Is Bringing The Show Closer To The Comics Too Little Too Late?

- - - - - comics Gimple Mazzara sucks TV show comics vs the show

That_Guy_From_NY

That_Guy_From_NY

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationQueens
Now the show is going to be sticking much closer to the comics... but is it too little too late?

The comic has still stayed consistently good even after the prison saga but the general consensus is that the Prison was the pinnacle of The Walking Dead. It hasn't really been able to match that intensity and awesomeness since and certainly has never been able to surpass it.

Now it seems like the execs and the people behind the show realize that the closer the show is to the comics the better it is so they will apparently from now on be sticking closer to it... but with the best part of the story already completely ruined and totally butchered, does getting the show closer to the comics really matter anymore? The show already missed it's chance to be one of the best shows on TV (Because of some douche named Glenn Mazzara)... so is it a case of "too little too late"?

I personally say "yes" it is too little too late... but that doesn't mean I don't think they should do it anyway.

I feel like a good portion of this shows potential has been utterly wasted and there has been absolutely irreparable damage done that no amount of damage control and fan appeasement can fix. The time for the creators to realize this show needed to be closer to the comics was after season 2; during that time the writers still had the opportunity to make the show fantastic when the Governor and the prison were introduced but after episode 4 of season 3, with the death of Lori the show blew it permanently. Then the show compounded all those mistakes by straying even further from the comics and butchering storylines and characters.

Even with all that in mind though I still feel like bringing the show closer to the comics now will make it the best show it can be... even if doing it sooner would have made it great rather than just good.

Guest_CraigTNelsonMandela_*

• Guests
i stopped watching after season 3, so at that point i would've said yes

from what i've read about season 4 thus far, i'll stick with yes

the biggest problem i had with the show was the treatment of the characters
they don't look much like the characters, and they sure as shit didn't act like the characters

not to mention outright butchery of story arcs, half + seasons of nothing but pointless filler that went NOWHERE, and basically ended up being As The World Turns...with Zombies

just...what's the point? they're going to heavily censor or outright change story arcs and characters to fit basic cable, and who wants that shit?

the best thing would be for the show to be cancelled, wait 5+ years or so, then start from scratch on HBO or some cable network as a direct adaptation with much better actors (or people who at least can be recognizable as who they're supposed to be)

/rant

john5xc

john5xc

Infected

• Members
I loved the prison arc (both versions) but I think it is far from the best part of the comic series. The on the road stuff after it and most of Alexandria is much more appealing to me. Especially the saviors and likely post war rebuilding direction.

Either way the show will still have big differences.Too Far Gone was extremely close but still remixed and the illness arc is obviously not from the comics but was excellent imo.

Straying from the comic's is one of the show's strengths. I have no interest in an exact follow. A remix is what it has always been said to be and it is what I want to watch. If you don't want a remix then you have to accept you won't like the show. No problem with that but no reason to continuously dwell on it either. This obsession so many people seem to have of watching shows they clearly don't like will never make sense. I'm all for any opinion someone has and expressing it but if they haven't liked it for multiple seasons and they are still watching it then i'm not much interested in their continued replies about it. They are just gonna be hate without anything else.

Personally I feel David's governor was far more interesting than comic gov. and I loved certain changes like exploring Lori's death which I thought was well done. I don't consider she didn't get killed in a gunfight which is bad because it happened in the comics as a valid complaint when it comes to quality. This is not a direct adaptation. It's ridiculous to be judging it on the merits that it should be one which form lurking here seems to be common. So much bias it seems impossible to really have a discussion on the subject.

wow long first post lol

zack

zack

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationThe Other Side
Since I've never read the comics I don't know what you're talking about. I really like the Walking Dead.

"I don't believe that things happen for the best. I do believe, however, that it is possible to make the best of things that happen."

Tyler

Tyler

Lurker

• Members
  • Locationsomewhere safe
I don't think so.

I think the stuff on the road is some of the best stuff from the Comic. I preferred it then most of the Prison stuff.

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

Hallelujer! Im STILL Alive!

• Members

Since I've never read the comics I don't know what you're talking about. I really like the Walking Dead.

Ok

Imagine a group of a hundred motorcycles driving down a freeway. Eventually, they hit a junction. One road goes northwest and the other goes northeast. So one guy, we'll call him S, says, "Let's go northwest!" A mile past the intersection, a semi careens into the group and kills ninety of them. Ten are wounded, but they survive and keep going. Eventually, they hit 10,000 miles. S suddenly has his consciousness thrown into his past body right before the junction. Now, he says, "Let's go northeast!" All 100 bikers survive. Happily ever after, right? But what about the ten, no nine, who went northwest and survived? What happens to the reality they were living? Does it just disappear now that S has changed the past? It's not like only bad things happened on that 10,000 mile journey. Maybe one of them fell in love with a gas station attendant and got her pregnant or maybe one adopted a homeless kid that joined the adventure. That 10,000 mile journey would be full of stories. Romances, farewells, friendships...the loss of those ninety lives is horrible and unfortunate, but what would rewriting their history mean? The nine who survived lived full lives and did the best they could with the hand they were dealt. How could it be right to just erase all that? Isn't that worth something? Is there a point to a world where everything is happy? Are people who struggle for a better life just idiots? Being human is about fighting even when it seems hopeless and finding happiness in a world that hates it. Are you saying that's worthless?

NAGILLUM

NAGILLUM

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationCanada, eh!
Most definitely. It was too little too late after Season 3, as you said the Prison arc was one of the best or the best storyline to some people in the comic and they fucked it up really bad.

Sometimes I feel like it was too late as far back as Season 2 because the show has not been consistent on not only the storylines but none of the characters are the same as their comic counterparts.

Edit: ^ Example: Rick. I'm sorry but I really don't care for Rick in the show, he is so boring as a character. The constant 180's in personality don't help. Cop in Season 1, Crappy Leader Season 2, Insane Season 3, Crappy Leader Season 4
Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past, or the present, are certain to miss the future.

john5xc

john5xc

Infected

• Members

Most definitely. It was too little too late after Season 3, as you said the Prison arc was one of the best or the best to some people, storylines in the comic and they fucked it up really bad.

Sometimes I feel like it was too late as far back as Season 2 because the show has not been consistent on not only the storylines but none of the characters are the same as their comic counterparts.

I never got the impression that they wanted them to be like their comic counterparts. They are different on purpose. Why not just enjoy as a remix as intended? It's never been a secret they weren't going to follow them except loosely.

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

Hallelujer! Im STILL Alive!

• Members

I never got the impression that they wanted them to be like their comic counterparts. They are different on purpose. Why not just enjoy as a remix as intended? It's never been a secret they weren't going to follow them except loosely.

A lot of the characters they make are pretty bland and uninteresting and even act contradictory to their established personalities. It's kind of hard to swallow and just sit back and enjoy a lot of times

Imagine a group of a hundred motorcycles driving down a freeway. Eventually, they hit a junction. One road goes northwest and the other goes northeast. So one guy, we'll call him S, says, "Let's go northwest!" A mile past the intersection, a semi careens into the group and kills ninety of them. Ten are wounded, but they survive and keep going. Eventually, they hit 10,000 miles. S suddenly has his consciousness thrown into his past body right before the junction. Now, he says, "Let's go northeast!" All 100 bikers survive. Happily ever after, right? But what about the ten, no nine, who went northwest and survived? What happens to the reality they were living? Does it just disappear now that S has changed the past? It's not like only bad things happened on that 10,000 mile journey. Maybe one of them fell in love with a gas station attendant and got her pregnant or maybe one adopted a homeless kid that joined the adventure. That 10,000 mile journey would be full of stories. Romances, farewells, friendships...the loss of those ninety lives is horrible and unfortunate, but what would rewriting their history mean? The nine who survived lived full lives and did the best they could with the hand they were dealt. How could it be right to just erase all that? Isn't that worth something? Is there a point to a world where everything is happy? Are people who struggle for a better life just idiots? Being human is about fighting even when it seems hopeless and finding happiness in a world that hates it. Are you saying that's worthless?

NAGILLUM

NAGILLUM

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationCanada, eh!

Oh really? Darabont wanted to follow them as the same characters from the comic. It was the plan from the beginning.
Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past, or the present, are certain to miss the future.

john5xc

john5xc

Infected

• Members

A lot of the characters they make are pretty bland and uninteresting and even act contradictory to their established personalities. It's kind of hard to swallow and just sit back and enjoy a lot of times

Oh i'm aware that there are issues. (only Andrea was really messed up imo but mine isn't the end all of course) and don't support neglecting them. I just find it really annoying that changed from the comics deems it bad. I can't help but get the feeling that the second half of these characters were seen to not be like their counterparts they were just written off here. It's glaringly obvious in other threads.

john5xc

john5xc

Infected

• Members

Oh really? Darabont wanted to follow them as the same characters from the comic. It was the plan from the beginning.

Daryl, the CDC, Shane living past Atlanta and pretty much his entire arc, and numerous other characters are plenty of proof he wasn't following the comics directly imo. Which i support but you can't ignore it.

NAGILLUM

NAGILLUM

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationCanada, eh!

Daryl, the CDC, Shane living past Atlanta and pretty much his entire arc, and numerous other characters are plenty of proof he wasn't following the comics directly imo. Which i support but you can't ignore it.

It was actually more of AMC and other writers ideas. Darabont was the showrunner, but that doesn't mean he had complete control. Read some of Darabont's interviews about the Walking Dead after he left. Not everything was his idea, Darabont mentions wanting to stay close to the comics but AMC didn't want to. So you can't really argue that...

Darabont wanted a close adaption direction, not the way the show is now. Daryl I'll give you because he wanted to add some fresh new characters into the show but he wanted a close adaption.

Gravelord

Gravelord

Lurker

• Members
Most certainly. Season 3 did too much damage. I guess you could say the show is..."Too far gone."

But seriously. I think the show should go in it's own direction, rather than trying to go back to the source material. You see they pretty much gutted the prison arc, so can you imagine what they are going to do with "All Out War?" AOW may not be finished, but it sure as heck will be exciting and climactic (Probably). How can the show possibly transition battles on this scale to TV. It simply can't be done and look good. The show really, really needs to stop stealing from the GN and move the plot forward in it's own way.

Rudy5.png "Let the slaughter begin..."

Bestrafen

Bestrafen

Roamer

• Members
Darabont did not have complete control but he did over the major plot points such as the CDC. No matter who the showrunner was, all of them said they would use the major points in the comic but change it up a bit.

Therefore, the farm and prison were in the show but the details have been changed around. I'm sure later on, they'll use Alexandrea as well as a major point but the details that took place in that part of the story will change.

That_Guy_From_NY

That_Guy_From_NY

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationQueens

Ok

^^This

john5xc

john5xc

Infected

• Members

It was actually more of AMC and other writers ideas. Darabont was the showrunner, but that doesn't mean he had complete control. Read some of Darabont's interviews about the Walking Dead after he left. Not everything was his idea, Darabont mentions wanting to stay close to the comics but AMC didn't want to. So you can't really argue that...

Darabont wanted a close adaption direction, not the way the show is now. Daryl I'll give you because he wanted to add some fresh new characters into the show but he wanted a close adaption.

He had to have had some control over major storylines. Definitely with the CDC, Shane, and sophia to name a few. These are arcs that took place over a third of each season. He even wrote ts-19. It helps that Robert Kirkman is the biggest advocator of them all. That speaks volumes. It's rare that yo get a creator that isn't too stuck up with himself to realize changing the story will be fun.

• Guests

That_Guy_From_NY

That_Guy_From_NY

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationQueens

i stopped watching after season 3, so at that point i would've said yes

from what i've read about season 4 thus far, i'll stick with yes

the biggest problem i had with the show was the treatment of the characters
they don't look much like the characters, and they sure as shit didn't act like the characters

not to mention outright butchery of story arcs, half + seasons of nothing but pointless filler that went NOWHERE, and basically ended up being As The World Turns...with Zombies

just...what's the point? they're going to heavily censor or outright change story arcs and characters to fit basic cable, and who wants that shit?

the best thing would be for the show to be cancelled, wait 5+ years or so, then start from scratch on HBO or some cable network as a direct adaptation with much better actors (or people who at least can be recognizable as who they're supposed to be)

/rant

I want a reboot too but we are unlikely to get one I'm afraid.

zack

zack

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationThe Other Side

"I don't believe that things happen for the best. I do believe, however, that it is possible to make the best of things that happen."

zack

zack

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationThe Other Side

So, funny...Shouldn't have posted on this thread, but still like the Walking Dead TV series.

Serenity@sea

Serenity@sea

Do ya want a cookie?

• Administrators

Kirkman wrote Vatos (S104). Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that was a complete departure from the Comics.
From the very beginning, TBTB have stated that they are going to do a re-mix of the Comics.
Darabont's problems came more from AMC cutting his budget.

DeadCave

DeadCave

Resident Scribe

• *Members*
  • LocationUtah
I haven't "read" the comics either, just have glimpses of it now and again where-ever I can find them.
The rant about how messed up the show is compared to the comics is a useless argument. For millions of fans that have not (yet) read the comics the show is still the number one on cable. That says a lot by itself.
Saying the show "messed it up" is just an opinion but it's not the end all finality of the quality of the show. Granted I was at times disappointed with a few episodes per season but as innovated and groundbreaking the show has been thus far, it's managed to hold my attention and following for the last 3 1/2 seasons. I hate commercialized television period. I'm just glad that I can either watch episodes on line uninterrupted, or at least fast-forward through commercials when it's recorded. Then I go through the expense of buying the DVD for the last season and marathon my way though it... I still end up being inspired and enjoying what is offered overall.
Whenever I DO get around to reading the graphic novel from issue 1 to present then I'll judge that on it's OWN merit and make little or no comparisons to the show itself, except to view it as a different timeline or an alternate universe revolving around those characters.
It's a unique concept and both should be enjoyed for what they individually have to offer.
Turn your brains off and just enjoy each on their own.

69% of the people find something dirty in everything they read.  http://http://www.gofundme.com/c66cv4

That_Guy_From_NY

That_Guy_From_NY

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationQueens

Kirkman wrote Vatos (S104). Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that was a complete departure from the Comics.
From the very beginning, TBTB have stated that they are going to do a re-mix of the Comics.
Darabont's problems came more from AMC cutting his budget.

Yeah, the Vatos didn't exist in the comics.

I personally don't believe the show SHOULD follow the comics in every detail, rather I think the show should follow the comics in spirit and only really follow the major events. Like season 1 was pretty different from the comics if you wanna be real about it but the attack at the end of Vatos was near identical. The way the came stays very true to the tone of the comics is the same way the show should. Also major events like Lori dying during the Gov attack had no business being changed.

gracie lou

gracie lou

Glenn Groupie

• Members
  • Locationunder the comic covers
A couple of posts have been unapproved. Please be respectful of your fellow posters. Thank you.

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!