• Please log in to reply
259 replies to this topic

sdrcfc

sdrcfc

Infected

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom.

Do we know how many issues/volumes there will be in total?

PorkTornado75

PorkTornado75

Survivor

• Members
  • 4,471 posts
  • LocationAlexandria Safe Zone with Spencer`s pool table.

Do we know how many issues/volumes there will be in total?

Nope RK has said he has enough ideas for at least 300 issues right now.....

"Yeah, let's fuck this dog."
tumblr_n0sl161Sn51s71mpxo1_250.png

greatbignow

greatbignow

Infected

• Members
  • 141 posts
Probably enough for everyone to get tired of it. Admittedly, I am growing weary of AOW already (more like five or more issues ago), and don't feel like the story has really progressed much. Maybe Kirkman was better at plot pacing when he had no assurances the comic would still exist in three issues forward. We haven't really done much different in quite a few issues, though I will stick around for the new setting/characters and see how it goes.

Dead Gov Walking

Dead Gov Walking

Lurker

• Members
  • 336 posts

I remember when I thought "300 issues? AWESOME!"
Now?

That sounds like waaaaaaay too much

NAGILLUM

NAGILLUM

Roamer

• Members
  • 723 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh!

I remember when I thought "300 issues? AWESOME!"
Now?

That sounds like waaaaaaay too much

I feel the same way, but that's because AOW hasn't been all it's hyped up to be. The story has gotten kind of boring, but not to a bad extent. Kirkman just hasn't been able to write like he use to with all the things he has piled up on his plate. I mean the show sucks...he may as well give up on it and just write the comic.

Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past, or the present, are certain to miss the future.

PorkTornado75

PorkTornado75

Survivor

• Members
  • 4,471 posts

I will be happy when AOW is over.....not that it has been that bad but i hope we get back to having a smaller group of people to keep track of.

The smaller group dynamic leads to better character development and us caring more for these characters. 

So far AOW has not had the effect that it should have had with so many red shirt no names getting killed I really don't feel the tension this arc is designed to show.

NAGILLUM

NAGILLUM

Roamer

• Members
  • 723 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh!

I will be happy when AOW is over.....not that it has been that bad but i hope we get back to having a smaller group of people to keep track of.

The smaller group dynamic leads to better character development and us caring more for these characters. 

So far AOW has not had the effect that it should have had with so many red shirt no names getting killed I really don't feel the tension this arc is designed to show.

Exactly, 1+ for the bolded part.

The cast is too big, hoping for a bloodbath in these last two issues.

Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past, or the present, are certain to miss the future.

Cthulhu42

Cthulhu42

Lurker

• Members
  • 267 posts
  • LocationR'lyeh

Exactly, 1+ for the bolded part.

The cast is too big, hoping for a bloodbath in these last two issues.

Definitely; as much as I wasn't particularly fond of No Way Out, I really appreciated how it killed off a lot of characters I didn't like or care about in order to bring the cast down to a more managable level, and I'm hoping the next few issues do something similar (preferably by killing off all the Hilltop and Savior characters, I'm not really invested in any of them).

Tbird

Tbird

Infected

• Members
  • 36 posts

I feel the same way, but that's because AOW hasn't been all it's hyped up to be. The story has gotten kind of boring, but not to a bad extent. Kirkman just hasn't been able to write like he use to with all the things he has piled up on his plate. I mean the show sucks...he may as well give up on it and just write the comic.

I know some comic readers are not fans of the show but let's be real about this.  RK is famous and making money because of the show not because of the comics.  The show sells the merchandise and brings in the big money.  If he were going to give up on one and focus on the other it would almost certainly be the show. 

PorkTornado75

PorkTornado75

Survivor

• Members
  • 4,471 posts

Remember RK does NOT write the tv show.

PorkTornado75

PorkTornado75

Survivor

• Members
  • 4,471 posts

I know some comic readers are not fans of the show but let's be real about this.  RK is famous and making money because of the show not because of the comics.  The show sells the merchandise and brings in the big money.  If he were going to give up on one and focus on the other it would almost certainly be the show. 

I think you are WRONG , comics are Kirkman`s true love and he has enough money to live several lifetimes.

Dead Gov Walking

Dead Gov Walking

Lurker

• Members
  • 336 posts

I dunno. Right now I actually prefer the show to the comic.
As a whole, the Comic is obviously better. But lately, I've found myself enjoying the new episodes of the show more than the new issues of the comic.

Neganite

Neganite

Biter

• Members
  • 914 posts
  • LocationNewcastle England

You're absolutely right there is no way in hell Kirkman would choose the show over the comic. Writing comics is his passion, whatever you think of his writing, his trolling ways or his bare faced lies, its obvious he absolutely loves what he does for a living.

The comic will outlive the show by many years with Kirkman steering the ship.

Read my Zombie FanFiction in the Fanfiction section of this site called 'The end of the world as we know it' (Chapter 8 now up!!).

PorkTornado75

PorkTornado75

Survivor

• Members
  • 4,471 posts

I mean he named his kid after Peter Parker , comics are #1 in Kirkman`s eyes.

greatbignow

greatbignow

Infected

• Members
  • 141 posts
Could also be that at some point everyone tires of the same genre when repeatedly faced with it. I love science fiction too, but if I had to read the same kind of story over and over for a decade, I'd grow weary as well. Kirkman has done a great job no doubt, but maybe we need a break.

Which reminds me that Kirman and Adlard are starting a science fiction comic that will be several issues long per release. Part of why they kept some of the hired help for AOW. I will probably check it out, lol.

Edited by greatbignow, 01 April 2014 - 07:34 PM.

PorkTornado75

PorkTornado75

Survivor

• Members
  • 4,471 posts

What book are you referring to ?

Kirkman has a new comic coming this summer but its not a science fiction book and Adlard does not do the art for it.

Its called "Outcast".

http://www.roamersan...-comic-outcast/

Edited by PorkTornado75, 01 April 2014 - 08:33 PM.

gracie lou

gracie lou

Glenn Groupie

• Moderators
  • 7,635 posts
  • Locationunder the comic covers

What book are you referring to ?
Kirkman has a new comic coming this summer but its not a science fiction book and Adlard does not do the art for it.

Its called "Outcast".
http://www.roamersan...-comic-outcast/

He's talking about The Passenger. We talked a bit to Adlard about it in our Under the Comic Covers interview with him. Sounds pretty cool.

zombiebanner-1.jpg

PorkTornado75

PorkTornado75

Survivor

• Members
  • 4,471 posts

Sweet i guess i forgot about it.

NAGILLUM

NAGILLUM

Roamer

• Members
  • 723 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh!

I'm sorry, but you are completely 100% WRONG. Comic books are RK's passion, and TWD comic will always come first in priority over the show. The comic sells merchandise as well, so I'm not getting your point unless you mean the show sells more merchandise. If you want to be real about this, the show would be given up before the comic ever would.

Canon_108

Canon_108

Lurker

• Members
  • 204 posts
I wish they'd kill Daryl already, and give the viewer a taste of what the reader has gone through...Rick loses his right hand every 20 issues or so. If the show wanted to be respected by the comic fans, no one should be safe...it will always be the dissapointnent that won't live up to expectations.

Reavesfilm

Reavesfilm

Infected

• Members
  • 64 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Yeah, we've lost so many people in the comic that we loved for so long (and sometimes for not that long) but I would subscribe to the belief that the showrunners are too afraid to kill Daryl, haha 

"I believe in Rick Grimes."

supersutton

supersutton

Infected

• Members
  • 9 posts

I think that's where the show tends to really suffer... It purports to be just as visceral and unpredictable as the comics, but really all of the institutional network forces behind its construction are too transparent on-screen (pristine-clean number plate-less Hyundais a year into a zombie apocalypse? Really?) for it to feel anywhere near as gritty or realistic as the comic. Having "Nobody is Safe" as a tagline only works if nobody really is safe... When in reality we know that when characters like Daryl Dixon die, it'll be telegraphed for miles and will likely be carried out in a fittingly dramatic fashion that stretches our suspension of disbelief. No death on the show can compare to comic deaths like Lori or Abraham, they're simply too raw and realistic because in the comics medium Kirkman doesn't have network pressure to craft a story fit for the television format that needs to be stretched into 16 episodes whilst appealing to the right demographics so on. The affect of turning the page to see one of the most important and interesting characters suddenly exit the story with no warning (Abraham! Abrahaaaaaammm!!) is something that I think the show simply isn't capable of recreating in its current form.

PorkTornado75

PorkTornado75

Survivor

• Members
  • 4,471 posts
The show might be good if RK wrote it.

TomTom

TomTom

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

I wish they'd kill Daryl already, and give the viewer a taste of what the reader has gone through...Rick loses his right hand every 20 issues or so. If the show wanted to be respected by the comic fans, no one should be safe...it will always be the dissapointnent that won't live up to expectations.

Pun intended? "Rick looses his right hand"  :zombie02:

D_Piece

D_Piece

Biter

• Members
  • 1,786 posts
  • LocationIn your pantry being fat

The show might be good if RK wrote it.

From all the interviews he's done, I'm not so sure. It sounds like he's totally cool with and even encourages the other writers to completely fuck up the story.

Scissor me, Grey Worm!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!