All Out War - Part One (Volume 20) Review

- - - - - review

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

Hallelujer! Im STILL Alive!

• Members

What do you guys think of All Out War so far?

Imagine a group of a hundred motorcycles driving down a freeway. Eventually, they hit a junction. One road goes northwest and the other goes northeast. So one guy, we'll call him S, says, "Let's go northwest!" A mile past the intersection, a semi careens into the group and kills ninety of them. Ten are wounded, but they survive and keep going. Eventually, they hit 10,000 miles. S suddenly has his consciousness thrown into his past body right before the junction. Now, he says, "Let's go northeast!" All 100 bikers survive. Happily ever after, right? But what about the ten, no nine, who went northwest and survived? What happens to the reality they were living? Does it just disappear now that S has changed the past? It's not like only bad things happened on that 10,000 mile journey. Maybe one of them fell in love with a gas station attendant and got her pregnant or maybe one adopted a homeless kid that joined the adventure. That 10,000 mile journey would be full of stories. Romances, farewells, friendships...the loss of those ninety lives is horrible and unfortunate, but what would rewriting their history mean? The nine who survived lived full lives and did the best they could with the hand they were dealt. How could it be right to just erase all that? Isn't that worth something? Is there a point to a world where everything is happy? Are people who struggle for a better life just idiots? Being human is about fighting even when it seems hopeless and finding happiness in a world that hates it. Are you saying that's worthless?

hannsg

hannsg

Biter

• Validating
Q
How many parts to a volume ?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Duffy Duck

Duffy Duck

Biter

• Members
  • Location413
Is vol.19 out in stores yet?

gracie lou

gracie lou

Glenn Groupie

• Members
  • Locationunder the comic covers

Q
How many parts to a volume ?

6 issues - AOW will be broken up into 2 volumes/trade paperbacks

Is vol.19 out in stores yet?

Nope - March 11

March 5th

Duffy Duck

Duffy Duck

Biter

• Members
  • Location413

Nope - March 11

March 5th

thank you :)

hannsg

hannsg

Biter

• Validating
7.5/10
Its been action packed and entertaining picked up a bit as it went on

On the negative side there is a serious lack of detail i.e. numbers of people involved, distances of places and relativity to each other
which makes figuring out and enjoying the clashes annoying
Also there has been some questionable use of weapons and tactics by all sides
The writers IMO seem to lack firearms and basic military/combat knowledge.

If there was more detail about what has going on and more realistic better fight scenes
I would increase marks.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NAGILLUM

NAGILLUM

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationCanada, eh!
8/10

AOW has been good so far. It hasn't gone down the way I expected, which is a good thing. I like the fact that Kirkman hasn't gotten stale yet with repetitive storylines and that he can still surprise me. And Negan...well I'm going to miss that guy when he dies. Despite the fact that he swears nonstop, he's hilarious, smart and everything you'd expect from a villain running 200 men and 3 communities.

My only complaints are Ezekiel and the death of Holly and Denise's inevitable death. Holly and Denise had so much potential. It still seems early for their deaths. Now Ezekiel is down right boring. I don't know how, but Kirkman has managed to make a character he is focusing so much time on, boring. I don't care for the Kingdom or Shiva or Ezekiel.
Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past, or the present, are certain to miss the future.

PorkTornado75

PorkTornado75

• Members
  • LocationAlexandria Safe Zone with Spencer`s pool table.
7.5/10

"Yeah, let's fuck this dog."

nazacuckoo

nazacuckoo

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationTo your left

Nope - March 11

March 5th

I got Volume 19 in December... Are you sure it's not out yet?
I did buy it online, but it was easy to find. Trade Paperback version, by the way.

"There's no "I" in team" 

"Yeah, there's no "U" either. So I guess if I'm not on the team, and you're not on the team, nobody's on the God damn team. The team sucks!"

gracie lou

gracie lou

Glenn Groupie

• Members

I got Volume 19 in December... Are you sure it's not out yet?
I did buy it online, but it was easy to find. Trade Paperback version, by the way.

Actually, image.com is saying March 5th.

Neganite

Neganite

Biter

• Members
  • LocationNewcastle England
6/10 I just expected more to be honest. People keep saying its building up and it will kick into gear in part 2. But issues 100-114 were all building to this. It just feels like Kirkman doesn't pull the trigger any more, he builds you up and builds you up but doesn't give the promised pay off these days. He's like that girl that will tease and tease, maybe foreplay then zilch... man I love/hate you Kirkman
Hopefully part 2 is better

PorkTornado75

PorkTornado75

• Members

6/10 I just expected more to be honest. People keep saying its building up and it will kick into gear in part 2. But issues 100-114 were all building to this. It just feels like Kirkman doesn't pull the trigger any more, he builds you up and builds you up but doesn't give the promised pay off these days. He's like that girl that will tease and tease, maybe foreplay then zilch... man I love/hate you Kirkman
Hopefully part 2 is better

Agreed.

theblackboxlies

theblackboxlies

Top of the Food Chain

• Members
  • Locationಠ_ರೃ
When has Kirkman ever promised anything and pamdered to comc fans?I think all the naysayers here are setting themselves up for disappointment.

theblackboxlies

theblackboxlies

Top of the Food Chain

• Members
  • Locationಠ_ರೃ
I'm going to give AOW pt. 1 an 8.5/10. Adding in the .5 because of ( . Y . )

slouvahkey

slouvahkey

Infected

• Members

Actually, image.com is saying March 5th.

That's vol 20, 19 came out in November.

Cthulhu42

Cthulhu42

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationR'lyeh
I know I'm probably in a minority here, but AOW part 1 is probably my least favourite chapter since No Way Out. It's not bad, but it's not living up to its hype so far for me.

Also, I think some of the people in this thread talking about release dates are confusing Volumes 19 and 20; Volume 19 was March to War, and came out in November, while Volume 20, AOW part 1, is the one going to be released in March.

gracie lou

gracie lou

Glenn Groupie

• Members

That's vol 20, 19 came out in November.

Oh, sorry. Misunderstood the question. :P

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

• Members

When has Kirkman ever promised anything and pamdered to comc fans?I think all the naysayers here are setting themselves up for disappointment.

Agreed. I've noticed the people who are disappointed hyped it up too much for themselves. This volume has more content than 90% of the other volumes so far.

Imagine a group of a hundred motorcycles driving down a freeway. Eventually, they hit a junction. One road goes northwest and the other goes northeast. So one guy, we'll call him S, says, "Let's go northwest!" A mile past the intersection, a semi careens into the group and kills ninety of them. Ten are wounded, but they survive and keep going. Eventually, they hit 10,000 miles. S suddenly has his consciousness thrown into his past body right before the junction. Now, he says, "Let's go northeast!" All 100 bikers survive. Happily ever after, right? But what about the ten, no nine, who went northwest and survived? What happens to the reality they were living? Does it just disappear now that S has changed the past? It's not like only bad things happened on that 10,000 mile journey. Maybe one of them fell in love with a gas station attendant and got her pregnant or maybe one adopted a homeless kid that joined the adventure. That 10,000 mile journey would be full of stories. Romances, farewells, friendships...the loss of those ninety lives is horrible and unfortunate, but what would rewriting their history mean? The nine who survived lived full lives and did the best they could with the hand they were dealt. How could it be right to just erase all that? Isn't that worth something? Is there a point to a world where everything is happy? Are people who struggle for a better life just idiots? Being human is about fighting even when it seems hopeless and finding happiness in a world that hates it. Are you saying that's worthless?

PorkTornado75

PorkTornado75

• Members

Agreed. I've noticed the people who are disappointed hyped it up too much for themselves. This volume has more content than 90% of the other volumes so far.

So my opinion is invalid because you think i hyped it up for myself ???

If that is the case you are very very wrong my friend.

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

• Members

So my opinion is invalid because you think i hyped it up for myself ???

If that is the case you are very very wrong my friend.

I'm not saying your opinion is invalid, but you said

I dunno more action i guess this is not really turning out to be much of a "war" so far.

even though 50% of the issues so far have had big battles (and issue 119 had the zombie Holly moment). There've been multitudes of huge moments so far this arc. Just because it hasn't had enough deaths doesn't mean it's bad

PorkTornado75

PorkTornado75

• Members
Battles that we really don't see much of and care nothing about the people fighting it , that is why it is a bit disappointing not because i hyped it up to much mango.

Everything about this comic is not always a 10/10 or even a 9/10.

Sorry i guess i have not been wearing my rose colored glasses reading it so far.

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

• Members

Battles that we really don't see much of and care nothing about the people fighting it , that is why it is a bit disappointing not because i hyped it up to much mango.

Everything about this comic is not always a 10/10 or even a 9/10

There's nobody more aware of this than I am. I even made a thread listing the plethora of problems that are plaguing the comic these days. I criticize as much as I praise it. I'm far from a fanboy

But your complaint was that this doesn't feel like a war. Then you acknowledged that there were battles, but you don't care about the people fighting in it. Okay, fair enough, but that doesn't change the fact that there ARE battles and this IS a war, and it feels like one.

People complain a lot that it took long for us to get to war, but now that we're here, they say they don't care about who's dying. If Kirkman took the time to develop the characters, people would be complaining about how it was taking even longer to get there. I'm less enjoying the war for the action and more for Kirkman actually making me give a shit. The action is a nice bonus

Nick_FM

Nick_FM

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationU.S.A.
Quick question...how often did the Saviors go to the different communities to take supplies? Was that ever mentioned?

PorkTornado75

PorkTornado75

• Members

There's nobody more aware of this than I am. I even made a thread listing the plethora of problems that are plaguing the comic these days. I criticize as much as I praise it. I'm far from a fanboy

But your complaint was that this doesn't feel like a war. Then you acknowledged that there were battles, but you don't care about the people fighting in it. Okay, fair enough, but that doesn't change the fact that there ARE battles and this IS a war, and it feels like one.

People complain a lot that it took long for us to get to war, but now that we're here, they say they don't care about who's dying. If Kirkman took the time to develop the characters, people would be complaining about how it was taking even longer to get there. I'm less enjoying the war for the action and more for Kirkman actually making me give a shit. The action is a nice bonus

To each his own i am not trying to bash you but to generalize any complaints as " they did it to themselves by over hyping" is not the way to go.

I just feel like some of the other posters that say that without knowing how many people in each group and the geography of the battles is really difficult to think of this as a war imo.

Some of the things and battles are really kind of stupid if you really think about them i guess i need to just sit back and remember this is a comic.

Cthulhu42

Cthulhu42

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationR'lyeh

Quick question...how often did the Saviors go to the different communities to take supplies? Was that ever mentioned?

I've always thought it was roughly monthly, although I can't remember if it was ever explicitly stated or if it was just an assumption I made.

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!