Legend Of Zelda

- - - - - zelda

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

Hallelujer! Im STILL Alive!

• Members
I thought I'd just make a general Zelda discussion thread since A Link Between Worlds came out today. Has anyone gotten it yet?

Imagine a group of a hundred motorcycles driving down a freeway. Eventually, they hit a junction. One road goes northwest and the other goes northeast. So one guy, we'll call him S, says, "Let's go northwest!" A mile past the intersection, a semi careens into the group and kills ninety of them. Ten are wounded, but they survive and keep going. Eventually, they hit 10,000 miles. S suddenly has his consciousness thrown into his past body right before the junction. Now, he says, "Let's go northeast!" All 100 bikers survive. Happily ever after, right? But what about the ten, no nine, who went northwest and survived? What happens to the reality they were living? Does it just disappear now that S has changed the past? It's not like only bad things happened on that 10,000 mile journey. Maybe one of them fell in love with a gas station attendant and got her pregnant or maybe one adopted a homeless kid that joined the adventure. That 10,000 mile journey would be full of stories. Romances, farewells, friendships...the loss of those ninety lives is horrible and unfortunate, but what would rewriting their history mean? The nine who survived lived full lives and did the best they could with the hand they were dealt. How could it be right to just erase all that? Isn't that worth something? Is there a point to a world where everything is happy? Are people who struggle for a better life just idiots? Being human is about fighting even when it seems hopeless and finding happiness in a world that hates it. Are you saying that's worthless?

Tyler

Tyler

Lurker

• Members
  • Locationsomewhere safe
Yeah.

Best Zelda since WindWaker imo

Valleyaggie

Valleyaggie

Biter

• Members
  • LocationSouth Texas
I have to return my Kool Kid badge on this one for sure. I have never actually played Zelda. In any format. Ever. I'm so ashamed....
"My mind is my weapon ... and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

• Members

Yeah.

Best Zelda since WindWaker imo

Wind Waker is my favorite game of all time. I like Skyward Sword a lot, too, despite all the bs in it. That good, though?

I have to return my Kool Kid badge on this one for sure. I have never actually played Zelda. In any format. Ever. I'm so ashamed....

Don't be ashamed! But, you should really get on that in the near future...

Imagine a group of a hundred motorcycles driving down a freeway. Eventually, they hit a junction. One road goes northwest and the other goes northeast. So one guy, we'll call him S, says, "Let's go northwest!" A mile past the intersection, a semi careens into the group and kills ninety of them. Ten are wounded, but they survive and keep going. Eventually, they hit 10,000 miles. S suddenly has his consciousness thrown into his past body right before the junction. Now, he says, "Let's go northeast!" All 100 bikers survive. Happily ever after, right? But what about the ten, no nine, who went northwest and survived? What happens to the reality they were living? Does it just disappear now that S has changed the past? It's not like only bad things happened on that 10,000 mile journey. Maybe one of them fell in love with a gas station attendant and got her pregnant or maybe one adopted a homeless kid that joined the adventure. That 10,000 mile journey would be full of stories. Romances, farewells, friendships...the loss of those ninety lives is horrible and unfortunate, but what would rewriting their history mean? The nine who survived lived full lives and did the best they could with the hand they were dealt. How could it be right to just erase all that? Isn't that worth something? Is there a point to a world where everything is happy? Are people who struggle for a better life just idiots? Being human is about fighting even when it seems hopeless and finding happiness in a world that hates it. Are you saying that's worthless?

Valleyaggie

Valleyaggie

Biter

• Members
  • LocationSouth Texas
Uhm. It doesn't seem to come on Xbox.
"My mind is my weapon ... and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

theblackboxlies

theblackboxlies

Top of the Food Chain

• Members
  • Locationಠ_ರೃ
I haven't played any of the Zelda games after Ocarina of Time incidentally. I always wnated to play Majoras Mask, but never got around to buying the game. Never got a Gamecube or a Wii so I'm afraid I'm very behind haha

Steph

Steph

So who talks first? You talk first? I talk first?

• Administrators
  • LocationThe Tardis
I looooove Zelda, it's one of my favorite franchises for sure. I did buy my daughter a 3DS for her birthday, and thought of getting this game for her, but it's a little beyond her gaming capabilities (she's turning 8). She is decent at Skyward Sword, but still has trouble reading so mainly does the farming for me lol.

Valleyaggie

Valleyaggie

Biter

• Members
  • LocationSouth Texas
I guess I'm going to have to find a Zelda emulator online because I'm just plain not gonna buy a 3DS just to play Zelda....

nazacuckoo

nazacuckoo

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationTo your left
I've played a few of these games, but not many. I like Ocarina of Time, how does ALBW compare to OoT?

"There's no "I" in team" 

"Yeah, there's no "U" either. So I guess if I'm not on the team, and you're not on the team, nobody's on the God damn team. The team sucks!"

Tyler

Tyler

Lurker

• Members
  • Locationsomewhere safe

I guess I'm going to have to find a Zelda emulator online because I'm just plain not gonna buy a 3DS just to play Zelda....

Come on now... you seriously think you'll just end up buying Zelda if you got a 3DS. One game? There's plenty of quality games on the 3DS.

But even then, I'd say it's worth it. But that's me. Zelda is consistently regarded as one of the greatest video game franchises in history and Ocarina of Time [An instalment in the franchise] is still the highest rated game ever and still consistently hits #1 in top tens from popular media sites every year.

Valleyaggie

Valleyaggie

Biter

• Members
  • LocationSouth Texas

Come on now... you seriously think you'll just end up buying Zelda if you got a 3DS. One game? There's plenty of quality games on the 3DS.

I know, I know. But I already am on the hook to get a PS4 sometime soon, since the ex-husband took that in the divorce. I already have an Xbox and my son has a Wii.... oh, wait. Yeah, so I'm going to go buy Zelda for the Wii now. :blush:

joshuakilpatrickl

joshuakilpatrickl

Infected

• Members
  • LocationNorth Carolina
Skyward Sword > every other Zelda game.

StarkExpanse

StarkExpanse

Lurker

• Members
Best Zelda in years, I'm gonna be honest. It really ditches the overbearing hand-holding and padding that ruined Skyward Sword for me and I'm digging the new item renting system. I'm glad to be treated like I have a functioning brain. I love how you can tackle most of the dungeons in any order you choose and how rupees actually mean something and feel like a meaningful reward.

It goes all the way back to A Link to the Past, keeping what made it great, while also adding the freshest elements the series has seen awhile. It keeps the same overworld, but the new 2D-drawing feature offers a new perspective on it letting the game surprise you in new ways. It's interesting how it recreates so much from its predecessor, yet take these big and brave steps forward at the same time.

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

• Members

I know, I know. But I already am on the hook to get a PS4 sometime soon, since the ex-husband took that in the divorce. I already have an Xbox and my son has a Wii.... oh, wait. Yeah, so I'm going to go buy Zelda for the Wii now. :blush:

Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask are on the Wii Virtual Store. Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess are Wii games. Wind Waker is a Gamecube game but that can be played on the Wii (buy a memory card). Make your choice

Best Zelda in years, I'm gonna be honest. It really ditches the overbearing hand-holding that ruined Skyward Sword for me and I'm digging the new item renting system. I love how you can tackle most of the dungeons in any order you choose. And rupees actually mean something, so that's a plus.

It takes everything that was good about A Link to the Past while also adding the freshest elements we've seen awhile. It keeps the same overworld, but the new 2D-drawing feature offers a new perspective on it letting the game surprise you in new ways.

Man, now I'm excited. I did get annoyed at the SS hand holding (I never had to think through a puzzle) as well

I'll be honest, though. I'm not a LTTP fan

StarkExpanse

StarkExpanse

Lurker

• Members

Man, now I'm excited. I did get annoyed at the SS hand holding (I never had to think through a puzzle) as well

I'll be honest, though. I'm not a LTTP fan

Ah. If you didn't like ALTTP, it's possible you won't like this. It's very much like that past the first hour. But if it was the presentation or lack of directions in progressing that bothered you there, that's much better in A Link Between Worlds with the 3D visuals and convinient map.

StarkExpanse

StarkExpanse

Lurker

• Members

I haven't played any of the Zelda games after Ocarina of Time incidentally. I always wnated to play Majoras Mask, but never got around to buying the game. Never got a Gamecube or a Wii so I'm afraid I'm very behind haha

They might be doing a remaster for Majora's Mask on 3DS in the future. They acknoledge the demand is there and have put a few references to it in A Link Between Worlds.

It was a very interesting Zelda game. It had a very interesting and innovative mechanic built around managing time and observing schedules, and forcing you to reset the clock. The story and setting wer also pretty interesting, especially for a Zelda title. I might even call them unsettling, particularly how you wear dead peoples' souls as masks to transform and how the game is constantly counting down to the end of the world (which will happen if you wait too long).

I personally always resetted the clock before the last 6 hours because I couldn't stand how tense the atmosphere of the game got with the constant tremors and bells increasing in frequency, and very eerie and melancholic music. It was surprisingly haunting.

mADAM Scorpious

mADAM Scorpious

Biter

• Members
I never got to play Zelda :( never owned a Zelda game when I was growing up and I only knew 1 person who had it, my uncle, but he wouldn't let my cousins and me play, ever, but we did get to watch him play Zelda :S ...as a result I though link was Zelda, very embarassing
Madam Scorpious <~<133€
http://nythe-scorpious.blogspot.ca/

EvieSessions

EvieSessions

S-mart Employee

• Members
  • LocationNashville, TN
Two MMO's suck my nerd time away. I wouldn't mind trying it sometime though.
I am you and what I see, is me.

Gravelord

Gravelord

Lurker

• Members
Big fan of Zelda and I have yet to play this...need to get on that. I hope it is good, Wind Waker is my favorite game in the franchise, so I hope it can stand up to a game of that caliber.

Rudy5.png "Let the slaughter begin..."

gypsyrose

gypsyrose

Biter

• Members
  • LocationHolly's room
my favorite zelda is the original gameboy version. Havnt played a zelda title since the first zelda for nintendo DS

ButtonsTheHorse

ButtonsTheHorse

Lurker

• Members
  • LocationOnett, Eagleland
I really wanted to get ALBW although I'm not a huge Zelda guy, but I have to save money for Mario 3D World. Almost have enough. I was really underwhelmed with 3D World when they revealed it at e3, but they completely blew me away with all the recent trailers. I hadn't been this excited for a Mario since 2007 with the first Galaxy. Both games are already out though.

I would also recommend Majora's Mask. It's my favorite in the series for how unique it is. There's also Wind Waker HD on the Wii U which I personally prefer to the original. It looks great and feels better thanks to the improvements. But not everyone has a Wii U lol... But it's definitely still one of my favorites.

I also really love Twilight Princess, so that's sort of my top 3. Might change once I play ALBW
"There's nothing worse than unexpected lava" ~ pokecapn

auximenes

auximenes

Lurker

• Members

Uhm. It doesn't seem to come on Xbox.

Check this page for a NES emulator, then find some .roms. You'll be happy you did. It's old, but I used to use NESticle.

Brian Herriot

Brian Herriot

Infected

• Banned
Zelda is my favorite game series.

Yet I must confess I despise every last game labelled "Zelda" which came after The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time.

Why?

Eiji Aonuma.

In my view the man is a no talent hack that couldn't develop a decent Zelda game to save his life.

Trains, robots, endless puzzles and non Hyrule locales do not a true Zelda game make as far as I'm concerned and these things are generally staples of "Aonuma Zelda".

What I consider true Zelda games are games 1-4 of the series beginning on NES and ending at the N64 with Ocarina Of Time.

Wind Waker I view as the greatest betrayal of a fanbase in gaming history, it was a total bait and switch to what they originally showed off to us at Spaceworld 2000 and Nintendo has admitted that the hatred over this game almost killed off the Zelda series.

Eiji Aonuma has been a cancer on The Legend Of Zelda franchise which is why it has been on such a severe decline over the past decade.

Though ironically one of his games an "Aonuma Zelda" that being Twilight Princess became the highest selling game of the series mainly because it served as a total repudiation to everything Wind Waker stood for and plus Aonuma was forced to create it by fan demand.

The game itself sucked and you could tell Aonuma's heart wasn't really in it (as he prefers to make Zelda as weird and inappropriate as possible using his sick ideas) and yet gamers still bought it in droves to prove to Nintendo once and for all which art style and represenation of Link that they prefer moving forward.

Aonuma keeps trying to force the ugly Wind Waker styles down our throats however with several Wind Waker esque games on the handheld system and the recent abysmal failure that was "Wind Waker HD" on the failing Wii U.

Nintendo needs to learn its lesson already and hand this guy his pink slip.

Its not that he should be fired, its that the man should of never been hired by Nintendo (or any game company for that matter) to begin with.

He sucks, his ideas suck, his idea of "Zelda" sucks.

The fanbase only responded to Aonuma Zelda when they thought it was returning to the Miyamoto and Takashi Tezuka Lord Of The Rings style of the past which was Twilight Princess attempting to emulate what was good about Ocarina Of Time.

Not surprisingly the fanbase is responding positively to LBW now as Aonuma has tried to hold most of his own sick innappropriate ideas in check and basically has created a kind of LTTP tracer of a game.

Of course its still garbage as its an Aonuma product (this time simply being overeasy instead of all around crappy) but it sucks less than many of his other "Zelda's" because he sticks very close to what gamers loved about LTTP ie simple arcade combat in a proper Hyrule overworld setting (which is what Zelda always needs but seldom ever gets with Aonuma in charge).

JesusMonroe

JesusMonroe

• Members

Wind Waker I view as the greatest betrayal of a fanbase in gaming history, it was a total bait and switch to what they originally showed off to us at Spaceworld 2000 and Nintendo has admitted that the hatred over this game almost killed off the Zelda series.

Wind Waker is my favorite Zelda game so I'm going to throw something in here.

The reason that game "betrayed" fans is because it showed a different art style at the Spaceworld demo. Graphics don't make a great game. The game was fantastic and looked beautiful. It's art style held up more than Ocarina of Time before it was remade. It's not like the game was for children. It had some dark moments. Plus, the game perfectly emulated what I love about Zelda; adventure. I didn't think sailing was boring. I actually often stopped at every island or pirate outpost and killed all of the pirates there. The game is simply amazing (triforce hunt not included, but I heard that was fixed in the remake)

Though ironically one of his games an "Aonuma Zelda" that being Twilight Princess became the highest selling game of the series mainly because it served as a total repudiation to everything Wind Waker stood for and plus Aonuma was forced to create it by fan demand.

The game itself sucked and you could tell Aonuma's heart wasn't really in it (as he prefers to make Zelda as weird and inappropriate as possible using his sick ideas) and yet gamers still bought it in droves to prove to Nintendo once and for all which art style and represenation of Link that they prefer moving forward.

This isn't really true considering they went with a different approach in Skyward Sword and many complained it wasn't going back to the Twilight Princess art style.

Aonuma keeps trying to force the ugly Wind Waker styles down our throats however with several Wind Waker esque games on the handheld system and the recent abysmal failure that was "Wind Waker HD" on the failing Wii U.

I don't really like the handheld games and I haven't played HD but it doesn't seem like a failure

http://wiiudaily.com...waker-hd-sales/

Many people have started to prefer Aonuma Zelda games actually. While there are people who will say Link to the Past or Ocarina of Time is the best, there are many who would put Skyward Sword, Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, and yes, even Twilight Princess above them

StarkExpanse

StarkExpanse

Lurker

• Members
Wind Waker has an amazing art style and probably has my favorite art in the whole franchise. It's just so expressive and colorful.

Skyward Sword and Phantom Hourglass are the only games in the franchise I actually consider a bit disappointing. Skyward Sword would have been alot better if it ditched Fi's incredibly frequent and annoying interruptions to relay obvious tips. Phatom Hourglass had a bland soundtrack for the most part and they really should have cut down the repeating of floors in the central dungeon (something Spirit Tracks did a good job fixing). But even they were still enjoyable and interesting games.

I don't get the hate for Twilight Princess. It had good dungeons all-around, a big world, several interesting bosses/scenarios, some fun mini-games, and Midna was definitely no Navi.

Same for Majora's Mask. Incredibly interesting features that still remain unique to this day, a surprisingly interesting story and meloncholic mood, interesting dungeon design (dungeon environments are far more in quantity than people give it credit for), a ton of developed side-content, and a dense and layered overworld. I hope it gets a 3DS remaster like Ocarina of Time.

Of course its still garbage as its an Aonuma product (this time simply being overeasy

Every Zelda game is easy past Zelda II. That doesn't mean they aren't very fun and interesting.

ALTTP and OoT aren't perfect, either. ALTTP has very short dungeons and a vague sense of direction/objective for the player right out of the SNES era. Ocarina of Time has a particularly vapid overworld for the series and some obtuse requirements to progress like having to almost immediately backtrack to Kokiri Forest with your only hint being your fairy saying "I wonder what Saria's doing..." so you can play a song to a grump in your way. Both are easy once you are accustomed to the gameplay even despite the far less fluid controls, outside of a very few specific obstacles and enemies.

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!