Photo

The Walking Dead Season 4 Ep 9 - After - Review

- - - - - Chandler Riggs Carl Grimes the walking dead season 4

• Please log in to reply
225 replies to this topic

Poll: The Walking Dead - After (216 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your opinion of Season 4 Episode 9 AFTER?

1. Excellent (118 votes [54.63%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 54.63%

2. Good - Some Critiques (74 votes [34.26%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 34.26%

3. Fair - Not What I Expected (17 votes [7.87%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.87%

4. Poor (7 votes [3.24%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.24%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Valleyaggie

Valleyaggie

Biter

• Members
  • 1,843 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas

Really amazing episode!! Loved all the character development and can't wait for the next episode, so we can learn what going with everyone else. My question is why was David Morrissey's name on the opening credits? Anybody else notice that?

They keep major characters on the credits even after they are dead. They did that with Lori too. He'll be off them next season.

"My mind is my weapon ... and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

Pickles312

Pickles312

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 198 posts

They keep major characters on the credits even after they are dead. They did that with Lori too. He'll be off them next season.

Yeah so was Scott Wilson's.

jayde

jayde

Lurker

• Members
  • 347 posts
  • LocationCanada

Loved the episode but I wanted to smack Carl for most of it.

Even after getting attacked by three walkers at once, he still goes off half-cocked with the attitude that he's some big man now because he came out alive. Then what does he do? B*tches at his unconscious father about how he doesn't need him just because he killed three on his own. That's nice. Think you'd have lasted over a year in the ZA on your own then, young man? There are tons of other zombies out there like the one he couldn't handle.

I found it interesting that other than screaming at Rick to wake up, Carl just didn't seem to give much a damn about the fact that his father was practically comatose. I know there's not much he could have done, but rather than just ditching him to go scavenge and eat pudding -- maybe check some medicine cabinets on your way? What if he died while Carl was out? Maybe I'm being too harsh with the character but he just really got on my nerves.

Michonne - I totally called it back when she broke down while holding Judith. I figured she had lost a child because there was just way too much emotion there for it not to be related to her past. I'm glad we got to actually see something about her past but saddened at the same time. It explains her attitude and makes the character a bit more understandable. I was hoping she'd find Rick and Carl. It looks like that was enough to give her some hope and bring the character out of the turmoil of the destruction of their home as well as to ease her of the lonliness that was weighing down on her. Michonne is one of my favourite characters so her character development is amazing to me.

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

Hallelujer! Im STILL Alive!

• Members
  • 5,836 posts

I disagree. She was still closed off with Andrea. They were close because of being together so long but Michonne still hadn't actually grieved for her family at that point. She did that in this episode when she was sitting in Joe & Joe's and talking to her dead husband. She actually moved past where she was with Andrea and is genuinely opening herself up to Rick and Carl when she knocks on the door.

I don't think we can say she "genuinely opens up" yet, though. All she did was knock on a door. She went through a dark patch in this episode, but it's not like she's ever closed herself off from Rick or Carl before. She's been friendly with both before. In this episode, she chose to live and she chose to find her companions again. She allowed herself to get closure with Andrea before and I'm sure we won't see the last of Michonne grieving 

Really amazing episode!! Loved all the character development and can't wait for the next episode, so we can learn what going with everyone else. My question is why was David Morrissey's name on the opening credits? Anybody else notice that?

He was a corpse

Imagine a group of a hundred motorcycles driving down a freeway. Eventually, they hit a junction. One road goes northwest and the other goes northeast. So one guy, we'll call him S, says, "Let's go northwest!" A mile past the intersection, a semi careens into the group and kills ninety of them. Ten are wounded, but they survive and keep going. Eventually, they hit 10,000 miles. S suddenly has his consciousness thrown into his past body right before the junction. Now, he says, "Let's go northeast!" All 100 bikers survive. Happily ever after, right? But what about the ten, no nine, who went northwest and survived? What happens to the reality they were living? Does it just disappear now that S has changed the past? It's not like only bad things happened on that 10,000 mile journey. Maybe one of them fell in love with a gas station attendant and got her pregnant or maybe one adopted a homeless kid that joined the adventure. That 10,000 mile journey would be full of stories. Romances, farewells, friendships...the loss of those ninety lives is horrible and unfortunate, but what would rewriting their history mean? The nine who survived lived full lives and did the best they could with the hand they were dealt. How could it be right to just erase all that? Isn't that worth something? Is there a point to a world where everything is happy? Are people who struggle for a better life just idiots? Being human is about fighting even when it seems hopeless and finding happiness in a world that hates it. Are you saying that's worthless?

farswell7

farswell7

Biter

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Lincoln

Hershel and the Gov were technically both in this episode. Sarah Wayne Callies stayed on throughout the entire season but that's partially because she was still in the episodes off an on as a ghost. I wouldn't be surprised if they took Wilson/Morissey off the credits after this episode. Morissey wasn't in the opening credits until episode 5 of this season.

Jesus Monroe, what's your overall grade for this episode? I always like to hear what you have to say.

ButtonsTheHorse

ButtonsTheHorse

Lurker

• Members
  • 331 posts
  • LocationOnett, Eagleland

Best Part of the Episode?

Spoiler

This was also my favorite scene, I thought he absolutely killed it. Hope he's in next week's episode

Anyways, I thought the first parts of the episode were really rough. But it got a whole lot better near the end, with the very end specifically being really great. This is my favorite episode of season 4 so far, it really surprised me since at first I wasn't liking it. Best episode of S4 so far for me, although to be fair I haven't been a big fan of S4 until now. So I hope the rest of the episodes keep up this level of quality.

Also (obligatory comic talk)
Spoiler

"There's nothing worse than unexpected lava" ~ pokecapn

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators
  • 9,856 posts

I agree with Jesus Monroe that the dream sequence was confusing at first. I too thought it was a spoof commercial or something. Honestly, I really don't think it needed to be there. We know there is a child involved in her history. We know she had a personal relationship with the two walkers she had chained when we first met her. What we didn't know is why she thought they were monsters and we still don't know now. So, what was the point? I will say she looked beautiful in the scene. 

I agree. I hope that we do get do see more of her backstory, even if it is in bits and pieces.

You could see her emotion. She was finally actually grieving for her family instead of being all closed off. She retreated to her closed in self when she made her two new pets but then snapped out of it and retaliated. Her joining the group of walkers represented how she was pretty much a zombie herself, emotionally. Then she realizes what she is doing and reacts and kills them all. When she sees Rick and Carl through the window, she has a moment to decide if she wants to go in or just keep walking. She chooses to knock on the door. She chose not to be alone, not to be a living walker. I think that's some pretty darn good character development.

Very well stated. I thought it was very well done.

Watching the Talking Dead and seeing Chris Hardwick feed Hershel's head pudding made my night. :D

Edited by Serenity@sea, 10 February 2014 - 03:39 AM.

Valleyaggie

Valleyaggie

Biter

• Members
  • 1,843 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas

I don't think we can say she "genuinely opens up" yet, though. All she did was knock on a door. She went through a dark patch in this episode, but it's not like she's ever closed herself off from Rick or Carl before. She's been friendly with both before. In this episode, she chose to live and she chose to find her companions again. She allowed herself to get closure with Andrea before and I'm sure we won't see the last of Michonne grieving.

Okay. I agree that she isn't opening up completely. But she did make the choice to reach for human interaction rather than to walk away. With Andrea, she was still very closed off. Andrea mentions when they are in Woodbury that Michonne still hadn't even told her basic information and that she really didn't know much about Michonne's background. I think that Michonne killing her new pets, tracking down Rick and Carl and knocking on the door represents that she is going to reach out more, not be so closed off and be a human, not a walker.

Edited by Valleyaggie, 10 February 2014 - 03:42 AM.

"My mind is my weapon ... and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

Valleyaggie

Valleyaggie

Biter

• Members
  • 1,843 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas

Why is my comment now a quote? Weird.

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

• Members
  • 5,836 posts

Jesus Monroe, what's your overall grade for this episode? I always like to hear what you have to say.

Thanks!

I'm leaning between B+/A- but I'll probably give it an A- (which is the highest score I've given Walking Dead episodes, besides the Pilot which I'd give an A). I thought it was a great episode, despite its flaws. I was also surprised because Greg Nicotero directed it and his episodes are usually terrible.

I've decided not to include grades in my reviews anymore because I think a lot of people only looked at the grade and not anything else, or people saw a grade like a B (which I consider "good" in my book) but look at it like a school scale and think I'm saying the episode is shit. At least this way, people have to read what I have to say mwahahaha

This is definitely the best episode of Season 4 so far, though

Imagine a group of a hundred motorcycles driving down a freeway. Eventually, they hit a junction. One road goes northwest and the other goes northeast. So one guy, we'll call him S, says, "Let's go northwest!" A mile past the intersection, a semi careens into the group and kills ninety of them. Ten are wounded, but they survive and keep going. Eventually, they hit 10,000 miles. S suddenly has his consciousness thrown into his past body right before the junction. Now, he says, "Let's go northeast!" All 100 bikers survive. Happily ever after, right? But what about the ten, no nine, who went northwest and survived? What happens to the reality they were living? Does it just disappear now that S has changed the past? It's not like only bad things happened on that 10,000 mile journey. Maybe one of them fell in love with a gas station attendant and got her pregnant or maybe one adopted a homeless kid that joined the adventure. That 10,000 mile journey would be full of stories. Romances, farewells, friendships...the loss of those ninety lives is horrible and unfortunate, but what would rewriting their history mean? The nine who survived lived full lives and did the best they could with the hand they were dealt. How could it be right to just erase all that? Isn't that worth something? Is there a point to a world where everything is happy? Are people who struggle for a better life just idiots? Being human is about fighting even when it seems hopeless and finding happiness in a world that hates it. Are you saying that's worthless?

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

• Members
  • 5,836 posts

Why is my comment now a quote? Weird.

It happens sometimes with the new quote system. You probably accidentally hit backspace after quoting me. Hit enter after hitting quote. If the cursor is tabbed over after quoting, your response will be in the quote

Anyway, I can't directly quote your comment because it is in a quote and I can't quote a quote, so I'll respond here:

The thing is, she has chosen human interaction before. When she first met Andrea, she could've let this stranger die, knowing Andrea would probably hold her back, but she didn't. She wanted companionship, even if she wouldn't admit it before. Sure, she closed off Andrea on a conversation level, but I'm sure she appreciated having her around on some level. Otherwise, their last moments together wouldn't have meant anything

DukeSilver

DukeSilver

Survivor

• Members
  • 2,563 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

If someone could make a gif of Carl running into the door and falling over, I will love you forever and shower you with upvotes

I didn't make this, but here you go:

tumblr_n0rfzh9ZRN1tny38qo1_400_zps533358

3VHWYjA.gif

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

• Members
  • 5,836 posts

I didn't make this, but here you go:

tumblr_n0rfzh9ZRN1tny38qo1_400_zps533358

Yeeeeeees! Thank you! Shower this woman with upvotes, people!

Sidenote: Apparently, the crew had to film the scene with Chandler eating the pudding so many times that by the end he said that he, "Hated pudding"

shrike

shrike

Roamer

• Members
  • 796 posts

The walkers hammering on the tank and the dead horse were good nods to the pilot episode, and Carl's walker pileup looked a lot like that scene in 18 Miles Out

DaneBramage

DaneBramage

Biter

• Members
  • 2,097 posts
  • Location16 National Championships NCAA Div I Football

OMFG!!! This was my absolute favorite episode of the whole freaking series!!! I loved the character development of Carl and Michonne! Yes, Carl was being extremely annoying and I wanted to punch him in the face.

That's because this episode came directly from the book-

"(When/If) You come at the King, you best not miss"- Omar Little

walkerbait13

walkerbait13

Biter

• Members
  • 882 posts
Did anyone else notice that the horse died? Lol I figured some people would be upset by this fact considering the last horse that died so tragically.

Edited by walkerbait13, 10 February 2014 - 04:01 AM.

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

• Members
  • 5,836 posts

That's because this episode came directly from the book-

Aw dammit. I forgot we could say that now 

But yeah. To all of the people who said that the show should never follow the comic because it would be predictable, the comic is shitty, or blahblahblah. Many are calling this one of the best episodes of the season/series and 85% of this episode was an adaptation. Yes, I know I sound like a comic fanboy. It's worth pointing out, though...

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators
  • 9,856 posts

It happens sometimes with the new quote system. You probably accidentally hit backspace after quoting me. Hit enter after hitting quote. If the cursor is tabbed over after quoting, your response will be in the quote

Anyway, I can't directly quote your comment because it is in a quote and I can't quote a quote, so I'll respond here:

The thing is, she has chosen human interaction before. When she first met Andrea, she could've let this stranger die, knowing Andrea would probably hold her back, but she didn't. She wanted companionship, even if she wouldn't admit it before. Sure, she closed off Andrea on a conversation level, but I'm sure she appreciated having her around on some level. Otherwise, their last moments together wouldn't have meant anything

I think with Andrea, she cared for her as much as she could, but she couldn't completely let her guard down at that time. From this episode we can conclude that she had been almost walker-like since she lost her lover (ha) and her baby. Andrea was probably the first person she let in at all since she lost her baby.

She finally started opening up to the people at the prison (especially Carl and Rick) and now she had to make the choice to either become dead inside again or seek out other people.

Edited by Serenity@sea, 10 February 2014 - 04:07 AM.

Officer_Friendly

Officer_Friendly

Roamer

• Members
  • 848 posts

The cinematography in this episode was excellent.  For example, the opening shot in the cold opening of this episode was a parallel to the same sky view camera angle of the tank being swarmed by walkers in the episode "Guts".  

Knowing that this was going to be an episode that heavily focused on Carl, I was worried that Chandler Riggs' acting abilities would be a serious detriment to its overall quality.  Surprisingly, it really wasn't.  In fact, I actually think that he put on a good performance.  I mean, I don't think he'll be winning an Emmy for it, but I thought that he performed pretty well for the most part.  Maybe I only liked his acting because I had such low expectations for him.  I'm not sure.  

Overall, I enjoyed this episode.  I also thought the ending was great.

"It's for you."

ButtonsTheHorse

ButtonsTheHorse

Lurker

• Members
  • 331 posts
  • LocationOnett, Eagleland

Did anyone else notice that the horse died? Lol I figured some people would be upset by this fact considering the last horse that died so tragically.

Never forget.

):
"There's nothing worse than unexpected lava" ~ pokecapn

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

• Members
  • 5,836 posts

I think with Andrea, she cared for her as much as she could, but she couldn't completely let her guard down at that time. From this episode, we can conclude that she had become almost walker- like since she lost her lover (ha) and her baby.

She finally started opening up to the people at the prison (especially Carl and Rick) and now she had to make the choice to either become dead inside again or seek out other people.

Hmm. I guess I'll concede my point, then. You were right, VA and Serenity

Semi-related: I wasn't able to fully understand all of the dream sequence because I thought the first half was a commercial and then when I realized it wasn't, I spent the rest of the time playing catch-up. Did they explain why Mike and Terry "deserved it"?

Never forget.

):

Lol. I'm sorry, Buttons

Edited by JesusMonroe, 10 February 2014 - 04:07 AM.

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators
  • 9,856 posts

Hmm. I guess I'll concede my point, then. You were right, VA and Serenity

Semi-related: I wasn't able to fully understand all of the dream sequence because I thought the first half was a commercial and then when I realized it wasn't, I spent the rest of the time playing catch-up. Did they explain why Mike and Terry "deserved it"?

Lol. I'm sorry, Buttons

No, if anything it left more questions than answers, for me.

The most I took from it is that most likely her tragedy occurred at a refugee center.

Officer_Friendly

Officer_Friendly

Roamer

• Members
  • 848 posts

Was it addressed why Michonne was so bothered by that one particular walker?  I mean, was she jealous of her weave or something?

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

• Members
  • 5,836 posts

Was it addressed why Michonne was so bothered by that one particular walker?  I mean, was she jealous of her weave or something?

It reminded her of herself. She realized this would happen to her if she kept going down that road and her killing it was her own way of rejecting that as a potential future

Or something

Edited by JesusMonroe, 10 February 2014 - 04:17 AM.

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators
  • 9,856 posts

One thing I really enjoyed throughout the episode was the juxtaposition of Carl being a boy/man.

When he first when into that boys room, his face lit up like 'look at all this cool stuff' and then the realization that he couldn't play any of those video games or watch the movies. The world he is growing up in is forcing him to be a man, but he still has all these conflicting teenage emotions.

Edited by Serenity@sea, 10 February 2014 - 04:55 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Chandler Riggs, Carl Grimes, the walking dead season 4

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!