Daryl Has To Die. Bring It On Fan Girls :p (Comic Spoilers)

- - - - - Daryl Tyreese Abraham Jesus

Neganite

Neganite

Biter

• Members
  • LocationNewcastle England

Ok guys I know this is like running through an airport shouting Jihad but hear me out before you start lighting your torches and sharpening your pitchforks.

For me Daryl's continued survival is detrimental to the character development of several major characters. Daryl has had the coveted spot of Ricks right hand man since about season 2 now. This is all well and good but Daryl hogging this role means that other characters from the comic coming in are left directionless.

Firstly Tyreese. Now in the comic Tyreese comes into the fold a lot earlier (issue 7 if memory serves), and pretty quickly becomes Ricks right hand man. Tyreese in this role became a huge fan favourite, and Rick and Tyreese's relationship was an interesting one. Despite liking and respecting each other, the fact that Tyreese had influence on Rick meant that when they disagreed we got to see a great dynamic between them where they come to blows. Including an epic fist fight that ends with the two barrelling over a railing to the floor below. So when during the Governors final assault on the prison

Spoiler
  not only is it devastating to see it leaves Rick without his closest confidant.

However in the TV show, Tyreese came in swinging with all his hammer wielding glory but spent his time hanging around with that woman whose name I don't know, fannying around in woodbury looking confused, pulling his :0 face when two people who I didn't care about got served extra crispy by Carol. He is directionless. Its all well and good bringing in characters from the comic but if their story and position has already been filled its kinda redundant.

Casting spoiler:

Spoiler
and is pretty much a dick in general. However he becomes someone Rick trusts with his life, especially after a particularly harrowing adventure on the road with him and Carl. So again when
Spoiler

Finally Jesus. Jesus is Ricks current right hand and possibly the most badass character in comic history. He is 100% team Rick. He believes not only is Rick a  great leader but Rick has what it takes to change this world for the better and stands by him as they face oblivion heading into war with (my favourite character and avatar) Negan.

So back to Daryl. Daryl is hugely popular with the ladies and selected gentleman. He is a moneymaker when it comes to merchandise, and those hugely annoying 'if daryl dies we riot' posts are springing up everywhere like a pimple on prom night. But the fact is, there are many many many epic and badass characters in the walking dead world. But if Daryl sticks around forever (which we know he will. Yea that's right I call bullshit on the 'nobody is safe' thing) we will never get the most out of these characters when we meet them.

I can take the hate if you feel its warranted but that's what I think.

So Iv rambled on enough for one post, Ta Ta.

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

Hallelujer! Im STILL Alive!

• Members

Ok

Imagine a group of a hundred motorcycles driving down a freeway. Eventually, they hit a junction. One road goes northwest and the other goes northeast. So one guy, we'll call him S, says, "Let's go northwest!" A mile past the intersection, a semi careens into the group and kills ninety of them. Ten are wounded, but they survive and keep going. Eventually, they hit 10,000 miles. S suddenly has his consciousness thrown into his past body right before the junction. Now, he says, "Let's go northeast!" All 100 bikers survive. Happily ever after, right? But what about the ten, no nine, who went northwest and survived? What happens to the reality they were living? Does it just disappear now that S has changed the past? It's not like only bad things happened on that 10,000 mile journey. Maybe one of them fell in love with a gas station attendant and got her pregnant or maybe one adopted a homeless kid that joined the adventure. That 10,000 mile journey would be full of stories. Romances, farewells, friendships...the loss of those ninety lives is horrible and unfortunate, but what would rewriting their history mean? The nine who survived lived full lives and did the best they could with the hand they were dealt. How could it be right to just erase all that? Isn't that worth something? Is there a point to a world where everything is happy? Are people who struggle for a better life just idiots? Being human is about fighting even when it seems hopeless and finding happiness in a world that hates it. Are you saying that's worthless?

GirlsDeadMonster

GirlsDeadMonster

Biter

• Members
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Unfortunately, I can't say anything about the comics because I don't read them but I do know that the comic and TV series are two different entities that can stand on their own. I'm not a Daryl fan girl but I do enjoy the dynamic of his character. Of course Rick would have been the leader being in a leadership role when the world was normal but this ZA allowed a person like Daryl to also step into a leadership role when the normal world shunned him. I like his character development and everyone likes a reluctant hero. I would agree with you on Tyreese's character. I did love how he held on to his moral character even in the face of the Gov, but I didn't like how he seemed so lost at the beginning of Season 4. He couldn't find his place and his relationship with Karen didn't give her enough screen time for us to feel bad that she was killed but it did allow for Tyreese to change. But I digress, I can't really see Daryl dying now he's too much of a survivalist to be taken out now. What I do see for him is he could lose everyone he's come to care about and be alone again. That would probably be his hell even though he may not admit it.

I don't have to outrun walkers, I just have to outrun you!
Highschool Of The Dead full 240316

buzzfactory

buzzfactory

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationUk

I agree, I used to love Daryl, found him a really complex and interesting character, I loved it when he started coming into his own an being part of the group, then something happened towards the end of S3, where it just seemed like he'd changed too much then in s4 i felt he was unrecognizable, and all the superman stuff started getting unbelievable (I never questioned all his death defying events before - I think the more they happened the more unbelievable they became.) I just feel hes so far from Daryl these days that i'd rather see him die now an remember him in a good way than just see him survive season after season becoming less and less interesting and entertaining. 

Valleyaggie

Valleyaggie

Biter

• Members
  • LocationSouth Texas

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"My mind is my weapon ... and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

Neganite

Neganite

Biter

• Members

I think the problem with that is that Daryl was always better before he was the fan favourite. Now he is almost just like a super hero rather than a three dimensional believable character. I loved Daryl in seasons 1 and 2, I just think the show is too reliable on him these days

Neganite

Neganite

Biter

• Members

Haha sorry Ayra please don't stick me with Needle

Valleyaggie

Valleyaggie

Biter

• Members
  • LocationSouth Texas

Haha sorry Ayra please don't stick me with Needle

I won't. But if you kill off Daryl, I'm going to kill off Maggie. Just sayin'.  :zombie02:

"My mind is my weapon ... and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators

I agree, I used to love Daryl, found him a really complex and interesting character, I loved it when he started coming into his own an being part of the group, then something happened towards the end of S3, where it just seemed like he'd changed too much then in s4 i felt he was unrecognizable, and all the superman stuff started getting unbelievable (I never questioned all his death defying events before - I think the more they happened the more unbelievable they became.) I just feel hes so far from Daryl these days that i'd rather see him die now an remember him in a good way than just see him survive season after season becoming less and less interesting and entertaining. 

That pretty much sums up my feelings.

Very doubtful if it would happen, but I'd like to see

TWD Game ***major spoiler***

Spoiler

I R Biter

I R Biter

Biter

• Members
  • LocationSpace City

Maybe Rick could die, and the story could follow Daryl.

*ducks*

That Guy

That Guy

Biter

• Members
  • LocationBumfuck, Nowhere

Too%2Blong%2Bdidn%2Bt%2Bread.%2BI%2Blove

Lukey

Lukey

Biter

• Members
  • LocationCroatia

Maybe Rick could die, and the story could follow Daryl.

*ducks*

Hmmm...

Daisy

Daisy

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationMount Doom

So he has to die so other characters can step up like they do in the comics? Characters can step up regardless, it all depends on what the writers do with them, so in this sense Daryl's position and relationship with Rick doesn't really impact the way other characters are. Also Rick can have more than one right hand man, he could have several, he could have an army really. In fact, it's nice to see different relationships with different people. All that happened in the comics could still happen in the show, if the writers decided to go down that route, I really don't see how Daryl prevents it from happening.

With this said, I understand that for a comic reader (I'm not) Daryl could be annoying, because he takes space that could be given to comics' characters. Like, when in GoT Ygritte, who is very minor in the books, gets all that screen time that could be given to others who actually deserves it because they're bigger characters, it pisses me off. But that's adaptations for you, sometimes they're nothing like the source material. I very much doubt they'll get rid of Daryl just yet.

I got me some horses to ride on, to ride on.

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

• Members

Alright. I'll actually add to the discussion now

To be honest, I don't really see any problem with Daryl living. I get tired of him being a superhero, but I don't really think he needs to die. The writers can easily fix him. It's not like he's too far gone (ba dum tss).

And why does everyone think death=development? That doesn't seem to be true on the TV show 90% of the time (moreso the comics). The people on the TV show usually develop through being placed in dangerous situations and having to question their morality/beliefs afterwards (not saying the comic is superior to the show or vice versa. The ways they've developed characters are both effective; just different). I don't think Daryl dying would do much. It would be shocking, but not much after that. It's fine if he stays alive

By the way, I don't mean to sound like a pansy, but the thread title is unnecessarily harsh because:

1) This opinion isn't even that unpopular here

2) It tries to invalidate people who post in support of Daryl as "fangirls." The title could easily be "Daryl has to die"

Disregard^

Imagine a group of a hundred motorcycles driving down a freeway. Eventually, they hit a junction. One road goes northwest and the other goes northeast. So one guy, we'll call him S, says, "Let's go northwest!" A mile past the intersection, a semi careens into the group and kills ninety of them. Ten are wounded, but they survive and keep going. Eventually, they hit 10,000 miles. S suddenly has his consciousness thrown into his past body right before the junction. Now, he says, "Let's go northeast!" All 100 bikers survive. Happily ever after, right? But what about the ten, no nine, who went northwest and survived? What happens to the reality they were living? Does it just disappear now that S has changed the past? It's not like only bad things happened on that 10,000 mile journey. Maybe one of them fell in love with a gas station attendant and got her pregnant or maybe one adopted a homeless kid that joined the adventure. That 10,000 mile journey would be full of stories. Romances, farewells, friendships...the loss of those ninety lives is horrible and unfortunate, but what would rewriting their history mean? The nine who survived lived full lives and did the best they could with the hand they were dealt. How could it be right to just erase all that? Isn't that worth something? Is there a point to a world where everything is happy? Are people who struggle for a better life just idiots? Being human is about fighting even when it seems hopeless and finding happiness in a world that hates it. Are you saying that's worthless?

limaro

limaro

Biter

• Members
  • LocationOhio, US

I admit I was a huge Daryl fan back when he was socially challenged and before he developed super powers.  I still like him for what we shared in those first seasons, but we'll never get that magic back.  We'll always have the memories, but the magic is gone for me.

What I do like about having Daryl around is the contrast he provides for Rick.  Daryl has adapted and grown and really flourished in this world. Whereas  Rick is holding on to the past and old morality and struggling with everything that gets thrown at him.  I do enjoy their Brothers In Arms relationship too.

I would miss Daryl a lot if he was killed. I really believe TPTB when they say everyone is at risk.  It would be kind of awesome to see the heads explode of everyone who has threatened to riot and everyone who insists he's safe.

“That wasn't any act of God. That was an act of pure human fuckery.”
― Stephen King, The Stand

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators

Alright. I'll actually add to the discussion now

To be honest, I don't really see any problem with Daryl living. I get tired of him being a superhero, but I don't really think he needs to die. The writers can easily fix him. It's not like he's too far gone (ba dum tss).

And why does everyone think death=development? That doesn't seem to be true on the TV show 90% of the time (moreso the comics). The people on the TV show usually develop through being placed in dangerous situations and having to question their morality/beliefs afterwards (not saying the comic is superior to the show or vice versa. The ways they've developed characters are both effective; just different). I don't think Daryl dying would do much. It would be shocking, but not much after that. It's fine if he stays alive

By the way, I don't mean to sound like a pansy, but the thread title is unnecessarily harsh because:

1) This opinion isn't even that unpopular here

2) It tries to invalidate people who post in support of Daryl as "fangirls." The title could easily be "Daryl has to die"

I didn't take the title as harsh, just as a little joke for all the "Daryl dies, We riot" memes and such out there. I'll let the OP speak for himself, though.

I do agree with Daisy that Daryl shouldn't have to die just because Rick can only have one right hand man. They can all co-exist fulfilling different roles. It is more interesting if his right hand man sometimes disagrees with him. It adds more to the dynamic than just being an yes-man, which many times Daryl has done.

My reason for not minding Daryl dying is if they continue with this superhero role for him, there really isn't much room for growth. It's getting kinda boring.

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

• Members

I didn't take the title as harsh, just as a little joke for all the "Daryl dies, we riot" memes and such out there. I'll let the OP speak of himself, though.

Ah, ok. It's just been a while since I've seen the meme used in a non-ironic context (I spend more time here than Youtube :/ )

Agreed with the rest of your post by the way

Neganite

Neganite

Biter

• Members

Yea im sorry you found the title harsh, it was just meant as a tongue in cheek joke, im not really that bothered about daryl I just fancied posting something.

DeadCave

DeadCave

Resident Scribe

• *Members*
  • LocationUtah

I didn't take the title as harsh, just as a little joke for all the "Daryl dies, We riot" memes and such out there. I'll let the OP speak for himself, though.

I do agree with Daisy that Daryl shouldn't have to die just because Rick can only have one right hand man. They can all co-exist fulfilling different roles. It is more interesting if his right hand man sometimes disagrees with him. It adds more to the dynamic than just being an yes-man, which many times Daryl has done.

My reason for not minding Daryl dying is if they continue with this superhero role for him, there really isn't much room for growth. It's getting kinda boring.

You know the last time someone suggested that, a person got their head chopped off.  Just saying. 

69% of the people find something dirty in everything they read.  http://http://www.gofundme.com/c66cv4

Neganite

Neganite

Biter

• Members

You go outside you risk your life, you get a drink of water you risk your life, you get your head chopped off you risk your life

ApexPredator

ApexPredator

Lurker

• Members

You go outside you risk your life, you get a drink of water you risk your life, you get your head chopped off you risk your life

you risk your life, you risk your life

I can't believe you got him! You expert rooting-tooting, eagle-eyed, goth loving marksman! I love it. You managed to find a way to win. And everybody still loses!

Lioness

Lioness

Biter

• Members

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This! 

Putting out fire with gasoline.

d2daybreak

d2daybreak

Promo Queen

• Members
  • LocationHanging out with Morgan

^This!

tumblr_mdsrpoSv1L1rczlwwo2_250.gif "I never stopped having my shit together." ~Michonne

Check out my blog

Lioness

Lioness

Biter

• Members

Every major character has had superhero moments. Michonne in the last episode, for example. Taking out 20 or so walkers after walking in the herd undetected was pretty superhero. And Tyreese took out as many on the way back from the medical supply run during the killer flu episodes. Carl also survived an unlikely situation in the zombie pig pile in After. Etc. I like the Daryl character because he has come so far from where he began. 

I really don't think the story needs to kill off its characters to advance. What advancement happened with Andrea's death? Everyone had plenty of reasons to kill TG. Even Michonne. And Shane's death did not advance the story any more than keeping him around would have. It would just have been a different story. 

Putting out fire with gasoline.

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators

Every major character has had superhero moments. Michonne in the last episode, for example. Taking out 20 or so walkers after walking in the herd undetected was pretty superhero. And Tyreese took out as many on the way back from the medical supply run during the killer flu episodes. Carl also survived an unlikely situation in the zombie pig pile in After. Etc. I like the Daryl character because he has come so far from where he began. 

I really don't think the story needs to kill off its characters to advance. What advancement happened with Andrea's death? Everyone had plenty of reasons to kill TG. Even Michonne. And Shane's death did not advance the story any more than keeping him around would have. It would just have been a different story. 

All good points, but when is the last time we saw Daryl struggle? Since mid season 3, it almost seems like he can do no wrong. I was hoping when he went off with Merle, that he may have struggled with some of his past demons and had been somewhat intimidated by him. I do understand that a big part of that was showing that he had surpassed his brother in most ways. The were showing his growth.

We have certainly seen Tyreese struggle and now we've seen Michonne struggle. That is what makes the characters interesting, not just being a badass zombie killer.

I definitely agree that Andrea's death hasn't added to the story. However, Shane's death affected Rick profoundly. Initially, it made him be a much more decisive leader, but it also has added to his guilt and contributed to his breakdown.

With these upcoming episodes, I do think I'll probably change my mind regarding Daryl.

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!