Other Skybound Titles

* * * * * 1 Skybound Recommendations Invincible Manifest Destiny Image

DreaM

DreaM

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationWith the waste

I joined this forum to see if I could answer any questions and then saw this thread and now I can't resist, so if you'll allow me a moment, I need to shamelessly plug our other books besides The Walking Dead like Invincible, Manifest Destiny, Dead Body Road, Ghosted, Super Dinosaur, Invincible Universe, Thief of Thieves, Clone, etc. Are you guys reading these too?

If I could only recommend two (and why on Earth would you limit me to something like that?) I'd go with Invincible (also written by the boss-man Robert Kirkman) and Manifest Destiny (from Chris Dingess and Matt Roberts).

Invincible is like a meta-take on Superman, only if Superman were sent to Earth to enslave it, and his teenage son found out right when he started getting his powers. And then other Kryptons showed up and stomachs were punched through and spines were ripped out. It is epic and has only gotten better as it's gone on. Ryan Ottley has been on art duties for about 100 issues and in my opinion, he's one of the top artists working today. Issue 108 just came out and it is a game changer. I've been waiting for proofs for 109 for weeks.

Manifest Destiny is one of our newer titles. It's the "true" story of Lewis and Clark as they venture west under the guise of exploring the new frontier and establishing relationships with Native Americans. Their real mission? Find, learn about, and destroy all kinds of mythological beasts. The first episode is a little wordy, but the second and third issues just amp up the action and story. Sacagawea is a total bad ass.   

When I first consulted at Skybound they gave me Invincible Compendium 1 and I did not put that s**t down until my wrists were about to snap. Do I get in trouble if I say I like it more than The Walking Dead, even?

To prove I'm not totally biased toward Skybound titles, I also love Black Science (Matteo Scalera is a beast--he also draws Dead Body Road for us), Saga, Chew, Snyder and Murphy's The Wake, Fraction and Aja's Hawkeye, and I think the Born Again arc from Daredevil is the best thing in comic history. I also cut my teeth on the Uncanny X-Men, Daredevil, and the Amazing Spider-Man. I mostly read Image titles now because A) I'm a company man, B) I get them for free, and C) I like the smaller universe, with titles that aren't in the 300s or have characters spread over 10 different books each month. 

So anyway, TL:DR, read some other Skybound titles so I can keep my job (and visit us on www.thewalkingdead.com and www.skybound.com). Ima go browse more of the forum to see if you guys say anything nice about these books!

And, uh, hi guys!

-brian

Online Director, Skybound

Welcome Brian. Nice to have an insider around. I'm reading at least half the Image catalogue right now and really enjoy some of the titles you mentioned. Manifest Destiny is great. I agree with Gracie about the art and dialogue. And I like the main characters a lot.

I have also really been enjoying Clone. The art isn't my favourite (I like the realism but everyone looks dirty. Like they literally have dirt all over their faces) but the story is fantastic. I am relatively new to comics but the premise is quite unique. And I like when things get a little political. Very excited to find out what happens with the female clones.

Invincible is one that I have not read yet. It was quite far along by the time I started reading and so haven't picked up yet. I was resistant to supers at first, but I have dabbled with a few (Super Crooks, Brilliant, Luther Strode, Bounce, Sidekick) so now I am willling to read any that don't take themselves too seriously.

"Who is the mother fuckingest of all the mother fuckers? This girl!" - Petra, Legacy of Luther Strode

TheLibrarian

TheLibrarian

Lurker

• Members

Welcome Brian.

LATE. D:

Sorry.

I'm So Meta, Even This Acronym

brad192944

brad192944

Infected

• Members

Hey guys what would say is the best series kirkman has ever done besides walking dead and invincible?

BeauL83

BeauL83

Biter

• Members
  • LocationAustralia
A very belated welcome to you Brian.
I Believe In Rick Grimes

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!