Caring For The Elderly/scam Artists/fatigue/heartbrokenness

- - - - - Elderly parents scam artists

theglassintheguvseye

theglassintheguvseye

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationEye Socket
PHEW. I have spent the last few months trying to help my 82 year old mother with life in general. She's handicapped, blind in one eye, went mostly blind in the other earlier this week and now they say it's glaucoma. It's her last eye!!!! All of this is difficult but bearable. We live with her, Mr. Glass and I.

I knew what I was getting into somewhat by moving here. It was necessary and it is a privilege to be able to help. I am fortunate that I have a flexible enough schedule to take this on. She's my mama after all. But, it's really become what a dear friend would refer to as a rolling cluster fuck. It is consuming my life completely. It is also breaking my heart.

The most heart breaking part is not the physical, mental and visual impairments. Those were expected. It's the rate at which she's been taken advantage of for YEARS. I just got off the phone with a magazine "sweepstakes" company. Mom's been being charged 87 dollars/month on her Visa card for God knows how long for about 10 magazine subscriptions. She can not read anything but large print books. She can not read glossy magazines. Currently, she can't read ANYTHING. She claims these are sent to her for free. NO, they are not free. The worst part is that she is subscribed to the following: Maxim, Seventeen, Martha Stewart's Bridal Mag and Forbes. She is PAYING for these. Yes, mom wants to keep up on teen fashion, look at half naked women, has a vast portfolio of stocks and is a true entepreneur at 82 yoa. She also must have a beau b/c both of her daughters are MARRIED.

Last month it was a "Financial Services Company". $998 on her Discover card. I was told by a girl named "Rachel" that mom authorized the charge. I was insulted by her lying and telling me that there was a "Federal Recording" of mom verbally authorizing the charge. If you know me by now, you know that I do not take kindly to having my intelligence insulted. I laughed out loud at Rachel and called every day with a string of insults and profanity. During one call, I told her that during my daily telephone debriefing with the POTUS, he remarked to me that he got wind of a Federal Recording of her OBGYN talking about his concern for Rachel's labial cankers and anal warts. This is the day that she blocked my number. Yes, even when I'm miserable, I am evil and have a sense of humor about things. It keeps me semi sane.

15 years ago, she was scammed out of $15K by some dude who is now in prison so this is not a new thing. There must be a list somewhere that every person over 65 is on. That or my mom's phone number is listed in the dictionary next to the word "sucker". I know it's not uncommon but I come across things at least once a week. It takes HOURS to undo what's been done. Still, I do it. Since July, I have essentially regained 3-4 grand for mom. I am sure it will continue as I go through her check registers, bills, mail, etc.

There is far more than this but I'll stop now. I searched for a thread about this but found nothing so if it's a repeat, please feel free to move it. If you are in a similar situation and want to, please share. As we all know, misery loves company. Thanks for listening!

Steph

Steph

So who talks first? You talk first? I talk first?

• Administrators
  • LocationThe Tardis
I'm going to assume that there's no way to get any of that money back, either. :(

theglassintheguvseye

theglassintheguvseye

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationEye Socket
The 998 was credited on this statement. The magazines will cease billing her card. The 15K is long gone but the dude has to send a check for $10 or so as he somehow earns money from some kind investments or something. But no, the money is gone for he most part. I'm just stopping the bleeding. I can't bring the lost $'s back.

Steph

Steph

So who talks first? You talk first? I talk first?

• Administrators
  • LocationThe Tardis
At least you've done that much, if not for you, it would have just continued. I know that's small solace though.

mADAM Scorpious

mADAM Scorpious

Biter

• Members
Im sorry to hear that Glass. People that prey on the elderly(or children or pets) should be shot. That's good that youre finally getting it straightened out, though, as brutal as is it. I'd ask for the recording and sue them, like how could they sell her a subscription to something like maximum? do the magazines actually come? perhaps someone stole her credit card info? if it was stolen, you should be able t recover the money or atleast the debt will be cancelled. that's a shame...Sucks about her glaucoma and her last eye, hopefully its manageable and her sight can be saved. Y'all are in my prayers... Caring for a disabled parent is never easy and I imagine your battle against these leaches and the unneeded stress of financial troubles is even worse, but keep fighting those crooks and hoping and look into anything that can ease her eyes, and remember to take time to recharge your batteries too. There is a bright side tho, by being the loving and caring woman that you are, you were able to stop this.
Madam Scorpious <~<133€
http://nythe-scorpious.blogspot.ca/

Valleyaggie

Valleyaggie

Biter

• Members
  • LocationSouth Texas
Glass, that totally sucks. My grandmother knew a man who actually won the Publisher's Clearing House Sweepstakes. So she spent her last dollars subscribing to every magazine and every offer that had any kind of chance of winning any kind of money. For years, our Christmas presents were the free shit she got for subscribing to that crap. You know, "we'll send you this handy card shuffler ABSOLUTELY FREE!" When she died, her house was full of magazines she never read and useless, junky crap she got from all of her sweepstakes offers. And she died broke. My mom and my aunt actually took her checkbook away in an effort to stop the madness. I understand how you feel. Those people are bottom feeders, preying on the intellectually challenged and the elderly. It makes me sick. Our thoughts are with you and Mr. Glass as you deal with all this. Email if you need to vent or just need a virtual hug.
"My mind is my weapon ... and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

theglassintheguvseye

theglassintheguvseye

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationEye Socket
Thanks, gals. It's tough and mADAM, there is no "federal recording". "Rachel" just thought I was stupid and would fall for a line of BS, thus the repetitive calls full of insults and expletives. That was one helluva good time, I tell ya. Plus, I got that money refunded. So, I got to abuse a parasite and won!

VA, sorry about your Gma. At a certain age, people will do just about anything to "win" a "prize". It's sad. I'm just gonna take mom's cc's from her and write all of her checks from now on. This will stop, starting NOW.

Mom's sight is slowly improving. She can see trees through the back door now. Can't see the swing set yet but I'm confident that she will. She'll have a slew of Dr's appts from here on out and we'll get her as right as we can with time.

I may email you later, VA. Hugs to all three of ya! :angelkitty:

I R Biter

I R Biter

Biter

• Members
  • LocationSpace City
I worked at West Teleservices briefly in 2001.....the script is worded to direct the person on the line to simply say "yes." They only need the word "yes" on the recording to put the charge on the person's account for whatever ripoff bullshit they're selling. The only people who don't immediately hang up are old people, and people who clearly don't speak English as a first language. They're usually just trying to be polite, and don't understand what they're actually saying "yes" to. I quit once I realized that. It's deliberately designed to be predatory. These people deserve to be called every day and harrassed. That's nothing compared to what they're doing.

CoffeeZombie

CoffeeZombie

Infected

• Members
  • LocationMichigan
Glass, I understand what you are saying. I have cared for the elderly for many years: sometimes in was in a LTC facility, at times it was home care. Now I only help people that are family friends. I have had to wade through bills, go over statements and the same type of things you have: it is not easy. And for you it is compounded because it is your mother. But I have something that may, just may, put a smile on your face.

This website is amazingly funny and informative: it is (or was, seems to have slowed WAY down over the last few years, but still has excellent links) the largest scambaiting community on the net. These are people who go looking to get scammed so they can scam the scammer. Here is the link:

http://www.419eater.com/

That is the home page. I would start with the "Hall of Shame" or the articles section.

People who scam the scammers: some of the names they use, and the things they get the scam "artists" to do is amazing.

theglassintheguvseye

theglassintheguvseye

Survivor

• Members
  • LocationEye Socket
Bahahaha! CZ: This takes me back to the good old myspace days. I had a group of friends on there who loved to respond to Nigerian scams, Russian brides, etc. We also baited and taunted white supremacists. Lord, those were some good times. I don't have to look for scammers these days. They pile up on mom's porch in outdated leisure suits, frothing at the mouth. They call her phone incessantly. I abuse them. It's fun! Most of them are from FLORIDA. Or here or somewhere in the US. Mom doesn't use computers THANK THE GOOD LORD. Still, I'm enjoying the "letters" section of your linked site. I love this one:

http://www.419eater....th_marculey.htm

Thanks for putting a smile on my face.

Welcome to RoamersAndLurkers.com, the largest walking dead forum and discussion board online. If you are a fan of AMC's The Walking Dead or Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead Comic Book, we invite you to peruse and enjoy our discussion board, and don't be afraid of joining in!