Under The Comic Covers Podcast - The Walking Dead -And More- Comic Review

* * * * * 3 The Walking Dead comic review podcast

wasp

wasp

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationBay Area CA
Listening to the Podcast now and loving it.

I would love to do a podcast like this for Saga. But I have no one to do it with.
This is a Lying Cat, and Lying Cats always play by the rules...At least they're supposed to.

gracie lou

gracie lou

Glenn Groupie

• Members
  • Locationunder the comic covers

Listening to the Podcast now and loving it.

I would love to do a podcast like this for Saga. But I have no one to do it with.

Saga is one that we'd like to review when we expand the podcast, actually!

Thanks for listening, wasp. :)

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

Hallelujer! Im STILL Alive!

• Members
Just watched. Loved it, as usual. I agreed with Mr. Blahg about the Michonne scene. I saw that she had somewhat a point...I mean, people are looking up to Ezekiel and he can't be breaking down at a time like this, but the "tough love" bit is getting old. It would've been a much more effective moment if Michonne actually comforted him or sat with him in silence, not knowing what to say. This is basically the equivalent of Rick after the prison massacre.

As for the art, the only thing I don't like (besides the Maggie panel) is Carl. He's looked so weird and too old since All Out War has begun. I don't know what it is but he just doesn't look right. If they're trying to show him age, it should've been way more gradual than this

Anyway, I enjoyed it as usual. As for everyone else enjoying the podcast, write in! Even if you don't have a question and just something that warrants discussion, do it on Wednesday!

Imagine a group of a hundred motorcycles driving down a freeway. Eventually, they hit a junction. One road goes northwest and the other goes northeast. So one guy, we'll call him S, says, "Let's go northwest!" A mile past the intersection, a semi careens into the group and kills ninety of them. Ten are wounded, but they survive and keep going. Eventually, they hit 10,000 miles. S suddenly has his consciousness thrown into his past body right before the junction. Now, he says, "Let's go northeast!" All 100 bikers survive. Happily ever after, right? But what about the ten, no nine, who went northwest and survived? What happens to the reality they were living? Does it just disappear now that S has changed the past? It's not like only bad things happened on that 10,000 mile journey. Maybe one of them fell in love with a gas station attendant and got her pregnant or maybe one adopted a homeless kid that joined the adventure. That 10,000 mile journey would be full of stories. Romances, farewells, friendships...the loss of those ninety lives is horrible and unfortunate, but what would rewriting their history mean? The nine who survived lived full lives and did the best they could with the hand they were dealt. How could it be right to just erase all that? Isn't that worth something? Is there a point to a world where everything is happy? Are people who struggle for a better life just idiots? Being human is about fighting even when it seems hopeless and finding happiness in a world that hates it. Are you saying that's worthless?

wasp

wasp

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationBay Area CA

Saga is one that we'd like to review when we expand the podcast, actually!

Thanks for listening, wasp. :)

Hooray!

I would love to pitch in on that one if you do get it going. As far as I know the Lying Cat Crew in England are the only Saga podcast so far.
This is a Lying Cat, and Lying Cats always play by the rules...At least they're supposed to.

wasp

wasp

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationBay Area CA
I think Jason and I are pretty close to each other Geographically. We have the same area code.

gracie lou

gracie lou

Glenn Groupie

• Members

Just watched. Loved it, as usual. I agreed with Mr. Blahg about the Michonne scene. I saw that she had somewhat a point...I mean, people are looking up to Ezekiel and he can't be breaking down at a time like this, but the "tough love" bit is getting old. It would've been a much more effective moment if Michonne actually comforted him or sat with him in silence, not knowing what to say. This is basically the equivalent of Rick after the prison massacre.

As for the art, the only thing I don't like (besides the Maggie panel) is Carl. He's looked so weird and too old since All Out War has begun. I don't know what it is but he just doesn't look right. If they're trying to show him age, it should've been way more gradual than this

Anyway, I enjoyed it as usual. As for everyone else enjoying the podcast, write in! Even if you don't have a question and just something that warrants discussion, do it on Wednesday!

I didn't end up talking about the Michonne punch as much as I meant to, but I really had mixed feelings over the whole thing. Ezekiel does need to put all that emotion to the side for a bit and just do the job that he agreed to do. However, I think Michonne should have handled the situation a bit better. I prefer Michonne when you can see a bit of softness around the edges.

I didn't care for how Carl looked this past issue. Not so much the aging thing, but he just looked overly cartoony in some panels. Plus, the huge hat brim really took me out of the moment - it looked like an airplane landed on his head. Adlard seems to do that from time to time.

Yes, I know I keep saying it, but write in!! Mr. Blahg and I like to have that back and forth with listeners, and you guys often mention something that neither of us thought about. Listener insights make the conversation better.

Hooray!

I would love to pitch in on that one if you do get it going. As far as I know the Lying Cat Crew in England are the only Saga podcast so far.

I'll have to check that one out. I wonder if they will change their title to Honest Cat Crew. ;)

PorkTornado75

PorkTornado75

• Members
  • LocationAlexandria Safe Zone with Spencer`s pool table.
I am all caught up again and the show gets better with every episode , it was a perfect distraction from the crap i have been going through.

Who knows i might even write in. ...... ... .. .. .

"Yeah, let's fuck this dog."

Koibito

Koibito

Biter

• Members
  • LocationIn a Gangsta's Paradise ♪♫

I didn't end up talking about the Michonne punch as much as I meant to, but I really had mixed feelings over the whole thing. Ezekiel does need to put all that emotion to the side for a bit and just do the job that he agreed to do. However, I think Michonne should have handled the situation a bit better. I prefer Michonne when you can see a bit of softness around the edges.

I want to talk about it a bit.

I liked the whole moment where Zeke cried. It felt very genuine, and i can totally connect....with the basics of the scene, because when i'm sad, i will just cry and cry, and nothing can make me feel better until i just....feel better. Just stuttering, uncomposed and when my tears stop...they just come back even harder.

Spoiler

The Zeke moment is probably one of the more ''real'' depictions of grieving that i've seen in the comic for a looooong time.

And....i need to say....If someone punched me right after a family member died, even if it was my best friend throwing it....man, i'd tell that person to fuck off.

Yes, i can kinda understand the timing and the message she wanted to tell him.....but...the way she handled it was disrespectful, and felt...meanspirited. She couldve just gone off on him, really tell it all to his face....but the punch....No. Fuck that.

I love Michonne, but...man, i lost alot of respect for her this issue. I hope she manages to regain it soon enough.

That's just my 50 cents though.

bd629b0375becac7160e1d2f9cb1fae26e9b1917

gracie lou

gracie lou

Glenn Groupie

• Members
Yeah, that was my thought too, Koiboto Koibito. I was thinking, "Couldn't Michonne have just really laid into him?" I think a verbal slap in the face could have gotten her point across just as well. A good many people seemed to really enjoy it, though, so it's a fun point of discussion.

Jason

Jason

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationSan Francisco
I think it was definitely extreme, but seemed realistic. As a person,
I like Michonne a little softer around the edges too, but in stressful situations sometimes we revert to our worst selves. I would hate it if all these characters just suddenly started doing the "right thing" all the time. So I'm mad at Michonne, but proud of Kirkman.

Koibito

Koibito

Biter

• Members

Yeah, that was my thought too, Koiboto.

KoiBOTO.

KoiBITO.

(Damn it, one of them is an actual word. The other one is nothing.)

And....i see what you mean, Jason, still....i dont think it was the right way to handle it. I dont like that it was the way the scene was handled.

The scene felt genuine and really solemn, but then Michonne goes all

I just felt like it felt out of place and only put there to make Michonne go back to her old grumpy self somewhat. Which is totally (not) what i want after seeing her become a more open and glad person after meeting Ezekiel.

I think the scene wouldve been much better if it did just end with like....silence.

A bit like the Dale-Andrea scene, from volume 1.

Spoiler

It might be cliche or whatever and actually not optimal in the stressed situation they are in, but....fuck it, that's how consoling someone usually works. You help them go through the hard stuff so they can become someone who can function properly again, without episodes of sadness taking over their entire life and focus all the time.

And sometimes, the consoler will be at a loss for words, because they themselves aren't sure how to deal with it all.

You help them handle sorrow. That's how you handle it, even if it is a difficult thing to do.

Not '' You gotta toughen up, ya wuss. *punch* Fuck tha grieving process. ''

That said, the scene she had where she left him alone and told Rick that he wasn't feeling well....i liked that. I felt like she does understand, and that she probably isn't superglad at what she just did. So...yeah, if she feel like it was a mistake, then i'll be okay with it.

If she really did just punch Zeke and doesnt regret it...Then i'm gonna have a hard time forgiving her.

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

• Members

(Damn it, one of them is an actual word. The other one is nothing.)

Spoiler

Wait, what does Koibito mean?

Anyway, I've said it before, but I really do love that page

Imagine a group of a hundred motorcycles driving down a freeway. Eventually, they hit a junction. One road goes northwest and the other goes northeast. So one guy, we'll call him S, says, "Let's go northwest!" A mile past the intersection, a semi careens into the group and kills ninety of them. Ten are wounded, but they survive and keep going. Eventually, they hit 10,000 miles. S suddenly has his consciousness thrown into his past body right before the junction. Now, he says, "Let's go northeast!" All 100 bikers survive. Happily ever after, right? But what about the ten, no nine, who went northwest and survived? What happens to the reality they were living? Does it just disappear now that S has changed the past? It's not like only bad things happened on that 10,000 mile journey. Maybe one of them fell in love with a gas station attendant and got her pregnant or maybe one adopted a homeless kid that joined the adventure. That 10,000 mile journey would be full of stories. Romances, farewells, friendships...the loss of those ninety lives is horrible and unfortunate, but what would rewriting their history mean? The nine who survived lived full lives and did the best they could with the hand they were dealt. How could it be right to just erase all that? Isn't that worth something? Is there a point to a world where everything is happy? Are people who struggle for a better life just idiots? Being human is about fighting even when it seems hopeless and finding happiness in a world that hates it. Are you saying that's worthless?

gracie lou

gracie lou

Glenn Groupie

• Members
The thing about the Dale/Andrea scene is that there wasn't an immediate need for Andrea to get it together. Ezekiel doesn't really have the luxury of time to mourn, right now. Also, I think his break down wasn't completely about mourning his friends, but also the fact that he'd lost his confidence in his ability to lead. Especially, because they had complete trust in him and he failed them.

Jason, I hear you about people reverting to their worst selves when stressed - I know I do.

Sorry about the typo, Koibito.

Koibito

Koibito

Biter

• Members

Wait, what does Koibito mean?

Lover or Lovely....or loved one. Depends on how you want to use it.

Spoiler

I just like how it sounds, so i picked it as my username and it is a memorable name, since very few users around here have Japanese names. Makes mine stick out.

And i get your point, Gracie. There is no time, and that sucks for Ezekiel.

I guess....i just kinda connect with the people that just...grieve. People like Allen.....Ezekiel...and..yeah, those are the only people i can think as of now. They bawl, they dont know what to do....i can connect with those people, because when i've been at my loest low's....that's exactly what i'm feeling. Complete lack of emotional direction.

I can relate more to them than the characters that just hardens up instantly.

(Although admittedly, large part of why i liked Allen is because he had a uncanny resemblance to my dad *who gladly, is living and has both his legs intact*, and it made the whole leg-cutting scene so damn hard to read through.)

And you are forgiven, Babe. Honestly....YOU can call me KoiBoato anyday.

DaneBramage

DaneBramage

Biter

• Members
  • Location16 National Championships NCAA Div I Football
Zeke is a leader who just lost a shit ton of the parents, spouses/lovers and friends of his "Kingdom". What does he do ? He sits his ass on a comfy couch and cries wallowing in self-pity. (To me this is the way Michonne is seeing it- it's the way I saw it) his people are his Number one charge and he's dropping the ball. Michonne communicated this in the most successful way she knew. I'm DaneBramage and I endorse that decision.

Oh and Gracie, can you post the email for the podcast plz. Gracias.

"(When/If) You come at the King, you best not miss"- Omar Little

gracie lou

gracie lou

Glenn Groupie

• Members
comics@walkingdeadcast.com

For future reference, all the contact info is in the first post. :)

Koibito

Koibito

Biter

• Members
But that's also the thing, Dane.

He's NOT a leader. Not like Rick. Not Like Negan. He is someone who thought he could handle something way bigger than himself.

He has the role of one, but he isn't actually a very capable one. He admits to that.

So when he fucks up, it's naturally gonna hit him pretty hard. It doesn't excuse him of his role, but he's not Rick, the hardend police cop that has seen all kinds of shit. He's not Negan, the ruthless manical tyrant. He's just an old zookeeper that has gotten way in over his head.

And nobody here can actually ''endorse'' the decision. Think about it. (In real life examples)

Would anyone here ACTUALLY go up and punch someone who is grieving? Would anyone here think it is ever a good/valid idea to punch someone who is grieving?

Let's say you coach a sports team. Your team loses, you get sad. Would anyone like a punch out of fucking nowhere right in the teeth to feel better at that point?

No?

Exactly. Sure, that scene might make Ezekiel grow some courage or whatever, but when you guys say it's the right/reasonable thing to do....i'm sorry, but none of you actually believe that.

The verbal slap as Gracie said wouldve worked just as well, and would actually be the correct way to go about it if Michonne wanted to give him a lesson.. I would have applauded that. The punch was a dick move.

Sorry if it sounds like i'm getting angry, i just ship EzeXMich so hard that my feelings are all confused.

WHY CANT EVERY SHIP JUST BONE AND BE HAPPY? WHY ALL THIS SADNESS AND PUNCHING?

MrBlahg

MrBlahg

Infected

• Members
  • LocationSF Bay Area, CA
Hi everyone...

Just wanted to pop in and say thanks for all the support you guys are giving to Under the Comic Covers.

Koibito, I think we are alone in the wilderness when it comes to our support of Zeke's grieving process. I take pity on the guy... I mean... he just lost his tiger! Do you have a tiger? I don't have a tiger... I'd love to have a tiger. And Zeke did! Sad.

As for covering Saga... that is certainly on our minds. We have a few titles that I think we would like to cover monthly... but I would be curious as to what others would be interested in listening about. I know the one thing that Grace and I would not be covering would be superheroes... not our bag... but I like the idea of having a guest on every so often to talk about heroes.

Thanks again... and I can't wait to read some of your thoughts on Issue #120 and beyond. Send in those emails (or leave a voicemail message at walkingdeadcast.com. Use the little "send voicemail" tab on the right), we love the feedback.

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

• Members
Welcome and you're welcome! Thanks for doing the podcast!

I just want to say I'm not related to Jesus. I AM Jesus

gracie lou

gracie lou

Glenn Groupie

• Members

Welcome and you're welcome! Thanks for doing the podcast!

I just want to say I'm not related to Jesus. I AM Jesus

Yep, it's totally cannon that Jesus' full name is Samuel Paul Monroe. ;)

Koibito

Koibito

Biter

• Members

Koibito, I think we are alone in the wilderness when it comes to our support of Zeke's grieving process. I take pity on the guy... I mean... he just lost his tiger! Do you have a tiger? I don't have a tiger... I'd love to have a tiger. And Zeke did! Sad.

And glad to meet you, Mister Blahg. I'm Koibito, the Guru-Colorist-Pirate. (I color TWD comics on my freetime. You might've seen my thread, the ''walking dead in color'' one.)

And that's wrong, Gracie.

His real name is Yeshua Paul ''The Jesus'' Monroe.

Put emphasis on the ''THE''.

wasp

wasp

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationBay Area CA
My thought on Michonne and her reaction is remembering that Michonne is not a very nice, understanding, or compassionate person. As much as I love her, she is a bitch

She realized after Morgan died how shitty she was treating him, and did feel some genuine remorse about it. But she is not someone I would confide in if I was having a crisis of confidence. If Michonne walked in on Rick while he was crying about Carl she would have handled it very poorly, luckily it was Andrea who walked in on him.

Losing multiple people and a pet within a week is fucked. I went through that a few years back. And if someone punched me while I was having a bit of a breakdown it would not have been pretty.

wasp

wasp

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationBay Area CA

I didn't care for how Carl looked this past issue. Not so much the aging thing, but he just looked overly cartoony in some panels. Plus, the huge hat brim really took me out of the moment - it looked like an airplane landed on his head. Adlard seems to do that from time to time.

Yes, I know I keep saying it, but write in!! Mr. Blahg and I like to have that back and forth with listeners, and you guys often mention something that neither of us thought about. Listener insights make the conversation better.

I'll have to check that one out. I wonder if they will change their title to Honest Cat Crew. ;)

I have tried to think of a Title as awesome as Lying Cat Crew, but who is as well known and loved in Saga as Lying cat?

gracie lou

gracie lou

Glenn Groupie

• Members

My thought on Michonne and her reaction is remembering that Michonne is not a very nice, understanding, or compassionate person. As much as I love her, she is a bitch

She realized after Morgan died how shitty she was treating him, and did feel some genuine remorse about it. But she is not someone I would confide in if I was having a crisis of confidence. If Michonne walked in on Rick while he was crying about Carl she would have handled it very poorly, luckily it was Andrea who walked in on him.

Losing multiple people and a pet within a week is fucked. I went through that a few years back. And if someone punched me while I was having a bit of a breakdown it would not have been pretty.

If I am ever in mourning, I'll be sure to bypass Michonne and go directly to Heath. :P

I have tried to think of a Title as awesome as Lying Cat Crew, but who is as well known and loved in Saga as Lying cat?

I listened to a bit of their podcast (it's Lying Cat Cast, btw). They are funny, but their accents are so heavy that I had to fully concentrate on what they were saying to understand them, lol. I'm sure I'd get used to it after awhile, though.

Also, I agree - Lying Cat is awesome!

gracie lou

gracie lou

Glenn Groupie

• Members
We will record tomorrow (Thurs) evening, so send us your comments/questions on TWD #120 before then!

email: comics@walkingdeadcast.com

Twitter: @UtCCovers

Voicemail (right side of screen)

or call (650) 485-DEAD / (650) 485-3323

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!