Lazarus

- - - - - Image Rucka Lazarus

DreaM

DreaM

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationWith the waste
This is one of the three best new comics from this last year, in my opinion (with Nowhere Men from Image and Uber from Avatar as the others). The second arc starts next week so it is a good time to jump on.

Here is an interview with Rucka about the series so far and what is to come: http://www.comicbook...rticle&id=49491

The story is set in the very near future where the dsiparity between the 1% and everyone else has become violent and almost feudal. The world is controlled by a few families who live in gated type communities, with anyone who doesn't work for them relegated to the waste. Some of the families have a Lazarus, a technologically-enhanced superhuman whose job it is to protect the family and enforce thier particular brand of justice. Forever is the Carlyle family Lazarus, and this is her story. There is warring amongst families as well as coupes within them. It is so great.

I can't rave enough about this book. It is very intelligent. In the same way that Nowhere Men adds to the story with backmatter in the form of mock-interviews, articles, etc. and Think Tank has its Science Class and Sheltered has the prepper newsletter, this book has a timeline in each issue that explains how we get from where we are now to where they are in the book, and it is almost scary in how realistic it is.

I really recommend this book.

"Who is the mother fuckingest of all the mother fuckers? This girl!" - Petra, Legacy of Luther Strode

PorkTornado75

PorkTornado75

Hallelujer! Im STILL Alive!

• Members
  • LocationAlexandria Safe Zone with Spencer`s pool table.
Going to check this one out sounds awesome!

"Yeah, let's fuck this dog."

gracie lou

gracie lou

Glenn Groupie

• Members
  • Locationunder the comic covers
Vol 1 came out last month, so I picked it up. I liked it, though not as much as DreaM, at least not yet. I'm adding it to my pull list; I'm interested to see where they are going with this story.

gracie lou

gracie lou

Glenn Groupie

• Members
I really enjoyed #5. Loved the introduction of Bobbie Barret in Mussleshell - interesting to see the story from the view of the 'waste'. I'm really going to like that. The beginning showing Forever as a child was just heartbreaking...

PorkTornado75

PorkTornado75

Hallelujer! Im STILL Alive!

• Members
  • LocationAlexandria Safe Zone with Spencer`s pool table.
I am 3 issues in and i love this book !

"Yeah, let's fuck this dog."

DreaM

DreaM

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationWith the waste

I found this issue very thick and had to read it twice to let everything sink in. It feels like they covered a lot, and it is a sign of good writing that despite the jumping around I didn't feel like any of the stories suffered for it.

I like that we get to see more of the waste and got a good sense of the helplessness they must feel. Maybe helplessness isn't the right word, but the lack of control over their lives. The parents sacrificing everything for a slight chance that their children could get lifted was incredibly touching, and I am worried for them over the next couple issues. I'm also excited to see how it all plays out. I figure at least one of them won't make the trip. And I also see a one getting lifted and the other left behind, and think this could create a lot of potential.

The young Eve stuff is a highlight for me. I really see her going rogue at some point, and these scenes give a lot of insight into how they control her loyalty and the effect that has on her. And it is good to see that someone actually cares about her (Marisol). I thought that line about "better than designed" was great. I am wondering how much is engineered and how much is human, and I like the way that Rucka is slowly letting it unravel.

The theft scene was also really good. It did a good job of showing the desperation of the waste and the humanity of Eve. Maybe it was more tactical than symapthetic, but I liked that she was more gentle with Emma and directed her anger at the guards. I am scared for her and her friends, but also see this as one more thing that will push Eve away from her family. (I think she will have to stop taking some of her pills before she can really see them for what they are, but seeds are being planted.)

And I can't wait for Jonanna to get hers.

"Who is the mother fuckingest of all the mother fuckers? This girl!" - Petra, Legacy of Luther Strode

gracie lou

gracie lou

Glenn Groupie

• Members

I found this issue very thick and had to read it twice to let everything sink in. It feels like they covered a lot, and it is a sign of good writing that despite the jumping around I didn't feel like any of the stories suffered for it.

I like that we get to see more of the waste and got a good sense of the helplessness they must feel. Maybe helplessness isn't the right word, but the lack of control over their lives. The parents sacrificing everything for a slight chance that their children could get lifted was incredibly touching, and I am worried for them over the next couple issues. I'm also excited to see how it all plays out. I figure at least one of them won't make the trip. And I also see a one getting lifted and the other left behind, and think this could create a lot of potential.

The young Eve stuff is a highlight for me. I really see her going rogue at some point, and these scenes give a lot of insight into how they control her loyalty and the effect that has on her. And it is good to see that someone actually cares about her (Marisol). I thought that line about "better than designed" was great. I am wondering how much is engineered and how much is human, and I like the way that Rucka is slowly letting it unravel.

The theft scene was also really good. It did a good job of showing the desperation of the waste and the humanity of Eve. Maybe it was more tactical than symapthetic, but I liked that she was more gentle with Emma and directed her anger at the guards. I am scared for her and her friends, but also see this as one more thing that will push Eve away from her family. (I think she will have to stop taking some of her pills before she can really see them for what they are, but seeds are being planted.)

And I can't wait for Jonanna to get hers.

Very well put, DreaM. I completely agree.

DreaM

DreaM

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationWith the waste

LIke the new avatar Gracie. That's a great cover.

Another good issue. I was surprised that the daughter died so quickly and cleanly, but maybe that's just too much Kick-Ass and Walking Dead numbing me up. When the started on the road I figured one of them would die before they made it, and then one of them would get lifted and the other would not. I also figured the parents were going to be left behind no matter what, dooming themselves to die as waste for just a chance their children could get lifted. But I heard an interview with Rucka that said Carlyle lifts entire families, so maybe if the kids get picked the parents will retire in relative comfort. Unless the girl gets picked, in which case they might not recognize her new "family", especially if she is lifted in a consort type of way.

I'm disappointed that we didn't see more of thier trip. They only have 182 miles to go, and didn't they start around 700? Maybe we'll see a bit more as they join the horde. That line of people heading to the lift was pretty amazing. I could almost hear thier stomachs dropping at the sight of it. They knew there would be a lot of people, but holy balls! And that's just coming from one direction.

The scene with Marisol and Eve was touching. I wonder if Marisol said she would kill Eve if commanded because she knows that's what Eve needs to hear in order to do what she must, or if she says it because she absolutely would kill Eve, knowing if she didn't she would, at best, be sent to the waste? I also think she is the number 1 contender for whoever is texting Eve right now.

The stuff with the biometrics and cameras was unsettling. That is a scary level of surveillance. It makes me wonder why anyone would risk going against one of the families when the risk of getting caught is so high, and the consequences so dire. Are there people who remember the world as we know it? Could that be motivation? It doesn't seem that far in the future, but that might be because the timeline didn't have an actual year, just 0- and 0+ the world they live in now. I guess that is just more evidence of the sheer desperation people feel.

DreaM

DreaM

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationWith the waste

Another great issue, and once again, very thick. I got to meet Greg Rucka briefly at the Calgary con last week and picked up a Carlyle patch. He really does write some of the best, most complex female characters out there. Queen & Country is my favourite (SIS agent); and Stumptown (private detective, soon to be ongoing) is also quite good. I highly recommend checking out some of this other stuff. And of course this comic really has so much going on it is one of the ones that I look forward to most every month.

So anyway, into the issue:

There was some interesting Carlyle family development this issue. I almost felt like her father was disappointed he didn't get to see her, but then seeing her would have meant the death of her or Marisol so it's a good thing he didn't. And she is only 10 years old. How can she possibly be ready for such a thing. And later on with Joanna and Eve, we got to see Joanna go soft and no one was watching. She seemed to feel almost bad for Eve. It's also worth pointing out that the Carlyle's kept their promise to Emma. They could have lied and killed her when they had what they wanted, but they didn't and that shows an odd kind of integrity. The same way a whole family getting lifted for one talented individual does. It seems like being Carlyle waste might not be the worst kind of waste to be.

So now they know where the bomb is likely to be detonated. And Carlyle wants to go through with the lift. I wonder how much of this is wanting to keep up appearances and having faith in his "daughter" and how much is just not giving a fuck. But then, if you were one of the hundred thousand people wanting to be lifted, and you found out a bomb was going to be set off that would kill, I don't know about bombs but 20,000 seems generous, so would like 1 in 5 of you, would you want them to cancel the lift or prefer to take your chances? I think many would risk it after having risked everything already.

And that Barrets. I am thinking Michael is a prime candidate for lift. He knows how to read and can administer basic first aid. He obviously has an aptitude for learning which would make him useful. And of course he is able bodies, having been a farmer. But these same things make him useful on the outside as well, so maybe he could be enticed to stay outside? Not likely, but possible. 

And now the bomb is with the Barrets. I hope they don't get blown up or implicated. Maybe they can play a role in it's disarming and have an even better chance of getting lifted. It could also put them in a position to see the Carlyle security force in action, going back to the possibility that Michael would prefer to make his skills useful on the outside. (I really didn't expect them to get this close to Eve for a while, if ever. I thought they showed us two parts in this world of extremes, but I am now looking forward to that maybe happening.)

DreaM

DreaM

Roamer

• Members
  • LocationWith the waste

I have really been loving the Conclave arc and getting to see more of the families. Rucka's world-building is just so incredible.

I think my favourite thing about this book is how much it challenges me. I know Malcolm Carlyle is not a good man. He manipulates his family and extorts allegiance from his allies. it is just too easy for him to call for the deaths of people who work for him (At one point Eve is led to believe she must kill her mentor Marisol) and even his family (Jonah, and not because of the betrayal but as a tactical, political move). He taxes his waste to the point they can never be out of his debt. He is willing to let a bomb go off in the middle of a huge crowd. He is for all intents and purposes a villain. By the standards of our world he is despicable - and yet I find myself thinking I would rather be Carlyle waste than anyone else's. The more I read this, the more I find myself understanding him and seeing him as better than his peers. Which leaves me feeling confused and conflicted.

This book challenges my ideas of goodness, of political morality, and of control. In a world where our governments have failed and we are left under the whim of the wealthy, it comes down to not what is right but what is the lesser of two evils. I just love the way it makes me question myself.

MrBlahg

MrBlahg

Infected

• Members
  • LocationSF Bay Area, CA

I finally got around to reading this latest issue, and I too have been loving the Conclave arc. Enjoying this book more and more each month, and Conclave has been my favorite arc.

Love the Saya avatar DreaM :)

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!