Midseason Finales: Which One Was Your Favorite?

- - - - - midseason finale

What was your favorite midseason finale? (48 )

Which midseason finale did you think was the best?

1. Pretty Much Dead Already- The Sophia reveal took my breath away. (20 [40.00%])

40.00%

2. Made to Suffer- Rick's raid into Woodbury was priceless (0 [0.00%])

0.00%

3. Too Far Gone- The Fall of the Prison and the Death of the Governor was amazing!!!! (30 [60.00%])

60.00%

Ironman16

Ironman16

Infected

• Members
If there is anything the Walking Dead does well on, it is midseason finales (it better, if we have to wait for 70 days until the next episode to return then they need to give us an episode which will satisfy us until they come back). What a midseason finale should do is close out the end of an arc that has been going on for a long time or start new one (which is what the Season 3 midseason did). In Season 2, we had Sophia coming out of the barn. Season 3, we had Rick and his group raid Woodbury to rescue Glenn and recently in Too Far Gone, we had the Governor launch his final assault on the prison. My favorite was Too Far Gone. The chat between the Governor and his group of soldiers, as well as Rick and the prison people was a nice build to the battle we got. It also ended the prison arc which went on for a season and a half. So tell me, which of the three was your most favorite?

farswell7

farswell7

Biter

• Members
  • LocationThe Land of Lincoln
I picked Too Far Gone but Pretty Much Dead Already is up there as well. Two of the most iconic episodes of the series IMO.

Made to Suffer.... meh..

Officer_Friendly

Officer_Friendly

Roamer

• Members
"Pretty Much Dead Already" gets my vote. Although the second season was rather bad overall, I have to say that this episode does stand out among the rest even though there are still a few logic errors and annoyances in it. "Too Far Gone" and "Made to Suffer" were very predictable and felt like they were sloppily put together.

Ironman16

Ironman16

Infected

• Members
Why no love for Made to Suffer?

farswell7

farswell7

Biter

• Members
  • LocationThe Land of Lincoln

Why no love for Made to Suffer?

Two very important storylines end in the other two, thus making it more dramatic... Made to Suffer is just a continuation of a storyline, thus IMO, making it less exciting. Made to Suffer is around the time season 3 really started dragging.

Joseph

Joseph

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationColchester, England.
Pretty Much Dead Already - 9.6/10. One of the best episodes ever, Sophia reveal nearly broke my heart to be honest.

Made To Suffer - 9.1/10 - A really good episode, the ending was pretty awesome with Daryl&Merle.

Too Far Gone - 9.8/10 - In my opinion, probably the best TWD episode ever. This was incredible!

DrAnguish

DrAnguish

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationCentral Florida USA
To me Pretty much Dead Already has some of the best moment in series history. The last 10 minutes of that episode when Shane snaps and gives his diatribe and then busts open the barn door, to the Sophia reveal was masterfully done. It also was good because it put an exclamation point on the 'Where's Sophia' storyline, and let us move forward from there.

Ironman16

Ironman16

Infected

• Members

To me Pretty much Dead Already has some of the best moment in series history. The last 10 minutes of that episode when Shane snaps and gives his diatribe and then busts open the barn door, to the Sophia reveal was masterfully done. It also was good because it put an exclamation point on the 'Where's Sophia' storyline, and let us move forward from there.

Not to mention the fact that before hand either Sophia's name or the barn was dropped and mentioned before Barnaggedon. So it was great buildup to the last 10 minutes.

nazacuckoo

nazacuckoo

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationTo your left
I vote for "Too Far Gone", which is also my favourite episode of the entire series.
I also really like the other two, but "Pretty Much Dead" already wins second place because of the Sophia reveal.

"There's no "I" in team" 

"Yeah, there's no "U" either. So I guess if I'm not on the team, and you're not on the team, nobody's on the God damn team. The team sucks!"

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

Hallelujer! Im STILL Alive!

• Members

"Pretty Much Dead Already" gets my vote. Although the second season was rather bad overall, I have to say that this episode does stand out among the rest even though there are still a few logic errors and annoyances in it. "Too Far Gone" and "Made to Suffer" were very predictable and felt like they were sloppily put together.

Agreed. Especially considering the first 80% of Too Far Gone (besides the Hershel/Gov convo) was absolutely retarded and very forgettable. There were a lot of times where I actually started screaming at my TV in frustration

Imagine a group of a hundred motorcycles driving down a freeway. Eventually, they hit a junction. One road goes northwest and the other goes northeast. So one guy, we'll call him S, says, "Let's go northwest!" A mile past the intersection, a semi careens into the group and kills ninety of them. Ten are wounded, but they survive and keep going. Eventually, they hit 10,000 miles. S suddenly has his consciousness thrown into his past body right before the junction. Now, he says, "Let's go northeast!" All 100 bikers survive. Happily ever after, right? But what about the ten, no nine, who went northwest and survived? What happens to the reality they were living? Does it just disappear now that S has changed the past? It's not like only bad things happened on that 10,000 mile journey. Maybe one of them fell in love with a gas station attendant and got her pregnant or maybe one adopted a homeless kid that joined the adventure. That 10,000 mile journey would be full of stories. Romances, farewells, friendships...the loss of those ninety lives is horrible and unfortunate, but what would rewriting their history mean? The nine who survived lived full lives and did the best they could with the hand they were dealt. How could it be right to just erase all that? Isn't that worth something? Is there a point to a world where everything is happy? Are people who struggle for a better life just idiots? Being human is about fighting even when it seems hopeless and finding happiness in a world that hates it. Are you saying that's worthless?

Officer_Friendly

Officer_Friendly

Roamer

• Members

Agreed. Especially considering the first 80% of Too Far Gone (besides the Hershel/Gov convo) was absolutely retarded and very forgettable. There were a lot of times where I actually started screaming at my TV in frustration

Yeah, I see what you mean. In my opinion, Too Far Gone is a very overrated episode. The whole episode felt very messily put together and cliché. Megan's death, The Governor's army fighting for a place that they were blowing fucking holes into, Super-Daryl, the Hollywood fight scene between Rick and The Governor, and the fact that Rick's group suffered such low casualties. Hershel's death was sad considering how much I liked the character and Scott Wilson's acting, but the way that Lilly showed up with a dead Megan in her arms shortly afterwards felt so out of place that it took me right out of the experience.

StrollingDead

StrollingDead

Roamer

• Members
Absolutely PMDA. I remember sitting there feeling out of breath when it was over- one of the high points of the series.

walkerbait13

walkerbait13

Biter

• Members
It was a really tough choice for me between pretty much dead already and too far gone. In the end, I chose pretty much dead already. The group's reactions to Sophia coming out of that barn were so heartbreaking. I really liked too far gone as well, but I think the former was even more pivotal to the group dynamic and the air of hopelessness.

CreepMeOut

CreepMeOut

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationToronto
Too Far Gone was definitely my favorite. A lot happens. Hershel dies, TG dies, Meagan dies, the prison falls and the show leaves off on one of it's biggest cliff hangers yet. It was one my favorite episodes to date. Pretty Much Dead Already is a very close second. In my opinion the ending of that episode was the most shocking and saddest moment of the series.

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

• Members

Yeah, I see what you mean. In my opinion, Too Far Gone is a very overrated episode. The whole episode felt very messily put together and cliché. Megan's death, The Governor's army fighting for a place that they were blowing fucking holes into, Super-Daryl, the Hollywood fight scene between Rick and The Governor, and the fact that Rick's group suffered such low casualties. Hershel's death was sad considering how much I liked the character and Scott Wilson's acting, but the way that Lilly showed up with a dead Megan in her arms shortly afterwards felt so out of place that it took me right out of the experience.

This comment getting downvotes makes absolutely no sense considering everything stated is a fact (besides the last sentence)

Imagine a group of a hundred motorcycles driving down a freeway. Eventually, they hit a junction. One road goes northwest and the other goes northeast. So one guy, we'll call him S, says, "Let's go northwest!" A mile past the intersection, a semi careens into the group and kills ninety of them. Ten are wounded, but they survive and keep going. Eventually, they hit 10,000 miles. S suddenly has his consciousness thrown into his past body right before the junction. Now, he says, "Let's go northeast!" All 100 bikers survive. Happily ever after, right? But what about the ten, no nine, who went northwest and survived? What happens to the reality they were living? Does it just disappear now that S has changed the past? It's not like only bad things happened on that 10,000 mile journey. Maybe one of them fell in love with a gas station attendant and got her pregnant or maybe one adopted a homeless kid that joined the adventure. That 10,000 mile journey would be full of stories. Romances, farewells, friendships...the loss of those ninety lives is horrible and unfortunate, but what would rewriting their history mean? The nine who survived lived full lives and did the best they could with the hand they were dealt. How could it be right to just erase all that? Isn't that worth something? Is there a point to a world where everything is happy? Are people who struggle for a better life just idiots? Being human is about fighting even when it seems hopeless and finding happiness in a world that hates it. Are you saying that's worthless?

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators

This comment getting downvotes makes absolutely no sense considering everything stated is a fact (besides the last sentence)

Huh? That is not fact, it is an opinion. Stating something is overrated is not a fact. Stating that it felt messily put together is still an opinion. Even if the majority of people agree with you, it's still an opinion.
The only thing that are facts are the actual events of the episode, not his interpretation of the events.

I didn't neg him, BTW.

Officer_Friendly

Officer_Friendly

Roamer

• Members

Sigh. Not everyone is going to agree with my opinion, I get that. I just wish that those who downvoted me could of at least created an elaborate retort to support why they did. While I do think that the rating system is a great way to display how many users agreed with my post, the downvotes; however, hold no weight if they aren't supplied with any reasoning. It makes me believe that users downvote me strictly because my opinion is different in contrast to theirs. I mean, come on, isn't that the purpose behind this forum anyway? To discuss and debate various topics?

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

• Members

Huh? That is not fact, it is an opinion. Stating something is overrated is not a fact. Stating that it felt messily put together is still an opinion. Even if the majority of people agree with you, it's still an opinion.
The only thing that are facts are the actual events of the episode, not his interpretation of the events.

I suppose that's right to an extent. Messily put together can be an opinion, but what do you call the events where they were blowing up the prison (their motivation) anything but messy?

The episode was cliche. I suppose cliche can be an opinion, but like OF said, it had the Hollywood fight scene with Rick and the Gov, Daryl being Super Daryl, grenades being giant balls of fire, etc. It kind of followed a very textbook definition of cliche (the little moments. Not the big picture that ended with a dead baby and the heroes "losing")

Oh, and as a sidenote, Megan's death might be my second or third least favorite moment in the series next to the well walker and Lori flipping her car over on an empty road. I literally just stared at my TV in disbelief and said, "Are. You. Fucking. Kidding. Me?" Lily definitely lost a few points from me, there

Sigh. Not everyone is going to agree with my opinion, I get that. I just wish that those who downvoted me could of at least created an elaborate retort to support why they did. While I do think that the rating system is a great way to display how many users agreed with my post, the downvotes; however, hold no weight if they aren't supplied with any reasoning. It makes me believe that users downvote me strictly because my opinion is different in contrast to theirs. I mean, come on, isn't that the purpose behind this forum anyway? To discuss and debate various topics?

Agreed

Ironman16

Ironman16

Infected

• Members

The episode was cliche. I suppose cliche can be an opinion, but like OF said, it had the Hollywood fight scene with Rick and the Gov, Daryl being Super Daryl, grenades being giant balls of fire, etc. It kind of followed a very textbook definition of cliche (the little moments. Not the big picture that ended with a dead baby and the heroes "losing")

I never seen Hollywood fight scenes like that in the past before, so I guess that's why it never seemed cliche to me. Anyways, I stick by my opinion that this episode is the best midseason finale and the best episode of the series.

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

• Members
You've never seen a fist fight between a good guy and bad guy before?

Officer_Friendly

Officer_Friendly

Roamer

• Members

I never seen Hollywood fight scenes like that in the past before, so I guess that's why it never seemed cliche to me. Anyways, I stick by my opinion that this episode is the best midseason finale and the best episode of the series.

Seriously? These cliché fistfights are implemented into every recycled summer action film, and they always follow the same pattern, too. The hero and villain take a few shots at each other, the villain gets the upper hand advantage, and the hero, moments away from their demise, manages to defeat the villain. Like, come on, was anybody honestly expecting The Governor to asphyxiate Rick? Rick is the protagonist for fuck's sake.

Ironman16

Ironman16

Infected

• Members

Seriously? These cliché fistfights are implemented into every recycled summer action film, and they always follow the same pattern, too. The hero and villain take a few shots at each other, the villain gets the upper hand advantage, and the hero, moments away from their demise, manages to defeat the villain. Like, come on, was anybody honestly expecting The Governor to asphyxiate Rick? Rick is the protagonist for f***'s sake.

Dude, keep in mind that Rick had an injured hand from his fight with Tyreese. What's even more is that Rick was shot in the leg when the battle shot and the legs are your foundation. Also it was the only way to have a 1-2-3 puch type of death for the Governor without it being unrealistic pandering.

Ironman16

Ironman16

Infected

• Members

You've never seen a fist fight between a good guy and bad guy before?

I have seen a fight between a good guy and a bad guy, but I haven't a one-sided one.

Joseph

Joseph

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationColchester, England.
JesusMonroe you complain about every episode, I think I've seen maybe 1 positive post from you ever. It's your opinion and that's fine but I just don't see the point of you watching the show or even watching the show and then coming on here to complain about it. Even when the shows at it's best, you still complain. Just watch the episodes and enjoy them and stop being so negative. Walking Dead is the most popular show on tv, definitely one of the best (probably the best) and just in general, it's a damn good show so enjoy it.

I do apologize if I sound a bit harsh but I just think you need to enjoy the show for once.

nazacuckoo

nazacuckoo

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationTo your left

The reason these comments get downvotes is because of the tone in which they are stated.
For example, there's a fine line between saying "This episode sucked balls" and "I didn't like this episode very much".
The second post wouldn't get many downvotes, if at all. The first one would, because it sounds like the poster is stating his/her opinion as fact,
and not doing it in a really nice way either. And if I may be frank, the post with the highest amount of downvotes in this thread is a perfect example of what I'm trying to say.

"There's no "I" in team" 

"Yeah, there's no "U" either. So I guess if I'm not on the team, and you're not on the team, nobody's on the God damn team. The team sucks!"

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!