Your Opinion On Glen Mazzara.

- - - - - Season 2 Season 3 Glen Mazzara

Your Opinion On Glen Mazzara. (60 )

What Is Your Opinion On Glen Mazzara As TWD Showrunner?

1. He was a great showrunner, I would have liked him to have continued as the showrunner. (4 [6.67%] - )

6.67%

2. He did a lot of good things for the show but it was time for him to move on, despite being quite successful. (6 [10.00%] - )

10.00%

3. He did alright but Season 2.2 and Season 3 could/should have been a lot better. (22 [36.67%] - )

36.67%

4. He was a poor showrunner, He needed to leave. (28 [46.67%] - )

46.67%

Your Favorite Showrunner on TWD so far?

1. Frank Darabont. (33 [55.00%] - )

55.00%

2. Glen Mazzara. (3 [5.00%] - )

5.00%

3. Scott Gimple. (24 [40.00%] - )

40.00%

Blasko_Z

Blasko_Z

Biter

• Members

That's a dumb generalization

It is, and is one that gets thrown into the conversation (not unlike a stick into the spoke of a rolling tire) whenever someone criticizes the dramatic aspects of the show. If this is your response to any post that doesn't say "this show needs more zombie killing" then all you are doing is needlessly disrupting conversation.

Daisy

Daisy

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationMount Doom

2.2 and season 3 were overall good and I enjoyed them. Mind you, I'm judging them overall not episode by episode as they had their ups and downs.

Mazzara is still my favourite showrunner so far. I know he's not popular with a faction of the fandom, mostly because of how he disrupted the storylines making them very different from the comics. I sympathise with that, as while I don't read the comics so it means nothing to me whether they follow them or not, I've been in that situation (some stuff they do on GoT, much as I love it as a book reader makes me wanna cry), but still if you leave the comics out, I think he mostly did a good job and better than Darabont. IIRC, Darabont was the one who stretched the horrible triangle, and had a plan of keeping Shane around, which is possibly the worst thing that could have happened to this show.

As for Gimple, I feel it's early to say how well he's handling it. So far I've liked most episodes, but sometimes his stuff really drags for no reason.

I got me some horses to ride on, to ride on.

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

Hallelujer! Im STILL Alive!

• Members

It is, and is one that gets thrown into the conversation (not unlike a stick into the spoke of a rolling tire) whenever someone criticizes the dramatic aspects of the show. If this is your response to any post that doesn't say "this show needs more zombie killing" then all you are doing is needlessly disrupting conversation.

Yeah. It's probably my least favorite phrase that gets tossed around regarding TWD. 

"Pfft. The only people who didn't like this episode are mindless people who like nonstop action. They aren't 'true' fans."

Imagine a group of a hundred motorcycles driving down a freeway. Eventually, they hit a junction. One road goes northwest and the other goes northeast. So one guy, we'll call him S, says, "Let's go northwest!" A mile past the intersection, a semi careens into the group and kills ninety of them. Ten are wounded, but they survive and keep going. Eventually, they hit 10,000 miles. S suddenly has his consciousness thrown into his past body right before the junction. Now, he says, "Let's go northeast!" All 100 bikers survive. Happily ever after, right? But what about the ten, no nine, who went northwest and survived? What happens to the reality they were living? Does it just disappear now that S has changed the past? It's not like only bad things happened on that 10,000 mile journey. Maybe one of them fell in love with a gas station attendant and got her pregnant or maybe one adopted a homeless kid that joined the adventure. That 10,000 mile journey would be full of stories. Romances, farewells, friendships...the loss of those ninety lives is horrible and unfortunate, but what would rewriting their history mean? The nine who survived lived full lives and did the best they could with the hand they were dealt. How could it be right to just erase all that? Isn't that worth something? Is there a point to a world where everything is happy? Are people who struggle for a better life just idiots? Being human is about fighting even when it seems hopeless and finding happiness in a world that hates it. Are you saying that's worthless?

Mr. NomNom

Mr. NomNom

Biter

• Members
  • LocationOhio

2.2 and season 3 were overall good and I enjoyed them. Mind you, I'm judging them overall not episode by episode as they had their ups and downs.

Mazzara is still my favourite showrunner so far. I know he's not popular with a faction of the fandom, mostly because of how he disrupted the storylines making them very different from the comics. I sympathise with that, as while I don't read the comics so it means nothing to me whether they follow them or not, I've been in that situation (some stuff they do on GoT, much as I love it as a book reader makes me wanna cry), but still if you leave the comics out, I think he mostly did a good job and better than Darabont. IIRC, Darabont was the one who stretched the horrible triangle, and had a plan of keeping Shane around, which is possibly the worst thing that could have happened to this show.

As for Gimple, I feel it's early to say how well he's handling it. So far I've liked most episodes, but sometimes his stuff really drags for no reason.

I think you're forgetting Darabont had only 6 episodes to get this thing started. People were hooked instantly, i don't think he really had time to run through the shane storyline. Then season 2 AMC cut the budget and then fired Darabont, even the actors that left the show said they were treated horrible. So they couldn't do much.

Now i do think we had a little to much shane. Also i would have like more of an otis storyline...he felt horrible about what he did to carl I wanted to see how that could have really turned out.

Daisy

Daisy

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationMount Doom

I think you're forgetting Darabont had only 6 episodes to get this thing started. People were hooked instantly, i don't think he really had time to run through the shane storyline. Then season 2 AMC cut the budget and then fired Darabont, even the actors that left the show said they were treated horrible. So they couldn't do much.

Now i do think we had a little to much shane. Also i would have like more of an otis storyline...he felt horrible about what he did to carl I wanted to see how that could have really turned out.

If Darabont's plan was to actually keep Shane around for longer, than that was not a very good plan regardless of anything else. It had been already stretched as it was, so while I understand he didn't have the time to solve the triangle in season 1, there was no excuse for keeping him on any longer than season 2. In fact, he should have died about midway season 2. They overdid it imo, just to keep the actor around.

I got me some horses to ride on, to ride on.

Mr. NomNom

Mr. NomNom

Biter

• Members
  • LocationOhio

If Darabont's plan was to actually keep Shane around for longer, than that was not a very good plan regardless of anything else. It had been already stretched as it was, so while I understand he didn't have the time to solve the triangle in season 1, there was no excuse for keeping him on any longer than season 2. In fact, he should have died about midway season 2. They overdid it imo, just to keep the actor around.

I actually wanted him to die during the barn scene....I wish he got careless, fell and got bit. I do agree it was a bit stretched, some people actually like that he stuck around a while longer.

But to me at the time I also wish carol was bit. Only at the time all she did was cry and sob and bitch. I get it though I have a kid too and though i'm a father and not a mother ( I guess you can argue they would sorta act differently)
I understand she would be distraught. How often did she go searching for her anyways? At the time though I wish she would have seen sophia come out of the woods and she would have gotten bit because she was distracted that her daughter found them.. It would have been the irony thing of your daughter made it but now you won't and because of course she got distracted.

But that was also before carol kinda turned awesome.

RICKTATOR SHIP

RICKTATOR SHIP

Infected

• Members
I think frank really helped the show but I but I don't think this means we have to blame it all on Glenn mazzara keep in mind after season 1 all the writers were replaced so keep that in mind

Deadpelican

Deadpelican

Ad Victoriam!

• Moderators
  • LocationThe Prydwen

IMHO, the whining about the Governor story arc is coming from fans who only want zombie carnage and non-stop action.   

Um... not really. 

Personally I was ticked off about the Governor episodes because it meant dropping several important plot lines from the prison story arc and leaving them in the  lurch. 

I thought that showing the aftermath of the flu epidemic and the reactions to Carol's banishment was the most logical step forward for the story to take.  Months later and they  STILL haven't moved any closer to resolution of any of those story lines.  

I won't say that Mazarra is my favorite show runner, but I think he's vastly underrated and Darabont is very overrated. 

Characters played by Darabont's  buddies, the Darabont   regulars (e.g. Lori Holden, Jon Bernthal) got plenty of development. 

But other characters such as Merle Dixon and Ed Peletier were fairly ridiculous caricatures. 

Don't misunderstand me- I thought Darabont did a great job. I just think he tends to get a lot of slack because Walking Dead was such a unique program and unlike anything seen on Television. 

I think Gimple gets a lot of slack too, as many people blame this season's missteps on Glenn Mazarra, strange as it may sound.  

Some people say that this season's problems are just due to  Gimple   trying to clean up the mess left by Mazarra. 

That may be true... or it may be denial.  I'm leaning toward the latter. 

Shield yourself from those not bound to you by steel, for they are the blind. Aid them when you can, but lose not sight of yourself. 

The Walking Shooter

The Walking Shooter

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationJupiter
I absolutely loved his run from season2b to season3a. There was a lot of twists and turns that had me wanting more and more.

But then he dropped the ball with the season3b plot line. With the exception of "Clear" and "This Sorrowful Life", the episodes ranged from mediocre to drown right awful (Every one of my reruns I always skip Arrow on the Doorpost. Can't stand it at all).

I voted he could have done better with his run, but it was time for him to get the boot. Darabont got the best show runner because he understood the essence of the comics. Even if he ran it into a different direction like the current show has done he would still have captured what makes The Walking Dead "The Walking Dead".

Major Tom

Major Tom

Biter

• Members
  • LocationCommonwealth of Lower Alabama

I am not a Mazarra fan.

Without analyzing the series as well as some have, I'll just say that imo Mazarra was a mediocre talent, in over his head. I never understood his reluctance to do flashbacks in a series that screams for flashbacks. The pacing of the show under his watch was poor and poorly written in some cases. Several of the better episodes in early S2 were Darabont's work. I believe the show was headed for the tank under his regime.

There is little doubt that Darabont is the more talented of the three but he failed (for whatever reason) to come to terms with AMC. Gimple seems to be a talented writer and a competent showrunner. He is the best choice at this point.

To be honest, Mazarra may be a decent writer, and while I doubt it, he may be more qualified that I have allowed. I just don't care for his personality and the way he conducted himself. His antics on Twitter were extremely off-putting to me. So, to some degree, my opinion can be attributed to a personality conflict.

For a reasonable fee, I will quell minor outbreaks, enforce quarantines, and dispatch infected relatives.

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!