readjust to a (relatively) normal life despite how dysfuntional they'd become with operating in a (relatively) normal society. Like how assigning Rick to be a peacekeeper was basically giving a vigilante an official badge, he'd been so accustomed to dealing with disorder by fighting and brutalizing for so long. And we saw what became of that.

The issues with the Monroe family and the climax with the zombie invasion were entertaining and they were doing enough with some of the ASZ characters to keep me engaged with them as extras. And as I said before, there was still a lot going on with the main cast. Hilltop was initially very interesting to me, too. Marathoning it, I didn't feel anything wrong.

However, and some of it is certainly due to me no longer being able to binge on the story anymore, the pacing hit a rut and the knowledge that the ASZ characters aren't developed enough to grieve for in the face of inevitable Savior-induced deaths kicked in. There also wasn't much happening with the longstanding cast, which is always the worst drag. I think AOW has been improving the character development and eventfulness over the last few Issues, though. Plus a few Issues have been pretty good and they've done quite a bit with Ezekiel. It's just a shame the story and a lot of the characters didn't feel quite set up enough for Negan, yet.

HolySock

HolySock

Infected

• Members

I thought the series had it going very consistently good until around 105. Granted, I started the serise by marathoning the Compendiums and remaining Volume around the time Issue 100 was released. I thought the ASZ arc was very interesting and I liked everything about the cast having to readjust to a (relatively) normal life despite how dysfuntional they'd become with operating in a (relatively) normal society. Like how assigning Rick to be a peacekeeper was basically giving a vigilante an official badge, he'd been so accustomed to dealing with disorder by fighting and brutalizing for so long. And we saw what became of that.

The issues with the Monroe family and the climax with the zombie invasion were entertaining and they were doing enough with some of the ASZ characters to keep me engaged with them as extras. And as I said before, there was still a lot going on with the main cast. Hilltop was initially very interesting to me, too. Marathoning it, I didn't feel anything wrong.

However, and some of it is certainly due to me no longer being able to binge on the story anymore, the pacing hit a rut and the knowledge that the ASZ characters aren't developed enough to grieve for in the face of inevitable Savior-induced deaths kicked in. There also wasn't much happening with the longstanding cast, which is always the worst drag. I think AOW has been improving the character development and eventfulness over the last few Issues, though. Plus a few Issues have been pretty good and they've done quite a bit with Ezekiel. It's just a shame the story and a lot of the characters didn't feel quite set up enough for Negan, yet.

I imagine it's a big reason. As you can see there are many people who binged the first compendium or so therefore the Alexandria arc seemed painfully slow for them.

You seem the same with tv shows. People would binge seasons of Breaking Bad and then declare the current season as slow and uneventful since they are forced to watch it one week at a time.

But I do believe the secondary characters should have been developed more previously. Negan essentially took over the storyline which doesn't allow for much development of the supporting cast.

The most we've had is from Maggie and Eugene. Although, I agree, All Out War seems to have allowed a bit more time on other characters.

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

Hallelujer! Im STILL Alive!

• Members

Welcome, HolySock! (I know your account is like a week old but this is the first time I've seen you post :P )

I can't speak for myself since I haven't read the comics since the beginning but someone like PorkTornado has. I also read the compendiums, so I haven't gone issue by issue, but reading each of them online shows that the older issues had a lot more going on. I'm not sure if this is how PorkTornado feels, so I won't speak for him, but I'm sure most longtime readers will agree that most of the older issues had more content and that instead of thinking, "I hope this issue is good" (like most do now, including myself), one would think, "This is gonna be good!"

So, yeah. It's been clear since the story hit ASZ that the story moves a lot slower, which kind of sucks, and I'm thinking Kirkman is wanting people to read these in TPB format.  Let's assume the story is 300 issues (I know Kirkman said it could go longer but I'm just doing this for the sake of argument. I've complained about this before, but a big problem with pacing is "hallmark issues." It's the same with the TV show. They feel like they need something big for a season/midseason finale, so they tread water and do nothing until they get to this point. Kirkman wanted to kill Glenn in issue 75, but he needed a big death for issue 100, so he moved it. That's why everything from issue 79-96 was relatively weak (wasn't a fan of No Way Out or the two volumes after. I did like watching Rick and co try to assimilate into ASZ, though. That was fucking awesome. It showed that even if the world ever went back to normal, the characters were too far gone to handle it (hence the name of the volume))

Kirkman also wanted something big for the ten year anniversary, so he prolonged the pre-war conflict with Negan

Now, All Out War is here. For the record, I have been enjoying it so far (the low points for me were 116 and 122) and I do think the story has addressed a lot of people's problems. There's massive character development for the ancillary cast, the war is in full swing, there are casualties (not big ones, but there would be no story if a big character was killed every arc), and it's seeming highly probable that we might lose our main character. However, it seems like something's off. Negan bombs Alexandria but the only people who die are people we've never heard of (he didn't even kill Barbara)? Because of this, it's hard to get immersed in the story. It feels like the cast is being saved for a later execution

Which is what brings me to another "hallmark" issue. Kirkman said he has big plans for 125. My guess is another massacre that's going to topple 48 in the quantity of deaths, but not the quality. We simply won't care as much. If we lose a big character, it'll be tragic. If we lose a character who's gotten a lot of development this arc, it'll be lost potential. If we lose a lot of Father Gabriels and Rositas, nobody gives a shit. Kirkman can't win because he fucked up developing the secondary cast too much before All Out War

Also, I know a lot of people want the series to go back to its roots and have a more intimate look at the zombie apocalypse, and while I'd like that too, it's not going to happen. It's a sad truth, but we can still be optimistic about the future. The story's become bigger with the introduction of all the new communities and to keep the story from becoming the same ol' shit, it will keep getting bigger. Kirkman said he has big plans for issue 200 (even though it could probably be sped up to 150 but I digress) so it's clear he has something mapped out. If you guys want the story the way it used to be, PLAY THE TELLTALE GAME OR READ SWEET TOOTH

Tl;dr: Kirkman is fucking up the pacing and flow of the story because of the "hallmark" issues and is focusing too much on the main characters instead of the secondary characters. Also, read Sweet Tooth

Imagine a group of a hundred motorcycles driving down a freeway. Eventually, they hit a junction. One road goes northwest and the other goes northeast. So one guy, we'll call him S, says, "Let's go northwest!" A mile past the intersection, a semi careens into the group and kills ninety of them. Ten are wounded, but they survive and keep going. Eventually, they hit 10,000 miles. S suddenly has his consciousness thrown into his past body right before the junction. Now, he says, "Let's go northeast!" All 100 bikers survive. Happily ever after, right? But what about the ten, no nine, who went northwest and survived? What happens to the reality they were living? Does it just disappear now that S has changed the past? It's not like only bad things happened on that 10,000 mile journey. Maybe one of them fell in love with a gas station attendant and got her pregnant or maybe one adopted a homeless kid that joined the adventure. That 10,000 mile journey would be full of stories. Romances, farewells, friendships...the loss of those ninety lives is horrible and unfortunate, but what would rewriting their history mean? The nine who survived lived full lives and did the best they could with the hand they were dealt. How could it be right to just erase all that? Isn't that worth something? Is there a point to a world where everything is happy? Are people who struggle for a better life just idiots? Being human is about fighting even when it seems hopeless and finding happiness in a world that hates it. Are you saying that's worthless?

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

• Members

I feel like I'm coming off as waaay too negative lol.

I mean, I love the series and I'll continue to read it (though maybe not as long as I'd like, should the rumors of 127 starting things anew be true) but it's just not as good as it used to be. Not even close.

I made a similar thread with some similar complaints (except it was before issue 111): http://www.roamersan...-it-used-to-be/

And don't worry if you're coming as negative. It's better to be a critic than a fanboy. I criticize everything I love

Officer_Friendly, on 06 Mar 2014 - 02:44 AM, said: 

While The Walking Dead may not be as good as it once was, I, for one, have thoroughly enjoyed All Out War thus far. Personally, I think it is the most interesting arc we've gotten in a long time, and I can't wait to see how it all ends.

Agreed. All Out War has fixed a lot of my complaints, but it's still flawed

They've been doing a good job with Ezekiel. Even being a relatively new character, he's easily one of the more developed characters and is quickly approaching the level of the main cast. His backstory and characterization have gotten some pretty generous screen-time.

I don't *like* Ezekiel but I'm interested in what they're doing with his character and glad they're giving focus to someone that's not Rick, Carl, or Michonne

I think volumes 14-16 represent the low of the series (12 and 13 were brilliant in my opinion, even though it was clear that the story was hitting a rut and the pacing got a lot slower) but I mostly agree with the rest. The issues after 108 are good for the most part. Some of them hit new layers of boring mediocrity and none reach the heights of volumes 3-11 (besides 113 and 120), but they are still good and I enjoy them

Really? I thought they were pretty great. Really showcased how detached, unhinged and crazy some of our characters had become. Especially Rick. A sort of PTSD.

I also thought Douglas was a pretty interesting character. Unfortunately he was a little underused.

And No Way Out was a genuinely exciting part of the story.

Agreed, except for the No Way Out part :/

I thought TWD has had a slight drop in quality during Volume 18, but I have to disagree with the two most recent volumes; March To War and All Out War part one. I've enjoyed AOW so far and it could be better, but it's definitely not bad.

Volume 19 has also been one of my favourites, so many good moments came from that volume.

- Negan holding Rick and co. captive outside Alexandria.

- Andrea vs Connor.

- Kal's Betrayal (Showed just how scared people are of Negan just be the mere mention of him)

- Spencer's Death (Obvious reasons lol)

But I have to disagree with a drop in quality since 108. I think it had one before 108, but not now.

Kal's betrayal was pretty shitty (IMO. Not knocking you). It felt like he just had to resolve the cheap cliffhanger we had at the end of the previous issue and the way it was handled was kind of sloppy

Also, I want to point out some great moments in my favorite volume of the series, volume 3:

-The group acquires the prison

-We meet the prisoners (AXEL!)

-Hershel, Glenn, and Maggie rejoin Rick's group 

-Julie dies. Tyreese kills Chris

-We find out everyone is infected

-Rick kills zombie Shane

-Thomas decapitates Rachel and Susie and Glenn shoots them

-Tyreese vs. the gym ("Rick, you're back. What kept you?")

-Andrea vs. Thomas (and the reveal that he's the killer)

-The group has to debate whether killing Thomas is morally right (might seem like a dumb thing to point out but reread the scene after the attack on Andrea. It's really good)

-Maggie kills Thomas

-Dexter tries to usurp Rick

Look at all that shit. A LOT happened in the previous volumes. This goes back to the amount of content in each issue that I pointed out earlier. A lot of the scenes I mentioned are some of the best moments of the series. We've had like two, MAYBE three amazing Walking Dead moments since 101

Imagine a group of a hundred motorcycles driving down a freeway. Eventually, they hit a junction. One road goes northwest and the other goes northeast. So one guy, we'll call him S, says, "Let's go northwest!" A mile past the intersection, a semi careens into the group and kills ninety of them. Ten are wounded, but they survive and keep going. Eventually, they hit 10,000 miles. S suddenly has his consciousness thrown into his past body right before the junction. Now, he says, "Let's go northeast!" All 100 bikers survive. Happily ever after, right? But what about the ten, no nine, who went northwest and survived? What happens to the reality they were living? Does it just disappear now that S has changed the past? It's not like only bad things happened on that 10,000 mile journey. Maybe one of them fell in love with a gas station attendant and got her pregnant or maybe one adopted a homeless kid that joined the adventure. That 10,000 mile journey would be full of stories. Romances, farewells, friendships...the loss of those ninety lives is horrible and unfortunate, but what would rewriting their history mean? The nine who survived lived full lives and did the best they could with the hand they were dealt. How could it be right to just erase all that? Isn't that worth something? Is there a point to a world where everything is happy? Are people who struggle for a better life just idiots? Being human is about fighting even when it seems hopeless and finding happiness in a world that hates it. Are you saying that's worthless?

StarkExpanse

StarkExpanse

Lurker

• Members

Imagine this: Kirkman kills all the main cast except maybe one, and the vast majority of the more prominent ASZ/Hilltop characters survive and are now the main cast and are fully fleshed out and focused on going forward. A "new beginning", so to speak. Your reaction?

Anyway, I didn't know that Kirkman wants to plot the story by long-term meta-checkpoints and that's why the pace has been slower. That especially doesn't sound like a very healthy way to go about an issue-by-issue comic, if you ask me. I got why the pacing got slower while reading Compendium 2, as of course being a full community there would be more casualness and structure and less eventful chaos, as the ASZ citizens also indicated, nor did it feel bad when I sped through it. But I guess now that I've been caught up for almost 2 years, I'm just feeling what every longtime fan has. I'm starting to think maybe I should just wait and read the volumes, even though I still very much like the series.

PorkTornado75

PorkTornado75

• Members
  • LocationAlexandria Safe Zone with Spencer`s pool table.

Welcome, HolySock! (I know your account is like a week old but this is the first time I've seen you post :P )

I can't speak for myself since I haven't read the comics since the beginning but someone like PorkTornado has. I also read the compendiums, so I haven't gone issue by issue, but reading each of them online shows that the older issues had a lot more going on. I'm not sure if this is how PorkTornado feels, so I won't speak for him, but I'm sure most longtime readers will agree that most of the older issues had more content and that instead of thinking, "I hope this issue is good" (like most do now, including myself), one would think, "This is gonna be good!"

I agree and you summed up my feels pretty well there Jebus nice job. 

Just think of it like this it goes in waves and has its ups and downs( i agree with most of the complaints about AOW so far and i have voiced some of my own) SUCH IS THE WAY OF LIFE. 

WAVES.........

tumblr_m766gnKMKn1qlu8tno1_400.gif

"Yeah, let's fuck this dog."

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

• Members

Imagine this: Kirkman kills all the main cast except maybe one, and the vast majority of the old ASZ/Hilltop characters survive and out now the main cast. Your reaction?

Anyway, I didn't know that Kirkman wants to plot the story by long-term meta-checkpoints and that's why the pace has been slower. That especially doesn't sound like a very healthy way to go about issue-by-issue comic, if you ask me.

I'd probably take a long break from the series at that point to be honest and maybe check it out another day in a library

And I don't know if that's how Kirkman plots it out, but it seems logical to me. He did admit that Glenn was moved to issue 100 to die (he gave the standard, "I wanted to do more with his character" response) but I think it's just cause he needed a big death. Anyway, that's just a theory, but I know other people here like Gracie agree to it (and sorry if I'm misquoting Gracie on that)

WAVES.........

tumblr_m766gnKMKn1qlu8tno1_400.gif

Lol

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

• Members

Double post. Please remove

PorkTornado75

PorkTornado75

• Members

Imagine this: Kirkman kills all the main cast except maybe one, and the vast majority of the old ASZ/Hilltop characters survive and out now the main cast. Your reaction?

Anyway, I didn't know that Kirkman wants to plot the story by long-term meta-checkpoints and that's why the pace has been slower. That especially doesn't sound like a very healthy way to go about issue-by-issue comic, if you ask me.

Most comic writers plot the story way in advance that's the way the industry works. 

PorkTornado75

PorkTornado75

• Members

Also nice SWEET TOOTH plug..........

Please read:

Sweet-Tooth-01-cov1.png

and get ready to see how a writer can tap into your real feels.....

tumblr_inline_mhpsptVCIc1qz4rgp.gif

StarkExpanse

StarkExpanse

Lurker

• Members

Most comic writers plot the story way in advance that's the way the industry works. 

I realize that stories should have foreplanning. I was only paraphrasing what JesusMonroe was saying. I should probably rephrase it.

I mean, I don't think it's very healthy to story where big plot points are artifically revolve around long-off, issue-based checkpoints for the sake of a big anniversary or hallmark installments outside of the context of the actual storyline or individual arcs. Exactly as JesusMonroe said, it hurts pacing.

PorkTornado75

PorkTornado75

• Members

I realize that stories should have foreplanning. I was only paraphrasing what JesusMonroe was saying. I should probably rephrase it.

I mean, I don't think it's very healthy to story where big plot points are artifically revolve around long-off checkpoints for the sake of a big anniversary or hallmark installments outside of the context of the actual story or arcs. Exactly as JesusMonroe said, it hurts pacing.

Got ya my misunderstanding....... 

StarkExpanse

StarkExpanse

Lurker

• Members

Got ya my misunderstanding....... 

My bad, I didn't phrase it very well.

MrBlahg

MrBlahg

Infected

• Members
  • LocationSF Bay Area, CA

Also nice SWEET TOOTH plug..........

Please read:

Sweet-Tooth-01-cov1.png

and get ready to see how a writer can tap into your real feels.....

tumblr_inline_mhpsptVCIc1qz4rgp.gif

I must second those feels... read Sweet Tooth.  You will not regret it.  And if you have any daddy issues at all, any of Jeff Lemire's works will leave you crumpled on the floor sobbing.  Love that guy.  PT, have you been reading Trillium?

PorkTornado75

PorkTornado75

• Members

I must second those feels... read Sweet Tooth.  You will not regret it.  And if you have any daddy issues at all, any of Jeff Lemire's works will leave you crumpled on the floor sobbing.  Love that guy.  PT, have you been reading Trillium?

I have not........adding to pull list.

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!