Other Skybound Titles

* * * * * 1 Skybound Recommendations Invincible Manifest Destiny Image

bhuntington

bhuntington

Infected

• Members
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

I joined this forum to see if I could answer any questions and then saw this thread and now I can't resist, so if you'll allow me a moment, I need to shamelessly plug our other books besides The Walking Dead like Invincible, Manifest Destiny, Dead Body Road, Ghosted, Super Dinosaur, Invincible Universe, Thief of Thieves, Clone, etc. Are you guys reading these too?

If I could only recommend two (and why on Earth would you limit me to something like that?) I'd go with Invincible (also written by the boss-man Robert Kirkman) and Manifest Destiny (from Chris Dingess and Matt Roberts).

Invincible is like a meta-take on Superman, only if Superman were sent to Earth to enslave it, and his teenage son found out right when he started getting his powers. And then other Kryptons showed up and stomachs were punched through and spines were ripped out. It is epic and has only gotten better as it's gone on. Ryan Ottley has been on art duties for about 100 issues and in my opinion, he's one of the top artists working today. Issue 108 just came out and it is a game changer. I've been waiting for proofs for 109 for weeks.

Manifest Destiny is one of our newer titles. It's the "true" story of Lewis and Clark as they venture west under the guise of exploring the new frontier and establishing relationships with Native Americans. Their real mission? Find, learn about, and destroy all kinds of mythological beasts. The first episode is a little wordy, but the second and third issues just amp up the action and story. Sacagawea is a total bad ass.   

When I first consulted at Skybound they gave me Invincible Compendium 1 and I did not put that s**t down until my wrists were about to snap. Do I get in trouble if I say I like it more than The Walking Dead, even?

To prove I'm not totally biased toward Skybound titles, I also love Black Science (Matteo Scalera is a beast--he also draws Dead Body Road for us), Saga, Chew, Snyder and Murphy's The Wake, Fraction and Aja's Hawkeye, and I think the Born Again arc from Daredevil is the best thing in comic history. I also cut my teeth on the Uncanny X-Men, Daredevil, and the Amazing Spider-Man. I mostly read Image titles now because A) I'm a company man, B) I get them for free, and C) I like the smaller universe, with titles that aren't in the 300s or have characters spread over 10 different books each month. 

So anyway, TL:DR, read some other Skybound titles so I can keep my job (and visit us on www.thewalkingdead.com and www.skybound.com). Ima go browse more of the forum to see if you guys say anything nice about these books!

And, uh, hi guys!

-brian

Online Director, Skybound

gracie lou

gracie lou

Glenn Groupie

• Members
  • Locationunder the comic covers

Welcome to Roamers and Lurkers, Brian. Cool to have someone in the comics industry here.

Plenty of us do read other Skybound and Image titles. The non-TWD comic sub-forum is a fairly new area, but I know we have threads dedicated to some of the titles you mentioned. We discuss many more in the What's on your pull list this week? thread. I know DreaM, one of our members, has really been enjoying Manifest Destiny. My podcast co-host just picked it up, as well, and has nothing but good things to say about the series (I really need to pick it up). Also, tons of love for many of the Image titles that you mentioned.

Hope you stick around to join in some of the discussions! We love recommendations around here, and have turned each other on to several different series. Having other people to discuss what we are reading with makes it all the more fun!!

Again, welcome. :)

PorkTornado75

PorkTornado75

Hallelujer! Im STILL Alive!

• Members
  • LocationAlexandria Safe Zone with Spencer`s pool table.
Welcome to the boards!

Everyone that posts in here are huge comic fans , I read most of the books you have mentioned.

Glad to have you !

"Yeah, let's fuck this dog."

bhuntington

bhuntington

Infected

• Members

Thanks guys! I will do my best! It's been busy around the office with all the new Escape ramping up again and the show airing. 

PorkTornado75

PorkTornado75

• Members
Can you make them release NoWhere Men faster.......lol

gracie lou

gracie lou

Glenn Groupie

• Members

One more week!!!!! I can't wait! :D

MrBlahg

MrBlahg

Infected

• Members
  • LocationSF Bay Area, CA

Hello and welcome Brian,

I am the podcasting co-host that Gracie Lou mentioned, and I just read the first two issues of Manifest Destiny last night and am itching to grab the other two as soon as possible.  As a history buff, I was delighted to see something done with such an underrated and under-represented piece of historical significance... and given such a creative and amazing twist.

We are also huge fans of Saga and Chew, and I'm trying to talk Grace into reading Clone (really... you should, it's a cool series).  Although we are only currently covering each issue of The Walking Dead on our podcast (and since Grace was so humble as to not promote it... allow me, it's Under the Comic Covers), we are hoping to expand to other titles (specifically the aforementioned Saga and Chew)... and that may happen sooner rather than later.

I would love to chew your ear (see what I did there) sometime and discuss some of the other Skybound titles that we could potentially cover on the cast.  Always happy to promote great material.

Thanks...

Mr. Blahg

PorkTornado75

PorkTornado75

• Members
I KNOW!!!! I cant wait anymore!!

MrBlahg

MrBlahg

Infected

• Members
  • LocationSF Bay Area, CA

Btw... I ran the Escape last July in San Diego... what a great experience that was!  I made it through unscathed... but hurled once I made it out.  That beer beforehand was not a good idea....

Koibito

Koibito

Biter

• Members
  • LocationIn a Gangsta's Paradise ♪♫

Nice to meet you. Fun to meet somebody in the business. 

I hope we'll see you around the forums...And I mean all of them. You seem like an great addition to our little slice of heaven.

And...well, apart from Modesty Blaise and other thriller-like comics (and TWD and the American Vampire, I dont read much comics...or well, I read alot of comics, I just dont read many different titles.. But I will try to check the one you mentioned out sometime.)

bd629b0375becac7160e1d2f9cb1fae26e9b1917

bhuntington

bhuntington

Infected

• Members

You know what's funny/sad? I've been so busy I haven't even read Nowhere Men yet. I'm going to rectify this week. 

PorkTornado75

PorkTornado75

• Members

You know what's funny/sad? I've been so busy I haven't even read Nowhere Men yet. I'm going to rectify this week. 

It really is my current favorite and i am going to rectify the fact i have not read Manifest Destiny yet.........

Although i am all caught up on Think Tank !

bhuntington

bhuntington

Infected

• Members

Btw... I ran the Escape last July in San Diego... what a great experience that was!  I made it through unscathed... but hurled once I made it out.  That beer beforehand was not a good idea....

Beer is always a good idea. We recently acquired the Escape from the company we were working with before, so we're totally in charge of it now, which means a lot more marketing stuff is on our plate. I'm currently working on revamping the awful thewalkingdeadescape.com site to make it possibly less awful. 

gypsyrose

gypsyrose

Biter

• Members
  • LocationHolly's room

Welcome Brian. I share the same love for Invincible as well as other skybound titles.  Looking forward to hearing more from you.

bhuntington

bhuntington

Infected

• Members

Hello and welcome Brian,

I am the podcasting co-host that Gracie Lou mentioned, and I just read the first two issues of Manifest Destiny last night and am itching to grab the other two as soon as possible.  As a history buff, I was delighted to see something done with such an underrated and under-represented piece of historical significance... and given such a creative and amazing twist.

We are also huge fans of Saga and Chew, and I'm trying to talk Grace into reading Clone (really... you should, it's a cool series).  Although we are only currently covering each issue of The Walking Dead on our podcast (and since Grace was so humble as to not promote it... allow me, it's Under the Comic Covers), we are hoping to expand to other titles (specifically the aforementioned Saga and Chew)... and that may happen sooner rather than later.

I would love to chew your ear (see what I did there) sometime and discuss some of the other Skybound titles that we could potentially cover on the cast.  Always happy to promote great material.

Thanks...

Mr. Blahg

I'll give this a listen right now. 

Clone suffered a bit from a slow beginning, but I really love Juan Jose's art and I've been behind that for a while. We're trying really hard to get it to TV.

I'll shoot you a message right now if I can figure out how to do that...

-b.

bhuntington

bhuntington

Infected

• Members

Welcome Brian. I share the same love for Invincible as well as other skybound titles.  Looking forward to hearing more from you.

Is that a Battle Beast avatar?!

gracie lou

gracie lou

Glenn Groupie

• Members

It's not a quick read, but so worth it.

I'll give this a listen right now. 

Clone suffered a bit from a slow beginning, but I really love Juan Jose's art and I've been behind that for a while. We're trying really hard to get it to TV.

I'll shoot you a message right now if I can figure out how to do that...

-b.

Great. Thanks, Brian.

gypsyrose

gypsyrose

Biter

• Members
  • LocationHolly's room

Is that a Battle Beast avatar?!

Yes it is. I have loved battle beast since day one.  I wrote in and got published in 108. 

Brian, are you caught up with Invincible? Can't wait 

Spoiler

bhuntington

bhuntington

Infected

• Members

It's not a quick read, but so worth it.

Great. Thanks, Brian.

The Episode 131 link isn't working for me...

bhuntington

bhuntington

Infected

• Members

Yes it is. I have loved battle beast since day one.  I wrote in and got published in 108. 

Brian, are you caught up with Invincible? 

I am indeed. I can't wait to get proofs of 109. Hoping for next week. I wish that book weren't running behind schedule. 

gracie lou

gracie lou

Glenn Groupie

• Members

The Episode 131 link isn't working for me...

Thank you for telling me. I will fix it on that page. This should work.

edit: Also, here is a link to all our most recent episodes.

bhuntington

bhuntington

Infected

• Members

Thank you for telling me. I will fix it on that page. This should work.

edit: Also, here is a link to all our most recent episodes.

Thanks Gracie!

I_Follow_You_Axel

I_Follow_You_Axel

You Follow Me?

• Moderators
  • LocationWhere Dave Met Tony

So anyway, TL:DR, read some other Skybound titles so I can keep my job (and visit us on www.thewalkingdead.com and www.skybound.com). Ima go browse more of the forum to see if you guys say anything nice about these books!

And, uh, hi guys!

-brian

Online Director, Skybound

Welcome Brian! We always have good stuff to say about comics here, especially the Walking Dead. Stick around for a while, we don't bite. And you can laugh at all of our PorkTorando's crackpot theories on where the book is going!

"I ain't walking out to the woods to get my pecker bit off by a roamer, you follow me?"
- Axel (Who else, really?)

PorkTornado75

PorkTornado75

• Members

ZING !

zing-o.gif

gracie lou

gracie lou

Glenn Groupie

• Members

I picked up Manifest Destiny the other day when I went to my LCS. Well, actually, I picked up #3 because that was all that they had left, and then came home and bought a digital copy of  #1, #2, and #4 through Image.

I'm not sure why I was a bit hesitant to pick up this title, despite hearing good things about it, because I've always been a fan of historical fiction, but I'm glad I did. I thought it was a great read and the art works so well with the dialogue. The creatures that they have encountered so far are just gorgeously drawn and terrifying at the same time. Also, there is just the right amount of humorous dialogue in this otherwise very serious story. Totally recommend this. I've already added it to my pull list.

Thanks for the recommendation, guys.

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!