Nuclear Submarines In The Apocalypse

- - - - - electricity military virus survival firepower reclaim international ports sea ship

Andrew

Andrew

S-mart Employee

• Members

Nuclear powered submarines are designed to be self-contained vessels with self-sufficient systems that can keep their crew alive and capable of fighting major wars with rival superpowers, for months on end. A nuclear reactor on board that requires minimal maintenance, has huge reserves of power to drive a sub for a half-dozen trips around the world, and systems that are engineered to the mostest that multi-billion dollar R&D budgets can get, are probably a whole lot better than what even the most successful survivalists can access.

If a ZA happens, this virus probably mutated in the last couple days/weeks and started a flashpoint that multiplied exponentially. A typical combat patrol on a nuke sub lasts months, and most personnel were probably not exposed to the mutated virus.

Nuke subs have awesome engineering that was designed for a total apocalyptic scenario, against another nuclear-armed power, and the big boomers were designed to have firepower to wipe out entire nations. See the Wikipedia page on Ohio-class subs to learn more about these truly apocalyptic machines:

http://en.wikipedia....class_submarine

The Soviet equivalent of the Ohio class (sadly reaching the end of their life now):

http://en.wikipedia....class_submarine

The US Navy alone has over 10,000 Navy personnel on board their nuke subs, mostly untouched by the virus, able to destroy the world (or a Giga-Herd-infested city) on demand, with the best comm gear available, and some of the best military guys on the face of the earth. The submariners can stay cut off from civilization for months, and are always hyper-suspicious of signals from land, and are always, always ready. That is their job...if an enemy destroys every aspect of American civilization, they will exact vengeance on a Biblical scale.

Read "Russian", "British", "French", "Chinese", "Indian" instead of "American" depending on your flag...they all have nuke subs, in that order of firepower. Similar highly trained personnel, unlimited electricity, ultra-high level of suspicion, and massive firepower.

OK, now to the ZA. I say that nuke sub crew are the best-positioned to be the survivors of the Apocalypse, and areas that are totally overrun by walkers will be simply nuked out of existence (yeah, survivors have to deal with more radiation in the atmosphere...tough luck).

If a sub crew waits a few months until survivor groups establish a safe port, communicate with the survivors and then dock, can't that be a nucleus for reclaiming civilization? Multiply that by 100 nuke subs, with each captain making his own decision on which port to dock in (and nuking out the known mega-herds).

Maybe an international effort from submariners from all countries, or maybe just isolated fortresses with total military-grade command, control and communications.

Your thoughts?

Andrew

Andrew

S-mart Employee

• Members

Just a caveat: as submariners are exposed to The Mythical Virus/Whatever, they are susceptible to turn when they die.

It doesn't take extreme engineering (considering the already high level of self-sufficient engineering skills aboard a nuke sub, and unlimited power to drive a small manufacturing facility), to create explosive bracelets linked to the heartbeat...if X minutes go by without a heartbeat, the bracelet explodes a tiny charge enough to wipe out the head, and no more than the head. Just jury rig pacemakers with a small explosive charge, and make that the price of entry to the New World.

Land-side survivors have the women, and submariners (still 95-99% men) are among the most mentally-stable people that their governments can trust to pull the nuclear trigger, and wipe out an entire nation.

I mean, here we have a whole group of people that are trained for The Apocalypse (Cold War version), along with multi-billion $$ machines that can support them in their mission.

My vision is a nuke sub with power cables snaking out to an island with a well-developed economy and good farming potential, and crew members in gas masks occasionally coming on shore, in shifts, to maintain order among the civilians...

I welcome hearing about your thoughts on this type of scenario.

Gonza_Fes

Gonza_Fes

Lurker

• Members

in WWZ and Day by Day armaggeddom explore  people who survived in submarines... not the safest one in case  one of them die inside the submarine.. the spread of infection will be fast since they are not armed and who will suspect theres a zombie inside...

otherwise they will survivors unless the government send them in civilian rescue missions or field missions

in a ZA scenario people from the navy will be the ones that supposely might have more survivors ... army and air force member will be doomed 3 months after the outbreak 

thelastpaul

thelastpaul

Biter

• Members
  • LocationCalifornia

Very interesting post.

Bit > Lurker > Roamer > Put down by Scott Gimple. Goodbye R&L

DominusPisces

DominusPisces

Biter

• Members
  • LocationFlorida
Here's the problem... There is no known vector to have caused this in the first place. They found no virus. So God's wrath or The Necronomicon are still valid explanations. There would be NO way to isolate themselves from that. A Nuclear Reactor aboard a sub has 20 years worth of fuel. That means a nuclear sub has 20 years worth of fresh water, O2, (Onboard desalination and O2 production) Lights and heat with food storage being the only limiting factor. Currently, because limited space doesn't allow for separate sections for men and women, the only women allowed to serve on U.S. subs are crewmen that would get their own quarters (Like the Captain and I think the bursar to) since they wouldn't have to 'hot bunk' or swap out a room with a fellow submariner. So short of food runs and maybe the occasional repair part run a submarine is a good option so long as you have a night watch to make sure no one dies during the night and becomes a problem.

Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray thee Lord these bites aren't deep.
Should I die before I wake, I pray thee Lord, my skull they break.

DeadCave

DeadCave

Resident Scribe

• *Members*
  • LocationUtah

I am thinking that the officers and crew of military submarines from around the world would likely (if they're out at sea to begin with and not in berth) survive, initially. A majority of the crew are young, strong and healthy, definite prerequisites to get assigned to one. 
Aircraft Carriers and other warships would also contain a host of survivors, including women since berthing quarters aren't in short supply on those huge ships. All they have to do is ensure that they're not going to dock in a hot-zone. Carriers could last longer as they have helicopters which can fly supply runs and have air support in case it gets bad. 
Wondering why nobody has attempted a movie or a book based on this scenario. A strict captain making sure the outbreak doesn't come aboard. 
Am guessing that the executive branch would be loaded onto one of these vessels, so at least the command portion of the military isn't wholly wiped out... just severely decimated.

69% of the people find something dirty in everything they read.  http://http://www.gofundme.com/c66cv4

DominusPisces

DominusPisces

Biter

• Members
  • LocationFlorida
The vast majority of stories that deal with failed safe havens always seem to start with a bite victim hiding his wound. I think a policy of "If you are found to be bitten, you will be allowed to come home. Be given comfort and support and love and be allowed to find peace with your family, friends and what ever God or gods you believe in, and be allowed to die in the manner of your choosing." If these havens did this, then people bitten wouldn't hide it, and the surprise zombie in the night wouldn't destroy a city that took years to make in one night.

DeadCave

DeadCave

Resident Scribe

• *Members*
  • LocationUtah

The vast majority of stories that deal with failed safe havens always seem to start with a bite victim hiding his wound. I think a policy of "If you are found to be bitten, you will be allowed to come home. Be given comfort and support and love and be allowed to find peace with your family, friends and what ever God or gods you believe in, and be allowed to die in the manner of your choosing." If these havens did this, then people bitten wouldn't hide it, and the surprise zombie in the night wouldn't destroy a city that took years to make in one night.

Well, there is that. But if you remember Jim, it was long and excruciating. 
Basically the safe havens need to have everyone that comes in, stand naked and turn around before being allowed to pass the gate. No bites then okay, c'mon in and lessee what you can contribute. 

69% of the people find something dirty in everything they read.  http://http://www.gofundme.com/c66cv4

Andrew

Andrew

S-mart Employee

• Members
Or you wear an explosive necktie linked to your heartbeat...no beats means your head gets blown off your shoulders.

Well, there is that. But if you remember Jim, it was long and excruciating. 
Basically the safe havens need to have everyone that comes in, stand naked and turn around before being allowed to pass the gate. No bites then okay, c'mon in and lessee what you can contribute.

Andrew

Andrew

S-mart Employee

• Members

I am thinking that the officers and crew of military submarines from around the world would likely (if they're out at sea to begin with and not in berth) survive, initially. A majority of the crew are young, strong and healthy, definite prerequisites to get assigned to one. 
Aircraft Carriers and other warships would also contain a host of survivors, including women since berthing quarters aren't in short supply on those huge ships. All they have to do is ensure that they're not going to dock in a hot-zone. Carriers could last longer as they have helicopters which can fly supply runs and have air support in case it gets bad. 
Wondering why nobody has attempted a movie or a book based on this scenario. A strict captain making sure the outbreak doesn't come aboard. 
Am guessing that the executive branch would be loaded onto one of these vessels, so at least the command portion of the military isn't wholly wiped out... just severely decimated.

So that implies that there are THOUSANDS of well-stocked, heavily-armed, highly technical, healthy and responsible people still alive in Rick's world, with powerful communications equipment that can pick up radio signals and zero in on the signals. These ships and submarines also have doctors , engineers and, often, scientists on board. It should be only a matter of time before a land-based survivor group makes contact with the Navy.

So survivors should head for the coast, especially towards a Navy port, because that's where the crews would want to go, for their parts and maintenance facilities.

DominusPisces

DominusPisces

Biter

• Members
  • LocationFlorida

So that implies that there are THOUSANDS of well-stocked, heavily-armed, highly technical, healthy and responsible people still alive in Rick's world, with powerful communications equipment that can pick up radio signals and zero in on the signals. These ships and submarines also have doctors , engineers and, often, scientists on board. It should be only a matter of time before a land-based survivor group makes contact with the Navy.

So survivors should head for the coast, especially towards a Navy port, because that's where the crews would want to go, for their parts and maintenance facilities.

I have come to find that sailing is the life for me and I will gladly kill your friend the maggot. Naval yards would be good, assuming they aren't already overrun. Military are retarded in these stories. But a yard would afford many opportunities like the prison. There might be a commissary, hospital and a machine shop if the base is attached. If the generator is intact the equipment might work enough to make a wall out of the cargo containers. Since it IS the military I'm sure their supplies are designed to last. Hell they might find an entire container of MREs.

Andrew

Andrew

S-mart Employee

• Members

I have come to find that sailing is the life for me and I will gladly kill your friend the maggot. Naval yards would be good, assuming they aren't already overrun. Military are retarded in these stories. But a yard would afford many opportunities like the prison. There might be a commissary, hospital and a machine shop if the base is attached. If the generator is intact the equipment might work enough to make a wall out of the cargo containers. Since it IS the military I'm sure their supplies are designed to last. Hell they might find an entire container of MREs.

In fact, just boarding a big ship 200 feet off the pier, in a Navy yard, might be a good idea. All the benefits of being in an istand fort plus the benefits of land supplies. Even if a herd approaches, the walkers (floaters?) will just float away - keep a lookout to make sure nothing is climbing up the anchor chain.

DeadCave

DeadCave

Resident Scribe

• *Members*
  • LocationUtah

Likewise most sailors have their families near the docks/base/port so they're going to want to see if possibly their families have made it. 
Yeah even a ship at dry dock is not easily accessible, and one can always pull up the gang-plank during the evening to reduce the number of people on watch. 
Far as the anchor chain goes... walkers don't seem to be that dexterous nor inclined to do something like that. Human survivors maybe and that's where you go down to where they keep the grease for the main propeller shaft and smear that on one or two links of chain of the anchor. 

Lee.hag

Lee.hag

Infected

• Members

very interesting topic and i do remember that certain chapter from WWZ

good read guys

DominusPisces

DominusPisces

Biter

• Members
  • LocationFlorida

Likewise most sailors have their families near the docks/base/port so they're going to want to see if possibly their families have made it. 
Yeah even a ship at dry dock is not easily accessible, and one can always pull up the gang-plank during the evening to reduce the number of people on watch. 
Far as the anchor chain goes... walkers don't seem to be that dexterous nor inclined to do something like that. Human survivors maybe and that's where you go down to where they keep the grease for the main propeller shaft and smear that on one or two links of chain of the anchor.

NEVER reduce the number of eyes watching for threats outside and in. Noah and the Rat Whisperer slammed that lesson home in the prison.

guessit

guessit

Infected

• Members

while I agree for a real world scenario, what is supposed to keep the zeds from rotting, folks? Why would there be any of them left after a few months? I wouldn't worry about them at all. It's the LIVE people who are the threat. They will fear you and they will not want your competition for scarce resources. They are the ones who will blow you up, shoot you, poison you, etc. One live man is at least potentially 1000x more dangerous than any number of zeds.

DeadCave

DeadCave

Resident Scribe

• *Members*
  • LocationUtah

while I agree for a real world scenario, what is supposed to keep the zeds from rotting, folks? Why would there be any of them left after a few months? I wouldn't worry about them at all. It's the LIVE people who are the threat. They will fear you and they will not want your competition for scarce resources. They are the ones who will blow you up, shoot you, poison you, etc. One live man is at least potentially 1000x more dangerous than any number of zeds.

True but gaining access to a closed military base, much less a major vessel is about as dangerous (during war time-- and the ZA would be considered "war-time") as the "one live man." If the ships were out at sea then came back to roost, or dock temporarily for whatever reason, then they would have "Marine Patrols", which are basically the police-officers of whatever ship they're aboard. The bases/docks are usually policed by Shore Patrol, naval sailors. During a ZA, I'd imagine that Marines would be dispatched to said docks to reinforce security. 
As mentioned however, the military in practically every ZA story are ineffective against the oncoming hordes; so the docks would be compromised and too dangerous to attempt docking. 
Even civilian docks would be too dangerous, i.e. cruise ships, large yachts, etc.  

guessit

guessit

Infected

• Members

they'd have to put in (or at least, send in inflatable boats) SOMEWHERE, within 6 months, due to the fact that they can't carry enough food to last longer than that. Many sailors would be demanding the opportunity to check on their families. many bases will be overrun by zeds, which is why you'll have the CHANCE to score stuff you need at the bases. :-) Normally, bases would be the last place that you could access, because they will be guarded to the end, by troops stationed there and who are determined to keep those resources for themselves

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!